The Education Forum

Thanks John Simkin

samey in austria/europe---bandwidth limit exceeded.

KK

That is true. The problem is that we do not know why our bandwidth limit was exceeded. I pay a lot of money to make sure we have plenty of bandwidth. The last time this happened was because we suffered a "denial of service" attack.

Two things occurred to me when I saw the message. DOS attack and imagery perhaps the poss of viewing videos through the forum instead of having to go to link. I've often felt that these , if attacks, occur as a result of someone posting something that's significant to the attacker.

Shouldn't logs tell the spource if attack?

It probably doesn't help when people quote a post, and the quote also replicates the image. Just a guess, though. (Evan Burton, #7)

Maybe in some cases the thing to do is to just copy the relevant section of a post in bold, then add the author and post number, as above.

Edited by David Andrews

I probably didn't really explain myself clearly, Andrew. Using the quote function is fine - it's just you should delete the image in the quote.

Andrew, do you have any other ideas about how we could reduce our bandwidth usage without compromising on the utility of the Forum? We've established the Photobucket site that members can use but I don't know if that reduces bandwidth.

Other members - any ideas?

I probably didn't really explain myself clearly, Andrew. Using the quote function is fine - it's just you should delete the image in the quote.

Andrew, do you have any other ideas about how we could reduce our bandwidth usage without compromising on the utility of the Forum? We've established the Photobucket site that members can use but I don't know if that reduces bandwidth.

Other members - any ideas?

Andy Walker tells me that the problem was probably caused by a Finnish IP. It has now been denied access to the Forum. The problem is caused by software that repeatedly asks for pages on the Forum. The volume of this automated system creates such a demand that it uses up bandwidth so fast that it eventually brings down the forum. The only solution to the problem is for one of the administrators to ban the offendeding IP.