The Education Forum

Oswald returns from the Soviet Union

Jim Root

Tom, Greg and John

I am sorry that my answers have been rather short today. I have been working in several different places today so my posts have been from different locations and done quickly. I do appreciate your responses.

Tom, your June 18, 1961 article is interesting and I believe may help to illustrate one of my points. The fact is what was occuring in the "Pro Blue" program was occuring throughtout the military at that time. It was common place. Walker was unusual only in that he was made the poster child for what was seemingly the norm. With this in mind I go back to the timing of the Overseas Weekly investigation and article. The investigation begins shortly after Oswald announces his intention to return to the United States and the article is published at the same time that Oswald is granted permission to return.

This is not a defense of Walker or of the Pro Blue Program. It is factual and in my research was uncovered based upon trying to understand how a conspiracy and a group of conspirators capable of murdering a President could work to manipulate events to fit their needs and avoid being discovered while accomplishing their goal.

If Oswald was unexpectedly returning to the US and if, as Gerry Hemming assured me, Walker was part of the team that inserted Oswald into the Soviet Union Oswald may have considered Walker to be the leader of a very bad organization (I believe Oswald was quoted as saying something to that effect) Remember here that I buy into the Angelton discription of Oswald as an insect moving between orchids unaware that he was spreading the pollen of his flowery host, Oswald was, just as he said, a patsy.

Is it impossible to believe that a group of conspirators capable of murdering the President and getting away with it would have the ability to burn Walker as well? Is it impossible to believe that this group of conspirators would understand that Walker might be able to identify them especially if Walker knew that Oswald had worked for both Soviet and US intelligence as Walker stated in his last interview? Would it be logical to plant an easily discovered letter from a conspirator (John J. McCloy) written to Walker in a place where it could be easily found that could tie Walker to the Conspirators at the exact time that McCloy was resigning as Kennedy's chief arms negotiator and was, along with Maxwell Taylor in a serious dispute with Kennedy? Isnt it strange that at the same time that McCloy is penning his letter to Walker the FBI begins monitoring the movements of Oswald and that information about these movements is being forwarded to Richard Helms in the CIA. Is it because I took a close look at these events that I was the first person to find and publish the McCloy/Walker letter on this site (I have since located two additional copies strored in two additional places, was that to insure that a copy would be found if necessary)? Is it reasonable to think that Walker, after the assassination, would understand, especially if he had previously helped Oswald enter Russia, that the assassination of Kennedy was not the work of one lone nut but rather a group of very well placed conspirators and that he could be tied to both Oswald and them?

John

Walker did not receive the order to go to Little Rock while he was the commander of the Arkansa Military District . Walker was the Commander of the 101st Airborne at that time he was ordered into Little Rock by Maxwell Taylor. While in Little Rock Walker was given the command of the Arkansas Military District which oversaw, among other things the Army Missle Program. This was a major feather in his cap and Walker related such in a couple of local publications in his home town. It was the discovery of these articles that led me to the connection between Walker and Maxwell Taylor. I was shocked to find how close their relationship was.

The Army Missle Program was, during the time Walker was in command of the Arkansas Military District, being taken away from the Army and was becoming the civilian program known as NASA. This transition upset the Army bras, especially Maxwell Taylor (who was at the time Chief of Staff of the Army) and I find it interesting that Walker was positioned by Taylor, once again, to oversea this transition for his "old comrad in arms." Taylor would also resign from the military while in a dispute with a sitting President. Taylor would, rather radically, write a book that was highly critical of both Eisenhower and the US military. Talk about a person who became political via his military position, Maxwell Taylor makes the actions of others seem primitive. Taylor the hawk who thought even Eisenhower soft on Communism became a Kennedy supporter. Kennedy himself, sounding much the same as Walker would later be portrayed, was rabid in his portrayal of the Eisenhower administration as soft on communism. Many parts of Kennedy's speeches would have fit well into the Walker's Pro Blue Program. Taylor was so masterful in his criticisim of the Eisenhower administration that Kennedy would not only read Taylor's book but would quickly bring Taylor into his administration after he was elected.

I haVe suggested, years ago on this forum, that the 1960 election was swayed by the U-2 incident. If the Paris Summit had occured and Eisenhower and Krushev would have signed a Limited Test Ban Treaty in May of 1960 Nixon may have won the election. As it was Kennedy's bomber gap missle gap speeches resonated with the voters in 1960 and it was him that won the election. In Kennedys first press conference he announce the resumption of opern air nuclear testing and intorduced his lead arms negotiator John J. McCloy.....alll in the first two paragraphs of that press conference.

