The Education Forum

Castro's secret archives

Yeah, David. And no matter that D'Almeida at age 35 shot a 20 year old to death with an illegally carried hand gun and lied ridiculously to police, hired a former Asst. U.S. Attorney and Federal Judge to negotiate a five year probation in exchange for a negligent homicide guilty plea when ONLY discharging the illegal gun into ONLY an inanimate object and being arrested with it should have resulted in some jail time, no matter that he worked for a mobbed up company for eleven years, suspected of partnering with a top Genovese LCN capo to prevent potentially expensive union organizing and killing two A & P store managers and burning a number of stores to the ground in an effort to force A & P to sell D'Almeida's company's products, and with the long history of D'Almeida being in close proximity to boys and being accused of everything from shooting one to molesting others, what would be a good enough reason for A & P's counsel, Cahill to "side" with D'Almeida and his firm, Edgar Bronfman's ex-wife to mention her support for D'Almeida's youth "program" in her obit, for Bronfman's second wife to come out in support of same, and for Ann Bronfman's father, John L. Loeb, to host the wedding of D'Almeida's mother in his home, less than three years after the woman's son murdered someone, lied to police, and was reported in congressional committee testimony to be a longtime V.P. of a company investigated for partnering with the LCN in murder and arson?

Could it be that the affiliates of this group have always been shielded as "too big to fail?"

(I know, I know....if I am not careful to do a better job to keep it simple, I risk falling under a description similar to the one Linda posted of Judyth, in another thread. You can be high functioning...seem brilliant, and still not be able to fool all of the people, all of the time, hence, so much supporting documentation is included in my posts.)

http://books.google.com/books?ei=jUKlTri2NpS5twf8uPWpBQ&ct=result&id=eyQ7AAAAMAAJ&dq=%22*The+son+of+a+Portuguese+%22soldier-of-fortune%2C&q=%22we+were+hoping%22#search_anchor

Business week , Issue 2168 - 1972

Federal and state investigations of possible financial connections between North American Chemicals and organized crime continue, but no connection has ever been established. "We were hoping all this was

dead and buried three or four years ago," d'Almeida says wistfully...

...Undaunted and harking back to his show business days, d'Almeida this week hired a Broadway press agent firm, Solters & Sabinson, who number among their clients David Merrick and Ringling Brothers ....Circus.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30C17FD3A59137A93C3AA1783D85F478785F9

Wedding Held for Mrs. Warburg

August 31, 1973,

The marriage of Mrs. Barbara Warburg of New York and Vineyard Haven, Mass., widow of Paul Felix Warburg, the financier and philanthropist, to Leonardo Mercati of East Hampton, L. I., and Athens, took place here today at the home of John L. Loeb, the investment banker, and Mrs. Loeb. Tile bride, tile former Barbara Tapper of Chicago, was the widow of Baron D' Almeida when she was married to Mr. Warburg in London in 1949.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE0DC163AF933A25757C0A9679D8B63

Paid Notice: Deaths

BRONFMAN, ANN L.

Published: April 10, 2011

In 2010, Mrs. (Ann Loeb) Bronfman was honored by the Teamwork Foundation for her many years of support.

The Bronx, NY based organization, which includes the world famous New York Gauchos basketball program, provides after-school and summer programs to inner city boys and girls....

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/29/sports/basketball-big-step-in-basketball-toward-a-bigger-dream.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

BASKETBALL; Big Step in Basketball Toward a Bigger Dream

By FILIP BONDY

Published: April 29, 1991

....Holloway's triumph yesterday took place in a well-lighted building on dreary Gerard Avenue. The gym was constructed four years ago by the Gauchos Foundation, the nonprofit organization that runs the

club. The foundation relies on financing from its founder, Lou d'Almeida, a real-estate investor who moved to the United States from Argentina in 1949 at age 15; from d'Almeida's extended family, and from private contributors like Manufacturers Hanover.....

...D'Almeida moves easily in this basketball Disneyland that he began creating 26 years ago, as a coach and T-shirt contributor, at the West Side Y. He broke off on his own, designing a symbol that "is something good."

"It's not a skull and bones," he said. "It's about pride and strength."

For years, critics of the program have probed for his motives, charged him with being a power broker.

D'Almeida says this is a shame.

"Sometimes, people aren't willing to accept that you just want to do some good for some kids," he said.

http://books.google.com/books?ei=xpymTraYLsSgtweJtLj6Dw&ct=result&id=9WVmAAAAMAAJ&dq=Palmer+had+a+very+distinguished+war+record%2C+first+on+++Lord+Tedder%27s+staff&q=%22Palmer+had+a+very+distinguished%22#search_anchor

All in a lifetime: a personal memoir

books.google.com John Langeloth Loeb, Frances Lehman Loeb - 1996 - 312 pages - Snippet view

"It's around $98 million," Mark said. "I suggest you bid $100 million and you're more likely to get it." We bid $100 million, we did get it, and Hess was very pleased. In addition to Mark (Millard), Palmer Dixon became an important part of my life. Palmer had a very distinguished war record, first on Lord Tedder's staff in North Africa and then as director of intelligence and assistant chief of staff to Major General Hoyt Vandenberg, commander of the Ninth Air Force in Europe. In April 1944, he was appointed senior US Air Intelligence officer of the Allied Expeditionary Forces and performed outstandingly. Palmer earned all sorts of decorations — the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, the

Belgian Croix de Guerre with Palm. But the strain of sending out boys on bomber runs and never seeing them again took its toll. I was back in New York in the spring of '45 and there was a rumor that Palmer

had been invalided out of the service. One day, he called me at the office,"Palmer, where are you?" I said."Are you okay?"

And he said, "I'm at Joan's apartment."

Palmer was divorced from his first wife before the war and had

married Joan Deery, an attractive Australian girl whose previous husband was Billy Wetmore. "What can I do for you? I'd love to see you," I said. And he said, "I can't move." So I said, "I'll be right up."

I went to their apartment on Madison Avenue in the sixties and there was Palmer in full uniform seemingly lying in pain. I was reminded of victims of shell shock and stress, examples of which I had seen on a tour of the Pentagon. I called Dr. AA Berg and, after describing Palmer's problem, said, "How can I help my friend?" Dr. Berg recommended Dr. Louis Hausman, a psychiatrist. Palmer wouldn't move by himself so I made an appointment for him and went with him. Palmer continued to go to Dr. Hausman for

the rest of his life. I cared a lot about Palmer and, at his request, was willing to take the responsibility of being his sole executor. Jonathan Dixon was born right after the war and so was our youngest daughter, Debby. Palmer used to say, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if Jonathan and Debby married."

The Dixons had a house in St. James on the North Shore of Long Island. When Jonathan was barely a teenager, he went out hunting birds with the caretaker's son, who accidentally shot and killed him. Palmer never got over it.

REESTABLISHING CONTACTS IN EUROPE JOHN: In the fall of 1947, Peter and I

traveled ....

NY Times July, 1968

6279348781_e20b8aa245_b.jpg

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=apeHKwrLTavE

Hank Greenberg, Ex-AIG Chief, Said to Face SEC Suit...

Bloomberg - Aug 6, 2009

He joined AIG in 1960, and by 1962, AIG founder Cornelius Starr had chosen him to take charge of one of the firm's acquisitions, American Home Assurance Co. ....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/business/27aig.html

October 27, 2009

Ex-A.I.G. Chief Is Back, Luring Talent From Rescued Firm

By MARY WILLIAMS WALSH

Maurice R. Greenberg, who built the American International Group into an insurance behemoth with an impenetrable maze of on- and offshore companies, is at it again.

Even as he has been lambasting the government for its handling of A.I.G. after its near collapse, Mr. Greenberg has been quietly building up a family of insurance companies that could compete with A.I.G.

To fill the ranks of his venture, C.V. Starr & Company, he has been hiring some people he once employed.

Now, Mr. Greenberg may have received some unintended assistance from the United States Treasury. Just last week, the Treasury severely limited pay at A.I.G. and other companies that were bailed out by taxpayers. That may hasten the exodus of A.I.G.’s talent, sending more refugees into Mr. Greenberg’s arms, since C. V. Starr is free to pay whatever it wants.

“Basically, he’s just starting ‘A.I.G. Two’ and raiding people out of ‘A.I.G. One,’ ” said Douglas A. Love, an insurance executive who has also hired A.I.G. talent for his company, Investors Guaranty Fund of Pembroke, Bermuda.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=%941942+lee+was+appointed+confidential*%22&btnG=#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&tbo=1&tbm=bks&source=hp&q=%E2%80%9DHalperin%2C+Duncan+Lee%2C+Franz+Neumann%2C+Bella+Joseph%2C*%22&psj=1&oq=%E2%80%9DHalperin%2C+Duncan+Lee%2C+Franz+Neumann%2C+Bella+Joseph%2C*%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=92802l92802l1l94399l1l1l0l0l0l0l306l306l3-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d714f29b72847677&biw=1320&bih=655

Venona: Decoding Soviet Espionage in America - Page 220

books.google.comJohn Earl Haynes, Harvey Klehr - 2000 - 487 pages - Preview

One Venona message from 1943 lists six Soviet agents working in the OSS and the OWL The message was only partially decrypted, but five of the Soviet sources can be identified: Maurice Halperin, Duncan Lee, Franz Neumann, Bella Joseph, and Julius Joseph, all of whom worked with Elizabeth Bentley....

Duncan Lee informed Moscow of the impending D-Day invasion in 1944, and of the operations in China and Japan. Decoded Soviet intelligence cables showed Lee reporting on British .....American diplomatic strategy for negotiating with Stalin over the fate of postwar Poland, American diplomatic activities in Turkey and Romania, and OSS operations in China and France. Venona confirms Bentley's comment about Lee's caution.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hKsNAQAAMAAJ&q=%94affair+with+another+Communist+courier,+Mary+Price.*%22&dq=%94affair+with+another+Communist+courier,+Mary+Price.*%22&hl=en&ei=mZWmTrnZMMistgfS05EU&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ

Roosevelt's secret war: FDR and World War II espionage

books.google.comJoseph E. Persico - 2001 - 564 pages - Snippet view

His wife discovered that he was having an affair with another Communist courier, Mary Price. He feared Donovan had begun to suspect him. He distrusted Elizabeth Bentley. Another NKVD contact, code- named X,

reported, after dealing with

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=%94Bermuda+but+fervently+denied%22&btnG=#ds=bo&pq=%E2%80%9D*he+had+worked+for+the+china+national+aviation+%22&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=64&gs_id=d0&xhr=t&q=%E2%80%9D*andYale+Law+School+who%2C+like+Youngman%2C+had+a+China+connection.%22&qe=HSphbmRZYWxlIExhdyBTY2hvb2wgd2hvLCBsaWtlIFlvdW5nbWFuLCBoYWQgYSBDaGluYSBjb25uZWN0aW9uLiI&qesig=ZeIdT-lhXcMmw1ramP-B6g&pkc=AFgZ2tndaO0hTR-QSEryNmLFpB-bvP0pee58i49Iaa5lhWg5efIvcuBfBOQNEGHPObs7AIPqCi1PzXjNsJ5BnYxwbiXx968UAA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&tbo=1&tbm=bks&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=%E2%80%9D*andYale+Law+School+who,+like+Youngman,+had+a+China+connection.%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d714f29b72847677&biw=1320&bih=655

Fallen Giant: The Amazing Story of Hank Greenberg and the History ... - Page 98

books.google.comRonald Kent Shelp, Al Ehrbar - 2009

The white-shoe image got some added reinforcement when Youngman and Starr recruited Gordon B. Tweedy, a product of Yale University and Yale Law School who, like Youngman, had a China connection.

