The Education Forum

JFK shooters, Underhill assassin, Lady Clare

The Quintessence of Quick  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that fictional treatment of elements of the JFK assassination is worthwhile?

• Yes, if entertaining and done with credible, responsible style
    • No, not interested
  2. 2. If Yes to #1, of DeLillo's Libra and Mailer's Oswald's Tale, which do you prefer?

My newly-released novel, The Quintessence of Quick, looks closely at several aspects of the assassination and its impact on several of the characters. Since a great deal of what we do on the Forum must be classified as informed speculation, I cordially invite the membership to enjoy my addition to the category of outright invention. As you might imagine, I believe that well-executed fiction can and will inspire new research. When time permits, please vote in the poll and take a look at The Quintessence of Quick.

Edited by Stan Hayes

Stand up for Libra, which is CT-friendly, presents useful speculative insights into small aspects of Oswald's character (apart from the book's own assassination theory), and is an important contributor to making CT reputable and discussable.

Libra is also a stylistically perfect novel, one of the best novels of its time. This is a rich piece of writing that I hope will be remembered in literary opinion.

Edited by David Andrews

I completely agree, David. DeLillo's magnum opus, Underworld, inspired me to begin my first novel, The Rough English Equivalent, which was published in 2002. It introduces, among other things, a character who'll terminate one squad of JFK shooters flying out of Dallas. The Sixties were notable for all manner of bizarre activity, political assassinations, of course, at the top of the list. I offered Mailer's book as Libra's diametric opposite because I was curious to see what opinions Forum members would have of it. In Quintessence, I portray Underhill's killer carrying out a model hit for the still-unsolved murder of LCDR Bruce Pitzer, who's thought by some to have been at Walter Reed to photograph the pre-Bethesda modification of JFK's body. It's a stretch to imagine that these killings will ever be solved, but I hope at least to generate some new interest in the tragic deaths of these two men, both of whom were quite accomplished in their chosen fields.

Stand up for Libra, which is CT-friendly, presents useful speculative insights into small aspects of Oswald's character (apart from the book's own assassination theory), and is an important contributor to making CT reputable and discussable.

Libra is also a stylistically perfect novel, one of the best novels of its time. This is a rich piece of writing that I hope will be remembered in literary opinion.