The Education Forum

Groden arrested in Dealey Plaza

from blogs.dallasobserver.com

Get Off My Lawn

City Hall Blames Dealey Plaza Arrest On Sixth Floor. Can You Guess Who Sixth Floor Blames?

By Jim Schutze

Jul. 14 2011

​Just for the sake of historical accuracy, I would like to point out that the city of Dallas has claimed in court filings that the Sixth Floor Museum was behind the June 10, 2010, arrest and incarceration of Kennedy assassination author Robert Groden, who is charged with illegally selling literature in Dealey Plaza.

And just for the sake of even more historical accuracy, I would like to remind you of a statement given to me by Sixth Floor director Nicola Longford and included in an Observer cover story published back in April. I'd asked Longford to talk to me about why the museum got Groden arrested. She told me, in a frosty email: "Concerning the city of Dallas and activities in Dealey Plaza, we are not party to the matters you have referenced, and it would thus be improper for us to comment."

Au contraire, it would appear. Not only was the Sixth Floor a party to the arrest of Groden, it was the host of the party, according to papers filed June 16 in Groden's federal lawsuit against the city.

Groden does a brisk weekend trade in books, magazines and CDs, which he sells to tourists from a folding table in the old pergola at the west end of Dealey Plaza, where President John Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963. But last year, Groden was arrested by city police officers for selling without a license in a city park. That arrest was tossed by two criminal courts after Groden's lawyers demonstrated that the city doesn't even offer licenses to sell in parks, and Dealey Plaza isn't a park, anyway.

Groden is suing the city in federal court, arguing that his arrest came as the culmination of years of persecution in violation of his civil rights.

But why?

Full article: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/07/city_hall_blames_dealey_plaza.php

By Jim Schutz

July 14, 2011

http://blogs.dallaso...ealey_plaza.php

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, I would like to pointout that the city of Dallas has claimed in court filings that the Sixth Floor Museum was behind the June 10, 2010, arrest and incarceration of Kennedy assassinationauthor Robert Groden, who is charged with illegally sellingliterature in Dealey Plaza.

And just for the sake of even more historical accuracy, Iwould like to remind you of a statement given to me by Sixth Floor directorNicola Longford and included in anObserver cover story publishedback in April. I'd asked Longford to talk to me about why the museum got Grodenarrested. She told me, in a frosty email: "Concerning the city of Dallas and activities in Dealey Plaza, we are notparty to the matters you have referenced, and it would thus be improper for usto comment."

Au contraire, it would appear. Not only wasthe Sixth Floor a party to the arrest of Groden, it was the host of the party,according to papers filed June 16 in Groden's federal lawsuit against the city.

Groden does a brisk weekend trade inbooks, magazines and CDs, which he sells to tourists from a folding table inthe old pergola at the west end of Dealey Plaza, where President John Kennedywas assassinated on November 22, 1963. But last year, Groden was arrested bycity police officers for selling without a license in a city park. That arrest wastossed by two criminal courts after Groden's lawyers demonstrated that the citydoesn't even offerlicenses tosell in parks, and Dealey Plaza isn't a park, anyway.

Groden is suing thecity in federal court, arguing that his arrest came as the culmination of yearsof persecution in violation of his civil rights.

But why?

​Groden, a conspiracy theorist, has a fairly conspiratorial caseto make: that the city wants tourists to hear only the Sixth Floor theory(Oswald did it) and not his own (more people were in on it). Other vendors whowork the weekend crowds at Dealey Plaza offer a simpler story: that the SixthFloor is all fancy-schmancy and best-foot-forward and doesn't want a bunch ofrag-tag conspiracy guys junking up the landscape.

And while Longford,the Sixth Floor's gal, told me that the museum had nothing to do with Groden'sarrest (before shutting down our brief interview), half the city's defenseappears to be that that the Sixth Floor made them do it.

