The Education Forum

Notes from mother of Lee Harvey Oswald found

Guest Robert Morrow

Here is the full article; Please politely contact and educate the reporter at:

John Pope can be reached at jpope@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3317. [i spoke with John Pope. He used to be reporter at the Daily Texan at the University of Texas here in Austin and he interviewed Lyndon Johnson in the early 1970's. Maybe you folks can send him some good information, good books, web links on the JFK assassination.]

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/notes_from_mother_of_jfk_assas.html

When Byron Meyer and his mother were going through papers and pictures at their Chalmette home about a year ago to see what Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters had spared, they came upon a tattered assortment in a dresser drawer in her bedroom.

Courtesy of the Meyer familyLora Lee Meyer of Chalmette and her son, Byron Meyer, recently found 1960s mementoes fromt the friendship between Lora Lee Meyer and Marguerite Oswald, shown here, mother of Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassin of President John F. Kennedy.

It held yellowed newspaper clippings, fading Christmas cards and a few letters and pictures. In a February 1969 note to Lora Lee Meyer, when she was six months pregnant, the writer says: "I would be so honored to act as 'Godmother' for the new baby" -- the child who would turn out to be Byron Meyer.

What makes this letter more than a routine note is the identity of the writer: Marguerite Oswald, the New Orleans-born mother of Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who assassinated President John F. Kennedy in November 1963 and was shot dead two days later.

"It's weird, it's bizarre, it's freaky," Byron Meyer said a few days ago as he was leafing through the trove. "She was going to be my godmother -- the mother of the assassin of one of the best presidents in the history of America. It was so close."

Seeking legal help

It didn't happen, his mother said, because Oswald told her she felt authorities wouldn't let her leave Texas, even though more than five years had elapsed since the assassination and she had not been charged with a crime.

Marguerite Oswald never met either Meyer in person, but she and Lora Lee Meyer exchanged letters and spoke frequently on the phone.

Oswald, who was living in Fort Worth, Texas, found Lora Lee Meyer because her husband, John Meyer, was a lawyer in Jefferson Parish who had planned to represent her in litigation in Texas in which Oswald was fighting back against attacks on her and her son.

But that came to naught, Lora Lee Meyer said, because her husband would have had to work with a Texas lawyer, and no one was willing to represent Oswald.

"I was hoping he could help her," Meyer said, "but he couldn't because the lawyers wouldn't do a thing to help him."

Women share tears

Oswald died in 1981, and John Meyer died in 1998. Meyer's name "didn't ring a bell," said Robert Oswald, Marguerite Oswald's surviving son, in a telephone interview from his home in Wichita Falls, Texas.

View full size Matthew Hinton / The Times-Picayune

Byron Meyer found correspondence from Marguerite Oswald, mother of Lee Harvey Oswald, to his mother Lora Lee Meyer when he was going through stuff at the family's Chalmette home after Hurricane Katrina. The correspondence was on the second floor of their home, top right, so it survived but the neighbor's home did not, background. Photo taken Thursday December 10, 2010.

Because John Meyer didn't tell his wife much about his work, Lora Lee Meyer said she had no idea how he knew Marguerite Oswald, with whom he met several times on trips to Texas.

But that didn't stop the women from launching into a long-distance friendship.

Marguerite Oswald was a lonely woman, Meyer said. "She'd cry over the phone, and I'd cry back."

In a letter to Meyer, Oswald said, "I do have my moments of sadness, frustration and tears."

During these conversations, both women said they felt Kennedy's assassination was the result of a conspiracy, even though the Warren Commission concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

But, Lora Lee Meyer said, "she was sure he had something to do with it."

'Weird as can be'

Marguerite Oswald befriended reporters in her part of Texas, said Gary Mack, who was one of them.

Oswald was "a nice lady, and I enjoyed talking to her and answering questions for her, but she was really different," said Mack, who described her as "weird as can be."

He is the curator of the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, which occupies the part of the building on Dealey Plaza from which Oswald shot Kennedy.

"She would call any hour of the day or night," Mack said. "Sometimes she was able to gain (reporters') sympathy. They'd buy her a meal. She was good at telling tales of woe."

