The Education Forum

The Vaccination Certificate

The JVB in Exile thread has taken on a life of its own and is getting too bizzarre to follow. So I'm starting this thread with the hopes that we can actually follow the evidence to whereever it goes. And I'm trying to find a link to the actual card and get the CE number.

Prof. Fetzer suggests it could be used to gain access to a hospital. Here's what the Warren Report had to say about it, and a few other Hidell related docs. Also note the WR makes no mention of the US Public Service Hosptial.

BK

I am unaware of a FAKE VACCINE CARD OF LHO SIGNED BY DR. HIDELL. What is the CE number? Can anyone post an image of it? I have never seen it.

Jack

QUOTE (Todd W. Vaughan @ Apr 26 2010, 01:11 PM) http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...&pid=190889

Bill,

My understanding is that LHO needed the vaccine card (which was a fake of his own making in all likely hood) to get a passport.

Todd

BK notes: Todd, I don't doubt it was of his own making. But even the WC Report refers to the "counterfeiter" as if it were someone other than Oswald

The Vaccination Certificate

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo/app10.htm - p20

A government-printed form entitled "International Certificates of Vaccination or Revaccination against Smallpox" was found among Oswald's belongings at his room at 1026 Beckley Avenue, Dallas. The form purported to certify that "LEE OSWALD" had been vaccinated against smallpox on "JUNE 8, 1963" by "DR. A. J. HIDELL, P. O. BOX 30016, NEW ORLEANS, LA." The card was signed "Lee H. Oswald" and "A. J. Hidell," and the name and address "Lee H. Oswald, New Orleans, La." were hand printed on the front of the card. All of this material, except the signatures and the hand printing, had been stamped onto the card. The Hidell name and address consisted of a three-line stamp"DR. A. J. HIDELL/P. O. BOX 30016/NEW ORLEANS, LA." A circular, stamped, illegible impression resembling a seal appeared under a column entitled "Approved stamp."

On the basis of a comparison with the standards, Cole identified all of the handwriting on the vaccination certificate, including the signature "A. J. Hidell," as the writing of Lee Harvey Oswald. Cadigan identified all of the writing as Oswald's except for the "A. J. Hidell" signature, which in his opinion was too distorted to either identify or nonidentify as Oswald's handwriting. The stamped material on the certificate was compared with a rubber stamping kit which belonged to Oswald. In this kit was a rubber stamp with three lines of print assembled: "L. H. OSWALD/4907 MAGAZINE ST/NEW ORLEANS, LA." Cole found a perfect agreement in measurement and design between the letters stamped on the certificate and the letters he examined from Oswald's rubber stamping kit. However, he was unable to determine whether the characteristics of Oswald's rubber stamping kit were distinctive, and therefore, while he concluded that Oswald's rubber stamping kit could have made the rubber stamp impressions on the certificate, he was unable to say that it was the only kit which could have made the impressions. On the basis of the comparison between the words "NEW ORLEANS, LA." set up in the rubber stamp in Oswald's kit, and the words "NEW ORLEANS, LA." on the certificate, Cadigan concluded that these words had been stamped on the certificate with Oswald's rubber stamp. However, he could draw no conclusion as to the remaining stamped material, which was not directly comparable to the remaining lines set up on Oswald's rubber stamp.

On close examination, the circular impression resembling a seal consisted of the words "BRUSH IN CAN," printed in reverse. Apparently, the impression was made with the top of a container of solvent or cleaning fluid which bore these words in raised lettering. In the center of the impression was a mottled pattern which was similar to the blank areas on a date stamp found in Oswald's rubber stamping kit.