Court records showthat police arrested Groden because a security guard working for the SixthFloor "had observed Groden sell some merchandise from his parkedvehicle." Police made the arrest after the guard, who worked for a companyhired by the museum, "explained that he was a security guard and that suchcommercial activity was not permitted there."

Interesting source to rely on in making an arrest. Just amonth before, police had accused an employee of the same security company,Platinum Security and Consulting, of trying to steal a safe from the SixthFloor. And the day after Groden's arrest, Tanya Eiserer in The Dallas Morning News had what we in the news business call<a href="http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20100613-Sixth-Floor-Museum-s-security-firm-322.ece" target="_blank"> a real good story pointing out that Platinum hadrecently paid a $10,000 fine for using 140 unlicensed guards, some withcriminal histories.

But, sure. If we're the cops and we have to decide whether to arrest aprominent author for selling books and CDs in a public place, let's askProfessor Platinum. He works for the Sixth Floor Museum, after all.

Still, the citywon't cry "Uncle!" in Groden's federal suit. They admit they don'treally have licenses for selling in parks, but they say they could totally havesome if they wanted to. They admit that Dealey Plaza isn'treally a designated park, but they say it totally should be. And, anyway, theSixth Floor started it.

Not the strongestcase. So what does the city have going for itself? An entire wing of City Hallfilled with lawyers. That's what they have. That and a great deal of patience.Plus, when the suit finally does settle and that big cash register rings in thesky, guess who will will be paying Mr. Groden?

That bell tolls forthee, my fellow taxpayer. It tolls for thee.

Edited by William Kelly

By Jim Schutz

July 14, 2011

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/07/city_hall_blames_dealey_plaza.php

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, I would like to pointout that the city of Dallas has claimed in court filings that the Sixth Floor Museum was behind the June 10, 2010, arrest and incarceration of Kennedy assassinationauthor Robert Groden, who is charged with illegally sellingliterature in Dealey Plaza.

And just for the sake of even more historical accuracy, Iwould like to remind you of a statement given to me by Sixth Floor directorNicola Longford and included in an Observer cover story publishedback in April. I'd asked Longford to talk to me about why the museum got Grodenarrested. She told me, in a frosty email: "Concerning the city of Dallas and activities in Dealey Plaza, we are notparty to the matters you have referenced, and it would thus be improper for usto comment."

Au contraire, it would appear. Not only wasthe Sixth Floor a party to the arrest of Groden, it was the host of the party,according to papers filed June 16 in Groden's federal lawsuit against the city.

Groden does a brisk weekend trade inbooks, magazines and CDs, which he sells to tourists from a folding table inthe old pergola at the west end of Dealey Plaza, where President John Kennedywas assassinated on November 22, 1963. But last year, Groden was arrested bycity police officers for selling without a license in a city park. That arrest wastossed by two criminal courts after Groden's lawyers demonstrated that the citydoesn't even offerlicenses tosell in parks, and Dealey Plaza isn't a park, anyway.

Groden is suing thecity in federal court, arguing that his arrest came as the culmination of yearsof persecution in violation of his civil rights.

But why?

​Groden, a conspiracy theorist, has a fairly conspiratorial caseto make: that the city wants tourists to hear only the Sixth Floor theory(Oswald did it) and not his own (more people were in on it). Other vendors whowork the weekend crowds at Dealey Plaza offer a simpler story: that the SixthFloor is all fancy-schmancy and best-foot-forward and doesn't want a bunch ofrag-tag conspiracy guys junking up the landscape.

And while Longford,the Sixth Floor's gal, told me that the museum had nothing to do with Groden'sarrest (before shutting down our brief interview), half the city's defenseappears to be that that the Sixth Floor made them do it.

Court records showthat police arrested Groden because a security guard working for the SixthFloor "had observed Groden sell some merchandise from his parkedvehicle." Police made the arrest after the guard, who worked for a companyhired by the museum, "explained that he was a security guard and that suchcommercial activity was not permitted there."