If my theroy is correct, Kennedy may well have been helped into the Presidency by the U-2 Incident. If, as my theory suggests, McCloy was responsible for orchestrating that event by the use of a patsy named Oswald we can perhaps understand why Kennedy would be so indebted to McCloy that he would feature him in his first press conference.

And perhaps we could ponder the thought that if McCloy had orchestrated the election of Kennedy and Kennedy then turned on McCloy.......perhaps it is not unreasonable to believe that McCloy could turn on Kennedy........

One more thought.....if we were to speculate that the above may have merit and Bobby Kennedy became aware of the roll that Oswald had played in the election of his brother to the presidency.....well one could only ponder how Booby might react.....perhaps as Walker suggested, Bobby was well aware of who Oswald was.

Greg

I was happy to read your comments:

"I do think the Limited Test Ban sealed Kennedy's fate. It was, as they say, the final straw.

As a side note. IMO, Oswald's trip to the Soviet Union was tied up with the Geneva negotiations."

Thank you.

Sorry for my wonderings....I am very tired,,,,

Jim Root

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, ok, maybe spartacus has that bit wrong. ''...Walker, a supporter of the John Birch Society, was totally opposed to school desegragation. However, as commander of the Arkansas Military District he was forced to implement the orders of Dwight Eisenhower.'' spartacus

Walker was ordered in by C. E. Wilson, authorised by Eisenhower.

A result was the election of anti integrationist Dale Alford who went on to formulate with other arch segregationists the ''muzzling of the military'' with the Chairman as Alford who describes Walker in much the same light as you would have him.

Guest Tom Scully
Tom

Thank you for the note.

My research is based upon hypothesis that has either been supported by facts or destroyed by facts. Each new fact uncovered has then provided new hypothesis which leads to new research. I do not see this as revisionist in any way. When I was in college I did a paper that compared Civil War era newspaper articles that reported upon the same events. I was amazed by how different the story could be told depending upon the slant the author placed upon the story. In many many cases it was difficult to tell that the same event was being reported except that the dates and the headlines usually allowed me to assume the stories were about the same event.

So it is with history in geneeral.....we say that history is told by tthe victors....one persons freedom fighter is another persons terrorist. How we interperet events depends upon our views and the slants we wish to place upon the facts we uncover.

For myself the Walker story began as a contridiction. Here was a man that in 1957 was a hero of the Civil Rights Movement amd conteporary news stories show a man who basked in the media attention he achieved as a hero of that movement. Four years later Walker is at the center the far right fring. To make matters more difficult to understand we find that the Walker of 1957 has been revised into the Walker of 1961. While I have found that most JFK conspiracy theorist want to believe that the US Govt. has had the ability to manipulate news reporting for years, and several threads on this particular site deal with that, when it comes to the Walker story the news post 1961 has it right and the news pre 1961 has it wrong. There lies the contridiction which I find so interesting and has led me to dig so deeply into the life of this man.....and in so doing develop a theory that explains how a conspiracy to assassinate JFK would have worked. What I find most interesting about it is that it needed to involve very few people yet the primary person who may have been involved, John J. McCloy was positioned to make sure the evidence that would have implicated him within my theory was so well covered up.

Three facts:

A) The passenger lists from the plane/s that carried Oswald from London to Helsinki, although available at the time were never made a part of the Warren Commission Report and records.

:lol: FBI Agent Hosty's third note which said exactly where Oswald was working prior to the finalization of the motorcade route through Dallas was never given a commission exhibit number therefore making sure that whoever in government that had access to this information would not be known. Rather important piece of evidence.

C) The fact that Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to contact someone by the name of John Hurt while in custody after the assassination was not made a part of the record but the two men who investigated Lee Harvey Oswald for potential intelligence contacts were closely associated with NSA employee John B. Hurt.

By researching Walker I have been able to shed light on each of these three facts. Dealing with:

A) Walker was traveling in Europe at the same time as Oswald and I can prove that they could have been on the same flights while each arrived at different locations.

:lol: FBI Agent Hosty's notes (the two given commission exhibit numbers) were making it to the office of Richard Helms. Helms, in 1959, gathered information from former OSS/Pond members about Helsinki, Finland in the months preceeding Oswald's arrival in the same location. The laison that Helms was using to gather this information was a close associate of Demitri DeMor(sp) brother of George DeMor(sp) who befriended Oswald while he was in Dallas.

C) During WWII John B. Hurt was providing information directly to John J. McCloy in his position of Asst. Sec. of War and by 1934 Edwin Walker can be associated with Hurt as well. Walker also did two specific missions during WWII that McCloy took a particular interest in and did them with stunning success.

Feel free to do with my research as you wish but please allow me to put a couple of "slants" on your statements.