The Fair Play for Cuba Committee Card

The Fair Play for Cuba Committee card had two signatures: "L. H. Oswald" and "A. J. Hidell." Based on the standards, both Cole and Cadigan identified "L. H. Oswald" as the signature of Lee Harvey Oswald, but both were unable to identify the "A. J. Hidell" signature. Cadigan noted differences between the Hidell signature and Oswald's handwriting, indicating the possibility that someone other than Oswald had authored the signature. Cole believed that the signature was somewhat beyond Oswald's abilities as a penman. On the basis of a short English interlinear translation written by Marina Oswald, Cole felt that she might have been the author of the signature, but the translation did not present enough of her handwriting to make possible a positive identification. In subsequent testimony before the Commission, Marina stated that she was indeed the author of the Hidell signature on the card. Cadigan confirmed this testimony by obtaining further samples of Marina Oswald's handwriting and comparing these samples with the signature on the card.

The Hidell Notice of Classification

Face side. The face of the Hidell notice of classification was produced from the face of the Oswald notice of classification by a two-step process. First, the counterfeiter photographed the Oswald notice, making a basic intermediate negative. He then opaqued out of this intermediate negative all of the information typed or handwritten onto the Oswald notice, including the name "Lee Harvey Oswald," the selective service No., "41-114-39-532," the signature of the official of the local board, and the mailing date. In addition, he made another intermediate negative of the lowermost third of the Oswald notice, which contained a printed legend setting forth various instructions relating to draft board procedures. This negative reproduced the printed material exactly, but reduced it in size. The two intermediate negatives were combined to produce a third negative, substantially identical to the basic intermediate negative except that, by virtue of the reduction in the size of the printed legend, a square space had been created in the lower left-hand corner. The counterfeiter then made a photographic print of this third negative, which contained blanks wherever typed or handwritten material had appeared on the original Oswald notice and a new space in the lower left-hand corner.

Finally new material was inserted into the blanks on the Hidell notice where typed or handwritten material had appeared on the Oswald notice. Thus the name "ALEK JAMES HIDELL," the selective service No. "42-224-39-532," and the mailing date "Feb. 5, 1962," were typed into the appropriate blanks on the Hidell notice. Two typewriters were used in this typing, as shown by differences in the design of the typed figure "4," and by differences in the strength of the typed impression. Probably the counterfeiter switched typewriters when he discovered that the ribbon of his first typewriter was not inked heavily enough to leave a clear impression (a problem which would have been aggravated by the fact that the glossy photographic paper used to make the Hidell notice did not provide a good surface for typewriting). The face of the notice also bore many unlinked indentations, which could only be made out under strong side lighting. These indentations were apparently made with the typewriter set at stencilthat is, set so that the typewriter key struck the notice directly, rather than striking it through the inked typewriter ribbon. This may have been done as a dry-run practice, to enable the counterfeiter to determine how to properly center and align the inserted material. A sidelight photograph showed that the names "ALEK," "JAMES," . and "HIDELL" had each been typed in stencil at least twice before being typed in with the ribbon. A capital letter "O" had been stenciled prior to one of the stenciled "ALEK's." A serial number and a date of mailing had also been typed in stencil.

In addition to the typed material, a signature, "Alek J. Hidell," was written in ink in the blank provided for the registrant's signature, and another, somewhat illegible signature, apparently reading "Good Hoffer," was written in ink in the blank provided for the signature of an official of the local board. This name differed from the name written in ink on the Oswald notice, which appeared to consist of a first name beginning with an "E" or a "G" and the surname "Schiffen." However, the legibility of the name on the Oswald notice was also quite poor, and the counterfeiter might have been attempting to duplicate it. A possible reason for deleting the original name and substituting another is that if the name had not been deleted it would have been reproduced on the Hidell notice as a photographic reproduction, which would look less authentic than a pen-and-ink signature.

Based on a comparison with the handwriting in the standards, the signature "Alek J. Hidell" on the Hidell notice was identified as being in the handwriting of Lee Harvey Oswald. The signature "Good Hoffer" could not be positively identified, being almost illegible; however, it was not inconsistent with Oswald's handwriting.

To complete the face of the Hidell notice a picture of Lee Harvey Oswald was inserted into the space in the lower left-hand corner which had been created by reducing the size of the printed legend at the bottom.

