The Education Forum

IARRB Epilogue

Was Doug Horne Set Up for a Sting - ?

Or what he calls "an elaborate deception operation."

John Costella's review of Doug Horne's Inside the Assassinations Records Review Board takes special interest in, and calls attention to the Epilogue when Costella says: I turned to the first page of Chapter 14 (the only information provided by the Table of Contents), and started scanning forward. Four pages in, I found the following: "In 2009 an elaborate deception operation (explained in the Epilogue) was carried out against me by an intelligence operative who was obviously working for the U.S. government. Its sole purpose was to contaminate and discredit the contents of this book." To this day, I have been unable to figure out which section is this 'Epilogue', nor where Horne describes this intelligence operation. Perhaps it is in there, somewhere.

Since Epilogue means: a short passage added at the end of a literary work, I found it quite readily at the end of Volume V.

Epilogue: The Education of a JFK Researcher p. 1777 - 1796

In October of 2008, advance copies of author Dick Russell's forthcoming book On the Trail of the Assassins began to be circulated by the publisher…an extensive interview with me…was being published as the final chapter…In October, the same month the advance copies were circulated, I was contacted at my work e-mail address by a complete stranger, who professed to be the middle man attempting to set up an interview with me by another assassination researcher whose name and previous books are well known within the research community. Little alarm bells started going off immediately telling me: "be careful." I listed to them – initially. I declined the interview opportunity, since the author (who shall remain un-named) appeared to be wanting to take credit for some of my work, claiming that he had thought up a major hypothesis about forgery in the medical evidence first, 19 years before I did. I wanted no part of such a discussion, internecine warfare within the JFK research community is legendary, and I didn't want to partake in a discussion about who should take credit for originating a key hypothesis about the medical evidence. I figured that such a specious claim would be preposterous and non-credible on its face, and decided to let future readers decide who should get the credit for the two-brain-exam hypothesis. I politely declined, and grew even more cautions of the middle man.

But the middle-man eventually won me over, with his unabashedly gregarious personality, his sense of humor, his extensive knowledge of the JFK assassination and he research community; and his generosity. He sent me a literal torrent of unsolicited articles, audio recordings, and DVDs about the assassination. He also wanted to know all about my book. Eventually – whether it was wise or not – I shared several key themes of my book with him, thus providing him with several insights about my interpretation of the evidence in the case. One of the reasons I had come to trust him was because he had sent me a thick envelope full of his own unofficial bonafides, literature from the mid-1970s indicating he had been an activist in Mark Land's grass-roots movement called the "Citizens Commission of Inquiry," which had successfully lobbied for a Congressional investigation of the assassination. Grudgingly, and against my better judgment, I had decided to trust him.

Shortly after the new year (2009) commenced, the 'cut-out,' as I came to think of him, began dropping hints that there was someone he really wanted me to meet. I ignored him initially, but he persisted. Eventually he revealed that he had been in contact with what I shall call a 'mystery witness,' someone who claimed he had once participated in a secret investigation of the JFK assassination while working for the U.S. government, and who had some parts of the puzzle that I didn't. The cut-out refused to reveal the name or affiliation of the mystery witness, and finally relented somewhat by telling me he once worked for ONI, the Office of Naval Intelligence. (The cut-out told me that the mystery witness wanted to get his story out, but was very protective of his identity and that this was all he was permitted to tell me.) That was enough for me. Since the cut-out was willing to pay for my plane ticket to go to the city where he and the mystery witness lived, I figured I had nothing to lose. I went, and on March 21, 2009, spent about 10 hours in the living room of the cut-out, listening to the mystery witness and sharing information and perspectives with him, after first meeting him at a restaurant. He would only allow me to take notes.

I had requested initially, through the cut-out, that the mystery witness bring his own bonafides with him: proof that he was who he said he was, and that he had done what he claimed to have done years ago. He didn't bring any such bonafides with him to the meeting, which seriously irritated me, since I had, provided the witness with a copy of my voided ARRB credentials, an old work identification card (that had since expired), as well as with one of the opening of the pages from the ARRB Final Report listing me as one of the senior staff. When I handed the mystery witness a photocopy of my ARRB credentials, he gruffly said to me, "I don't know if I am going to show you my ONI credentials or not," to which I realized I had two ways to respond. I could either terminate the meeting right then and there, or having come all this way to a major Midwestern American city from Washington D.C., I could go along for the ride an simply listen to his tale, while suspending judgment until later. I decided to go along for the ride.