He had worked for the China National Aviation Corporation in Calcutta during the latter part of World War II while also serving as an OSS operative under Youngman. He was married to Mary Tweedy, a respected correspondent for Life magazine. The Tweedys had one adventure that took on legendary proportions.

Early in 1945, while Mary was in a state of advanced pregnancy, she and Gordon took a flight from Delhi in a US military aircraft headed for Kashmir.

Halfway there the pilot got lost and they all had to bail out. They were rescued and finally made it back to Calcutta.

General Hackett pinned a gemmed caterpillar on the diapers of the girl (Clare) subsequently born to the Tweedys and she became a member of the Caterpillar Club (a club formed in the 1920s whose requirement

for membership was that you had jumped out of a disabled plane). Starr loved this story. It probably reaffirmed his belief that his firm clearly had arrived if it could attract a personage with Gordon Tweedy 's credentials.

Youngman worked for the OSS during the war and had a number of operatives working for him, including Gordon Tweedy. So it is not clear who attracted Tweedy — Youngman or Starr.

So it is not clear who attracted Tweedy — Youngman or Starr. In a company like Starr's, he would not have come aboard without Starr's approval.

But since Tweedy had worked for Youngman, he would have been the deciding factor, even though Starr had met Tweedy in China. Tweedy was to serve as a counsel in the company but was basically reporting to Youngman. In any case, with the addition of two men of the stature of Youngman

and Tweedy (and a wife as formidable as Mary Tweedy), CV Starr & Co. was a firm to be taken seriously.

Youngman and Tweedy were at the front of a line of American International executives involved with intelligence agencies.

It started with Starr, who, as reported previously, worked with “Wild Bill” Donovan, head of the OSS, during the war. A number of Starr's employees served as agents.

In the case of Youngman, basically he had a string of six or seven operatives like Tweedy. A controversial employee was Duncan Lee, a friend of Youngman's, who was not one of his operatives during the war. While working at CV Starr, he had to be smuggled to Bermuda by Youngman because he was targeted by Senator Joe McCarthy in his Communist witch-hunting. Lee, a descendant of General Robert E. Lee and a Rhodes scholar, was born to missionary parents in Nanking, China. He graduated from Yale and

returned to Yale Law School after Oxford. He joined the law firm of Donovan and Leisure, and followed World War I hero “Wild Bill” Donovan (holder of a Medal of Honor) to Washington. He was fingered in the

book The Haunted Wood as being a Soviet spy. In the early summer of 1942 Lee was appointed confidential assistant to Donovan, chief of the OSS. Lee was employed by the OSS from 1942 to 1946. A decryption

from June 1943 lists six Soviet agents working in the OSS. One of the Soviet sources was identified as Duncan Lee. Lee allegedly supplied the Soviet Union with a list of OSS employees suspected of being

Communists or Communist sympathizers, and informed Moscow of the impending D-Day invasion in 1944 and operations in China and Japan. Decoded Soviet intelligence cables show Lee reporting on British and

American diplomatic strategy for negotiating with Stalin over postwar Poland, American diplomatic activities in Turkey and Romania, and OSS operations in China and France. Elizabeth Bentley, aVassar

graduate descended from Mayflower pas- sengers, testified before the House Un-American Activities Committee that Duncan Lee and others such as Alger Hiss were Soviet spies.But Lee was never prosecuted.

Later, he privately admitted that he and his wife had joined the Communist Party while they were students at Yale. In 1944 his wife discovered he was having an affair with another Communist courier,

Mary Price. He subsequently remarried and moved to Bermuda but fervently denied that he had ever done anything in the least revolutionary. When former White House counsel, was interviewed for a biographical oral history project, he described Lee as a McCarthy victim who was quite visible and very interested in China. Cutler's interviewer said he was a Soviet spy.

In any case,Youngman was totally supportive of Lee and backed him throughout the ordeal, as did Starr. He later returned to New York and finished a successful career at the company.

All told,Youngman brought at least four of his former OSS operatives into the Starr companies, including Betancourt, Weinbrenner, and Tweedy.

While this meant there were lots of executives with loyalties to Youngman, this was not a threat to Starr, although it may have been to other ambitious executives.

All these former OSS operatives prospered at American International, which, again, was commensurate with Starr's notion that you did not need to know insurance to do well in his company. Later, Greenberg

would perform a similar service, ....

http://www.google.com/search?q=starr+british+sis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a#q=starr+british+sis&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=bks&source=og&sa=N&tab=wp&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d714f29b72847677&biw=1320&bih=655

Roosevelt and Churchill: men of secrets

books.google.comDavid Stafford, David Stafford - 2000 - 359 pages - Snippet view

Keswick was particularly well placed to know this, because he had been best friend to Starr and his British-born wife in ... Starr from an American into a British intelligence asset, thus boosting SIS's Chinese intelligence output and ...

The shadow warriors: O.S.S. and the origins of the C.I.A.

books.google.comBradley F. Smith - 1983 - 507 pages - Snippet view

Later Starr became disgusted with what he considered Donovan's inefficiency and transferred his services to the British SIS but the Starr-Donovan connection worked in China at least until the winter of 1943-44.88 The establishment of ..

http://www.secinfo.com/dXGy6.719.7.htm

CHARTER OF AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL LIFE ASSURANCE COMPANY OF NEW YORK

Sec. 8. The names and post-office residence addresses of the directors who

shall serve until the first annual meeting of such corporation are as follows:

Name Post-Office Residence Address

---- -----------------------------

John Ahlers 160 Cabrini Blvd., New York 33, N.Y.

Paul M. Anderson 1158 Fifth Avenue, New York 29, N.Y.

Gerarld F. Beal 1 Beekman Place, New York 22, N.Y.

Creighton P. Cunningham 7 Fairview Terrace, Maplewood, N.J.

W. Palmer Dixon 550 Park Avenue, New York 21, N.Y.

Maurice R. Greenberg 1001 Park Avenue, New York 28, N.Y.

Francis F. Randolph 129 East 69th Street, New York 21, N.Y.

Ralph T. Reed 435 East 52nd Street, New York 22, N.Y.

Jack J. Reynolds 1158 Fifth Avenue, New York 29, N.Y.

Cornelius V. Starr 930 Fifth Avenue, New York 21, N.Y.

Gordon B. Tweedy 520 East 86th Street, New York 28, N.Y.

John S. Woodbridge Scott's Cove, Darien, Conn.

William S. Youngman 778 Park Avenue, New York 21, N.Y.

....On this 5th day of March, 1962, before me personally came the

following-named individuals, to me known, who being by me duly sworn did each

acknowledge to me that he resides at the address shown after his respective

name:

Frank G. Sterritte 28 Fairview Avenue, East Williston, N.Y.

Augustus K. Karg 43 Noe Avenue, Madison, N.J.

Kenyon D. Ettinger 137 Asharoken Avenue, Northport, N.Y.

Arthur F. Searing 200 East 57th Street, New York, 22, N.Y.

Robert L. White 20 Stone Fence Road, Allendale, N.J.

Richard A. McCarthy 86 Princeton Street, Garden City, N.Y.

Robert A. McCorkle 200 East 71st Street, New York 21, N.Y.

Arthur O. King 1 Washington Sq. Village, New York 12, N.Y.

and that he is a proposed incorporator of AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL LIFE

ASSURANCE COMPANY OF NEW YORK

NY Times - 21 December, 1968

6279343813_e65ee21782_b.jpg

http://firedoglake.com/2009/05/25/hank-greenberg-starr-international-and-the-mystery-of-the-aig-stock-sale/

By: Cynthia Kouril Monday May 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Reuters reported that Hank Greenberg has entered into agreements to sell all of his shares in AIG to another entity he controls, Starr International Company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/05/02/us-aig-idUSTRE5410MH20090502

Maurice "Hank" Greenberg, the former head of American International Group, Inc. (AIG.N), which was rescued by a federal bailout, has agreed to sell his nearly 12.9 million shares of AIG to Starr International, according to an agreement filed on Friday.

Greenberg has also entered into agreement to sell shares of AIG owned by other entities that he controls, all to Starr International.

In addition, the agreement calls for Starr to purchase the Greenberg Foundation’s 989,308 shares, the Greenberg Joint Tenancy Co.’s 25.3 million shares, and the Universal Foundation’s 2.1 million shares under the same terms. Greenberg controls all of the selling entities.

Starr is also buying 10.5 million shares from an entity called C.V. Starr and another 8.58 million shares from C.V. Starr and Trust, Inc., two other units led by Greenberg, according to the filing.

Starr, a company owned and named after the founder of AIG, Cornelias Van Der Starr, was already the largest single shareholder in AIG until the federal bailout of AIG gave 80% control to the government.

Starr International controls 205.8 million AIG shares.

Before the U.S. government’s $150 billion bailout in September, Starr International was AIG’s largest shareholder. In exchange for the bailout, taxpayers received a nearly 80 percent stake in the company.

Some background about Starr International and AIG:

You should begin by reading this 2005 article in the Wall Street Journal, it depicts a scene that appears to come straight from the pages of an Edith Wharton novel.

http://www.rmi.gsu.edu/rmi/faculty/klein/RMI_3500/Readings/Other/AIG_ExclusiveClub.htm

In an annual ritual, an elite group of executives and retirees of insurance behemoth American International Group, Inc. files into a giant boardroom here, some traveling from as far away as Japan or Europe. They each pick up an envelope with their name on the front and a single sheet of paper inside.

It’s a two-line entry: how many preferred shares the recipient got that year in a private partnership called C.V. Starr & Co. that invests money for favored AIG executives — and how much their previous stake’s value climbed in the year. The chairman of C.V. Starr, Maurice R. "Hank" Greenberg, usually gives a quick update of the business, an insurance agency launched decades ago by AIG’s founder, Cornelius Vander Starr.

Hardly anyone asks a question, say several people who have attended the meetings. Those who do are chastised. The meeting may last as little as 20 minutes before breaking for dinner, but attendees wouldn’t miss it for anything. C.V. Starr owns $2.5 billion of AIG stock, and its profits are meant to be shared by the people in the room, whose numbers have swelled to about 80 from a handful a half century ago.

"It is the ultimate accolade," says Mr. Greenberg. In an interview Friday, his first public remarks since his 37-year reign as head of AIG abruptly ended, he says membership "makes people feel that they are part of a club."

Starr International was created out the holdings of Mr. Vander Starr:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2005/12/16/63090.htm

Spitzer said Greenberg was an executor of the estate of his mentor, Cornelius Vander Starr, who created a worldwide network of insurance companies, including AIG, in the early 1900s. Starr died Dec. 20, 1968 and Greenberg was one of the executors of the estate, according to Spitzer’s letter.

In 1969 and 1970, the estate sold Starr’s shares in American International Underwriters Far East Inc., C.V. Starr & Co., Inc., and Starr International Co. The shares were purchased by C.V. Starr & Co., Inc. and Starr International Co., which were owned and controlled by Greenberg and other close associates of Starr, according to the letter.

