The Education Forum

An endless source of oil?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/science/26ausubel.html?_r=1&ref=science

Key excerpt from this article: "In 2009, Jesse Ausubel started a fourth environmental project, the Deep Carbon Observatory. Mr. Ausubel had long been interested in an idea developed by Cornell University physicist Thomas Gold, who believed that oil and gas are produced by deep-earth microbes feeding on natural sources of methane. From this it followed, Dr. Gold argued, that oil wells might be naturally replenished from vast sources of carbon deep in the planet."

I have never believed the myth that all the dead dinosaurs that ever existed were responsible for all the world supply of oil.

That is not logical and no proof supports it.

The myth is perpetuated by those who profit from an artificial scarcity of petroleum.

The abiotic theory of a "natural geological mechanism" which produces oil and gas makes much more sense to me.

Jack

PS...I resent the new forum policy of linking words in text that I write to articles which I do not intend!

Is there any way to undo this annoying practice?

Edited by Jack White

I have never believed the myth that all the dead dinosaurs that ever existed were responsible for all the world supply of oil.

That is not logical and no proof supports it.

The myth is perpetuated by those who profit from an artificial scarcity of petroleum.

The abiotic theory of a "natural geological mechanism" which produces oil and gas makes much more sense to me.

Jack

I guess Jack believes living in Texas qualifies him as an expert on petroleum geology.