The Education Forum

Excerpt of "The Plot to Kill the President" in Parade 1980

Len Colby

In 2003, G. Robert Blakey amended what he told PBS Frontline in 1993.

"I am no longer confident that the Central Intelligence Agency co-operated with the committee....

....They (HSCA researchers) were certainly right about one question: the committee's researchers did not trust the Agency.

Indeed, that is precisely why they were in their positions. We wanted to test the Agency's integrity. I wrote off the complaints.

I was wrong; the researchers were right. I now believe the process lacked integrity precisely because of Joannides.

For these reasons, I no longer believe that we were able to conduct an appropriate investigation of the Agency and its relationship

to Oswald. Anything that the Agency told us that incriminated, in some fashion, the Agency may well be reliable as far as it goes,

but the truth could well be that it materially understates the matter.

What the Agency did not give us none but those involved in the Agency can know for sure. I do not believe any denial offered by the

Agency on any point. The law has long followed the rule that if a person lies to you on one point, you may reject all of his testimony.

I now no longer believe anything the Agency told the committee any further than I can obtain substantial corroboration for it from outside

the Agency for its veracity. We now know that the Agency withheld from the Warren Commission the CIA-Mafia plots to kill Castro. Had the

commission known of the plots, it would have followed a different path in its investigation. The Agency unilaterally deprived the commission

of a chance to obtain the full truth, which will now never be known.

Significantly, the Warren Commission's conclusion that the agencies of the government co-operated with it is, in retrospect, not the truth.

We also now know that the Agency set up a process that could only have been designed to frustrate the ability of the committee in 1976-79

to obtain any information that might adversely affect the Agency.

Many have told me that the culture of the Agency is one of prevarication and dissimulation and that you cannot trust it or its people. Period. End of story.

I am now in that camp."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/oswald/interviews/blakey.html