"Isn't it true that the federal charges against Walker in Mississippi were dismissed, without prejudice, meaning they could be filed again during the five year statutory period, if a future, all white local grand jury could be persuaded to indict him, since the initial jury wouldn't?"

You are correct that the charges were not reintroduced. Sometimes that occurs when there is not enough evidence to support the charges.

"Walker won two libel suits against the press, one in Ft. Worth, and one in Louisiana. Both verdicts were overturned in a 1967 Supreme Court ruling. How many blacks were sitting on each jury, Jim?"

Was ot a jury trial or was it heard by a judge. I believe the verdicts were not overturned it was the award that was overturned. And I do believe there was a black man on the Supreme Court at that time.

"Dr. Charles White's remote diagnosis of Walker's mental state after "ole MIss....."

I recently read a remote diagnosis dealing with President Obama's severe narcissistic personality disorder.....I give this about as much credence as I give to Dr. Charles White's remote diagnosis.

I might ask do you accept one, both or neither of these remote diagnosis of these two different men who have perhaps differednt ideologies? And does one ideology make one remote diagnosis easier to accept than the other?

Jim Root

Jim, I understand your point that the victor tends to write the history that prevails, but your example of the

Civil War "news" does not apply here, IMO, because no victor has emerged in the ideological struggle of the modern era.

It was actually Dr. Charles E. Smith. I don't have an opinion about the ethics or reliability of his evaluation

of Edwin Walker's mental state, in his capacity as psyschiatrist for the federal bureau of prisons, in response to

a DOJ request. I used his name as an example of the organized support behind Walker that must have been required

to concentrate many letters of other doctors needed to bring Dr. Smith up for a board hearing. How did so many other

doctors find out about Dr. Smith's relativiely obscure evaluation of Walker, and write letters of protest in such

a brief windoe in time. I don't think is was coincidental.

Jim, a lawyer from the firm that represented the AP against Edwin Walker in his Ft. Worth suit. In the Lousiana suit described below, the "all male" jury awarded Walker $3 million, although he only pursued $2.25 million in damages.

The Supreme Court ruling overturning the Ft. Worth jury's verdict against Ap and requiring Walker to pay AP's legal

fees, the Supreme Court ruled 9-0 against Walker.

http://books.google.com/books?cd=3&q=i...nG=Search+Books

Devil's Sanctuary: An Eyewitness History of Mississippi Hate Crimes‎ - Page 155

James L. Dickerson, Alex A. Alston, Jr. - Social Science - 2009 - 400 pages

Libel suits were rampant in 1964, the Kluckers (as Klansmen were sometimes

called) and their ilk knowing that jurors hated the national media and would ...

In Ft. Worth, a jury of "four women and eight men." Includes eyewitness testimony of an AP correspondent who testified that at "Ole Miss",

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=tLwgA...+jury&hl=en

Resumes Defense Testimony in Walker Suit .

Lewiston Evening Journal - Google News Archive - Jun 17, 1964

FORT WORTH. Tex. The Associated Press resumes today defense testimony in a 2-million libel suit brought by former Maj. Gen. Edwin A Walker. ...

Craig testified that Walker made a speech to students from a Confederate monument on their campus, and added that when it ended:

"....About that time the people listening to him moved behind him and then a solid line formed behind the general."

Walker won a $3 million verdict in Louisiana, delivered by an "all male" jury.:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=IgQsA...on+in&hl=en

Rs Awar Million .

Times Daily - Google News Archive - Oct 30, 1965

Pub lishing Corp. has ended in a million jury award to the for mer Army major ... The Caddo Parish Civil Court 'jury decided that Walker was li beled by an ..

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=z4UsA...press&hl=en

Press Rights Boosted .Walker's Case Against The Apis Thrown Out .

Herald-Journal - Google News Archive - Jun 13, 1967

Monday a 500.000 libel judg ment won by Edwin Walker, former US Army general, against The Associated Press. There was no evidence of per sonal prejudice, ...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=00c0A...press&hl=en

Walkers New Trial Plea Loses .

Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive - Dec 14, 1967

Walker recover nothing from the Associated Press, and that the Associated Press recover from Edwin Walker all costs as per mandate of the Supreme Walker's ...

We're both after the same thing, Jim. I'd ratherkeep at it than engage in debate with you. Do you think it was coincidence

that Walker brought up Adam Yarmalinsky's "disloyalty" to a senate sub-committee, nineteen months before Yarmalinsky made the call described below to the FBI, or that Yarmalinsky was appointed by DOD as it's liason to the WC?

http://books.google.com/books?id=CYwluOC30...ald&f=false

The road to Dallas: the assassination of John F. Kennedy

By David E. Kaiser Page 177

...The FBI, apparently, had initial responsibility for debriefing Americans who returned to the United States after defecting to unfriendly countries. Thus, in 1959, the bureau had initially debriefed ex-Army soldier Loran Hall when he returned from Cuba and then informed the CIA that they could talk to him as well. Oswald's case was most similar to that of two other Americans, Robert Webster and Libero Ricciardelli, both of whom defected in 1959 and returned, respectively, in 1962 and 1963.

The similarity in the three cases was sufficiently striking for a Defense Department official, Adam Yarmalinsky, to point it out in a call to the FBI on the evening of President Kennedy's assassination, without speculating about exactly what it might have meant...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GTQsA...olice&hl=en

Stennis Reports . Men Fingered By Gen. Walker Won't Be Probed .

Herald-Journal - Google News Archive - Apr 8, 1962

Edwin A Walker of being soft on communism. Stennis heads a Senate Armed Services subcommittee which heard Walker, during a day and a half of testimony last .

...Stennis heads a Senate Armed Sevices subcommittee whihc heard Walker, during a day and a half of testimony last week, charge that a :hidden control apparatus" holds sway in Washington, pushing a "no -win," sellout policy.

The resigned Army officer questioned the loyalty of Secretary of State Dean Rusk; Walt Whitman Rostow, head of the State Department's policy council, and Adam Yarmolinsky, a hitherto fairly obscure special assistant to Secretary of Defense Robert S. Mcnamara...

Rusk said the charges were not worthy of comment:..

Have you eliminated this fellow?

North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-2004

Death, Burial, Cemetery & Obituaries

Name: John William Hurt

Birth: date

Death: dd mm 1977 - Buncombe, North Carolina

Residence: Wilkes

He was listed in the 1930 US Census as a member of an Army unit living in a barracks at Ft. Bragg, NC.

I have recent contact info of his son, if you are interested. John died from TB at the Veteran's Hospital in Asheville, NC in 1977. I've confirmed who his recenlty still living son is, from Wilkes County, NC birth records.

"How did so many..." - simple, the US and particularly the South which had segregated hospitals and quality of service, as well as participating in murders, coverups and many of them John Birchers. The Sovereignty Commissions and the Birchers disemminations through organised JB meetings nationally plus support from very influential persons. The MSC files are rife with requests for information pamphlets in multiple orders for ditribution, as well as the MSC utilising any media outlets possible and nation wide endlessly sending out news releases that then in many cases were reported in other reports.

I actually find the number surprisingly and hearteningly low.

"Times Daily - Google News Archive - Oct 30, 1965

Pub lishing Corp. has ended in a million jury award..." - In the world that Walker lived in 1962-63, this, and other suits, had a nice look to them.

______

while making these comments, my qualifiers expressed in earler posts stand. I find the whole thing very instructive.

edit edit

Edited by John Dolva

Guest Tom Scully

Red baiting and segregation seemed a nice mix as a strategy to get the attention of their voting base.:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=n7orA...enate&hl=en

The Telegraph - Apr 5, 1962

'Red Plotters' Undermine Nation, Gen Walker Claims

4352174759_a81b0043ef_b.jpg

http://books.google.com/books?id=x6EcuyDFu...ker&f=false

LBJ: architect of American ambition

By Randall Bennett Woods Page 457

...On July 16, Shriver predicted to LBJ that the poverty bill would pass the

Senate by a two-to-one margin, but the House would be more difficult. A group

of southern red-baiters headed by Congressman Harold Cooley (D-North Carolina) had

decided to compel the administration to sacrafice Adam Yarmolinsky as their price

for voting for the bill.

By 1964, Yarmolinsky had become something of an anothero to true believing

anticommunists and southern segregationists, who had decided to use each other's

movements to further their own cause. General Edwin Walker had been lambasting Yarmolinsky

as nothing less than a "communist mole" in the Defense Department. His mother had been a

"communiust poet" conservatives charged, and Adam himself had been active in the communist

youth movement. Tjose was musci to the ears of southerners, who blamed Yarmolinsky for

the drive by the Defense Department to desegregate off-base facilities that catered to

the military.

On August 6, Speaker MCormack summoned Shriver to a meeting in his office.

Coolety and several other soughern conservatives were there. Cooley informed him

that if Yarmolinsky was given any role in administering the poverty program,

he and his seven Carolina colleagues would not vote for the EOA. Shriver said that

Yarmolinsky was extremely competent and his friend to boot, and he would not

abandon him, but the decision was the president's....

http://articles.sfgate.com/2000-01-08/news...-school-poverty

Adam Yarmolinsky

January 08, 2000

...Mr. Yarmolinsky, a lawyer, academician and author who lived in Washington, was said to have been one of the brightest of the "whiz kids" brought to the Pentagon by Secretary Robert McNamara to run the Defense Department in the early years of the Kennedy administration.,,,

....But in August of that year, with the legislation still pending, word was passed that Mr. Yarmolinsky was in line to be Shriver's chief deputy in the administration of the anti- poverty effort. That angered key Southern congressmen who resented Mr. Yarmolinsky's liberal politics and his work as a Defense Department official to desegregate public facilities in Southern communities near military bases. The legislators let it be known they would vote against the poverty program unless Mr. Yarmolinsky was jettisoned, which he was, after a showdown in the office of House Speaker John McCormack, D-Mass.

