The Education Forum

New book will posit Oswald acted alone AND JFK had it coming

Vince Palamara

From Gerald Blaine's The Kennedy Detail website/ blog (with my comments in brackets in CAPS):

"For the first time [MANY OF THE AGENTS SPOKE TO WILLIAM MANCHESTER, THE HSCA, AND VINCE PALAMARA], the true story of the events leading up to and following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, from the perspective of the Secret Service agents who were there.

The Kennedy Detail

JFKs Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence

By Gerald Blaine with Lisa McCubbin

Foreword by Clint Hill [!!!!!!!!!]

Where were you at 12:30pm on November 22, 1963? A single question that unifies all Americans who were alive at the time, its significance is greater still for the thirty-four Secret Service agents who were on President Kennedys detail when he was assassinated.

In THE KENNEDY DETAIL: JFKS Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence (Gallery Books; November 2, 2010; $28.00), Jerry Blaine one of those thirty-four men sets history straight on what really happened that afternoon, as well as in the months leading up to and following the assassination. Written along with award-winning journalist Lisa McCubbin, this account includes contributions from most of the Secret Service agents who were on the Kennedy Detail, and draws upon their daily reports, expense accounts, personal notes, and verbal first-hand accounts. A close-knit brotherhood of agents who collectively suppressed the trauma of that day, the writing of this book has helped heal the wounds of failure and guilt that they have lived with for nearly fifty years.

Clint Hill, the agent who jumped on the back of the car in the midst of the shooting and pushed Jackie down into the back seat, has not contributed to any books on the assassination, until now [OH, HAVE WE FORGOTTEN WILLIAM MANCHESTER'S MASSIVE BEST SELLER? HOW ABOUT THE WARREN REPORT-HILL TESTIFIED TO ARLEN SPECTER]. As Hill writes in the Foreword, I dont talk to anybody about that day [???? HE HAS SPOKE AT LENGTH FOR THREE DIFFERENT SECRET SERVICE TV DOCUMENTARIES (ALSO AVAILABLE ON VHS AND/ OR DVD), SEVERAL TIMES TO CBS/ "60 MINUTES", AND ON LARRY KING LIVE, AS WELL]…It is only because of my complete faith and trust that Jerry Blaine would tell our story with dignity and unwavering honesty that I agreed to be involved. [THE REASON THIS BOOK WAS WRITTEN: I SENT CLINT HILL A 22-PAGE LETTER IN JUNE OF 2005 THAT PISSED HIM OFF. HE IS VERY GOOD FRIENDS WITH GERALD BLAINE. AS EVEN BLAINE ADMITTED TO A COLORADO NEWSPAPERS ON 5/23/10, "Beginning about five years ago, Blaine began contacting all he could of the 38 agents who were in the Kennedy Detail..."]

While THE KENNEDY DETAIL adds another volume to one of the most prolifically discussed aspects of our countrys history between the conspiracy theories and countless revisionist histories it is the only [???] authoritative account of the events of that day from the men, like Clint Hill, who were there to guard the presidents life [TECHNICALLY, HE WAS ASSIGNED TO JACKIE]. With access to information from this privy vantage point, Blaine and McCubbin are able to disclose a variety of behind-the-scenes stories related to the assassination. Specific points of discussion include:

· The never-before-published story of how Blaine came within a split second of shooting President Lyndon B. Johnson just hours after JFKs assassination [iNTERESTING]

· What happened the day prior to the assassination when a Fort Worth hotel refused to register an African-American Secret Service Agent [THAT AGENT WAS ROBERT R FAISON]

· Details of a never-before-revealed meeting the morning of JFKs funeral, in which Secret Service Chief James Rowley ordered the agents to keep quiet about an important fact relating to the assassination [HMMMMMMM...]

· Circumstances that led Jacqueline Kennedy to accompany her husband on the political trip to Texas [iNTERESTING]

· Details surrounded JFKs November 18, 1963 trip to Tampa and how the events there contributed to the activities in Dallas four days later [THIS IS GOING TO BE THE WHOLE "JFK-ORDERED-US-OFF-THE-CAR"/ IVY LEAGUE CHARLATANS/ MANCHESTER" MYTHOLOGY. THIS HAS BEEN DEBUNKED BY ASAIC FLOYD BORING, WHO TOLD ME THIS WAS NOT TRUE AND THAT HE NEVER SPOKE TO MANCHESTER, AS WELL AS SAIC GERALD BEHN AND A GAGGLE OF OTHER AGENTS AND WHITE HOUSE AIDES, INCLUDING DAVE POWERS. THE DEATH BLOW TO THE TAMPA TALE COMES FROM CONGRESSMAN SAM GIBBONS, WHO RODE IN THE LIMO WITH JFK ON 11/18/63: I rode with Kennedy every time he rode. I heard no such order. As I remember it the agents rode on the rear bumper all the way. Kennedy was very happy during his visit to Tampa. Sam Gibbons." ALSO, from MY BOOK: Gerald S. Blaine, WHD (on Texas trip but not the Dallas stop): Blaine told the author on February 7, 2004 that President Kennedy was very cooperative. He didnt interfere with our actions. President Kennedy was very likeablehe never had a harsh word for anyone. He never interfered with our actions. When the author asked Blaine how often the agents rode on the back of JFKs limousine, the former agent said it was a fairly common occurrence that depended on the crowd and the speed of the cars. In fact, just as one example, Blaine rode on the rear of JFKs limousine in Germany in June 1963, along with fellow Texas trip veterans Paul A. Burns and Samuel E. Sulliman. Blaine added, in specific reference to the agents on the follow-up car in Dallas: You have to remember, they were fairly young agents, seeming to imply that their youth was a disadvantage, or perhaps this was seen as an excuse for their poor performance on November 22, 1963. Surprisingly, Blaine, the WHD advance agent for the Tampa trip of November 18, 1963, said that JFK did make the comment I dont need Ivy League charlatans back there, but emphasized this was a low-key remark said kiddingly and demonstrating Kennedys Irish sense of humor. However, according to the official story, President Kennedy allegedly made these remarks only to Boring while traveling in the presidential limousine in Tampa: Blaine was nowhere near the vehicle at the time, so Boring had to be his source for this story! In addition to Emory Roberts, one now won-ders if Blaine was a source (or perhaps the source) for Manchesters exagger-ated quote attributed to Boring, as Agent Blaine was also interviewed by Man-chester (see above). Blaine would not respond to a follow-up letter on this subject.

However, when the author phoned Blaine on June 10, 2005, the former agent said the remark Ivy League charlatans came from the guys … I cant remember who [said it] … I cant remember [emphasis added]. Thus, Blaine confirms that he did not hear the remark from JFK. (When asked if agents rode on the rear of the limousine on the Italy trip in 1963, Blaine said forcefully: Oh yeah, oh yeah. It turns out he was one of the agents.) Blaine also added that the lack of agents on the rear of the car had no impact, adding: Well, maybe a hesita-tion. That is all it took. The former agent also said: Dont be too hard on Emory Roberts. He was a double, even a triple checker. He probably took Jack Readys life into consideration. If only he would have taken Jack Kennedys life with the same degree of concern.]

· The plethora of conspiracy theories that have been posited over the years, including the authors conclusion that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone [Gerald Blaine wrote the author on June 12, 2005: I did not hear Jerry ORourkes (PRO-CONSPIRACY) comments, but I cannot even imagine an agent who went through the whole thing expressing a conspiracy theory, but everyone is entitled to their own thoughts. My study and evaluation over the years, based upon the threat scenarios we had to deal with pointed to Oswalds acting alone.]

· How the assassination forever changed the role of the Secret Service, and how the modern day agency has adapted to new threats and is responsible for more people than ever before

· JFKs meetings with Marilyn Monroe[ON MY SECRET SERVICE BLOG AND YOU TUBE VIDEOS, I HAVE FEATURED A PHOTO OF MARILYN MONROE WITH FLOYD BORING]

As Blaine writes, Every man on the Kennedy Detail would re-live those six seconds in Dallas a million times over. For the rest of their lives, they would be defined by the assassination of JFK, questioned and blamed for failing to achieve the impossible. [HITTING THE GAS AND REACTING IS "THE IMPOSSIBLE"??? CHRIST, WHY EVEN F&*^%' HAVE THE SECRET SERVICE, THEN??? PARDON MY FRENCH, BUT THIS CRAP MAKES ME MAD---STOP BLAMING THE VICTIM] This is their story, and it is essential reading for anyone seeking to more fully understand what happened on November 22, 1963."

Both Jerry Blaine and Clint Hill are available for interviews about THE KENNEDY DETAIL, and they will be in New York City in November. The Discovery Channels show based on the book airs on November 21st."

-----------

Vince Palamara

Edited by Vince Palamara

Clint Hill has been a great "Actor" regarding his guilt all these years. This will be interesting.

In my opinion,he is inviting an explanation of their inaction by going on the offensive.

