The Education Forum

Texas Legislature formally honors J.D. Tippit

Guest Robert Morrow

Guest Robert Morrow

Question: what is the best material I can read on the Tippit slaying? Please recommend a book, an article, a web page, etc. Thanks in advance.

[Note: I have been told to read Henry Hurt's book Reasonable Doubt, Chapter 7 "Tippit's Murder: Rosetta Stone or Red Herring", p. 139... keep those picks coming!]

I do not think Oswald was even at the scene of the Tippet slaying, much less shooting anyone. All this in the context of a coup d'etat where the perps where trying to blame it on US intelligence agent Oswald. It is really disappointing to see this propaganda being dished out officially in Texas in 2011, after so much has been learned about the 1963 Coup d'Etat.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2011/05/lawmakers-honor-cop-killed-in-kennedy-assassination/

Lawmakers honor cop killed in Kennedy assassination

Texas lawmakers honored the Dallas police officer who was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald moments after Oswald assassinated President Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963.

J.D. Tippit’s wife, Marie, stood on the House dais Monday as Rep. Cindy Burkett, R–Mesquite, read HR 1458.

WHEREAS, On November 22, 1963, Officer J. D. Tippit of the Dallas Police Department made the ultimate sacrifice in behalf of his fellow citizens; and

WHEREAS, Officer Tippit was on patrol that day when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated; he responded to the all-points bulletin that followed, spotted and was attempting to question or arrest Lee Harvey Oswald when the officer was shot and mortally wounded by the suspect [Editor's note: how the hell do they *know* that?]; and

WHEREAS, Dallas police were soon alerted to the shooting of one of their own, and Lee Harvey Oswald was subsequently arrested; and

WHEREAS, Officer Tippit left behind a wife of 17 years, Marie, and their three children, Charles Allen, Brenda, and Curtis; and

WHEREAS, J. D. Tippit was a dedicated and courageous police officer who gave his life in the line of duty; his heroism remains vivid in the hearts of those who cared for him and in the minds of those who remember the tragic events of that fateful day; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the House of Representatives of the 82nd Texas Legislature hereby pay tribute to the memory and service of Officer J. D. Tippit; and, be it further

RESOLVED, That an official copy of this resolution be prepared for his family and that when the Texas House of Representatives adjourns this day, it do so in memory of Dallas Police Officer J. D. Tippit

Edited by Robert Morrow

Question: what is the best material I can read on the Tippit slaying? Please recommend a book, an article, a web page, etc. Thanks in advance.

The best source I know is a two roll microfilm set known as "Files of Evidence."

See - http://www.library.unt.edu/microforms/microforms-collection/list-of-subjects/history/evidence-assassination-jfk/

I believe you can purchase this set from JFK Lancer. They may be available in another library near you.

I got this stuff from the New York State library in Albany and I printed out every page.

These rolls are filled with primary source materials. These are Dallas Police Department documents.

There is a volume or two on the Tippit killing.

Joe Backes