And quite a tale it was. Initially, on March 21, I found the mystery witness quite credible because he exuded the "Navy culture" from every pore of his being; furthermore, he told me a tale that dovetailed nicely with my own interpretation of the evidence. Additionally, the cut-out claimed to have met with him six times prior to March 21, and was absolutely convinced that his story was true. For reasons that I will reveal later in this Epilogue, I later came to distrust the mystery witness, who I decided to refer to as "JFK Deep Throat," and to conclude that he could not possibly be who he said he was. Because Deep Throat turned out not to be who he said he was, everything he told me was, of course, suspect – as were the intentions of the cut-out who paid for the trip, and performed the introduction.

I will recount below the essentials of the tale told by Deep Throat (without initially assessing its credibility), and afterwards, in another section of this chapter, will discuss the critical evaluation of his story that I conducted, and will reveal why I do not believe it to be true. I am withholding the names of the cut-out and Deep Throat for obvious reasons. While I am extremely distrustful today of Deep Throat, I am still undecided about the cut-out; he could be exactly who he said he was – an enthusiastic, self-educated lay researcher of the JFK assassination who was unknowingly used as a pawn to introduce a disinformation agent to an author in a last-ditch attempt to discredit his book – or he, too, could be an intelligence asset, just like Deep Throat) thus explaining his extensive knowledge of, and contacts within, the JFK research community). In any case, the principal focus here should be on Deep Throat, and henceforth it will be.

DEEP THROAT'S ALLEGATIONS

Deep Throat was a 65 year old white male who said he had graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1967, and had immediately afterward obtained a law degree from DePaw. Later in life, after his Navy service, he told me he had obtained an MBA from Loyola. He told me his father had worked for the 0SS and then the CIA, and had been one of the translators at the Nuremberg trials in post-war Germany. The witness said he spoke German very fluently when he was young, just like his father; he also said that just like his father, he had a photographic memory, and that shortly after an event, he could remember documents and conversations verbatim.

Deep Throat told me that after majoring in history and political science at the U.S. Naval Academy, he attended law school for two years and then commenced four years of service on active duty with ONI, from 1969-1973. He said that as a mere 24-year old Navy Lieutenant (0-3) with a brand new law degree, he was detailed by ONI to the Chief White House Counsel for the new President, Charles Colson (of later Watergate infamy), for a special assignment. The special assignment included the investigation of the JFK, RFK and Martin Luther King assassinations. When I asked Deep Throat why the new President, Richard M. Nixon, was so interested in those topics, the witness said, "Nixon was paranoid and was afraid he would be next, and wanted to know how these three political figures were killed, who was responsible, and how the crimes were covered-up." Deep Throat said he wanted to restrict our initial discussion to the JFK assassination, and I readily agreed. I figured that if the witness turned out to be credible, there would be plenty of time later to cover the other two assassinations. Initially, I envisaged a series of several meetings taking place, with ample opportunities for follow-up questions, and in-depth re-examination of various topics that merited additional scrutiny.

Deep Throat said that during the course of his investigation, he was not allowed to use the name Charles Colson with anyone, and had to introduce himself to those he interviewed using the ONI cachet, and the force of his own personality – without ever mentioning the Nixon White House. Consequently, he said he grew "balls" petty quickly and that they "got bigger and bigger" as his investigations proceeded. He said that he was on PCS orders to Germany during the first three years of his four year investigation, and only transferred back to the U.S. during the fourth year, but that he often traveled to the U.S. on TDY orders during the first three years of his investigation. The witness said he had available to him as assets a small staff of highly competent enlisted personnel, and implied that some of them served as couriers for highly-classified, "read and destroy" documents, which he was allowed to read only in a sealed room with no paper or writing utensils present, and had to be shredded afterwards. He said he was always frisked going into the room, and frisked coming out, to ensure he did not take written notes. Deep Throat told me that because of his photographic memory, he could write down with great accuracy the contents of key documents , or recall key conversations verbatim, if he committed them to writing within one or two days of the event, in the evenings, after work. He said he did so during the entire four year period, and still has all of those notes today, locked away in a secure location. (He did not bring any of those purported notes with him to our meeting on March 21, but the cut-out said he had seen some of them previously.) The notes the witness brought with him to the meeting on March 21 were a summary of the points he wished to cover with me, and not the original notes themselves.