Interesting source to rely on in making an arrest. Just amonth before, police had accused an employee of the same security company,Platinum Security and Consulting, of trying to steal a safe from the SixthFloor. And the day after Groden's arrest, Tanya Eiserer in The Dallas Morning News had what we in the news business call<a href="http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20100613-Sixth-Floor-Museum-s-security-firm-322.ece" target="_blank"> a real good story pointing out that Platinum hadrecently paid a $10,000 fine for using 140 unlicensed guards, some withcriminal histories.

But, sure. If we're the cops and we have to decide whether to arrest aprominent author for selling books and CDs in a public place, let's askProfessor Platinum. He works for the Sixth Floor Museum, after all.

Still, the citywon't cry "Uncle!" in Groden's federal suit. They admit they don'treally have licenses for selling in parks, but they say they could totally havesome if they wanted to. They admit that Dealey Plaza isn'treally a designated park, but they say it totally should be. And, anyway, theSixth Floor started it.

Not the strongestcase. So what does the city have going for itself? An entire wing of City Hallfilled with lawyers. That's what they have. That and a great deal of patience.Plus, when the suit finally does settle and that big cash register rings in thesky, guess who will will be paying Mr. Groden?

That bell tolls forthee, my fellow taxpayer. It tolls for thee.

Guest Robert Morrow

Robert Groden has been saying for years that those fascists in the management of the Sixth Floor Museum were behind his harassment and false arrests by Dallas police. Of course he was right. The Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, with its formal policy of pushing the lone nutter fantasy, is raping history every day in front of thousands of tourists per year.

By the way, I was literally present for Robert Groden's arrest on Sunday 6/13/10 (I think the article says June10th; I seem to remembert it being Sunday 13th). I was in town as a delegate to the Texas state Republican convention.

In fact, Robert Groden was not the only person arrested that day. I seem to remember the police arresting someone else in the parking lot just behind the pergola. I do remember the surly attitude of the Dallas police that day. They also did not seem to be the "top cops," - hard to describe they just did not seem to be at the top of the police force food chain.

I explained to some of the cops after the arrest that they were arresting a national hero - the man who got the Zapruder Film Groden howed first to a national audience on TV in 1975 in the Geraldo Rivera show. I told them to go home and watch it on YouTube and then thank Robert Groden for being able to see that incredibly valuable piece of history.

Isn't it a shame that the Sixth Floor Museum, which purports to present history, is such a ratty, discredited organization? People want to know WHO killed and WHY was John Kennedy killed, not be fed some slop of lies dished out by Lyndon Johnson, J. Edgar Hoover, Allen Dulles and the Warren Commission farce.

People can google "LBJ-CIA Assassination of JFK" for my take on the 1963 Coup d'Etat.

I do think it is very important for JFK assassination researchers to take the tour of the Sixth Floor Museum (currently an overprice $13.50 last time I checked), if only to laugh at or spit on the lone nutter propaganda they will be presented with up there.

My dealings with Nicola Langford is that she was very uncooperative with me when I asked for something as simple as who were the board of directors of the Sixth Floor Museum. I had to ask her this simple question, which she is legally bound to answer, 3 or 4 times by voicemail and email. So, obviously this flack Nicola Langford is not ready for primetime in running a museum with such potential to be important.

Edited by Robert Morrow

• 3 months later...

From the dallasobserver.com blog

Get Off My Lawn

The Dallas Way to Honor John F. Kennedy in November 2013: Silence Pesky Free Speech

By Jim Schutze

Oct. 31 2011

​Dear John F. Kennedy Library Foundation:

Good move on blowing off the Sixth Floor Museum and executive director Nicola Longford regarding her plans for a 50th anniversary commemoration of the Kennedy assassination in Dealey Plaza.

Believe me: You don't want to touch this gang with a 10-foot pole.