Mr. Yarmolinsky returned to the Defense Department, believing that he had been promised an appointment later as the department's general counsel. But that job never materialized, and instead he was named to a less influential position. He left Washington in 1966 to teach at Harvard Law School and Harvard's Institute of Politics at the Kennedy School of Government.

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_i...ue/madness.html

March Madness at the ARRB Part II

by Joseph Backes

Copyright © 1995

Note: This article was written shortly after the ARRB public hearing in Boston, March 24, 1995 and was never published. As it has been nearly two years since the event the reader is advised to read my previous articles that are more contemporaneaous with March of 1995. My article "March Madness at the ARRB" in "The Fourth Decade" would be a good start.)...

... On April 27, I received copies of the written submissions from those who testified at the Boston hearing. In his written statement, Mr. Melanson points out that European stations of American intelligence agencies that would handle Soviet matters should be checked for documents. Mr. Melanson's written statement is great reading, especially if you have an interest in the RFK and MLK assassinations as well. It should be noted that Mr. Melanson wrote two outstanding books, one on each case. "The Martin Luther King Assassination:New Revelations on the Conspiracy and Cover-up, 1968-1991", a trade size paperback and "The Robert F. Kennedy Assassination: New Revelations on the Conspiracy and Cover-up" a hardcover book.

Priscilla Johnson McMillan's written statements are interesting. She asks if the Board has done everything possible to get records from, the Soviet Embassy in Washington with which Oswald corresponded in 1963. I do wonder about the Soviet Embassy in Washington, D.C. and Oswald ever since my document discovery published in the Third Decade Vol. 9 #3. She also wonders about Oswald in Japan. There is a huge, huge, story here that has yet to be told. She also pointed out that records should be sought from Oswald's American employers,

Leslie Welding, Jaggers-Chiles-Stovall, Reilly Coffee company. Not mentioned by Priscilla were the New Orleans employers of Oswald, Gerald F. Tujague, J. R. Michael's and Pfisterer Dental Labs.20

According to Priscilla, James P.Hosty has written a manuscript describing circumstances in which he destroyed evidence shortly after the assassination.

I almost want to give Priscilla some credit for her detail of Russian authorities and their archives but she has spun such lies about this case I can't do it. She suggested that the Board talk directly to Nosenko.

Ms. McMillan in her written statement goes into the Walker shooting which she did not in her testimony to the Board. She claims Marina persuaded Lee to burn much of the evidence and throw the burned remains down the toilet. She claims that this destroyed, burned, flushed material that may not ever have existed is, "evidence but not proof that it was Oswald who shot at Walker." She tries to use this as a context for viewing the Schrand episode, despite the fact that the Walker shooting occurred years later.

Ms. McMillan mentioned that some material at the JFK Library has not been made available, Oral Histories with Nicholas Katzenbach, Douglas Dillon, Robert Kennedy, George Ball, McGeorge Bundy, Abram Chayes, who was the State Dept. liaison to the Warren Commission, Chester Clifton, Adam Yarmolinsky, who was the Dept. of Defense liaison to the Warren Commission and Roswell Gilpatric. ...

Jim, I'm of the opinion that not factoring in certain matters gives your hypothesis a possibly shaky foundation but I'm an avid reader of your posts. Perhaps, in certain matters, see me as a devils advocate. At the same time I would dearly read an expansion on this, in particularly in ''Engine Charlies'' role as Secretary of Defence and the changes that happened around 1953. Also, do you know any listing of the persons processed in Norway under Walkers command?

edit : typos

Edited by John Dolva

Jim, ok, maybe spartacus has that bit wrong. ''...Walker, a supporter of the John Birch Society, was totally opposed to school desegragation. However, as commander of the Arkansas Military District he was forced to implement the orders of Dwight Eisenhower.'' spartacus

Walker was ordered in by C. E. Wilson, authorised by Eisenhower.

A result was the election of anti integrationist Dale Alford who went on to formulate with other arch segregationists the ''muzzling of the military'' with the Chairman as Alford who describes Walker in much the same light as you would have him.

