The Education Forum

Did Oswald SWITCH rifle shoulder straps?

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I can't imagine a "JFK Research World" without Jack in it. This is the longest time he hasn't posted in over 13 years! I miss him. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

Regarding attached PDF:

Interesting to note that the FBI interviewed employees of the William B Reily Company, New Orleans, to inquire about the RIFLE SLING, no??? Why them? Even the vice president of the company, William B Reily, III, was interviewed about the RIFLE SLING? Imagine that! Wow. Either the FBI was comprised of a bunch of incompetent bumbling fools or there is much more to this story beneath the surface... or both.

And why was N. I. Rains, Chief Warrant Officer, U.S. Marine Corps interviewed? If he was an unqualified witness then the bureau made another blunder. If not, did his job description suggest he should have a working knowledge of such things as a rifle sling? If so, his testimony [paraphrased] is that he "never saw anything like it and was at a loss to offer suggestion pertaining to its possible use."

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey David,

All is good here. Thanks for asking.

The FBI report I have is mildly interesting, perhaps entertaining is a better word for it. It refers to a "sling" used on the gun (not a strap). Here is a brief excerpt from one part of it, dated December 24, 1963:

"On December 18, 1963, Mr. ADRIAN T. ALBA was contacted at his place of business, Crescent City Garage, Inc., 618 Magazine, New orleans. At this time he was shown photographs of the device utilized as a sling on the rifle of LEE HARVEY OSWALD. Mr. ALBA said he had never seen OSWALD with the likes of the contraption shown and expressed the opinion that it definitely had never been intended at the time of manufacture to be used as a rifle sling. He reiterated, as on previous occasions, that he and OSWALD had never discussed rifle slings or like devices for use in the firing of a rifle."

FWIW

Excellent... can you lead me to this report? Purvis seems to believe that he helped create this sling yet I find nothing top support that statement....

and if indeed it is the opposite... Tom has some 'splaining to do...

DJ

It can be found at the Ferrell site. It's Commission Document 244, pg. 17

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?absPageId=340536

Edited by Gil Jesus

Purvis seems to believe that he helped create this sling yet I find nothing top support that statement....

DJ

FWIW, I've searched my HSCA CD and am also unable to find any reference to Alba, a rivet machine, the sling and Oswald.

I'd be interested why Alba told two different stories to two different investigations.

Perhaps Mr. Purvis can enlighten us with a link to the HSCA testimony.

Purvis seems to believe that he helped create this sling yet I find nothing top support that statement....

DJ

FWIW, I've searched my HSCA CD and am also unable to find any reference to Alba, a rivet machine, the sling and Oswald.

I'd be interested why Alba told two different stories to two different investigations.

Page (4) of the following link:

http://contentdm.baylor.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/15poage-arm&CISOPTR=31618&REC=2

"One time OSWALD came to the garage with a rifle sling and asked if he could put a rivet in a piece of leather. ALBA did using a small anvil from his shop which he still has in his possession. The piece that he put in was a light tan color and slightly wider but not as thick as the original which according to him was black leather. OSWALD told him it was from his Italian rifle. Mr. ALBA then had a discussion with the two investigators concerning the worthiness of the Mannlicher Carcano rifle and how they were available in the New Orleans area for $9.95 at that time."

Somewhat of an important recollection.

Now, if everyone would excuse me? I have to go back to covering up the assassination on behalf of Lord Bertrand Russell and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Bye

Thanks for that link. It's obvious that Alba told two different stories to two different investigations. The question is why. I think it may raise questions about his credibility.

DJ

http://contentdm.baylor.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/15poage-arm&CISOPTR=31618&REC=2

"One time OSWALD came to the garage with a rifle sling and asked if he could put a rivet in a piece of leather. ALBA did using a small anvil from his shop which he still has in his possession. The piece that he put in was a light tan color and slightly wider but not as thick as the original which according to him was black leather. OSWALD told him it was from his Italian rifle. Mr. ALBA then had a discussion with the two investigators concerning the worthiness of the Mannlicher Carcano rifle and how they were available in the New Orleans area for $9.95 at that time."

Now, if everyone would excuse me? I have to go back to covering up the assassination on behalf of Lord Bertrand Russell and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Bye

Thanks Lee...

I find the "Original Black Sling" mentioned to be interesting... For the rifle to have the Rope Sling in the BYP, it had to have been shipped without a sling or one was taken off...

As we look at the ad... there is no sling included with the shipping of this rifle (same with clip and ammo - these are ordered seperately)

yet also as curious is the REAR bottom sling mount... when we know it was on the side of the weapon in the TSBD...

We going to chalk that up to clip art not being representative of the final product?

So the rifle is shipped without a sling... so which black sling is Oswald referring to here?

Thanks

DJ

Riflesideslingversusrifleordered.jpg

DJ

Bye

Thanks Lee...

I find the "Original Black Sling" mentioned to be interesting... For the rifle to have the Rope Sling in the BYP, it had to have been shipped without a sling or one was taken off...

As we look at the ad... there is no sling included with the shipping of this rifle (same with clip and ammo - these are ordered seperately)

yet also as curious is the REAR bottom sling mount... when we know it was on the side of the weapon in the TSBD...

We going to chalk that up to clip art not being representative of the final product?

So the rifle is shipped without a sling... so which black sling is Oswald referring to here?

Thanks

DJ

Riflesideslingversusrifleordered.jpg

David,

No problem. The issue of the rifle ordered versus the one advertised versus the one allegedly dispatched versus the one found is a head-wrecker.

I really don't know what to make of Alba. I know Jim D has already touched upon his credibility taking a nose dive and once again we have a witness where his testimony is all over the place. He gives some info that hints at a possible Oswald relationship with the FBI. He brings the Secret Service into the equation. He links Oswald to the gun magazines. He says he fixed the strap. But the summary says he didn't. He claims Oswald asked to borrow his car.

If Alba is linked to the Lake Pontchartrain camps then who the hell knows where he fits into all this?

Lee

Well... starting to read Garrison's book... Crescent, next to Reilly's, next to 544 Camp, in the middle of intelligence in NOLA...

You get the impression that Alba may have been one of the NO T-1 thru 6 informants? Sees him most every day... just a thought.

btw... found a photo of a Carcano sling, black leather, like Alba says Oswald mentions.... nothing like this was found in any of the Oswald/Paine stuff... right?

Vintagecarcanosling.jpg