According to a story in this morning's Dallas Morning News, Longford and her assassination museum "are planning to take over commemoration activities" at Dealey Plaza in 2013. Their avowed aim, The News says, is to

"avoid the carnival atmosphere that has often prevailed at previous anniversaries on the plaza."

Yeah. Let me tell you about that. There will be a hearing in federal court this Friday on another attempt to avoid a carnival atmosphere in Dealey Plaza -- that attempt being the city's decades-long goon-style campaign

of intimidation against best-selling author Robert Groden. Groden has been hauled into court 81 times by his own count, including at least one tough session in jail, for the offense of selling books and tapes and speaking

his mind about the assassination in Dealey Plaza.

More than 80 times the city has attempted to shut down Groden's exercise of free speech in Dealey Plaza. They have been tossed out of court by their own municipal judges every single time. Groden finally decided to sue

in order in preserve the right of free speech and assembly for himself and all people in this very important place, a national landmark.

​In The News story today, Longford is quoted as saying, "We have reserved Dealey Plaza for that date [November 22, 2013]. I think, for the 50th anniversary, we have an opportunity to offer a dignified, appropriate event for the city of Dallas."

So, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation: I ask you to think about this. What does that mean, "take over?" How do you "take over" a national landmark with the avowed aim of controlling speech there?

Full story: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/10/the_dallas_way_to_honor_jfk_si.php

Edited by Michael Hogan

Will somebody who subscribes to the DMN please cut and paste this article here so we can all read it?

It says that the Sixth Floor museum has obtained a permit for the plaza for 2013 and will only have a moment of silence.

I think it is noteworthy that Penn Jones was the person who started holding a moment of silence at the scene of the crime on the anniversary,

and that the tradition has been carried on by COPA members for the past decade or so.

And thanks for the head up Michael.

BK

Dallas’ JFK museum to oversee Dealey Plaza events for 50th anniversary of assassination | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Thanks to Tom Blackwell for passing this on. - BK

By DAVID FLICK Staff Writer dflick@dallasnews.com

Published: 30 October 2011 11:38 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/downtown-dallas/headlines/20111030-dallas-jfk-museum-to-oversee-dealey-plaza-events-for-50th-anniversary-of-assassination.ece

For the past fewmonths, officials at the adjacent Sixth Floor Museum have been quietly at work,trying to ensure that what those cameras capture won’t embarrass the city.

For one thing, theyhave been conducting a campaign to raise $2.2 million to complete therestoration of Dealey Plaza in time for the 50th anniversary of PresidentJohn F. Kennedy’s assassination.

And to avoid thecarnival atmosphere that has often prevailed at previous anniversaries on theplaza, museum officials are planning to take over commemoration activitiesthere.

“We have reserved Dealey Plaza for that date,” said Nicola Longford, the museum’s executive director. “I think, forthe 50th anniversary, we have an opportunity to offer a dignified, appropriateevent for the city of Dallas.”

That has not alwaysbeen the case.

Many people assumethe annual gatherings at the plaza — which have attracted hundreds and, in someyears, thousands of spectators — have had some official sanction. But themuseum’s decision actually reverses a hands-off policy by both the museum andthe city of Dallas thathas lasted decades.

Only once before,when the plaza was dedicated as a National Historic Landmark district in 1993,has there been an official ceremony commemorating the assassination.

Museum and cityofficials have said in the past that by avoiding such events, they werehonoring the Kennedy family’s wishes that the anniversary receive no officialrecognition in Dallas.

In theorganizational vacuum that resulted, ordinary people who came to the plaza toquietly honor the slain president found activities there often dominated byconspiracy theorists, performance artists and assorted publicity-seekers.

Critics chargedthat on what should be a solemn day, a circus atmosphere has sometimesprevailed on the plaza.

“I don’t think weknow yet what will take place. It may be simply a moment of silence,” Longfordsaid of the 50th anniversary commemoration. “It will absolutely not be afestival. It will be a dignified and appropriate commemoration.”