John

Might add here that in contempory magazine articles, Maxwell Taylor was repeatedly reported as the man who chose his old comrade in arms to lead the 101st into Little Rock. On the Taylor website for Arlington National Cemetary they report Little Rock as one of Taylor's four most difficult problems as Chief of Staff of the Army and in that case Taylor sent Walker. One of the others, the First Straits of Taiwan Crisis, Taylor would also turn to Walker as the man he would trust to handle another of his most difficult assignments.

But when it came to the Pro Blue debacle (and the return of Oswald), the soon to be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs (Taylor) was silent and Taylor's most trusted "old comrade in arm" am Walker would fall instantly from grace.

Once again, from old posts, I must point out that Taylor worked directly under John J. McCloy during the negotiations with Italy during WWII and it was Taylor that McCloy selected to be the Military Commander in Berlin while McCloy was High Commissioner in Post War Germany.

The point I continue to suggest is that IF Oswald were injected into the Soviet Union in October of 1959 in an operation that McCloy had planned to scuttle the Paris Summit and the Limited Test Ban Treaty it would not be unusual for him to turn to his old friend the Chief of Staff of the Army (whom McCloy had often turned to, both as a tennis partner and for more official work) to find a trusted individual to be Oswald's contact as he traveled into the Soviet Union. Knowing that Taylor selected Walker for two of his most delicate operations in the past it would seem logical that Taylor would select this trusted officier again....but then we would have to have McCloy placed on the Warren Commission to make sure that passenger lists would never see the light of day for Oswald's travel from London to Helsinki.

Just more thoughts on the subject.

Jim Root

Jim, I'm of the opinion that not factoring in certain matters gives your hypothesis a possibly shaky foundation but I'm an avid reader of your posts. Perhaps, in certain matters, see me as a devils advocate. At the same time I would dearly read an expansion on this, in particularly in ''Engine Charlies'' role as Secretary of Defence and the changes that happened around 1953. Also, do you know any listing of the persons processed in Norway under Walkers command?

edit : typos

John

I appreciate your roll as Devils Advocate and I assure you that there are 100's if not 1000's of factors that have come together, thru my research, to support my hypothesis.

A few.....

The date of the start of the Overseas Weekly investigation was a critical sticking point in my research and I am suprised that no one here has picked up on that particular point. The OW investigation started to early for what was, according to the Warren Commission, Oswald's first contact with the State Department annoucing his intentions of returning to the United States, to have been orchestrated to "frame" Walker.

On the other hand if we take Oswald at face value he refers to his earlier note of December to State where he first announced his intention to return to the US. That note has never appeared but we need to consider it within the total picture that is being framed.

Within my hypothesis it is John J. McCloy that may be the primary conspirator in the assassination of JFK. If I am correct any piece of information that could lead (via a paper trail) directly to him would have to be eliminated, very possibly by him as a Warren Commissioner. Case in point is FBI Agent Jame Hosty's third note which said exactly where Lee Harvey Oswald was working prior to the designation of the motorcade route. We know that that note was written and that it is a seemingly critical piece of evidence (who in Government knew exactly where Oswald was working) but was not even given a Commission Exhibit Number and was actually passed over by McCloy. We now know that Hosty's other two notes made it to the Office of Richard Helms (tracked by John Newman and reported by Jefferson Morely) so it is perhaps for good reason that McCloy may not have wanted a note that could be tracked perhaps to him to never be made public. If that note could not be tracked to McCloy and McCloy was doing a competent job it would have been given an exhibit number and woudl have been tracked to identify exactly who had access to that information. It was not! To this date the CIA denies that the third Hosty note ever made it to Helms desk but admits that the other two did.

I have found that it is what is missing, (passenger lists, Hosty note, Raleigh Call to John Hurt) that create an obsure path which leads to John J. McCloy. Within my hypothesis McCloy was the head of all US Intelligence Organizations from 1941 forward. McCloy was brought into the War Department to build a modern Intelligence organization based upon the British system of intelligence.

It is the fact that the December note that Oswald refers to is missing that fuels my closer look into the Overseas Weekly/Pro Blue investigation. The reporters did not discover a story....they were instead told to go and investigate a story about Walker by their editor.

The FBI begins trailing Oswald just weeks after the failed attempt on the life of Edwin Walker. Officially this begins because an unidentified person reports that Oswald is handing out Pro Castro material in Dallas....a story that FBI Agent James Patrick Hosty says he believed never occure. The FBI's reports are directed to the Office of Richard Helms who says he never got the third one which stated exactly where Oswald worked......I find this unbelievable!

The British, for hundreds of years maintained one man at the head of all intelligence that they referred to as "C." If McCloy was America's "C" we can understand why J. Edgar Hoover was reluctant to have McCloy serve on the Warren Commission because of the publicity. McCloy, if you follow his career seldom if ever sought publicity but if McCloy were America's "C" we can understand Hoover's concern in a different light and we can understand how certain documents and information have never become public that could lead to this particular blip in US Intelligence becoming uncovered. It took a major scandal in England to uncover Menzies as Britians "C."