In creating the face of the Hidell notice, the counterfeiter left traces which enabled the experts to link together the Hidell notice, the retouched negatives, and the Oswald notice. To retouch the negatives the counterfeiter simply painted a red opaque substance on one side of the negative over the material he wished to delete. When the negative was printed, the opaquing prevented light from passing through, so that the print showed blanks wherever the negative had been opaqued. However, the original material was still clearly visible on the negative itself. In addition, at several points the typed or handwritten material in the Oswald notice had overlapped the printed material. For example, the signature of the official of the local board overlapped the letters "re" in the printed word "President," "l" and "a" in the printed word "local," and "viola" in the printed word "violation." When this signature was opaqued out, the portions of the printed material which had been overlapped by the signature were either removed or mutilated. The consequent distortions were apparent on both the retouched negative and the Hidell notice itself. Similarly, the selective service number typed on the Oswald notice overlapped the margins of the boxes into which it was typed. Although the counterfeiter opaqued out the numerals themselves, the margins of the boxes remained thickened at the points where they had been overlapped by the numerals. These thickened margins were apparent on both the retouched negative and the Hidell notice.

Reverse side. The reverse side of the Hidell notice, which was pasted back-to-back to the face, was actually a form of the reverse side of a Selective Service System registration certificate. Essentially, it was counterfeited the same way as the face of the notice: a photograph was made of the reverse side of the Oswald registration certificate, the material which had been typed or stamped on the Oswald registration certificate was opaqued out of the resulting negative, and a photographic print was made from the retouched negative. This is shown by the negative, in which the opaqued-out information is still visible, and by defects in the printed material on the Hidell notice at point where typed-in material had overlapped printed material on the Oswald registration certificate.

As the final step, new information was typed on the print in the blanks which resulted from the retouching operation. Thus "GR" was substituted for "Blue" under color of eyes; "BROWN" was substituted for "Brn" under color of hair; "FAIR" was substituted for "Med." under complexion; "5" [ft. ] "9" [in. ] was substituted for "5" [ft. ] "11" [in. ] under height; and "155" was substituted for "150" under weight. The name and address of the local board on the Oswald registration certificate were opaqued out, but substantially the same name and address were typed back onto the Hidell notice. As in the signature of the local board official on the face of the notice, a possible reason for deleting the original draft board name and the address and substituting substantially similar material in its place is that if the original material had not been deleted it would have reproduced as a photographic reproduction, which would look much less authentic than typed-in material.

A limited number of typed uninked indentations are also present. Thus the indented letters "CT" appear before the letter "GR" (under color of eyes) and the indented letters "EY" follow "GR." An indented "9" appears above the visible "9" for the inch figure of height, and an indented "i" appears before the weight, "155." Much of the typed material on the reverse side of the Hidell notice was not very legible under ordinary lighting, since it was typed with a typewriter which left a very weakly inked impression. In fact, it is difficult to tell whether some of the material, particularly the word "Brown" under color of hair, was put in by stencil or by ribbon.

Edited by William Kelly

I do not know what a certificate of smallpox vaccination has to do with JVB.

It is a stretch to speculate that this document was necessary to gain access to a hospital.

Jack

The JVB in Exile thread has taken on a life of its own and is getting too bizzarre to follow. So I'm starting this thread with the hopes that we can actually follow the evidence to whereever it goes. And I'm trying to find a link to the actual card and get the CE number.

Prof. Fetzer suggests it could be used to gain access to a hospital. Here's what the Warren Report had to say about it, and a few other Hidell related docs. Also note the WR makes no mention of the US Public Service Hosptial.

BK

I am unaware of a FAKE VACCINE CARD OF LHO SIGNED BY DR. HIDELL. What is the CE number? Can anyone post an image of it? I have never seen it.

Jack

QUOTE (Todd W. Vaughan @ Apr 26 2010, 01:11 PM) http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...&pid=190889

Bill,

My understanding is that LHO needed the vaccine card (which was a fake of his own making in all likely hood) to get a passport.

Todd

Hi Bill

Good idea on the new thread.

The vaccination card is CE813 Volume XVII

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...Vol17_0360a.htm

CE3136 talks about the rubber stamp kit that was used to fake part of the address on the card.

