The Education Forum

HARRY J. DEAN

I'd like to hear what Harry has to say about the two threads going on Larry Howard and Hall.

I know you used to pal around with those guys Harry,

BK

All, including Howard and Hall are dead, but I made sure they read

what I wrote in the 1990 manuscript/book while they yet lived.

As always, they who read it, never commented.

I was no longer fearful of whatever reaction might come from their

direction.

I'd especially like for John Simkin to convice Swearingen to join the forum and make a statement in support of his books and answer some questions, but like other authors of books who have been here before, most don't stick around if they're asked a difficult question they would prefer not to address. But Swaringen looks like he could be convinced to come by, at least to meet everybody, and see how it goes - but I think he would be intimidated by people like me and Ernie, for different reasons.

I don't think Swearingen is a clean whistle blower, but only became one after he had another problem with the agency, though I'm just speculating here - but unlike Bill Turner and Henry Wade and Guy Bannister, whose portraits of the agency are interesting, Swearingen was a stand up guy for the FBI until something happened, and then he saw the light. I don't know what that thing was, but I suspect it. In any case, I hope Swearingen is convinced to drop by and answer a few questions for us, and promise that I won't ask him what it was like to work in a headquarters named after a crossdressing pervert, and maybe Ernie can refrase a few questions that don't intimidate him to be a xxxx just because he is contradicted by some other 20 year veteran Special Agents of the FBI whose pensions and reputations were also on the line.

What do you say Ernie, can we call a truce and try to get Swearingen to come aboard and answer some questions, or do you just want to intimidate him, since I suspect you are pals with the agents who contradict Swearingen's story?

Bill Kelly

I'm for Swearingen, but I'm also for anyone who can add any experience, criticism, or investigation of the Bureau in its last two decades. I recently read Top Secret, and it's tempting to generalize some attitudes and institutional behaviors over to these decades...but it's also sometimes like being The Men Who Stare at Goats. Need modern FBI coverage to bridge the years between Watergate and 9/11. Assassination purists might see it otherwise.

Edited by David Andrews