If McCloy were behind the scuttling of the Paris Summit (which the record shows he wanted scuttled) and Walker could be connected to Oswald entry into the Soviet Union and Oswald could be connected to the downing of the U-2 on May 1, 1960 we can understand why Walker would need to be burned......It is not the hypothesis it is just one of many pieces that fits the hypothesis

After the assassination attempt on Walker we find Oswald in New Orleans speaking at Spring Hill College. As reported, a great deal of Oswald's talk centered on the failure of the Paris Summit and his seeming anger that there were people in both the Soviet Union and the United States that did not want to see the countries coming together. Oswald's anger in this particular field is another supporting piece within this hypothesis....

but just another one piece of so so many.

Jim Root

Tom, you asked...

He was listed in the 1930 US Census as a member of an Army unit living in a barracks at Ft. Bragg, NC.

I have recent contact info of his son, if you are interested. John died from TB at the Veteran's Hospital in Asheville, NC in 1977. I've confirmed who his recenlty still living son is, from Wilkes County, NC birth records.

Tom

I like my John B. Hurt

During WWII he worked for John J. McCloy. He also worked with Meridith Gardner and Frank Rowlet who would investigate Lee Harvey Oswald for intelligence connections.

John B. Hurt can also be connected to the man who was the head of the NSA in 1963 (and wrote a supporting note to the Warren Commission). In fact the future head of the NSA was in the first class given by Friedman's team of Cryptologist back in (I believe) 1934. As a matter of fact....Edwin Walker was there as well.

And just for the fun of it, of the seven original members of Friedman's Team that became the NSA only ones work after 1947 is still classified....you guessed it John B. Hurt.

Doesn't it make you wonder what a man who, at a minimum, shares a name with a man that Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to contact was working on and why it still remains classified to this day?

Jim Root

Guest Tom Scully
Tom, you asked...

Tom

I like my John B. Hurt

During WWII he worked for John J. McCloy. He also worked with Meridith Gardner and Frank Rowlet who would investigate Lee Harvey Oswald for intelligence connections.

John B. Hurt can also be connected to the man who was the head of the NSA in 1963 (and wrote a supporting note to the Warren Commission). In fact the future head of the NSA was in the first class given by Friedman's team of Cryptologist back in (I believe) 1934. As a matter of fact....Edwin Walker was there as well.

And just for the fun of it, of the seven original members of Friedman's Team that became the NSA only ones work after 1947 is still classified....you guessed it John B. Hurt.

Doesn't it make you wonder what a man who, at a minimum, shares a name with a man that Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to contact was working on and why it still remains classified to this day?

Jim Root

Sure, Jim, all of the details you've documented related to John B. Hurt are intriguing, and they fit like a glove. The one nagging little drawback is that the historical detaills, unearthed only years after 1963, is that the name that came to light is John W. Hurt. The name I found is of a deceased NC resident, former military, and dead since 1977. I've offered you the opportunity to contact his son, if you like, and your reaction is that you've found your man, so you're not interested,

I approach this research in the same way I imagine a homicide investigator might....with no preconceived notions, as far as that is possible for me to practice. I don't think a homicide investigator would ignore a lead exactly matching the name that came to light as a subject of interest.

My offer to you is open, for the time being. I offered the lead to you out of respect for your efforts in this matter, not because I disagree with any of the details you have provided, except that I think it is of some concernt that "John B Hurt," is not an exact name match. Even if you have no interest in pursuing a son of a John William Hurt, how seriously do you think the research community will take you, if your last word on this is that you like your John B. Hurt, just fine, "case closed, " thank you?

Edited by Tom Scully

Hi Tom

Not trying to belittle your offer at all. In reality I have researched each of the "John Hurt" names that I found on the Social Security Death Index that match the age criteria throughout the United States (around 150 different persons). I have also had contact with persons that either interviewed or did direct research with the John Hurt's that resided in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina in 1963, including the two John Hurt's that matched the phone numbers that were provided with the original information about the Raleigh Call. It seems that most of that information has led to dead ends. Does your friend have something that adds to the existing record?

I might point out that John B. Hurt does not appear in the SS Death Index I guess because as a Federal Employee he never paid into SS. Just a quirk perhaps but the SS record is not complete. John B. Hurt does also does not appear to be buried at the cemetary that he was reportedly burried at, not sure why and as I stated earlier, his work was so top secret that it is still classified to this day (at least his work after 1947). It also seems that there is no death certificate filed in the reported County of his death. I did interview several people who knew and were related to John B. Hurt and have done a great deal of background with both an NSA Historian and a Pentagon Historian.