Deep Throat told me that at the conclusion of his four-year effort, he produced a 764-page typewritten report for Charles Colson, President Nixon's Chief White House Counsel. (The cut-out told me later that he had once asked the witness if he kept or made a copy of the report for himself, at which time Deep Throat gave him a meaningful and suggestive look, and refused to answer the question.) Deep Throat told me that there is a joint USAF-Navy storage repository for highly classified material in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and that he assumes the report he wrote is still there, along with several other highly classified documents which he either read at the time, or which he has learned of subsequently. The witness told me that a highly classified 40-page ONI report on the JFK assassination medical evidence which he read during his investigation, as well as the now-missing Richard Case Nagell footlocker (red in color) – the one the ARRB could not locate after Nagell's untimely death – are there also.

Deep Throat stated that after his four-year investigation was completed, he indicated his intent to get out of the Navy, and was told that this would not be permitted – that he 'knew too much,' and was staying on active duty, whether he liked it or not. In his opinion at the time, those in authority who were aware of his former activities wanted him under the thumb of the military justice system, and the implied threat of court-martial and military prison, if he did not keep his mouth shut. He said the used his father's influence to get a discharge, and that immediately afterward, for a four years period (from 1973-1977), he was the recipient of open surveillance and harassment, including telephone taps and surreptitious entries into his living quarters while he was away. In his own words, he was "stalked." The witness asked his father to "call in all his chips" with the intelligence community in order to "call off the dogs," which he said his father successfully did. He said he had never discussed his prior investigations with his wife or family, and wanted his story to be revealed now because he was angry about the Posner and Bugliosi books, and the forthcoming miniseries based on the Bugliosi book reportedly being sponsored by actor and producer Tom Hanks. He said he did not want his information to be lost to history when he died, but also said he did not want his identity to be revealed. He also forbade me to refer to his service with ONI, and asked me to simply call him a Naval Officer; he did not want me to use his years of service in the Navy (1969-1973); and forbade me from mentioning Charles Colson or the Nixon White House. He wanted to "have his cake and eat it too," and in the process was making it extremely difficult for me as a writer to relay his account in a persuasive manner. I have struck the appropriate balance, I believe, by withholding his name and the city where he lives. I had to provide the other details in this Epilogue to explain to the reader how seductive his tale was, and why I was initially taken in by his story…..

Edited by William Kelly

Is there more? DT - H

Is there more? DT - H

[/quote

If he is real how hard would it be to find "JFK deep throat"

Ian

''I am withholding the names of the cut-out and Deep Throat ... '' Ask?

''I am withholding the names of the cut-out and Deep Throat ... '' Ask?

Why?

Because the answer is known.

I dunno

This is the most interesting and funny converstaion I've ever had on this Forum Subsection, Ian. Your last post went way over my head. I might get it, but if you're up to it I wonder if you could elaborate?

add: Oh, ok , William. Pity. Anyway it'll appear on the web some time I suppose. I didn't realise you were transcribing the lot. Big job, me hats off to you. (That's a thought. It wouldn't cost much to put a cd in the jacket of a book.)

Edited by John Dolva

Epilogue II - The Jist of it - With Subchapter Headings

Deep Throat Claimed to Have Interviewed Numerous Key Persons Involved With the Assassination and Subsequent Coverup

Deep Throat's list of persons he interviewed over four years was truly impressive, and included: Allen Dulles, Richard Helms, Alexander Haig, Curtis LeMay, Jacqueline Kennedy, William Greer, Roy Kellerman, Clint Hill, Vice Admiral Kenney, Rear Admiral Galloway, Vice Admiral Burkley (who had been retained as Military Physician to the President and promoted by LBJ), CAPT John Stover, James J. Humes, "J" Thorton Boswell, Pierre A. Finck, Dave Powers, and Nellie Connally. He also said he interviewed about 90 Dealey Plaza eyewitnesses during two trips to Dallas, in which he posed as a journalist. Deep Throat told me: "The only two people who told me to xxxx off were J. Edgar Hoover and Lyndon Johnson."

