The Education Forum

Can Historians Perform Role in Conflict Resolution?

Guest Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

Instead of the costly legal tribunals and inquiries into various incidents during the war in Northern Ireland e.g. Bloody Sunday, Finucane, Hamill etc. alongside the Historical Enquiries Team (HET) set up to investigate generally unsolved murders during the period - it has been proposed that historians could be used. I see many problems with this.

Whilst this is undoubtedly a pure money saving suggestion,could it work?

Can historians be relied on to be impartial?

Where would the influence, necessary to release documents and information, on the UK and Irish Governments come from?

Ultimately, could the work be free from political influence and create a true history?

I know there are many here with backgrounds in history. Has this worked effectively before, and/or do you think it could work?

Instead of the costly legal tribunals and inquiries into various incidents during the war in Northern Ireland e.g. Bloody Sunday, Finucane, Hamill etc. alongside the Historical Enquiries Team (HET) set up to investigate generally unsolved murders during the period - it has been proposed that historians could be used. I see many problems with this.

Where would the influence, necessary to release documents and information, on the UK and Irish Governments come from?

Ultimately, could the work be free from political influence and create a true history?

I know there are many here with backgrounds in history. Has this worked effectively before, and/or do you think it could work?

It could be argued that the release of documents that showed how different governments gave secret support to the illegal activities of the para-militaries, would actually increase conflict in Northern Ireland.

Ultimately this is the crux. (studying the format of Trotskys ''History of the Russian Revolution'' can give insights). Some thoughts: truth, while written by the victor, (in whatever), floats

I think for it to work society must change fundamentally so that it will codify a presentation (of whatever history) as close to truth as possible. Naturally gordian knots will be bared and the tensions need resolution, but that is not the Historians role, imo, that's up to whatever societies Legal Departments.

Gary

For the benefit of those of us not from the British Isles can you provide some more background and/or some informative links? We could Google but it might take awhile understand enough to respond intelligently to your questions.