Starr international is the holding company of the assets of the Starr Trust:

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10008364.shtml

In 2004, Starr International (SICO), a private Panamanian company, which has assets worth more than $20 billion, and Starr International Charitable Trust, moved their headquarters to Dublin from Bermuda.

Starr International Charitable Trust of Dublin is the ultimate beneficiary of SICO should the latter ever be dissolved. The structure is similar to the Irish Times where a standard limited company runs the operations while it is ultimately controlled by a charitable trust.

SICO is controlled by the eighty-one-year-old Maurice "Hank" Greenberg and he is also chairman of the charity.

Greenberg, who was ousted as chairman of the world’s largest insurer AIG following an investigation by the outgoing New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer into transactions with Berkshire Hathaway’s General Re, does not own SICO’s stock but he continues to wield influence because the company holds shares in AIG worth more than $20 billion.

So, let me tie this all together for you. The shares once held by AIG founder Cornelius Vander Starr were purchased by Starr International and related companies (SICO). SICO is the holding company for the assets held in trust by the Starr Trust and C.V. Starr and Trust, Inc. If you get picked to be a beneficiary of the Starr Trust, you have a retirement payout worth millions or billions. Not only that, but who becomes a beneficiary, and the amount by which one benefits, seems to be somewhat arbitrary. That allows those who control SICO and the Trust a lot of discretion to move money around.

So, while the press and the President were howling about bonus payments worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or maybe millions, the members of the club, that group of "insider" insiders beholden to the Starr trusts, were on the receiving end of many millions, and maybe billions.

I wonder if they had a good laugh.

Now, Greenberg is moving to consolidate all the AIG shares he controls into a single vehicle, Starr International Co. Is he preparing for a bankruptcy play? Some sort of proxy fight? Is he using the assets of Starr International to cash out at a supported price? The deal guarantees him the greater of $1.25 per share price or the closing price on the day immediately prior to the day of the sale.

One thing is for sure, nobody moves this many shares and this much money around just for the heck of it.

When the new "Pecora Commission" is established, I would expect to see a fair amount of testimony and investigation related to this, as well as other AIG transactions. There is a mystery unfolding here.

Dear Mr. "A Brilliant Mind" Scully,

What does all of this have to do with the assassination of JFK? Could you possibly, occasionally, please, uhh.. "get to the point"? Or would that be too simple? It's too bad you can't come up with more than you did (on another thread) regarding The Reverend Oscar Bryant Graham (Sr.), who was the reverend at, and apparently the owner of, The Abundant Life Temple in Oak Cliff on November 22, 1963... [Hint: He's the guy Jim Garrison referred to as "Obie Graham" (as in O.B. , as in Oscar Bryant) and called a National States Rights type.]

--Odd Tommy

Edited by Thomas Graves

Guest Tom Scully

Tom,

I'm tired of your relentless (as in every reply you make to a post of mine), mocking. You've repeated your performance enough times at this point for a reasonable person to believe you've engaged in a series of personal attacks.

I've tried ignoring your posts. Now I am politely asking you to stop.

Tom,

I'm tired of your relentless (as in every reply you make to a post of mine), mocking. You've repeated your performance enough times at this point for a reasonable person to believe you've engaged in a series of personal attacks.

Mr Scully,

Sorry, Tom. I really do appologize.

I just don't see how most of your extremely lenghty posts on this forum relate (except perhaps very tenuously/tangentially) to the assassination of J.F.K. And they are so darn time consuming to read and make sense out of and to try to augur the "connections" to the assassination which you evidently see! (It would be nice if you could arrive at some conclusions and state them in your posts.)

Carry on!

Best regards,

--Thomas

P.S. Now, what about the reverend O.B. Graham (Sr.)?

Edited by Thomas Graves

Tom,

Mr Scully,

I just don't see how most of your extremely lenghty posts on this forum relate (except perhaps very tenuously/tangentially) to the assassination of J.F.K. And they are so darn time consuming to read and make sense out of and to try to augur the "connections" to the assassination which you evidently see! (It would be nice if you could arrive at some conclusions and state them in your posts.)

Carry on!

Best regards,

--Thomas

I'm sure that Tom would like to talk next about O.B. 1 Kano-be, the force is with you Tom, I am your father.

Tom,

Mr Scully,

Carry on!

Best regards,

--Thomas

I'm sure that Tom would like to talk next about O.B. 1 Kano-be, the force is with you Tom, I am your father. (emphasis added by Thomas "Tommy O'Pepper" Michael-William Mahon-Graves)

That's wonderful, Scott!

But I gotta ask: Which one? LOL! Google "Tommy O'Pepper" or, if you prefer, The Amazing Adventures and Misadventures of a Surfer Dude in Paris, etc. and you'll see what I mean. Warning: just like me, it's a piece of work in progress. LOL.

--Tommy

Edited by Thomas Graves

Tom,

Mr Scully,

Carry on!

Best regards,

--Thomas

I'm sure that Tom would like to talk next about O.B. 1 Kano-be, the force is with you Tom, I am your father. (emphasis added by Thomas "Tommy O'Pepper" Michael-William Mahon-Graves)

That's wonderful, Scott!

But I gotta ask: Which one? LOL! Google "Tommy O'Pepper" or, if you prefer, The Amazing Adventures and Misadventures of a Surfer Dude in Paris, etc. and you'll see what I mean. Warning: just like me, it's a piece of work in progress. LOL.

--Tommy

:D

Guest Tom Scully

Mr. Graves and Mr. Kaiser, with all due respect, after reviewing both of your posts on just this one thread, what on earth do the two of your think you are doing here? Where do you think you are? What are you adding to this thread, or, this forum? If what the two of you have "contributed" in this thread is representative, all any reader has to do is read your posts here to get a sense of your contributions.

Here is Mr. Kaiser in one of his recent posts on another thread, responding to the language in a linked forum rule I had pointed out to him for the purpose of informing him about how he is expected to conduct himself on this forum. He excerpted a portion of the forum rule, and seemingly begins a discussion with the rule, taking offense with it. It is a rule, not a comment critical of him.:

If you have some idea which goes against commonly-held theory, then you are welcome to argue it here. If you do not wish your credibility to be questioned, you should be prepared to defend your arguments. Direct questions should be answered in a timely manner.

Excuse me for not making you feel more welcome by answering you in some timely manner. I had no idea, I was on the clock? I'd like to first say someone on this Forum kicked me off for a week because of the post I made saying that my father knew and worked with Posada. No one believed me then so why should you not beleive me when I tell you that Bush was very much apart of the Bay of Pigs?

Now, let me ask you a question? Who are you that I need to prove myself to? I have proven my Bonafide's, are you? And, my dearest Greg,

Mr. Graves, I posted this info related to O.B. Graham, at your request. I responded to your request in good faith. I spent time tracking it down. You've posted that you did not find the info particularly helpful. Can we leave it at that?

I accept your apology and I commented above in response to what you've posted since. In the spirit briefly influenced by your conciliatory tone, responding to your post apology criticism of what I post and how I post it, please consider that this is a thread displaying references to Bronfman and organized crime in early posts. I posted background supporting my posts here, early in the text of my first post on this thread. Possibly you are familiar with this because your first post on this thread appears immediately below this:

....D'Almeida was a V.P. at Dr. Saul O. and Nathan Sobol's North American Chemical company since 1961. D'Almeida was the stepson of Paul Felix Warburg from age 14. when his mother, the former wife of William R. Tapper, a coal co. executive from Chicago, married Warburg.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18008&pid=236771&st=0entry236771

and http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14879&view=findpost&p=236772

D'Almeida's sister married FDR, Jr. about a month before D'Almeida was indicted in the shooting death of Gerald Gerardo. D'Almeida had a close relationship through his Warburg family with brothers Carl and John L. Loeb. Loeb's daughter Ann married Edgar Bronfman, Sr. in 1953.....

The owner and founder of this forum devoted a thread to this:

Has anyone got anything on Thomas Concoran? He was a member of the Suite 8F Group. He was also closely years connected to Sam Rayburn and Lyndon B. Johnson. Despite his shady business dealings he was never convicted of a criminal offence.

It is claimed that Concoran played an important role in persuading John F. Kennedy to make Johnson his running-mate. Interestingly, his brother, Howard Corcoran, was the judge in the trial of Ray Crump, who was charged with the murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer. Howard Corcoran insisted that Mary’s private life should not be mentioned in court. This was very important in disguising the possible motive for the murder. Corcoran also kept the fact that Mary was the former wife of Cord Meyer, a senior figure in the CIA. As Crump’s lawyer, Dovey Roundtree, pointed out, as a result of Concoran's actions, the court found out little information about her: "It was as if she existed only on the towpath on the day she was murdered."

In the hope that it will help make it clearer to you that I am doing on this thread what I am almost always attempting in my posts on this forum, sharing (at no charge, Mr. Kaiser) what I hope will be useful and relevant info for one or more other JFK researchers, this is what is behind what I have been posting lately, on several threads. It is 39 years since the publication date, and not much more has been posted on this forum related to this information. I thought I could change that.

(quote) http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=for+it+is+a+striking+fact+corcoran++&btnG=#ds=bo&pq=%22tommy+corcoran%2C+the+washington+lawyer+for+%22++&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=54&gs_id=34&xhr=t&q=%22Tommy+Corcoran%2C+the+Washington+lawyer+for+%22++youngman&qe=IlRvbW15IENvcmNvcmFuLCB0aGUgV2FzaGluZ3RvbiBsYXd5ZXIgZm9yICIgIHlvdW5nbWFu&qesig=4kusDQpUlResI3cydaKrQQ&pkc=AFgZ2tl4M5GYxlb4VnKcvjQf0QUTeU5DVp22NmxxQMruKcMxzcZWdyK4AFz8fRIwZAI01xtgVeXcg7rIt-xUFob9QQXVdskEGg&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&tbo=1&tbm=bks&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=%22Tommy+Corcoran,+the+Washington+lawyer+for+%22++youngman&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d714f29b72847677&biw=1320&bih=655

The war conspiracy: the secret road to the second Indochina war

books.google.comPeter Dale Scott, Peter Dale Scott - 1972 - 238 pages - Snippet view

For it is a striking fact that the law firm of Tommy Corcoran, the Washington lawyer for CATCL and TV Soong, has had its own links to the interlocking worlds of the China Lobby and of organized crime. His partner WS Young- man joined the board of US Life and other domestic insurance companies, controlled by CV Starr (OSS China) with the help of Philippine and other Asian capital. Youngman's fellow-directors of Starr's companies have included John S. Woodbridge of Pan Am, Francis F. Randolph of J. and W. Seligman, W. Palmer Dixon of Loeb Rhoades, Charles Edison of the postwar China Lobby, and Alfred B. Jones of the Nationalist Chinese government's registered agency, the Universal Trading Corporation. The McClellan Committee heard that in 1950 US Life (with Edison a director) and a much smaller company (Union Casualty of New York) were allotted a major Teamsters insurance contract, after a lower bid from a larger and safer company had been rejected. Hoffa was accused by a fellow- trustee, testifying under oath before another committee, of intervening on behalf of US Life and Union Casualty, whose agents were Hoffa's close business associates Paul and Allan Dorfman. (/quote)

Isn't it remarkable that Peter Dale Scott published the info above, ten years before the former WC Senior Asst. Counsel tasked with investigating whether or not Oswald or Ruby was part of a conspiracy, made the news here, in the 1980's?