The 40-Page ONI Report

The witness told me he read (and immediately destroyed after reading) a 40-page ONI report which detailed the Navy's role in the autopsy coverup which explained exactly how a part of the coverup was executed. He said it was written by a Navy LCDR whose name started with an "L," and whose name might have been "Logart," or something similar.

The key aspects of the report, he said, were that:

* The Bronze Dallas casket really was empty when Air Force One arrived at Andrews AFB on 11/22/63, just as David Lifton had claimed in his book in 1981, which meant that the public witnessed a charade on national television.

• JFK's body was removed from the Dallas casket at Love Field prior to takeoff and placed aboard Air Force Two.
  • JFK's body was transported back to Andrews onboard Air Force Two, which made a brief stop at an Air Force Base near Kansas City enroute Andrews AFB.
  • During the brief stop at the Air Force Base, JFK's body was taken off the airplane: the chest was x-rayed; and then a bullet was removed from a "space" high in the right chest, through the expanded tracheostomy incision. The bullet removed had been a frontal shot (as indicated by the Parkland physicians), which entered just to the right of the midline of the anterior nick, impacting and damaging the trachea, and lodging in the chest above the right lung. 1.

[Note 1. At the time I heard this part of the tale, I was electrified because this was consistent with the 7 cm bruise found atop the right lung, and on top of the pleural dome, at the autopsy. It was also consistent with the opinion expressed by Dr. Clark of Parkland hospital to the New York Times on Saturday, 11/23/63, that a bullet had ranged downward in the President's chest and did not exit the body. ]

• The bullet removed was an intact rifle bullet, and was subsequently taken to Bethesda with the body.
  • Nothing was done to the head of President Kennedy (i.e., there was no post mortem cranial surgery) at the "Kansas City" location, because time was very limited.
  • The body was transferred by helicopter from AF2 to the grounds of Bethesda and delivered to the morgue in a grey shipping casket.
  • When asked by me during the interview, he confirmed that it was indeed a black ambulance, a hearse, that delivered the shipping casket to the Bethesda morgue. When he asked me to guess who was driving the hearse, I told him "Joe Hagan and Tom Robinson." He confirmed this without providing any details, except to say that he did at one point – he did not say when – interview Tom Robinson.

Deep Throat Claimed to Have Interviewed the Autopsy Pathologists

The mystery witness told me that in confidence, Humes and Boswell had given themselves a grade of "D minus" on their autopsy. At one point he called Pierre Finck a "mouse." He attempted to defend the pathologists by telling me they were instructed not to perform a medico-legal autopsy. He also said they were instructed to hide information related to President Kennedy's incurable NSU (venereal disease) and his Addison's disease. He further stated that Rear Admiral Burkley was present throughout the entire autopsy, and that he spent much of his time that evening upstairs in the VIP suite on the 17 floor of the Bethesda complex. When I challenged him on this, saying that there were many witnesses in the morgue to Burkley's interference with the autopsy and his attempts to limit its scope, Deep Throat's response was that Burkley had "kicked-off the coverup," but had then handed it off to Rear Admiral Galloway when he went upstairs. At one point he called CAPT Stover, the Commanding Officer of the Medical School at Bethesda (who was so feared b the enlisted men present at the autopsy), "an asshole."

Additional Subchapters:

Deep Throat's Explosive Claims About the Dave Powers Film

Deep Throat's Claims About Dealey Plaza Witnesses

Deep Throat Claimed to Have Interviewed Jackie Kennedy

Deep Throat Confirmed That Bethesda Audio-Visual Supervisor William Bruce Pitzer Was Murdered

More About the 40-Page ONI Report

Deep Throat's Comments About Curtis LeMay

Deep Throat's Opinions About the Structure of the Plot

Deep Throat Makes A Revealing Comment About ONI

My Immediate Assessments the Day of the Interview

DEEP THROAT IS EXPOSED AS A FRAUD

The Time-Distance Equation makes A Diversion of Air Force Two to a Base Near Kansas City Virtually Impossible

The Air Base Near Kansas City Is Identified

The Air Force Two Passenger List

Flight Times: The Numbers Don't Lie

Deep Throat Does Not Appear in the Naval Academy Yearbooks for 1964-1967

A Private Detective Verifies That Deep Throat Is An Imposter

THE REAL 'NUTCUTTER'

Why It Was Done

Edited by William Kelly

Because it was included in the book it seems to get it out there is an answer to why.