The south and grassy knoll areas, as well as the triple overpass were completely unguarded by the Service.

Could you explain that to us, Mr. Hill?

Edited by Peter McGuire

Guest Robert Morrow

I wonder if Lyndon Johnson or the Central Intelligence Agency were some of the "threat scenarios" to John Kennedy that Gerald Blaine and the Secret Service prepared for? He could have started by reading the NEWSPAPER!:

Columnist Arthur Krock was openly speculating in the New York Times about a CIA coup detat against John Kennedy CIA was out of control, literally.

Check out the amazing Arthur Krock column in NYT on 10/03/63! The CIA and JFK were at WAR with each other! JFK knew he did not have control of the CIA. http://www.jfklancer.com/Krock.html An stunning column which even includes public speculation in an elite newspaper (back then) about the possibility of the CIA engineering a coup detat! The bottom line is that John Kennedy did NOT have control of the CIA and his WAR with them was even spilling into print into the public elite media.

The New York Times

October 3, 1963 p. 34

The Intra-Administration

War in Vietnam

By Arthur Krock

... One reporter in this category is Richard Starnes of the Scripps-Howard newspapers. Today, under a Saigon dateline, he related that, "according to a high United States source here, twice the C.I.A. flatly refused to carry out instructions from Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge . . . [and] in one instance frustrated a plan of action Mr. Lodge brought from Washington because the agency disagreed with it." Among the views attributed to United States officials on the scene, including one described as a "very high American official . . . who has spent much of his life in the service of democracy . . . are the following:

The C.I.A.'s growth was "likened to a malignancy" which the "very high official was not sure even the White House could control . . . any longer." "If the United States ever experiences [an attempt at a coup to overthrow the Government] it will come from the C.I.A. and not the Pentagon." The agency "represents a tremendous power and total unaccountability to anyone."

... The C.I.A. may be guilty as charged. Since it cannot, or at any rate will not, openly defend its record in Vietnam, or defend it by the same confidential press "briefings" employed by its critics, the public is not in a position to judge. Nor is this department, which sought and failed to get even the outlines of the agency's case in rebuttal. But Mr. Kennedy will have to make a judgment if the spectacle of war within the Executive branch is to be ended and the effective functioning of the C.I.A. preserved. And when he makes this judgment, hopefully he also will make it public, as well as the appraisal of fault on which it is based.

Edited by Robert Morrow

The most important secret service agent involved in the investigation of the assassintion was SAIC of New Orleans John W. Rice, not only for his office's investigaiton of Oswald BEFORE the assassination, but his respose to the assassination and his inquiry into the New Orleans, Dallas and DC aspects of the case, as well as his interaction with FBI liason to the Secret Service Orrin Bartlett.

If Rice is not mentioned in the book, then the book is lacking the most important aspect of the Secret Service involvement with the assassination.

Besides Jerry O'Rourke, I'd also like to hear the story of another Secret Service agent on the Kennedy Detail - Mugsy O'Learly, who we hear very little about, but was a personal friend of JFK who was placed on that detail job by JFK.

BKelly

Edited by William Kelly

Clint Hill has been a great "Actor" regarding his guilt all these years.

What a stupid statement to make about a guy who is a genuine hero.

Just how is Hill a hero? Kennedy was killed for Christ's sake. Explain that one to me?

These guys got a lot of nerve coming out with this nonsense at this stage of the game where we know darn well what happened.

Vince,

Is "AND JFK had it coming" your input before having read the book,

or is that something that THEY say?

Thanks,

BK

If Vince, who wrote the title of this post, or anyone who has the book can answer - do they actually say "And JFK had it coming"?

Someone once said that after the cover-stories - Castro, Lone-Nut, CIA, Cubans, Mafia, et al. are slowly peeled away, in the end, they

are finally going to admit that it was a conspiracy, and that the bastard deserved it.

I don't think they are at that point yet, but certainly some of the SS in JFK's "detail" hated his guts.

BKelly

Edited by William Kelly

:) I think the cast of RED DWARF has already dealt with that.

Just how is Hill a hero? Kennedy was killed for Christ's sake. Explain that one to me?

He put his life on the line, by heading in to the kill area, the limo, as soon as he realised what was happening.

That's heroic...PERIOD!!!

I have to agree. Clint Hill did his best as far as I know. Good on him.

• 4 weeks later...

Special Event

Q&A with Jerry Blaine, Lisa McCubbin and Clint Hill

Moderated by Museum Curator Gary Mack

November 20, 2010 at 2:00 p.m.