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=17658&st=1170&p=227386entry227386

...or that this same attorney turned up here, in 1953?

....Mr. (Robert F.) Kennedy. Do you have also some correspondence {Rowing liow

this insurance for local 1031 Was awarded to Allen Dorfman^

15992 IRIPROPER ACTIVITIES IN THE LABOR FIELD

Mr. Uhlmann. Yes, sir. As a matter of fact, Mr. Darling who

was head of the union then, and he still is, was questioned about it

by another committee some few years ago. During the hearing he

was questioned, I should say, about the events that lead up to awarding

this insurance. He said that he had discussed the matter with Mr.

Jacobs, who was attorney for local 1031, and he was the Joe Jacobs

that I referred to earlier, and he had also discussed it with Mr. Paul

Dorfman and he tliought that Allen Dorfman was present at the time,,

and Dr. Perlman, of course, as the vice president of the underwriter^

was there too.

Mr. Kennedy. Would you put the correspondence in the record.

We have some correspondence indicating how this insurance was

awarded through Allen Dorfman, and we would also like to have it

placed in the record for reference.

The Chairman. What do you have, Mr. Witness, witli respect to

correspondence on this point ?

Mr. Uhlmann. Well, on April 27, 1949

IMPROPER ACTIVITIES IN THE LABOR FIELD 15993

...On April 8, 1950, Allen Dorfman wrote to William Smith, one of

the officers of the Union Casualty Co., pointing out that he had

talked with Mr. Darling about getting some life insurance for a group

of members, and that the life insurance at the time was carried with

another company. He mentioned that Mr. Darling would like to

turn that business over to him, that is, Mr. Dorfman, as — well, to

quote it, he says : "As a favor to me."

lie then suggested that the company try to bid on it with a view

to having the business transferred to them.

On November 28, 1949, we find a letter written by the company at

Mount Vernon. This person that wrote the letter was assistant, then,

to Dr. Perlman, and he advises the United States Life Insurance Co.,

wliich then was underwriting the life portion of this insurance, to

address all commimications to their representative who was handling

•claims, and tliat all such communications be sent to the office of the

local, that is, Mr. Darling's office.

So apparently the insurance company itself, from this correspond-

ence, did not have its own office in the city of Chicago, since it was

using the facilities of local 1031 for the purpose of handling and

paying claims.

Mr. Kennedy. It would indicate even at the time that this insur-

ance was granted that neither ]Mr. Allen Dorfman had an office nor

the insurance company had an office in Chicago ?

Mr. UiiLMANN. Yes, sir; that is correct.... (/quote)

Again, even at the risk that some will react as if I am beating a dead horse; RFK had to know that Albert Jenner had been Chicago Electrical Workers Union local manager, M. Frank Darling's lawyer, and thus, had to know at least as well as I do that Albert Jenner had no business being a lead investigator of Jack Ruby's ties to Chicago organized crime figures.

I need a better explanation than fear for the reason that RFK did not intervene to remove Jenner, or protest when such intervention was unsuccessful, or question the WC report's "no conspiracies" conclusions, if all other efforts failed. I need to know why there was so much later press and other print commentary of Jenner's post WC legal representation of Allen Dorfman, but absolutely none related to his representation of Frank Darling in the 1953 hearings in Washington, when it became part of the public record that Darling was the Dorfmans' first union customer, chosen by Darling despite the Dorfmans' total lack of business references or experience in insurance, and no offer from them at all to rebate Darling's union local for excess insurance premiums.

As attorney general, RFK also had to be exposed to the FBI's investigation of James M. Ragen's 1947 assertions about the Chicago mob, that it was controlled by Albert Jenner's most important client in late 1963.

(quote) http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks%3A1&tbo=1&q=%22led+to+very+high+places%22&btnG=Search+Books#q=%22Yet%20they%20still%20controlled%20the%20mob%22%20&hl=en&tbs=nws:1,sbd:1,ar:1&source=lnt&sa=X&psj=1&ei=aVQDTdrtCYOglAf64uG1CQ&ved=0CBUQpwU&fp=fe401f148de4c665

October 26, 1963

...business men and politicians whose names were household words in Chicago Some of them it was stated had reformed Yet they still controlled the mob.(/quote)

(quote) http://books.google.com/books?ei=iU4DTbmvLMWqlAfZ3aD_Bw&ct=result&id=UD0LAAAAIAAJ&dq=percent+darling+mr.+jenner&q=%22Mr.+Jenner.+Excuse+me%2C+I+don%27t+think+the+witness+understands+the+question.%22#search_anchor

Hearings

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Education - 1953 - page 226

Mr. McKenna. The retention rate at that time was 100 percent, is that correct? Mr. Jenner. Excuse me, I don't think the witness understands the question. Mr. Darling. I don't know what you mean by the question...(/quote)

Retention rates of excess health insurance premiums paid, less the amount paid out to cover claims, seem to have normally been no more than 7-1/2 percent. Insurance brokers such as the Dorfmans already were receiving a commission for brokering the insurance policy. Albert Jenner was representing to the congressmen in 1953 that his client Darling permitted the Dorfmans to retain 100 percent of the excess premium because Darling did not even understand the concept. At the beginning of the questioning, Jenner had been admonished not to answer for his client and he agreed that he would never do that.

Later, during the same hearing,

(quote) http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks%3A1&tbo=1&q=mr.+hoffa.+and+i+will+show+you+how+it+is+not+true&btnG=Search+Books#sclient=psy&hl=en&tbo=1&tbs=bks:1&source=hp&q=%22mr.+hoffa.+and+i+will+show+you+how+it+is+not+true%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%22mr.+hoffa.+and+i+will+show+you+how+it+is+not+true%22&gs_rfai=&psj=1&fp=7a5ff6e4754518c3

Hearings

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Education - 1953 - Page 425

...Mr. Hoffa. And I will show you how it is not true. Do you see this little dollar here? That is $1. This dollar here is with four quarters. There is no mystery about retention. There is no mystery about purchasing insurance. ...(/quote)

Getting back now to posting new information in this thread. Why are the Bronfmans and the Loebs supporting the Genovese mob connected Louis D'Almeida after he is linked in numerous newspaper and magazine articles from the mid 1960's, a murder investigation in 1969, by hiring him at Seagrams' ad agency in the 1970's and supporting his youth basketball program with millions of dollars in fund raising assistance and direct personal and corporate financial support for more than 30 years?

Tommy Corcoran's and C.V. Starr's partner, W.S. Youngman :

(quote)_http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/15/obituaries/william-youngman-insurance-lawyer-87.html

William Youngman, Insurance Lawyer, 87

Published: October 15, 1994

William S. Youngman, a lawyer once prominent in the insurance industry, died on Monday at his home in

Vero Beach, Fla. He was 87.

The cause was leukemia, said Connie Ruland, assistant to his son Robert.

For almost two decades starting in 1949, Mr. Youngman was president of C. V. Starr & Company, whose

operations included providing management services for the American International groups of insurance

companies. He was chairman of two companies in those groups, the American International Assurance

Company Ltd., Hong Kong, and the Philippine American Life Insurance Company, in the 1950's and 1960's,

and of other insurance companies over the years.

Mr. Youngman was born in Boston, graduated from Harvard College and Harvard Law School, was law

secretary to Judge Learned Hand and practiced law for some years in Boston.

From 1939 to 1941 he held Government posts in Washington, and from 1941 to 1949 he was a partner in

Corcoran & Youngman, a Washington law firm.

Since 1975, Mr. Youngman had lived in Vero Beach with his companion, Hilde Babin.

In addition to her and to his son Robert, of Manhattan, Mr. Youngman is survived by his wife, Elsie

Perkins Youngman of Manchester, Mass.; another son, William S. 3d, of Nashville; a daughter, Elsie Y.

Hull of Washington,(/quote)

Mr. Graves [...}

... please consider that this is a thread displaying references to Bronfman and organized crime in early posts. I posted background supporting my posts here, early in the text of my first post on this thread. Possibly you are familiar with this because your first post on this thread appears immediately below this:

[quote name='Tom Scully' date='22 October 2011 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1319280650' post='236846' (emphasis added by Odd Tommy)

[...}

No, Tom, I'm not familiar with it for the simple fact that I haven't read all of it. Why? Because time is precious, and I find your posts to be very long-winded and inpenetrable, and ever since I lost my Ouiji Board, I am unable to make any sense out of them.

Check this out: The early sixties head of the Mafia in San Diego was, in his old age, a close friend of one of my brother's mother-in-law, and one evening, at a family gathering, he asked me if I'd be his driver. If I'd known about his and his brother's background (from Sicily to Detroit to Tijuana to San Diego), I would have accepted his offer, but I didn't know and therefore I didn't. Regardless, does his friendship with my brother's mother-in-law mean that she was Mafia, too? I think not, but you seem to love looking for and "documenting" these kind of "connections". Heaven help us! LOL

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

Guest Tom Scully

If anyone is still following this thread in spite of the distractions added by the admitted uninterested contributors here, I also find a few other details interesting.

The Seagram advertising account was handled by the agency Warwick, Welsh, & Miller, with offices in the Bronfman Seagram building at 375 Park Avenue, who happened to hire Louis D'Almeida and employ him from about 1975 and into the 1980s.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=%94Bermuda+but+fervently+denied%22&btnG=#ds=bo&pq=%E2%80%9D*he+had+worked+for+the+china+national+aviation+%22&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=64&gs_id=d0&xhr=t&q=%E2%80%9D*andYale+Law+School+who%2C+like+Youngman%2C+had+a+China+connection.%22&qe=HSphbmRZYWxlIExhdyBTY2hvb2wgd2hvLCBsaWtlIFlvdW5nbWFuLCBoYWQgYSBDaGluYSBjb25uZWN0aW9uLiI&qesig=ZeIdT-lhXcMmw1ramP-B6g&pkc=AFgZ2tndaO0hTR-QSEryNmLFpB-bvP0pee58i49Iaa5lhWg5efIvcuBfBOQNEGHPObs7AIPqCi1PzXjNsJ5BnYxwbiXx968UAA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&tbo=1&tbm=bks&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=%E2%80%9D*andYale+Law+School+who,+like+Youngman,+had+a+China+connection.%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d714f29b72847677&biw=1320&bih=655

Fallen Giant: The Amazing Story of Hank Greenberg and the History ... - Page 98

books.google.comRonald Kent Shelp, Al Ehrbar - 2009

...In any case,Youngman was totally supportive of Lee and backed him throughout the ordeal, as did Starr. He later returned to New York and finished a successful career at the company.

All told,Youngman brought at least four of his former OSS operatives into the Starr companies, including Betancourt, Weinbrenner, and Tweedy.

While this meant there were lots of executives with loyalties to Youngman, this was not a threat to Starr, although it may have been to other ambitious executives.