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...H26_CE_3136.pdf

If Todd Vaughan is right and he needed this to get a Passport I can't help but wonder why if he had had his smallpox vaccination he couldn't just get another card. He obviously would have needed the same information when he got his first passport so what did he do then?

If he hadn't received a smallpox vaccination wouldn't it have been easier to get vaccinated? Unless, that is, LHO knew something sinister about vaccinations?

Also, the card doesn't show DR A.J. HIDELL as per the Warren Report write up. It clearly says DR. A.J. HIDEEL.

Cheers

Lee

EDITED: Added in links and question asked

Jack,

Since the vaccination card has nothing to do with JVB I started a new thread on it, and hope we can leave her out of it.

I don't think anyone has posted a picture of the card itself or a link to it.

So far no one has made any allegations about it, and my question is what was it for?

Why did Oswald or the counterfeiter go to such trouble to make such a card?

I believe it mentions The US Public Service Hosptial where Oswald had checked for maternity services and where the now notorious but then secret particle accellerator was located that suposidely killed Dr. Mary Sherman on the day the Warren Commission lawyers came to New Oreleans.

Also mentioned on the card is Dr. Hidell, the alias used to order the rifle said to have been the weapon that killed JFK.

So far it has been suggested that it could have been used to gain entrance to a hospital and was possibly necesary to get a passport, and I considered it may be necessary to get a visa to Mexico, though that is only speculation on my part.

In any case, those who maintain Oswald was a lone nut say that he things for no reason, while those who recognize the use of aliases, post office boxes, fake identifications, codes, ciphers and foreign languages are the traits of a covert operative.

Like the Dubai 27, whose false identifies did them in, perhaps there's more to be uncovered behind this Hidell business.

What was it all about?

And if there really was a logical reason behind it, we should be able to figure it out.

And don't say he did it to order the rifle and pistol because he could have bought a rifle and pistol in any department store in texas or Louisiana without any records at all.

If Jack White hasn't heard about it, perphas this is a previously uninvestigated line of inquiry that deserves more attention.

For starters, does the June 8, 1963 date on the card have any significance?

BK

Very interesting questions posed.

________

Was a smallpox vaccination a standard thing for all countries?

Re the stamp: From an account posted some time ago re drop guns, a coke bottle base was often used by Louisiana police for various forms, so the practice in itself was not odd, knowing it's acceptance probably was not also unknown in ''the street'' milieu.

Lee's passport application has no reference to vaccinations so I doubt proof of vaccinations was needed for a passport. Visa's are a different matter but I don't know what the deal was in 1963 concerning travel to different countries from the U.S. I have seen photos from the 1960's of people getting checked for their smallpox scars at airports:

Passport application:

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...WH17_CE_781.pdf

Strangely, Lee spell's his own mothers name completely wrong on the above application form.

The date of June 8th on the vaccination card coincides with Marina being turned down treatment at the New Orleans Charity Hospital. The P.O. Box on the vaccination card is 30016 rather than 30061. The Warren Commission tell us that P.O. Box 30061 was opened on June 3rd 1963, when in fact the post office box opening slip is stamped June 11th:

P.O. Box Assignment

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...WH17_CE_817.pdf

Are there any other documents or letters that have P.O. Box 30061 on them prior to June 11th?

Bill, I've looked all over the card and I don't see anything on either the front or back of the card that refers to any specific hospital.

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I was thinking of a card, not the certificate, but a small, wallet sized card with similar information on it. Still looking for it.

Didn't Garrision say something about the 30061 being a code for a phone number or something?

BK

There are reports that the Dallas Police found "vaccination card" in Oswald's wallet, while the Vaccination Certificate was found in Mrs. Paine's garage. I thought the card was small, like an ID card.

