The Education Forum

Australian Federal election

Evan Burton

I only just found out that L Tanner was retiring. He'd already announced it before the election. (spent a lot of time around Melbourne some 20+ years ago. Some things seem to make more sense now).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The Coalition has done away with the niceties in a last-ditch effort to take office,...'

http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2010/09/03/3002314.htm

Personally, Evan I lean towards monday/tuesday. What do you think?

The potential is to go longer.

Overall polling shows a pretty solid support for a Labor minority government. I've spent a fair bit chatting with various people on the whole thing, people from many stations in life. I've yet to come across one who is prepared to express any support for an Abbott government, while many from business managers to the low end of town who come out firmly for a stable Labor rule.

Abbott has shown what he is made of and most seem pretty disgusted.

Oakshott is taking the lead in working out how to appear to credibly support a Coalition government. Crook is an opportunistic fence sitter who, in spite of this posturing, will, in fact, side with the Coalition.

Katter and Windsor appear to be more concerned about the outcome and therefore in the final analysis may come out with more credibility. However, I think the decision has been made and it's merely a matter of formulating a response that on surface will seek to legitimise a government contrary to the wishes of the Australian public.

It looks like all along the unpopular Coalition will indeed get the go from the ''king makers''.

This period has been merely a show so that they can retain some measure of credibility for that desiscion which they made early on in order to gain maximum personal advantage for future events.

The stalling has been nothing but about finding such a way.

Australians voted overwhelmingly against an Abbott government and these three look set to betray us.

Like a shop assistant, angry at the fact that these three individuals can determine the outcome, said to me the other day : ''What election?''.

I think they'll find out when their time comes.

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

What it was always about : the 'out' for the ''king makers'' finally revealed ( very timely):

''The Gillard government's proposed mining tax faces an $8 billion shortfall in revenue, according to a confidential report, The Australian newspaper says.

The report estimates the mineral resources rent tax will raise about $2.5 billion in its first two years, compared with the $10 billion the government forecast, the newspaper said on Tuesday. (today)

The report, by global resources intelligence firm Intierra, has not been released.

It estimates fewer than 50 companies will pay the tax.

It also highlights concerns among miners (iow: Super profit Mining Companies, mainly Coal in Oz) that in order to raise the projected $10.5 billion, a Labor-Greens government would raise the tax or expand it..''

Well, afaiac the fat lady has sung, and we have three years of a Coalition which will ravage Australia

edit typos

Edited by John Dolva

The BS continues : ''Tony Windsor has given a press conference outside Parliament House and says all three independents want to make a decision today. He says he still doesn't know what the final decision of the other two is. And Mr Windsor hasn't even told his wife what his decision is, saying "she can't be trusted".''

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/

radio live now : Katter has washed his hands and keeps making the point : ''it's not my deciscion'', it's the other two...coming out as expected in support of the Coalition.

The other two will follow in a couple of hours.

Humbug

edit add : declares unswerving support of mining companies, basically given that Oakeshotts certain Coalition support leaves Windsor in a comfortable position to support the Coalition contrary to somes expectations, continuing to hammer stability.

edit typo

edit add : the spin continues... The final deciscion to be announced in about 30 minutes.

Edited by John Dolva

Windsor : LABOR, ie Coalition can NOT form Government!

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

Oakeshott : LABOR

I cannot ever fully express my delight about my misjudgement of these independents. biggrin.gif

GO GILLARD! YES!

( Labor 76 - Coalition 74 )

Thank you, Rob and Tony.

You have shown an immense integrity.

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

edit add

http://www.abc.net.a...s/federal/2010/

Edited by John Dolva