The Sixth Floor Museum, 411 Elm Street, Dallas, TX, 75202

From dallasartnews.com:

THE KENNEDY DETAIL
: JFK’s Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence

By Gerald Blaine with Lisa McCubbin

Foreword by Clint Hill

In
THE KENNEDY DETAIL
: JFK’S Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence (Gallery Books; November 2, 2010; $28.00), Jerry Blaine – one of thirty-four Secret Service agents on President Kennedy’s detail when he was assassinated – sets history straight on what really happened that afternoon and in the months leading up to and following the tragedy. Written with award-winning journalist Lisa McCubbin, this insider account includes contributions from many of the Secret Service agents who were serving on the Kennedy Detail, and draws upon their daily reports, expense accounts, personal notes, and vivid recollections.

Clint Hill, the agent who jumped on the back of the car immediately after the shooting and helped Jackie back down into her seat, has rarely contributed to any works on the assassination, until now. As Hill writes in the Foreword, “I don’t talk to anybody about that day…It is only because of my complete faith and trust that Jerry Blaine would tell our story with dignity and unwavering honesty that I agreed to be involved.”

THE KENNEDY DETAIL
is the only authoritative account of the events of that day from the men, like Clint Hill, who were there to guard the president’s life.

As Blaine writes, “Every man on the Kennedy Detail would re-live those six seconds in Dallas a million times over. For the rest of their lives, they would be defined by the assassination of JFK, questioned and blamed for failing to achieve the impossible.”

The Discovery Channel is producing a TV special based on The Kennedy Detail that airs in November and features rare footage from The Sixth Floor Museum’s collections.

The Sixth Floor Museum will host a free program with Jerry Blaine, Lisa McCubbin and Clint Hill on November 20, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. Museum Curator Gary Mack will moderate a program and Q&A session, followed by a book-signing. Books can be purchased at the Museum Store + Café for $28.00.

Thank you Duncan, I was ready to write something very similar. I cannot imagine ANYONE saying anything against the one man who acted that day!

As I recall, Hill rode on the back bumper of the limo periodically during the Dallas motorcade, depending on the nature of the crowd along the way. From this I assume that he was one of the agents who would have ordinarily ridden on the back bumper all the way. Has Hill himself ever stated he was told not to ride or stay on the limo? And if so, who told him, JFK, Emory Roberts, or someone else?

He put his life on the line, by heading in to the kill area, the limo, as soon as he realised what was happening.

That's heroic...PERIOD!!!

He did his job - period.

Too bad the rest of the crew did not.

As I recall, Hill rode on the back bumper of the limo periodically during the Dallas motorcade, depending on the nature of the crowd along the way. From this I assume that he was one of the agents who would have ordinarily ridden on the back bumper all the way. Has Hill himself ever stated he was told not to ride or stay on the limo? And if so, who told him, JFK, Emory Roberts, or someone else?

Good question. I have always wondered the same thing. Why? Why was he not there in Dealy?

Edited by Peter McGuire

From DiscoveryNews

By Emily Sohn

Thursday Oct 21, 2010

Excerpt:

Four days before the fateful 1963 motorcade in Dallas when John F. Kennedy was fatally shot in the head, the young president had requested that his secret service agents give him some space.

"President Kennedy made a decision, and he politely told everybody, 'You know, we're starting the campaign now, and the people are my asset,'" said agent Jerry Blaine. "And so, we all of a sudden understood. It left a firm command to stay off the back of the car."

and:

Agent Clint Hill was in the motorcade behind Kennedy that day in Dallas. After the fatal shot, Hill jumped on the back of the President’s car and held on as the car raced to the hospital. In the years after the assassination, Hill sunk into a downward spiral of depression and alcoholism. In 1990, when he was pulling his life back together, he finally visited Dallas again.

"I walked in Dealey Plaza for a long time, looking back and forth and up and down, at every angle, for everything possible that I could think of," he said. "How could this have been avoided? What could we have done differently? Where did we go wrong? Why did it happen?"

"I finally came to the conclusion that because of everything that happened that day," he continued, including the weather, the configuration of the streets, and the position of the shooter, "that every advantage had gone to the shooter that day. And we had none."

"So I realized that based on all those conditions, there was nothing that I could have done," he said. "And I finally accepted the fact that what happened was something that I could not avoid. And so that was a great deal of relief to me."

http://news.discovery.com/history/jfk-assassination-secret-service.html

There are some comments by Vince Palamara at the bottom of the page.