Museum officialshave been working with some of the city’s cultural institutions to helpcommemorate the event, but Longford said such talks were in the early stagesand declined to elaborate.

She said museumofficials contacted the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, chaired byKennedy’s daughter, Caroline, about the decision to conduct an officialcommemoration in Dealey Plaza.

Longford declinedto characterize the reaction, but added, “I don’t think the Kennedy family haschanged their stand.”

In response to arequest for comment by The Dallas Morning News, a foundation spokesman emaileda brief statement that officials of the Kennedy Presidential Library andKennedy Library Foundation were still in the early stages of planning, “but howothers choose to mark the anniversary will be up to them.”

Among thosesupporting the museum’s takeover of the ceremonies — perhaps surprisingly — isDebra Conway, president of JFKLancer, the organization that for most of the pasttwo decades has held the speaking permit for the plaza on the anniversary.

“I’m kind of glad,”she said of the museum’s plans. “I don’t think a lot of those things that havehappened will happen when the museum takes over. I think they’ll have aceremony that won’t get out of hand.”

Conway describes her Southlake-based organization asa clearinghouse for information on the JFK assassination and other topics.

She acknowledgesthat representatives affiliated with her group have used the commemorations toespouse conspiracy theories. But she said the comments were respectful, and sheblamed any inappropriate behavior on other participants.

Despite havingreserved the plaza, she said, her group has had no power to enforce who speaks.

“We’ve tried tostop them and they ignore us,” she said.

Museum officialsare hoping that the fundraising drive to upgrade Dealey Plaza will also help project a better image of thecity.

“When theybroadcast from the plaza, we don’t want Dallas to be embarrassed by what they see in thebackground,” Longford said.

The work wasenvisioned as the second phase in the restoration of the plaza, which hasdeteriorated over the decades. The $500,000 to complete the first phase camefrom a 2003 bond issue.

Phase I restoredthe fountains and peristyles along Houston Street, the most visible part of the plaza. Thepartial restoration may have worked too well, according to Willis Winters,assistant director of capital projects for the Dallas Park and Recreation Department.

“Phase II was neverincluded in the 2006 bond program, probably because what we did in 2003 lookedso good,” he said.

The city haspledged to kick in $750,000 for the second phase, which will improve paving,lighting, irrigation and signs, and — in the most visible change — will restorethe pergolas on top of the grassy knoll.

Phillip Jones, CEOof the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau, said JFK assassinationanniversaries have always posed a challenge to people trying to draw visitorsto the region.

The assassinationis among the darkest days in the city’s history. On the other hand, there is nodoubting that Dealey Plaza is a major tourist draw.

“I think it’s abalancing act,” he said. “I think the Sixth Floor Museum can celebrate the life of the president, butwe’ll have to be very selective on how we promote it.”

The 50thanniversary will also mark a kind of watershed, he said. After five decades,the death of President John F. Kennedy is passing from being a personal memoryto becoming a purely historical event.

“One of the thingswe need to do is to educate the younger generation,” Jones said. “I think itallows us to position ourselves as a new city, very different from what it was 50 years ago.

“There’s anopportunity there we haven’t had in a while.”

WHAT’S NEXT? Honoring JFK

Over the next twoyears, the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza will:

•Oversee a $2.2million campaign to finish the restoration of Dealey Plaza.

•Plan details ofthe 50th anniversary commemoration on Nov. 22, 2013.

•Discuss theparticipation of major Dallas cultural institutions.

Other efforts

•Officials at Love Field, where Lyndon Johnson was sworn in as presidentaboard Air Force One, are planning to have a historical panel about the eventerected by spring 2013.

•A memorial gardenhonoring President John F. Kennedy is planned for the new Parkland Memorial Hospital, opening in 2014 or early 2015.

SOURCES: Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, City of Dallas Office of Aviation; Parkland Foundation

Regards, TOM BLACKWELL, PO Box 25403, Dallas, Texas 75225

http://DemocraticResearch.Org