Now I find that Oswald attended Farragut Jr. HS in the Bronx where Dr. Salk also went to school.

http://blog.loveleefamily.net/?p=84

...the ancient (19th century) halls of Junior High School 44 which had taken the name of David Farragut, America's first Rear Admiral and a hero of both the War of 1812 (having enlisted at the age of 12!) and the Civil War. Those of us in the Bronx didn't know much about New Orleans, so the tales of David Farragut were my first introduction to that exotic place. Much to the chagrin of the school, its most famous graduate was Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassin of President of John F. Kennedy. Most of us who lived through that event recall exactly where we were at the moment we heard the news. I was in JHS 44's Wood Shop when the announcement came over the school speaker. I think we went home early that day, although I don't recall that clearly. Some time later I noticed that one of the names carved into a desk where I sat was Lee Oswald. It may have been the prank of one of my contemporaries, who knows.

If I remember correctly, the school had two graduates more worthy of recall. Dr. Jonas Salk, the inventor of the Polio vaccine, and Hank Greenberg, a rare example of a Jewish major league baseball player.

Update on the Politics of SV40

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eVZHgornbm0J:spitfirelist.com/for-the-record/ftr-316-update-on-the-politics-of-sv40/+Oswald+vaccination+card&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=news

Posted by FTR July 29, 2001

This broadcast higlights articles from the mainstream press that reinforce the remarkable research done by Ed Haslam, the author of the vitally important recent book

Mary, Ferrie and the Monkey Virus: The Story of an Underground Medical Labratory.

....24. In the section of his book, Mr. Haslam highlights another intriguing detail about the contion between the JFK assassnation and the investigation into the SV40/cancer connection. " 'The Warren Commission Volumes. The FBI went to the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital on 11/25/63 looking for evidence of either Lee Harvey Oswald or A.J. Hidell. They went back a second time on 11/26.' The FBI was looking for Oswald at the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital! I could hardly believe my ears. 'Why?' 'According to the Dallas Police, Oswald had a vaccination card issued to him by the U.S. Public Health Service on 6/8/63, when he lived at

4907 Magzine Street in New Orleans. It was issued to Lee Harvey Oswald, signed by Dr. A.J. Hidell. The FBI reports are in Volume 19. I'll send you the citations.' Had Lee Harvey Oswald been on the grounds of the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital at the time the linear particle accellerator was there? Take a look at this map. [Dr. Ochsner's house, Oswald's apartment, Children's Hospital, the Infecttious Disease Laboratory Building and the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital are within a 1-mile radius of one another.]" (Ibid.; p.127.).....

Edited by William Kelly

Lee's passport application has no reference to vaccinations so I doubt proof of vaccinations was needed for a passport. Visa's are a different matter but I don't know what the deal was in 1963 concerning travel to different countries from the U.S. I have seen photos from the 1960's of people getting checked for their smallpox scars at airports:

Passport application:

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...WH17_CE_781.pdf

Strangely, Lee spell's his own mothers name completely wrong on the above application form.

The date of June 8th on the vaccination card coincides with Marina being turned down treatment at the New Orleans Charity Hospital. The P.O. Box on the vaccination card is 30016 rather than 30061. The Warren Commission tell us that P.O. Box 30061 was opened on June 3rd 1963, when in fact the post office box opening slip is stamped June 11th:

P.O. Box Assignment

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...WH17_CE_817.pdf

Are there any other documents or letters that have P.O. Box 30061 on them prior to June 11th?

Bill, I've looked all over the card and I don't see anything on either the front or back of the card that refers to any specific hospital.

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I was thinking of a card, not the certificate, but a small, wallet sized card with similar information on it. Still looking for it.

Didn't Garrision say something about the 30061 being a code for a phone number or something?

BK

Hi Bill

I've looked everywhere for a wallet sized card. No joy. It's not in the exhibits and it's not in the DPD files. Just the certificate I'm afraid.

I believe Garrison was looking into Lee Odum's post-office box that was found written in Clay Shaw's notebook and also LHO's: P.O. Box 19016. He ended up doing all kinds of code-breaking on it and thought he came up with Jack Ruby's telephone number.

Lee

I know Lee, I looked for a card too.

As for the Garrison code of phone number, I think that originated with one Jones Harris, one of the most bizzarre "researchers" on the planet, the Truman Capote of JFK researchers.

BK