All these former OSS operatives prospered at American International, which, again, was commensurate with Starr's notion that you did not need to know insurance to do well in his company. Later, Greenberg

would perform a similar service, ....

http://www.google.com/search?q=starr+british+sis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a#q=starr+british+sis&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=bks&source=og&sa=N&tab=wp&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d714f29b72847677&biw=1320&bih=655

Roosevelt and Churchill: men of secrets

books.google.comDavid Stafford, David Stafford - 2000 - 359 pages - Snippet view

Keswick was particularly well placed to know this, because he had been best friend to Starr and his British-born wife in ... Starr from an American into a British intelligence asset, thus boosting SIS's Chinese intelligence output and ...

The shadow warriors: O.S.S. and the origins of the C.I.A.

books.google.comBradley F. Smith - 1983 - 507 pages - Snippet view

Later Starr became disgusted with what he considered Donovan's inefficiency and transferred his services to the British SIS but the Starr-Donovan connection worked in China at least until the winter of 1943-44.88 The establishment of ..

http://www.secinfo.com/dXGy6.719.7.htm

CHARTER OF AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL LIFE ASSURANCE COMPANY OF NEW YORK

Sec. 8. The names and post-office residence addresses of the directors who

shall serve until the first annual meeting of such corporation are as follows:

---- -----------------------------

Paul M. Anderson 1158 Fifth Avenue, New York 29, N.Y.

Gerarld F. Beal 1 Beekman Place, New York 22, N.Y.

W. Palmer Dixon 550 Park Avenue, New York 21, N.Y.

Maurice R. Greenberg 1001 Park Avenue, New York 28, N.Y.

Francis F. Randolph 129 East 69th Street, New York 21, N.Y.

Ralph T. Reed 435 East 52nd Street, New York 22, N.Y.

Cornelius V. Starr 930 Fifth Avenue, New York 21, N.Y.

John S. Woodbridge Scott's Cove, Darien, Conn.

....On this 5th day of March, 1962, before me personally came the

following-named individuals, to me known, who being by me duly sworn did each

acknowledge to me that he resides at the address shown after his respective

name:

Frank G. Sterritte 28 Fairview Avenue, East Williston, N.Y.

Augustus K. Karg 43 Noe Avenue, Madison, N.J.

Kenyon D. Ettinger 137 Asharoken Avenue, Northport, N.Y.

Arthur F. Searing 200 East 57th Street, New York, 22, N.Y.

Robert L. White 20 Stone Fence Road, Allendale, N.J.

Richard A. McCarthy 86 Princeton Street, Garden City, N.Y.

Robert A. McCorkle 200 East 71st Street, New York 21, N.Y.

Arthur O. King 1 Washington Sq. Village, New York 12, N.Y.

and that he is a proposed incorporator of AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL LIFE

ASSURANCE COMPANY OF NEW YORK

NY Times - 21 December, 1968

6279343813_e65ee21782_b.jpg

Dear Mr. "A Brilliant Mind" Scully,

What does all of this have to do with the assassination of JFK? Could you possibly, occasionally, please, uhh.. "get to the point"? Or would that be too simple? ..................

--Odd Tommy

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/sep/22/news/mn-25118

The Secret (Insurance) Agent Men

COLUMN ONE

A WWII unit gathered underwriters' data, such as bomb plant blueprints, from warring nations, declassified U.S. files show.

September 22, 2000|MARK FRITZ | TIMES STAFF WRITER

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — They knew which factories to burn, which bridges to blow up, which cargo ships could be sunk in good conscience. They had pothole counts for roads used for invasion and head counts for city blocks marked for incineration.

They weren't just secret agents. They were secret insurance agents. These undercover underwriters gave their World War II spymasters access to a global industry that both bankrolled and, ultimately, helped bring down Adolf Hitler's Third Reich.

Newly declassified U.S. intelligence files tell the remarkable story of the ultra-secret Insurance Intelligence Unit, a component of the Office of Strategic Services, a forerunner of the CIA, and its elite counterintelligence branch X-2.

Though rarely numbering more than a half dozen agents, the unit gathered intelligence on the enemy's insurance industry, Nazi insurance titans and suspected collaborators in the insurance business. But, more significantly, the unit mined standard insurance records for blueprints of bomb plants, timetables of tide changes and thousands of other details about targets, from a brewery in Bangkok to a candy company in Bergedorf.

"They used insurance information as a weapon of war," said Greg Bradsher, a historian and National Archives expert on the declassified records.

That insurance information was critical to Allied strategists, who were seeking to cripple the enemy's industrial base and batter morale by burning cities.

"Within a few days, a conference on the burning possibilities of some important cities will be held," unit chief Robert "Lucky Luke" Rushin wrote a colleague in February 1944, when he was sending data to an Allied bombing-target committee. "I have reproductions of approximately 150 plans covering Jap plants about ready to ride."

The files, at the National Archives office in College Park, are among the latest U.S. intelligence documents ordered declassified by President Clinton last year to speed the identification of Nazi assets.

Most of the research attention there has focused on what U.S. intelligence knew about the Holocaust, the whereabouts of Nazi loot, the migration of Nazi war criminals and how much important information never made it to the Oval Office.

But the documents suggest that insurance played an important, if less-noticed, role in the war.

The OSS insurance unit was launched in early 1943, long after it had become alarmingly clear that the Nazis were using their insurance industry not only to help finance the war but also to gather strategic data.

American insurance companies had been competing furiously for overseas business even after the United States entered the war, and the OSS files suggest that details about U.S. factories and cities were falling into enemy hands because of the interlocking international relationships among insurance companies.

Germany had 45% of the worldwide wholesale insurance industry before the war began and managed to actually expand its business as it conquered continental Europe. As wholesalers, or "reinsurers," these companies covered other insurers against a catastrophic loss that could wipe out a single company. In the process, the wholesaler learned everything about the lives and property they were reinsuring.

Unit's Efforts Are More Than Altruistic

The motives of the OSS unit's founders were both pragmatic and patriotic.

"This story is incredible because the unit begins as part of the desire of American [insurance] interests to contribute to the war effort and exploit it for future economic gain," said historian Timothy Naftali, a consultant to the Nazi War Criminals Interagency Working Group that was created by Congress last year.

The men behind the insurance unit were OSS head William "Wild Bill" Donovan and California-born insurance magnate Cornelius V. Starr.

Starr had started out selling insurance to Chinese in Shanghai in 1919 and, over the next 50 years, would build what is now American International Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the world. He was forced to move his operation to New York in 1939, when Japan invaded China.

In the early years of the war, the German insurance industry expanded its business as it conquered continental Europe. Nazi insurance brokers who traveled with combat troops during invasions also scoured local insurance files for strategic data.

German-owned companies were blacklisted by the Allies, but the Insurance Intelligence Unit found that the Nazis did business through countries such as Switzerland and laundered transactions through South American affiliates, particularly in Argentina.

"The blacklist is of no good use because the firms not blacklisted are full of Germans," one of the Insurance Intelligence Unit's reports complained in 1943.

Starr's people and other insurance executives had intimate knowledge of the people involved in the global insurance business, so they were able to track potential collaborators.

Among those they investigated was Carl Theodore Endemann, a naturalized American from Germany who was assigned by the American Foreign Insurance Assn. to Paris in the 1930s. When war broke out, Endemann sided with the Nazis. When France capitulated, Endemann contacted the Germans and gave them exceptionally detailed blueprints, maps and other information to aid Erwin Rommel's war in North Africa.

The report makes a dry reference to Endemann's British wife, the mother of their 7-year-old son, as a "staunchly pro-British" woman who, as a result, "was interned from time to time."

The Insurance Intelligence Unit also investigated Americans, which in some cases included an agent's boss. One report showed that an Argentine company owned by the American Foreign Insurance Assn. had a known Nazi collaborator on its board and reelected him after it promised it wouldn't.

The documents also said that two New York insurance executives, Cecil Stewart and Stewart Hopps, also came under scrutiny for selling war insurance to strategic U.S. industries and reselling some of the risk to Latin American affiliates linked to Nazi insurers. The men also ran a steamship company that chartered tankers for Royal Dutch Shell, a Nazi collaborator that used Hitler's slave laborers.

"It's very possible that details of American insurance properties could reach the enemy via this sequence of reinsurance transactions," the report said.

Stewart and Hopps were not unknown to the unit investigators--they had been part of the original OSS committee convened to design the Insurance Intelligence Unit, Naftali said.

Such convoluted business dealings were traced largely through the work of Ernest Stiefel, a member of the intelligence unit who diagrammed the way insurance companies pooled their risks, invested in and insured each other and, as a result, willfully or witlessly shared data about nations at war.

"Stiefel mapped the entire system," said Naftali, a historian at the University of Virginia's Miller Center of Public Affairs. "Each time I take a piece of your risk, you've got to give me information. I am not going to reinsure your company unless you give me all the documents. That's great intelligence information."

Naftali came across the first evidence of the unit when the CIA began to release OSS files in the 1980s. He interviewed some members--all now believed dead--for his 1993 doctoral dissertation.

Though the earlier files contained references to the insurance unit's work, the recent release adds details about how sensitive data was gathered and shared and how the unit operated.

Though a wiz with records, the unit had problems in the field, where agents operated without the knowledge of local American embassies. Information arrived months after it was requested, particularly from the Far East and North Africa, and in places such as Singapore and Morocco, where expatriates of all types mingled uneasily while the war's battles crept closer.

"They went into the field and the State Department didn't know who they were. The military didn't know who they were. They were largely in neutral zones. These fellows sat in backwaters for months, collecting material and sending it nowhere," Naftali said.

One operative, a Starr insurance man named Bob Smith, traveled throughout China and appeared in several local newspaper accounts as--what else?--a traveling insurance executive named Bob Smith.

Strategic Data Welcomed Back Home

The cables he sent back--still heavily censored by the CIA--showed a man who was under heavy suspicion, often anxious to leave his post and uncertain of how to deliver his information. At one point, posing as an insurance man on a humanitarian visit to a leper colony, he stumbled on Japanese positions in South China. He speculated that he wasn't shot at because the enemy was too busy laughing at Smith's pratfall-plagued attempts to flee through the thicket on a bicycle.

The strategic information was welcomed back at headquarters.

"Our thanks . . . for the gradient profile of the Chinese section of the Canton/Kowloon Railway," chirped the chatty but highly secret OSS newsletter ("Extra! Extra! It's twins for Al Booth!").

"Thank you for the Tokyo Water Supply data! We appreciate it very much," raved yet another edition.

Much information came from unit chief Rushin, a Home Insurance Co. executive who rose to U.S. Army major because of his work. Rushin was sent to London in late 1943 after it became clear that OSS and British intelligence had failed to tap London-based insurers for information about the Pacific theater.

In fact, Rushin found that a U.S. Embassy official assigned to collect such data had set up shop at Swiss Re, an insurance wholesaler still in business with the Nazis. But, through inexperience or incompetence, the embassy official had learned little of value.

Rushin was able to gather material that was even in demand by the British. It ranged from Chinese railway inspection reports to photos of the Mitsukoshi department store in downtown Tokyo to blueprints of the chemical company that made the poison gas Hitler used to kill Jews.

Rushin's biggest obstacle appeared to have been the war's own bureaucracy. "I don't have but two legs, no one to help and the job of reproducing is terrific," he complained in a March 1944 memo. "I have material now which has been in the hands of reproduction for six weeks."

