The Education Forum

Why did/do the Kennedys remain silent?

John Dolva

Defense contractors. Recall General Smedley Butler, after a long career putting down South American rebellions, finally coming out and proclaiming that he had made these countries 'safe for American corporations'. Public officials have to worry about paper trails because they are subject to some degree to public scrutiny. Corporate heads are more protected. Its the private communications between these two groups that we rarely see - in my opinion.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense contractors. Recall General Smedley Butler, after a long career putting down South American rebellions, finally coming out and proclaiming that he had made these countries 'safe for American corporations'. Public officials have to worry about paper trails because they are subject to some degree to public scrutiny. Corporate heads are more protected. Its the private communications between these two groups that we rarely see - in my opinion.

Ron - Gary Mack says the CTKA article is wrong. He claims the Winspear Opera House owns the recording.

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. I've been studying the JFK assassination for almost a decade and have been following this forum for quite a while before I became a member.

I have never been published, but have studied certain aspects of the case and 1950's-1970's U.S. history in general pretty extensively. Ironically, my boss at my current job was in the CIA in the mid-70's and went on to be an economist for Ted Kennedy's office.

Anyway, I read Roger Stone's book a while back because I thought it would be filled with inside information about what Nixon and John Mitchell said about the assassination. It turned out to be pretty sparce in that regard and was mostly summary of other authors' books on Johnson and the JFK assassination. There was, however, one thing that stuck out as interesting. He said that John Davis Lodge told him that his brother, Henry Cabot Lodge had foreknowledge of the assassination. "He knew Kennedy wouldn't be around on Monday to fire him," or something to that effect. While some may dismiss this as gossip, I give it a little more credence because 1) these kind of tidbits are scant in the book and he doesn't really embellish his own personal history of contact with principles in the case 2) John Davis Lodge was his mentor and I don't think he would be quick to publish it if John Davis didn't really say it.

Edited by Brian Schmidt