I also went to the 6th Floor Museum and with the help of Gary Mack was able to hear a press reporters report who made comment of Oswald's failed attempt to contact someone the previous evening.....a major piece of the evidence that makes people believe that Oswald did attempt to make such an outgoing call at the time of the reported Raleigh Call.

It seems that the state of the research over the past 10 years on the Raleigh Call is that the call probly went to a cut-out rather than to an actual person named John Hurt. This would be consistant with Oswald's lack of endeavor in attempting to make additional phone calls to additional numbers as Oswald actually did in earnest while attempting to contact Jonathan Abt. It is also in line with the two Warren Commission attorneys who worked on the Odio Incident that speculated that the men who may have been with Oswald could have provided Oswald with a contact number. i believe that Oswald also made statements while in custody that he had contacts who would help him.

Following that particular line and with the research that I had done on John B. Hurt and his particular connections to certain people associated with the asassination of JFK I made an educated guess as to who a cut-out in the Raliegh Durham area might have been that would have a complete understanding of what a call would mean that was made from Lee Harvey Oswald to a person at a number requesting to speak to John Hurt. I pondered ithe thought and attempted to find evidence that might be found that would associate this person and the assassination story. Following up this lead I became the first researcher to request informtion from a cache of material that had been restricted from reasearchers for twenty years. This information was from a collection of a verifiable and well known CIA Agent that lived in the area, had been an OSS Operative in WWII, was a member of an organization known as the Pond and had approved operation Stella Polaris.

Within this cache I found information about a group of people (led by Richard Helms) that were gathering information about what one of the group speculated, was going to be an off track intelligence operation going through Helsinki Finland in the next few months. This corrospondence was dated June of 1959. Also contained in the cache was a document that several authors of books dealing with the Venona Secret were aware of but have never seen which is complete amd contains hand written notes in the margins.

If you are familiar with the Venona Secret then you know that Frank Rowlett and Meridith Gardner, the same two men who would later investigate Lee Harvey Oswald for intelligence connections, were in charge of Venona for the NSA. As a hitorical side bar, it was an Ultra Secret communication from the Japanese to the Finnish Intelligence community that John B. Hurt uncovered that led to the beginnings of the Venoa Project. Operation Stella Polaris was a direct result of this information. The operation got its name from the ship that was dispatched to pick up Finnish Cryptologist and there is good information to suggest that Col. (at the time) Edwin Walker dispatched this ship. The whole operation was carried out by a strange branch of Intelligence know as Secret Intelligence (SI) or "The Pond" that we are only now, 60 years later, begining to learn about.

A study of the beginnings of the CIA shows that when Richard Helms came into the fledgling CIA he was allowed to bring his "personal" intelligence organization with him. Helms was a "Pond" member and with people who are currently researching this particularly unique intelligence organization (SI) I have been able to establish that Helms was in fact deeply involved with this group. As I stated earlier this cache shows very clearly that "Dick" Helms, who would monitor Oswald's movements until his death, was preparing, in June 1959 for an off track intelligence operation that would operate through Helsinki, Finland. Four months later Oswald arrives in Helsinki.

The group that was meeting, at the request of "Dick" Helms in June of 1959 included Whitney Shepardson. Shepardson with the help of Dimitri Von Mohrenschildt (brother of George De Mohrenschildt) would, among other things start Radio Liberty, better known as Radio Free Europe. Shepardson was also the founder of the Council on Foreign Relations and would be involved in the appointment of his good friend John J. McCloy to several posts during his lifetime. Interesting that my speculation has led to finding a direct connection between John J. McCloy and the brother of Lee Harvey Oswald's friend Grorge DeMohrenschildt.

It is of interest that Priscilla J(ohnson) McMillan would visit the office of Radio Liberty before departing for Moscow and her meeting with Lee Harvey Oswald. McMillian only resently pointed out the Oswald had told her that he could receive Radio Free Europe broadcasts while in Russia. This is ialso nteresting because one of the creators of "The Pond," John V. "Frenchy" Grombach entered intelligence operations after providing our early intelligence organizations with a methodology of using regular radio broadcasts to send information to agents in the field.

I provide all this information not because I ruled out the possibility that there could have been other potential John Hurt's that may have been possible Lee Harvey Oswald contacts but rather, I have concentrated on this one because of the nearly 150 John Hurt's that I have researched this one and only this one seems to have led to the most fertile ground.

I have attempted to approach this research as a homicide detective might as well. After a review of many potential John Hurt suspects I will admit that I have been led to concentrate on this one and my continued research into this John B. Hurt has led to more information than I ever suspected would be available to help solve this case.

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root