Insurance unit spies also came across bits of juicy data that had nothing to do with insurance. They passed along news, for example, that the desperate Nazis had banned the "mourning ribbons" worn by families of the growing numbers of dead. They found a German newspaper obituary of "a collaborator" killed in a "cowardly" attempt by some of Hitler's men to blow up der Fuehrer.

When the tide of the war began to turn and German insurers began losing money, the U.S. insurance agents learned that Nazi insurers were pleading for peace. A source in Stockholm revealed in late 1943 that insurers advised Hitler's people that "ruin threatens all life and fire insurance companies in Germany.".....

....Axis Insurance Firms Resumed After the War

Though the Treasury Department wanted to keep harsh economic restrictions on the defeated Axis powers, the State Department prevailed, and German and Japanese insurance industries resumed operations after the war. Today, for example, Munich Re and Swiss Re are, once again, the two biggest insurance wholesalers in the world.

Rushin was promoted to the X-2 branch in Washington after his London mission and then returned to Home Insurance after the war. He retired from the company, which eventually was crushed by asbestos claims from cancer victims in the 1970s. In the end, Home itself didn't have enough insurance to cover its losses.

Starr sent insurance agents into Asia and Europe even before the bombs stopped falling and built what eventually became AIG, which today has its world headquarters in the same downtown New York building where the tiny OSS unit toiled in the deepest secrecy.

Starr died in 1968, but his empire endures. AIG is the biggest foreign insurance company in Japan. More than a third of its $40 billion in revenue last year came from the Far East theater that Starr helped carpet bomb and liberate.

Though the OSS files shed light on a little-known operation, there is no good way to fully read the moods and motivations of the people who were part of it. By all accounts, though, Rushin was proud of his spy service.

"He was delighted to talk about this," said Naftali, who talked with Rushin before he died. "He was in his 80s. I was lucky. This latest release [of documents] comes too late. These people are no longer alive."

(William S. Youngman had been Starr's second in command since 1949 wjen CV Starr hired Greenberg in 1960.)

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:l6jBYRQtqoIJ:www.insuranceobserver.com/PDF/2007/021607.pdf+education+and+forum+%22gordon+tweedy%22&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj3uvkIwzmEoPJ77xDDR10zat1SCbffTBinMllMvN8Tc_mXeZ-ODJUZPPvYpGl5qqCBxNWcr1D9Yne6PsRzdkc4vroRH84u2vahyBj4b8b7naqUUDNqpjFjebXiu60q9YzCW9kz&sig=AHIEtbQBsW7VWZlloWJCUKWoFuv8E1tTrw

Hank Greenberg in the Sixties - February 16, 2007

....Legend has it that Corcoran provided the critical link be-

tween Youngman and C.V. “Neil” Starr. At some point during the late 1940s, the

British government had seized a number of Starr assets abroad. Corcoran, whom

Starr had first approached about the prob-lem, considered the situation hopeless.

But he referred Starr to Youngman, who handled the assignment with his typical

aplomb. Starr was so impressed he of-fered him a job.

From Greenberg’s perspective, Youngman’s pedigree was a mixed bag.

On the one hand, it was partly the “mys-tique” that Youngman and his chief lieu-

tenant, Gordon Tweedy, lent C.V. Starr that had attracted him to the company in

the first place. “They were a different kind of breed than the insurance indus-

try” was used to, he says. On the other hand, Youngman and Tweedy had an ex-

ceedingly limited knowledge of the busi-ness—their value to the company came

primarily on the financial side, and from their vast political connections. At times,

this made them painfully oblivious to the operational issues Greenberg was so at-

tuned to. This was particularly true of the most vexing problem facing C.V. Starr in

those days: the fate of American Home. According to Cox, who spent several

years as American Home’s de facto CFO, the company had three sources of busi-

ness: its domestic agency system; large brokerage business from the likes of

Marsh & McLennan and Johnson & Higgins; and international property/casu-

alty business that came via the Starr com-pany’s AIU network. (AIU acted as an

agent for U.S. underwriters abroad.)

Unfortunately, the company was in terri-ble shape. “American Home was a dying

entity,” says Cox, adding that the domes-tic agency operation was especially woe-

ful. Worse, had American Home gone under, it would have dealt C.V. Starr &

Company a serious blow—not just finan-cially, but also in credibility terms.

American Home was the only company in the AIU network that C.V. Starr actually

owned, and it held property-casualty li-censes in several foreign countries.

Allowing it to fail would have effectively frozen Starr out of the underwriting busi-

ness in many parts of the world. Greenberg had taken a seat on the

board of American Home only a few months into his tenure with C.V. Starr.

He could see that the subsidiary needed massive surgery, and that Youngman et al.

were at a loss as to how to perform it. But he was reluctant to claim the assignment

himself. He only agreed after Starr implored him, and even then only after

securing a free hand to run the company. As a practical matter, that meant jetti-

soning the American Home agency force and rebuilding around a talented team of

underwriters. Greenberg would focus on insuring large risks, relying on brokers to

arrange the business. Lacking capital, he would then cede much of the risk to

reinsurers (mostly Reliance in those days), a strategy that, years later, became

his hallmark at AIG. As the reforms began to pay off,

Greenberg would joke to Cox about how Starr had “tried respectability, and it

didn’t work.”

“That was his way of putting a zinger into the Yale and Harvard education,”

says Cox. Greenberg has no memory of homing in on “respectability” per se. But

he admits remarking on how clueless Youngman and Tweedy were when it

came to saving American Home. “If they could have done it, they would have. It’s

as simple as that,” he says. “They didn’t have the answers.”

Youngman, for his part, felt a certain ambivalence toward Greenberg. The C.V.

Starr president was a consummate gentle-man, however, and his behavior with

Greenberg was no exception. He took care to accommodate his new colleague

even on personal matters. .....

''Casey and His CIA on the Rebound,'' New York Times Magazine January 16, 1983,

By Philip Taubman (continued from page 21 )

6288472214_01d0430e0f_b.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1071252,00.html

Monday, Jun. 13, 2005

Down...But Not Out

.....An industry giant lionized for his steel will and feared for his short fuse, Greenberg landed at Omaha Beach on D-day and was awarded a Bronze Star in the Korean War. Many say he is an enigma, that nobody really knows him. But perhaps he is not all that complicated. Everything he's done at AIG--hobnobbing with the elite, constant globe trotting, charitable giving, his 24/7 schedule--was aimed at one thing: making the company a more formidable global competitor. This is a man who knew how to play hardball to get what he wanted. A lawyer before he was an insurance man, he thought nothing of phoning members of Congress or even Cabinet-level officials at the White House to express his views on tort reform, insurance legislation or international trade.

Such was Greenberg's clout that after 15 years of contentious negotiations to allow China into the World Trade Organization in 2001, U.S. officials handed off the final sticking point--access to the insurance markets--to...Greenberg. After some tough meetings, he put his demands in a terse letter to Chinese Premier Zhu Rongji, who after reading them angrily summoned one of his top trade representatives and, according to that official, declared, "I would never, never see this old man."

But the vow was short lived. In less than an hour Zhu reconsidered, according to the trade official, Long Yongtu, who told this story at the Institute for International Economics in Washington last month. It was clear to Zhu that Greenberg, a private U.S. citizen with deep knowledge of China, had been given extraordinary authority. So Zhu sent Long to the "Greenberg suite" of a Shanghai hotel partly owned by AIG, and the two began working out the final pieces of a historic trade pact that, incidentally, gave Greenberg what he wanted: the right to keep running wholly owned subsidiaries.

That's the way he operated. Greenberg was legendary for taking his business into countries that no foreigners would try and for underwriting insurance policies that no competitors would risk--and squeezing the most out of every opportunity. His global heft was so valued by the government that in the 1980s he was dispatched on state business to the Philippines, where AIG subsidiary Philippine American Life Insurance is the largest insurer. His mission: make clear to President Ferdinand Marcos that foreign investors were uneasy with the unstable government; he should step down or conduct fair elections. (Marcos didn't listen and ultimately fled in disgrace.) In the early 1990s Greenberg met with Russian President Boris Yeltsin at the Kremlin and won approval for an AIG investment there.....

....Today AIG operates in 130 countries, has a stock-market value of $143 billion and nearly $100 billion of annual revenue. It's had a staggering transformation from the obscure firm that Greenberg took command of in 1967 and took public two years later with just $13 million of annual profit--a figure that swelled to $11 billion by last year. While building AIG in the 1970s and '80s, Greenberg often was the only foreigner in sight in politically combustible countries like Romania, Iran, Vietnam and other parts of the Far East, and would draw a curious crowd just crossing the street.

Nowhere is Greenberg's standing more firm than in China, where the forerunner company to AIG was founded in 1919 in Shanghai by the most important figure in his career, Cornelius Vander Starr, who hired Greenberg in 1960. Even though AIG had to shut down its operations in China in 1950 after the communists took over, Greenberg never lost sight of those roots and was thrilled when his company in 1998 reclaimed one of its original offices on the Bund in Shanghai. Ahead of most, he understood the vast economic potential of China and advocated for better relations to every U.S. President since Kennedy.

He has played a lead role in promoting China's capitalist transition, serving as chairman of the Asia Society and chairman of the U.S.-China Business Council, and creating and chairing the International Business Leaders' Advisory Council in Shanghai. The Chinese remain so enamored of Greenberg that this year they honored him with their prestigious Marco Polo Prize for promoting Sino-American relations. "Hank Greenberg is perhaps the best known and most admired American businessman at both top government and top business levels in [india and China]," says Peter G. Peterson, who was an economic adviser to Richard Nixon and has known Greenberg for years.....

An additional detail that has come out of this closer look at OSS and the insurance business is that Starr companies director in 1968 at the time of his death and coincidentally the reorganization of the Starr group, W Palmer Dixon of Rhoades, Loeb, sat on the Starr board along with John S. Woodbrige:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22john+s+woodbridge%22++&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=vdg&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=ar:1&tbm=nws&source=hp&q=today+seclusion+%22john+s+woodbridge%22&psj=1&oq=today+seclusion+%22john+s+woodbridge%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=1788326l1795244l0l1797710l16l10l0l0l0l5l2376l9159l4-1.0.1.0.2.2l10l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f33972b6a6e12c80&biw=1320&bih=655

New York Times - May 20, 1962

(continued from page 80)

Lindbergh, the Little Plane, the Big Atlantic; A FLIGHT TO REMEMBER--IN LINDBERGH'S WORDS Today: Seclusion

Since 1946, Charles A. Lindbergh and his wife, Anne, have lived in the Tokeneke district of Darien,

Conn. There in a house overlooking Scott's Cove off Long Island Sound, the man whose face was once fami-

xxxx throughout the world has made for himself a life of seclusion. The house is situated on a point of

land the Lindberghs share with John S. Woodbridge, controller of Pan American World Airways. Lindbergh is a consultant to the firm.

Residents of the area say they seldom see "the Gen-eral," as some call him: He goes an comes--in the early morning hours to avoid scrutiny, and he doesn't visit of have visitors (except for the Woodbridges). "Five years ago," one resident remarked, "he would have stopped for a chat. Now he drives past without a glance.".....

John Sylvester Woodbridge, the son of Jeanie Wilson Woodrow was born in Shanghai, China in 1897. He did not come to the U.S. until the age of 14. His grandfather, James E. Woodrow, was the brother of Janet E. Woodrow, the mother of Thomas Wilson Woodrow, President of the United States.

