The Education Forum

U.S. Department of Justice memorandum orders

Douglas Caddy

hindering of Merritt’s “Watergate Exposed” book

Two sources in different law enforcement agencies have informed Robert Merritt in the last few days that they have seen a recent U.S. Department of Justice memorandum that directs all efforts should be made to hinder the publication of Merritt’s book, "Watergate Exposed.” The memorandum was sent to federal Law enforcement agencies and to the New York Police Department Intelligence Division.

One of these sources advised Merritt to post information about the memorandum on the Education Forum because of his concern for Merritt’s physical safety. This same source told Merritt that, as difficult as it is to believe, the Department of Justice now has its own assassination squad. It is common knowledge that the CIA has such a squad but this is the first time reference has been made to such a squad within the Department of Justice.

[Although it is probably unrelated, two members of the assassination team that murdered the Hamas leader, Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh, in Dubai on January 19 were tracked to the U.S. the day after the killing.]

When Merritt informed his source that I was about to post on the Education Forum a new topic concerning Mark Felt’s key role in the origins of Watergate based on information provided by Merritt, the source, while encouraging that the posting be done as soon as possible, warned Merritt that this would dramatically increase the physical danger Merritt faces. Nevertheless, Merritt wants the Mark Felt posting be made within the next few days.

Two sources in different law enforcement agencies have informed Robert Merritt in the last few days that they have seen a recent U.S. Department of Justice memorandum that directs all efforts should be made to hinder the publication of Merritt’s book, "Watergate Exposed.” The memorandum was sent to federal Law enforcement agencies and to the New York Police Department Intelligence Division.

One of these sources advised Merritt to post information about the memorandum on the Education Forum because of his concern for Merritt’s physical safety. This same source told Merritt that, as difficult as it is to believe, the Department of Justice now has its own assassination squad. It is common knowledge that the CIA has such a squad but this is the first time reference has been made to such a squad within the Department of Justice.

[Although it is probably unrelated, two members of the assassination team that murdered the Hamas leader, Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh, in Dubai on January 19 were tracked to the U.S. the day after the killing.]

When Merritt informed his source that I was about to post on the Education Forum a new topic concerning Mark Felt’s key role in the origins of Watergate based on information provided by Merritt, the source, while encouraging that the posting be done as soon as possible, warned Merritt that this would dramatically increase the physical danger Merritt faces. Nevertheless, Merritt wants the Mark Felt posting be made within the next few days.

Doug, does Merritt have any idea WHO would be behind these threats? Near as I can figure, no one in Washington today would be endangered by Merritt's claim he was Shoffler's lover, etc. Now there might be some individuals fearful of Merritt outing them as homosexuals... But I just don't see government agencies at this point really caring what Merritt has to say... What am I missing?

Doug, does Merritt have any idea WHO would be behind these threats? Near as I can figure, no one in Washington today would be endangered by Merritt's claim he was Shoffler's lover, etc. Now there might be some individuals fearful of Merritt outing them as homosexuals... But I just don't see government agencies at this point really caring what Merritt has to say... What am I missing?

Pat, the whole matter is puzzling. We do know that when Merritt four years ago requested from the FBI his file under FOIA that he received a phone call from a Department of Justice lawyer. The lawyer urgently asked Merritt not to request his file because national security issues were at stake, even though the events covered took place 35 to 40 years ago. The lawyer said that once Merritt got his file under the Freedom of Information Act, anyone else could apply and get the same file.

As it worked out, the FBI withheld 772 pages from Merritt's file once he got it, stating 553 times that the missing pages were exempt on the basis of national security.

The recent U.S. Dept. of Justice directive to government agencies asking that efforts be made to hinder publication of Merritt's book has been seen by two individuals on separate occasions, both sources being of the highest authority and credibility.

It may be that Merritt knows something extremely important to the government but that he does not recognize it as being so. This would be something the government does not want out publicly.