Byron Meyer said his mother frequently sent Oswald money to help her make ends meet. A cashed Whitney National Bank check from 1978 for $5 -- equivalent to slightly more than $16 today -- is part of the Meyers' collection.

View full sizeCourtesy of the Meyer FamilyCorrespondence from Marguerite Oswald, mother of Lee Harvey Oswald, was found by Byron Meyer when he was going through the family's Chalmette home after Hurricane Katrina.

So are a signed photograph of Marguerite Oswald; a copy of "Aftermath of an Execution," a booklet in which she wrote about her son's arrest, death and burial; and a copy of "The American Heritage Book of Presidents and Famous Americans." It is the volume devoted to Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson, Kennedy's successor. Marguerite Oswald inscribed the book to John and Lora Lee Meyer and their children just above a picture of the presidential seal.

"It's pretty ironic that the papers are here," Lora Lee Meyer said, "because the house was burglarized after the storm."

Papers have little worth

Neither Meyer has decided what to do with the documents.

Marguerite Oswald's papers, which had filled 30 cartons, are at Texas Christian University, where she wanted them to go, said Roger Rainwater, head of special collections at the Fort Worth school.

Because material pertaining to Lee Harvey Oswald had been sold, TCU's holdings have "very little of substance" about the assassination, he said, and seldom attract much attention.

"Very occasionally, somebody with an interest in the assassination or a conspiracy will contact us, but that's about all," Rainwater said. "People know they're here. I send out a finding aid (to the collection) fairly regularly, but people rarely follow up on it."

Naomi Hample, who handles signed documents at Argosy Book Store in New York City, said the Meyers' papers probably wouldn't fetch much from autograph collectors unless they mentioned Marguerite Oswald's son.

"She was a very peripheral person," Hample said.

John Pope can be reached at jpope@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3317

• 1 month later...

Can anyone remind me where the reprinted edition of Harvey and Lee can be bought? Thanks.

How can a Warren Commission document, in this case CD 480; be considered a book at maryferrell.org

that cannot be "unlocked?"

See

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/lockedPage.do?docId=10881

Or simply try to access CD 480.......

Answer

See NARA search results for CD 480

AGENCY : WC

RECORD NUMBER : 179-40001-10417

RECORDS SERIES : 09: OSWALD, MARGUERITE

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : FBI

TO : RANKIN, J. LEE

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 03/11/1964

PAGES : 2

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : OSWALD, MARGUERITE, RADIO APPEARANCES

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : REFERRED

CURRENT STATUS : POSTPONED IN FULL

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 00/00/0000

COMMENTS : COVER LETTER ENCLOSING CD 480 AND 480A-- FOUR REELS OF

TAPE AND TWO COPIES OF A MEMO DATED 3/6/64; P. 1-2;

BOX F04

See

http://www.nara.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/27270/jfksnew.txt

Why would NARA have a problem declassifying this?

I also would not just assume the papers referenced

in Pope's story, are "identical" with the 4 reels of tape

in 179-40001-10417 and 179-40006-10016

Mass media consensus has always been she was a "crazy old lady,"

If that is so, why are they still classified?

John Armstrong's Oswald family "doubles" is not a popular

topic, but considering that, the above proves all the facts aren't in

regarding Marguerite at least; maybe someone who traveled all over

the world researching the JFK assassination, deserves a little more

respect, for his unpopular postulations.

Can anyone remind me where the reprinted edition of Harvey and Lee can be bought? Thanks.

How can a Warren Commission document, in this case CD 480; be considered a book at maryferrell.org

See

OK - but I was really just tring to find the publisher that reprinted and is selling Armstrong's Harvey and Lee. I used to have a link to their site, lost it, and Google's no help. Anybody remember?

See

OK - but I was really just tring to find the publisher that reprinted and is selling Armstrong's Harvey and Lee. I used to have a link to their site, lost it, and Google's no help. Anybody remember?

http://lasthurrahbookshop.net/

might find some info there... Andy sold the last copies that I was aware of... I doubt there has been a reprint, for that matter, a new edition... in any case, Andy is the best source (I know of) for Harvey & Lee that you seek...

Edited by David G. Healy