The thing that strikes me about this is that Lindbergh ended up hiding from the world for his last decades, living next to two people first selected by Juan Trippe to help run his companies, John S. Woodbridge and Sam Pryor, Jr. Why them?

.....Flying didn't take with Sam III, but it did with Tap. As a Marine helicopter pilot based in Hawaii, it was Tap who discovered the Maui paradise of "Seven Pools" where Pryor would build his retirement house overlooking the sea.

That paradise brought his friend, Charles Lindbergh, who built his house on land nearby acquired from Pryor in a trade for a "large and expensive collection of French mechanical dolls." Pryor's doll collection was world-famous and included 8,000 dolls, some over 3,000 years old. Part of the Pryor estate included a Doll Museum.

The doll collecting came from Sam Pryor Jr.'s travels, said Pryor. "It showed his love of all kinds of people. He liked traveling, meeting people and learning their customs, whether they were Arabs or gypsies, peasants or royalty."....

Gibbon Secret Rests Near Maui Church - International Primate ...

http://www.ippl.org/2006-gibbon-secret.php

Beneath the fertile vegetation an open secret lies buried between the graves of aviator Charles Lindbergh and his friend Sam Pryor, a one-time vice president of Pan American airlines.

How did WIlliam Casey become so close to Greenberg? Were there no lines drawn between who was a businessman and who was an intelligence agent, since the 1930s? Isn't this seamlessness a troubling sign of corporatism?

Edited by Tom Scully

• 3 months later...
Guest Tom Scully

Interesting that the thread was brought back to life the other day because I found the first two posts contained names and ties in common with the info in my post, but none of the posts subsequent to mine seem to relate to the details....the names, ties in common.

The CIA employed people who found the 1967 article in Life as interesting as I did. I had not seen it before I put together and posted my other post here. It is much easier to read at the link to the Life article.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?mode=searchResult&absPageId=1149433

OFFICE OF SECURITY-TILE ON CAIN, RICHARD S pg 16

Found in: HSCA Segregated CIA Collection, Box 40

marketing procedures, the offi cial said "Marketing of what asked Catena "Detergent. Ah detergent! As of that mo ment the A dt P's terror ended Catena appeared briefly before the grand jury

RIF#: 1993.08.02.10:13:58:340060 (0/0/0) CIA#: 80T01357A

http://books.google.com/books?id=T1YEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA104&dq=gerrardo+catena&hl=en&ei=W06kToOyKMKXtwfD1u2dBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sept. 8, 1967 Life Magazine, page 104

June 1964 Gene Catena instructs Joseph Pecora that he does not want North American Chemical to have to pay higher union scale wages.:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?mode=searchResult&absPageId=841952

My observations are that at the least, former SDNY U.S. Attorney (not an assistant in that important post in 1940, but THE U.S. Attorney) was described in the Oct., 1971 congressional committee testimony of Nathan X Sobol of North American Chemical, as offering advice while he was a board member and attorney for A & P to Sobol and D'Almeida, about how to protect themselves and the Catena brothers from being further incriminated in the investigation of the murders of two A & P store managers and the firebombings of a number of A & P stores.:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=Cahill+is+a+personal+friend+of+John+L.+Loeb&btnG=

Effects of organized criminal activity on interstate and foreign ...: Part 1

books.google.comUnited States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Commerce - 1972

....establish the pattern of the evidence that other witnesses are going to follow after you. I say we do appreciate the cooperation of you and your lawyer in answering all these, and it may be that when we get through with this and analyze this, we may have to call you back but we will let you know in due time so that it would be necessary to answer some further questions probably.

Mr. Sobol. All right.

The Chairman. Senator Hartke, do you have anything.

Senator Hartke. No, thank you, Mr. Chairman.

The Chairman. I don't believe we have anything else.

Mr. Gray. Mr. Sobol, did you, on July 30, 1965, send a telegram to the A. & P. Co. stating that: "North American Chemical Corp. hereby withdraws its bid and offer to sell detergents to the A. & P. Tea Co., kindly return all documents, papers, and samples heretofore submitted. Nathan S. Sobol, President." Did you send that telegram ?

Mr. Sobol. Do you have a record that I sent that ?

Mr. Gray. I have a copy that I would like to submit.

Mr. Sobol. What is the date of that ?

Mr. Gray. July 30, 1965.

The Chairman. Where is it from, Paterson, NJ ?

Mr. Gray. To Thomas Dempsey.

Mr. Sobol. I think we were advised to do that.

Mr. Gray. Why ? You were advised by whom ?

Mr. Sobol. I think John T. Cahill told us to withdraw the product.

Mr. Gray. Mr. Cahill advised you ?

Mr. Sobol. Yes, sir.

Mr. Gray. Mr. Cahill was an attorney for the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co.?

Mr. Sobol. That is right.

Mr. Gray. Why was he advising you, was he also your attorney ?

Mr. Sobol. Mr. Cahill is a personal friend of John L. Loeb and if I remember correctly, that when we saw Mr. Cahill, I think it was his advice to just withdraw and I think he told Mr. d'Almeida to let things 4 or 5 months or so, I just don't remember.

Mr. Gray. Whv did they advise him to do that ?

Mr. Sobol. This was in 1965 ?

Mr. Gray. Yes, why ? Did he say why he wanted you to do this?

Mr. Sobol. I just don't remember now. I don't remember what the details were on that.

Mr. Gray. Did this have anything to do with the fact that people at the A. & P. had — did you have a meeting with them at one point when they said something about North American being associated with organized crime?

Mr. Sobol. Yes.

Mr. Gray. And you became very angry about that ?

Mr. Sobol. I think this was after that. ....

http://books.google.com/books?ei=LISiToONKIO2twef5rCKBQ&ct=result&id=vXUFAAAAIAAJ&dq=nostra+%22Louis+D%27Almeida+%22&q=john+t+cahill+chemical#search_anchor

United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Commerce

6273493214_6b0de2b3da_b.jpg

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=bush+%24406%2C000+john+loeb&btnG=

First son: George W. Bush and the Bush family dynasty - Page 189

books.google.comBill Minutaglio - 2001 - 400 pages - Preview

Bush had easily raised $406000, with contributions coming from Scott Pierce of Rye, New York, George W.'s uncle and an ... chairman of I'ennzoil and the elder Bush's old business partner in Zapata; John Loeb, partner in the investment ....

Diplomats' Kin Usher at (Albert Bradley Carter, Jr. and) Barbara Pullman's Wedding Today

Pay-Per-View - Chicago Tribune - Oct 1, 1955

... Thomas Devine of Midland, Tex., Andre Rhe- ault and Henry Cabot. of Bos- ton , and Charles Hubbard. Palmer Dixon of New York City will be best man.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/07/classified/paid-notice-deaths-dixon-palmer.html

New York Times - Sep 7, 1999

He was born July 1, 1928 in New York City, the son of W. Palmer Dixon and ... NBC before becoming a Partner at the Wall Street firm of Loeb, Rhoades & Co.

FINANCIER'S SON, 14, IS KILLED HUNTING

$3.95 - New York Times - Jun 25, 1960

The victim was Jonathan Dixon, son of W. Palmer Dixon of 550 Park Avenue, a partner in Carl M. Loeb, | Rhodes & Co., a Wall Street investment banking firm. ...

W. PALMER DIXON, STOCKBROKER, 66; Partner in Loeb, Rhoades,...

$3.95 - New York Times - Jul 27, 1968

W. Palmer Dixon, a partner in Loeb, Rhoades Co., investment bankers, and a former squash racquets and racquets champion, died Thursday of a heart ailment on ...

PARTNER CHANGES; NEW FIRMS FORMED; Several Admissions Are...

$3.95 - New York Times - Feb 1, 1938

With the admission to general partnership in Carl M. Loeb Co. of Everett Ware Cady, W. Palmer Dixon, James Averell Clark, Henry Parish 2d and A. Raymond

John L. Loeb, Jr. was an usher in the 1959 wedding of Peter T. Dixon.

W. Palmer Dixon was his brother's best man.:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6229/6273606708_e1027de3e7_b.jpg

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0DE3DD1031F93AA35751C1A9629C8B63#h[]

Paid Notice: Deaths

DIXON, PETER THORPE

Published: December 9, 2004

DIXON--Peter Thorpe, an investment banker, died on December 7, 2004, after a long illness. Born in NYC on March 3, 1930 to Palmer and Theodora Dixon, he graduated from St. Mark's School in 1947, Harvard Univ. in 1951, and Harvard Business School in 1953. While at Harvard he was President of the Fly Club. He served four years in the US Navy as a Lieutenant JG on a minesweeper before beginning his business career at Loeb, Rhoades & Co. as an analyst. After Loeb, Rhoades became part of Shearson Lehman Bros., Mr. Dixon continued there as a Sr. Vice President. In the 1990's he was a Sr. Exec. VP of Loeb Partners Corp. ....

6273641322_15b41a225b_b.jpg

Jack Ruby committed a different crime than Oswald was accused of committing. At least from 1961 the Loeb sponsored Louis D'Almeida is an executive at Nort American Chemical, and soon one the most powerful Mafia team, the brothers Catena who control the Teamster's union in New Jersey and receive $150,000 per month in Las Vegas casino skimmed "revenue", join the Loebs in pushing A & P to sell NAC's detergent product.

Here is North American Chemical's chairman, brother of Nathan X Sobol.:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=bush+%24406%2C000+john+loeb&btnG=#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&tbs=ar:1&tbm=nws&source=hp&q=Dr.+Saul+O.+Sobol%2C++bank+englewood&psj=1&oq=Dr.+Saul+O.+Sobol%2C++bank+englewood&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=8558l8558l2l10277l1l1l0l0l0l0l240l240l2-1l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=cf763e873c139099&biw=1320&bih=655

INQUIRY ON CRIME TOLD OF BOMBINGS; 2 Policemen Link...

$3.95 - New York Times - Oct 8, 1971

Nathan Sobol's brother Dr. Saul Sobol, was chairman! of the board of directors of the ... the bank loaned $40000I to the Englewood Country Club.fl The club, .according to Inspec,! tor Willis, was "frequented by many, many known members of the crime families.

Witnesses Link Mafia To Suspects .

Palm Beach Post - Oct 8, 1971

... that Dr. Saul Sobol, chairman of the Chemical Corporation's board of directors, had arranged a loan to the Englewood NJ Country Club from a bank of ...

Firm, Mob Linked To Firebombings .‎ St. Petersburg Times

Devine, Bush, Ed Hooker, all met with DeMohrenschildt an were acquainted with him to varying degrees, Bush knew George Kitchel quite well, Devine was an usher in the wedding of CIA agent Carter, a man who considered Palmer Dixon to be his best friend. The Wall Street firm the Dixon brothers and their father were so closely aligned to, was founded and controlled by a family doing all it could in support of D'Almeida and his products which the Catena brothers will murdering and burning to promote sales of, and victim A & P's director/attorney was busy advising the mafia chemical company on how to hide the evidence of its contact with A & P. These persons of interest did not set about leaving a trail of bread crumbs for us to follow, but in studying them, isn't it best to be more thorough and less dismissive?

Why were these wealthy and powerful people taking these risks, and doing it so openly? How many coincidences happen before there are too many? The Catenas were at the top of the northeast LCN chain, why were Paul Warburg's stepson D'Almeida and the Loebs willing to get so close, so publicly? Did they have a choice? Cahill's behavior when exposed, seemed to defy explanation, but by then he was deceased for five years.

Do the following details, when considered with the details in my earlier post, quoted above, combine to speak for themselves, saying, Yes! It is what it looks like, highly organized and allied crime families, or is a narrative needed to knit together the confluence of these former bootleggers?

http://federal-circuits.vlex.com/vid/reinfeld-bronfman-37620790

James Rutkin, Plaintiff-Respondent, v. Joseph Reinfeld, Samuel Bronfman and Allen Bronfman, Individually, and as Co-Partners Doing Business Under the Style and Name of Bronfman Interests and Browne-Vintners Co., Inc., Renfield Importers, Ltd., and Harold C. (Sonny) Levin, Also Known as Harold C. Renfield, Defendants-Appellants., 229 F.2d 248 (2nd Cir. 1956)

.....The 1948 Complaint and the 1951 Supplemental Complaint

On July 1, 1948 Rutkin filed his complaint invoking federal jurisdiction because of citizenship diverse from the defendants therein named, Joseph Reinfeld; Samuel, Abraham, Harry and Allen Bronfman; and Distillers Corporation Seagrams, Ltd. The complaint made these allegations: Rutkin and Reinfeld had been partners prior to May 1931 and had equal shares in a plan to purchase and operate L. L. & B. Distillers, Ltd., a distillery in Ontario, Canada. Reinfeld commenced negotiations with L. L. & B. to finance and purchase a controlling interest and on July 2, 1931 he agreed for the partnership to invest $500,000, including the purchase of a first and second mortgage on the distillery. He purchased the first mortgage and made payments on the second mortgage. On the next day Reinfeld conspired with Samuel and Allen Bronfman to enrich himself and them and to deprive Rutkin of his share of the profits. To induce Reinfeld to break his agreement with L. L. & B. the Bronfmans gave Reinfeld stock of Distillers-Seagrams and "other emoluments" and all agreed to keep this secret from Rutkin. This was of benefit to the Bronfmans because L. L. & B. was in competition with the Bronfman company, Distillers-Seagrams. The distillery was sold on the second mortgage foreclosure; the stock which Reinfeld had acquired was sold to a Bronfman nominee; and Reinfeld was to be indemnified against any loss or expense.

Reinfeld advised Rutkin that the partnership interest in L. L. & B. had been sold to the Bronfmans for the amount the partnership had paid for it and that it had been done in good faith. Reinfeld thus falsely represented the situation to Rutkin to prevent his inquiry so that the fraud was not discovered until May 27, 1946. Rutkin, never having received his share of the benefits from Reinfeld, asked $22,000,000 damages.

The supplemental complaint, filed November 13, 1951, joined Browne-Vintners Co., Inc., Renfield Importers, Ltd., and Harold C. Levin, also known as Harold C. Renfield, as additional defendants. It alleged that: Rutkin and Reinfeld as partners owned a majority interest in Reinfeld's name and in the names of dummies in the Browne-Vintners Co., Inc., a New York corporation in existence from 1933 until 1940 (referred to as Browne-Vintners Old). The defendants agreed in December 1940 that Reinfeld would cause the business and assets of Browne-Vintners Old, including the Cointreau, Piper Heidsieck and Remy Martin agencies which it held, to be sold to Distillers-Seagrams for an inadequate price, and the proceeds of the sale were distributed to the stockholders of Browne-Vintners. Reinfeld received secret emoluments which the defendants fraudulently concealed from the plaintiff. Rutkin did not discover until after July 1, 1948 that the Cointreau, Piper Heidsieck and Remy Martin agencies had been transferred to Renfield Importers, Ltd. of New York which was controlled by Reinfeld and defendant Harold C. Renfield, and Rutkin did not receive his share of these benefits. This transfer of the agencies was without Rutkin's knowledge and it was part of the consideration to Reinfeld for his 1931 double-dealing on the L. L. & B. transaction. Reinfeld concealed from Rutkin the extent of Rutkin's interest in Browne-Vintners Old and fraudulently caused Rutkin to execute a general release as a result of which certain payments were made to Rutkin.

Further allegations that the defendants caused Rutkin's conviction for violation of the federal income tax laws, Rutkin v. United States, 1952, 343 U.S. 130, 72 S.Ct. 571, 96 L.Ed. 833 are not pertinent here as they were dismissed by the trial judge....

http://www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg07875.html

...In 1916 Sam and Harry moved back east and opened a retail liquor

outlet in Montreal. The duo are also reported to have started up a

chain of "little hotels": according to Bronfman parter James

Rutkin, "they sleep very fast. They rent them quite a few times

a night."...

http://www.onewal.com/kef/kef2.html

Kefauver Committee

Interim Report #2

Feb. 28, 1951

....LOSERS CASH MILLIONS IN CHECKS

The returns from the gambling casinos are equally fantastic. One Max Stark was the check cashier for the mob operating the gambling casinos in north Jersey. He would bring into the Merchants Bank of New York City, a small private bank in which he was a shareholder, 60 to 70 checks daily; resulting from this gambling operation. These were checks cashed at the gambling casino and most of the money was undoubtedly used for gambling. Over a space of about 6 months, these checks totaled $5,000.000. Admitted gambling house operators testified that a player seldom cashed a check in a gambling house unless he had lost and was trying for a "came-back."

Some confirmation of the large sums wagered and won or lost in these establishments is had from the testimony of one witness who said he lost about $14,000 on four occasions. He stated that from 200 to 300 people were present on these occasions and there might be as much as $2,000 on the crap table at any one time.

The amounts reported to the income tax authorities for these gambling casinos are, of course, considerably less than what might be expected from these figures. Nevertheless, they are still substantial.

For example, the G. & R. Trading Corp. ran a gambling operation in northern New Jersey in the year 1945-46. Gross receipts were shown on the tax return of this corporation of $488,698 and a net of $255,271 which was divided between the following underworld characters as follows:

James Rutkin..............................$51,054

Anthony Guarini.......................... $38,200

Joe Adonis................................$76,581

Jerry Catena............................. $51,054

Salvatore Moretti........................ $38,290

Similar sums are reported from the operation of other gambling casinos. For example, the Club Boheme in Broward County, Fla., in 1947 paid $205,470 to its owners, among whom was Meyer Lansky, according to the tax returns. The Greenacres Club paid $133,233 to W. H. Bischoff in 1948 for a 40-percent interest. Some idea of what the returns from a gambling casino may be when it is operated in a legalized setting is had from testimony of Clifford Jones, Lieutenant Governor of Nevada, who testified that his 1-percent interest in the Golden Nugget at Las Vegas netted him $12,000 a year.

http://www.onewal.com/kef/kef3b.html

THIRD INTERIM REPORT

OF THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE

TO INVESTIGATE ORGANIZED CRIME

IN INTERSTATE COMMERCE

MAY 1 (legislative day, APRIL 17), 1951.

…..According to grand-jury testimony, Moretti called Costello 130 times in 5 months ending in 1943. When Moretti became ill, began to have hallucinations and talk too much, Costello admitted he might have suggested a friend that he go away. That Moretti called him "Chief" when he telephoned, was nothing, Costello said; they called each other that. But the committee had no record of any calls in which Costello called Moretti "Chief." In one conversation, Costello reported to a friend, "I will keep him out there at least a month more." When Moretti's brother Solly called to say Willie wanted to come home to take his wife to a doctor, Costello replied that he had to stay out there. Costello called a doctor to ask him to telephone Moretti in California and see what he thought of his conversation and let him know.

Meyer Lansky had an interest in the Beverly Club when it first opened; his brother Jack was a partner of Costello’s in the Louisiana Mint Co. in New Orleans and in the Piping Rock Casino in Saratoga Springs. Before the committee in Washington, Longie Zwillman confirmed Costello's testimony that they know each other very well. Costello admitted that Jerry Catena, another Nov Jersey gambler associate of Moretti, had been with him in New Orleans and Habana on a visit. Joe Adonis, Costello stated, was a very good friend of his. "Socks" Lanza, another notorious New York racketeer, had visited his home. Costello had told a 1943 grand jury that Lucky Luciano was an acquaintance. He admitted to the committee that he knew Luciano very well. He went with Luciano's attorney, Mr. Polakoff, and with Meyer Lansky to see him off, on the day of his deportation in 1946. Another witness, George White, narcotics agent stated that in their company at the time was Albert Anastasia. Costello also admitted that he saw Luciano about a year later in Havana.

His out-of-town acquaintanceship and relations with gangsters and racketeers was equally extensive. Costello maintained that he did not know that Carlos Marcello, one of the worst criminals in the country, was in the Beverly Club partnership until after the club opened. The articles of incorporation of this club, however, showed that Marcello was not only one of the incorporators but was also the registered agent for the club. Kastel himself, as Costello finally admitted, had a criminal record for stock fraud. Bugsy Siegel, Costello said, he knew from New York. He knew the two Fischettis, Tony Accardo, and Jacob Guzik, of the Chicago mob but denied any business dealings with them. He knew Tony Gizzo, characterized as the traveling secretary of the Kansas mob, but none of the other members. He had spent time with Arthur Samish of California in Hot Springs; their meetings were by chance. It was just accident that he knew all these people, Costello told the committee. Many of these gangsters and racketeers were in Florida at the same time as Costello last year. Costello denied having seen any of them except Moretti and a New Jersey gangster named Nick Delmore. He denied there was a convention there, and branded as ridiculous the statement that there was a convention in Atlantic City at which the territory for gambling throughout the United States was divided up.

VIII. Costello's influence in politics ….

….In New Jersey, Joseph Reinfeld, a leading liquor distributor, and Abner (Longie") Zwillman owned substantial stock as late as August 1950 in the whisky distilling firm of Browne-Vintners Corp., which they controlled until 1940 when it was sold to Seagrams. Reinfeld, Zwillman and, among others, Jimmy Rutkin, an associate of Zwillman, were notorious bootleggers during prohibition, during which time they were partners in some of Bronfman's operations in Canada. Zwillman and Rutkin now claim that Reinfeld defrauded them in the Browne-Vintners sale and Rutkin is presently suing Reinfeld for $22,000,000. Since 1940, Reinfeld has been unable to obtain a liquor license in New York State, but he has a license in New Jersey. New York State, however, allows his son-in-law to operate and Reinfeld sells all of his imports of certain products to his son-in-law's company in New York. Reinfeld Importers, Ltd., of New Jersey, is the exclusive distributor in 38 States for Gordon's Gin and also is the exclusive importer for Haig and Haig and Piper Heidsick champagne. ….

If the testimony of Nathan Sobol in a 1971 congressional committee inquiry into the serial bombings and murders inflicted on A&P Grocery stores in the New York metro area is credible, it must be coincidental that Sobol signed a ridiculously expensive, do nothing marketing contract with Jerry Catena's brother, Eugene, and that Jerry Catena had been a partner in a gambling enterprise with longtime, Bronfman brothers partner, James Rutkin, and that Ann Loeb married Sam Bronfman's son, and her father and uncle were boosters of Nathan Sobol's V.P. of Advertising at his North American Chemical Corp., Louis D'Almeida, stepson of Paul Warburg and an admitted killer.

Edited by Tom Scully