The Education Forum

A question about Ferrie

Does anyone have any reference to Ferrie flying Helicopters? Im still tracking down that Ohio lead. Thanks a bunch guys for your help!

Mike

i have heard referances to ferrie flying helicopters but have never really checked it out i think he did tho

Does anyone have any reference to Ferrie flying Helicopters? Im still tracking down that Ohio lead. Thanks a bunch guys for your help!

Mike

i have heard referances to ferrie flying helicopters but have never really checked it out i think he did tho

Thanks Jerry,

I lack knowledge on Ferrie to be honest. I know he was a plane pilot, but was curious about helos as well.

Mike

Mike

Thanks Jerry,

I lack knowledge on Ferrie to be honest. I know he was a plane pilot, but was curious about helos as well.

Mike

I am currently writing a book on the Garrison investigation, and I have done a thorough search of all the records regarding David Ferrie, and there is no evidence whatsoever that Ferrie flew helicopters, and also, I interviewed many Ferrie friends / associates, and none of them could confirm that Ferrie even knew how to fly a helicopter. If you turn up anything at all, please do let me know, however, I do believe that your search will lead to nothing.

Mitchell Warriner

Mike

Thanks Jerry,

Mike

I am currently writing a book on the Garrison investigation, and I have done a thorough search of all the records regarding David Ferrie, and there is no evidence whatsoever that Ferrie flew helicopters, and also, I interviewed many Ferrie friends / associates, and none of them could confirm that Ferrie even knew how to fly a helicopter. If you turn up anything at all, please do let me know, however, I do believe that your search will lead to nothing.

Mitchell Warriner

Mitchell,

I surely will keep you in the loop. Feel free to contact me at Mike@JFKBallistics.com if I can ever be of service.

A pleasure to meet you and thank you for the information.

Mike

Mike

Mitchell Warriner

Hi Mitchell,

it sounds like you were specifally looking for evidence of Ferrie flying choppers? If that is correct, are you able to divulge why?

Mike

I haven't run across it in my study of Ferrie. I can say that his FAA records give no indication that he was qualified to fly helicopters.

BTW, Mitchell: We need to gab about Ferrie a bit.

Mike

I haven't run across it in my study of Ferrie. I can say that his FAA records give no indication that he was qualified to fly helicopters.

Indeed, you Ferrie guys should get together.

There was a guy from Morgan City who was involved in anti-Castro operations who did fly a helicopter whose name I believe was Leroy Young.

BK

Mike

Indeed, you Ferrie guys should get together.

There was a guy from Morgan City who was involved in anti-Castro operations who did fly a helicopter whose name I believe was Leroy Young.

BK

BK this might be EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks and thanks to all for the info and time to reply!

Best,

Mike

Mike

Mitchell Warriner

Hi Mitchell,

it sounds like you were specifally looking for evidence of Ferrie flying choppers? If that is correct, are you able to divulge why?

I specifically asked about it because I had heard through other people or books that he had apparently flew helicopters, so I asked about it with people that knew Ferrie, and kept my eye out for it when going through documents at the National Archives.

Mike

I would be very willing to discuss ferrie with you. My book "The Consequence of Truth: A Study into the Jim Garrison Investigation and the Trial of Clay Shaw" is near its completion, and I go into David Ferrie at length, so if there is any information that I can add, I would be more than happy to learn and discuss Ferrie. He was an interesting man.

Ferrie allegedly flew Larry DeJoseph in a chopper to survey an area that was being looked at for a training facility in Lousiana. That came from a SOF mixed up in anti-Castro business at the time.

DeJoseph was an employee of Trafficante's in Havana. He also mixed with Frank Fiorini and Gerry Hemming during the early 1960s. The photo attached shows Ferrie and deJoseph.

JK

Edited by John Kelly

Mike

Mitchell Warriner

Hi Mitchell,

I specifically asked about it because I had heard through other people or books that he had apparently flew helicopters, so I asked about it with people that knew Ferrie, and kept my eye out for it when going through documents at the National Archives.

Thanks Mitchell.

Ferrie allegedly flew Larry DeJoseph in a chopper to survey an area that was being looked at for a training facility in Lousiana. That came from a SOF mixed up in anti-Castro business at the time.

DeJoseph was an employee of Trafficante's in Havana. He also mixed with Frank Fiorini and Gerry Hemming during the early 1960s. The photo attached shows Ferrie and deJoseph.

JK

That is one of the stories I heard. Where did this originate? Do you have a source? And also, thanks for sharing that picture of Ferrie. This photograph I don't believe I have seen before. Great post.

JK

I am a bit uncertain about this photograph. When first posted a few years ago, it was represented as showing Ferrie with Larry DeJoseph in 1963. I had an exchange with another EF poster about it (not sure if it was Larry or James, can't find the emails), and as I recall (correct me if I'm not remembering it accurately), it came down to it "looking like" DeJoseph. I get a bit leery of making definitive identifications from photos.

But my biggest concern is the photo itself: This appears to come from the Billings collection at Georgetown, and it seems to match a series of photos taken of Ferrie at Lakefront Airport in December 1966 by Lynn Pelham of Life Magazine. (During that photo shoot, Ferrie was interacting with flight students). Further, the braided cap Ferrie wears appears in other photos taken in 1966-7, but does not appear in any photos (I have found) prior to 1966.

So I'm not sure this was 1963, or that it was DeJoseph (who, incidentally, does not seem to show up on the radar in any other documents I found or interviews I've done.)

Edit: The photo did not copy to my reply. It can be seen above in post #12.

Edited by Stephen Roy