The Education Forum

Was Oliver Stone's JFK accurate or credible?

John Wilson

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The film chronicles, more or less accurately,

Jim Garrison's phony solution to the JFK murder.

There are many sincere students of the case

who remain duped by Garrison's nonsense.

I generally agree with this assessment of Oliver Stone's film, JFK. The title of the film really should have been The Jim Garrison Story, or perhaps, On the Trail of the Assassins, the title of the book by Jim Garrison that inspired the JFK movie.

Even then, I think the Oliver Stone took too many Hollywood liberties -- e.g. he made composite characters to save time (so that Perry Russo was not portrayed at all, but was combined with Logan and Broshears and other characters in the Kevin Bacon character, Willie O'Keefe'. Nevertheless, Perry Russo did make a personal appearance in the opening scene at the bar, applauding JFK's death.)

Also, Jack Martin (played by Jack Lemmon) played a far, far greater role in Jim Garrison's investigation than the JFK movie suggests.

In any case, the flaws in Jim Garrison's case were many (e.g. I think he was obsessed with New Orleans and didn't plow into Dallas as he should have), although hindsight is 20/20, and without Jim Garrison there might never have been an HSCA (which in 1979 ultimately admitted that Oswald probably had accomplices).

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo