The Education Forum

Paul Stombaugh, CIA Agent?

This is my first post. I'm glad to be part of this great community.

Most of you probably know Paul Stombaugh, FBI examiner who testified that the fibers found in the Mannlicher Carcano "could have" come from Oswald's dark brown long sleeve shirt. I recently found a New York Times' article reporting on the fact that in 1985, the KGB lured an American into a meeting in Russia, with the sole purpose of outing him as the CIA agent that he was. His name was Paul Stombaugh. Is this a coincidence or are we talking about the same guy? Or a relative maybe? Thanks in advance.

Excerpt:

At the end of one the most important spy operations run by the C.I.A. against the Soviets during the cold war, for example, the Soviet scientist Adolf Tolkachev was detained in 1985. After Mr. Tolkachev's arrest and interrogation, the K.G.B. lured a C.I.A. officer, Paul Stombaugh, to what he believed was a meeting with Mr. Tolkachev. When Mr. Stombaugh arrived at the meeting site, the K.G.B. arrested him. He was quickly released; the sole purpose of the K.G.B. ambush had been to out an American and briefly weaken the C.I.A.'s operations in Moscow.
Edited by Andric Perez

Most of you probably know Paul Stombaugh, FBI examiner who testified that the fibers found in the Mannlicher Carcano "could have" come from Oswald's dark brown long sleeve shirt. I recently found a New York Times' article reporting on the fact that in 1985, the KGB lured an American into a meeting in Russia, with the sole purpose of outing him as the CIA agent that he was. His name was Paul Stombaugh. Is this a coincidence or are we talking about the same guy? Or a relative maybe? Thanks in advance.

Excerpt:

At the end of one the most important spy operations run by the C.I.A. against the Soviets during the cold war, for example, the Soviet scientist Adolf Tolkachev was detained in 1985. After Mr. Tolkachev's arrest and interrogation, the K.G.B. lured a C.I.A. officer, Paul Stombaugh, to what he believed was a meeting with Mr. Tolkachev. When Mr. Stombaugh arrived at the meeting site, the K.G.B. arrested him. He was quickly released; the sole purpose of the K.G.B. ambush had been to out an American and briefly weaken the C.I.A.'s operations in Moscow.

The FBI examiner was Paul Morgan Stombaugh. The CIA case agent was Paul M. (Skip) Stombaugh Jr. I think they're two different people.

The author of the NY Times article, James Risen, was probably an agency asset.

Welcome to the EF, Andric. Nice observation. Maybe someone else can provide more information than I did.

Edited by Michael Hogan

Excerpt:

Welcome Andric. Being new myself, I hope you learn as much as I am doing

Guest Tom Scully

Thank you , Michael, your info jump started my search. I am confident saying that CIA's Stombaugh, Jr. is the son of the late FBI agent and Greenville, SC county crime lab director, Paul Morgan Stombaugh. There is a block on copying and pasting the text at the middle link. It is persuasive 1979, testimony of the former FBI agent, Paul Stombaugh.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&tbs=ar:1&tbm=nws&source=hp&q=paul+stombaugh+%22His+father+is+director+of+the+Greenville+County+Crime*%22&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=paul+stombaugh+%22His+father+is+director+of+the+Greenville+County+Crime*%22&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=8a723e7e315168ef&biw=797&bih=476

Greenville Man Involved In Spy Case In Moscow .

Herald-Journal - Sep 22, 1985

Mrs. Paul Stombaugh said that after leaving the Soviet Union, ... of Maryland His father is director of the Greenville County Crime Lab . said the provided .

http://www.thejeffreymacdonaldcase.com/html/tt-1979aug07-stombaugh.html

August 7: Paul Stombaugh (FBI) - The Jeffrey MacDonald Information ...

A(nswer) Paul M. Stombaugh. I reside in Greenville, South Carolina. ... A As director, I have charge of the crime laboratory which I set up, ... The types of courts would range from city court to county courts to state courts, U. S. District ...

http://talkgreenville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=DATA04&pagename=obittext&searchdate=2002-06-18

Published in The Greenville News on Tuesday June 18, 2002

....Greenville

Paul Morgan Stombaugh, 75, died Saturday, June 15, 2002.

Born in Johnstown, Pa., he was the son of the late Ander Cornelius and Gladys Martin Stombaugh.

He was a 1949 graduate of Furman University, where he played football, was NCAA punting champion in 1947, and was inducted into Furman University Hall of Fame.

During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy aboard the destroyer, USS Metivier.

Mr. Stombaugh served with the Federal Bureau of Investigation for 26 years as a Special Agent, and retired in 1976. Following his retirement, he and his wife returned to Greenville, where he became Director of Greenville County Crime Laboratory.

He was a member of White Oak Baptist Church, and the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI-Piedmont Chapter.

Surviving are two sons, Paul Morgan Stombaugh Jr. of Pennsylvania, and Jeffrey Eugene Stombaugh of Greenville; two sisters, Gladys Jane Renaud of New Jersey and Nancy Nowicki of Florida; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

His wife of 54 years, Sarah Martin Pittman Stombaugh, died Nov. 25, 2001; and, he was also predeceased by a daughter, Belle Martin Stombaugh Hulburt. ...

I found it troubling, while reading his 1979 testimony, that FBI's Paul Stombaugh had less than three year's experience, after comleting one year of "intensive" training, before he was assigned to examine evidence in the JFK Assassination investigation. His other background was a four year degree from Furman Univ., Greenville, SC, majoring in biological studies, completed in 1949.

Edited by Tom Scully

Guest Tom Scully

Nice work TOm. You are really good at this stuff.

Are you a PI, or were you one?

No, Jim, but I'll take your question as a compliment. I was an early adopter of the search potential of the internet because I was trading stocks and options online almost 15 years ago now. I needed to find quick and current financial information to avoid getting burned on trading positions I was entering.

The internet search techniques I learned, combined with a curiousity quirk in my personality, carry over to results in this area of research, as well. You'd think I'd be able to make living solely on the trading activity, but too much information, I can tell you from experience, has influenced me, too often, to stay too briefly, or not long enough in my trading positions. I also picked up the study of my family genealogy about 7 years ago, and that search experience helps a lot with this research, too.

Anyway...there is more, a couple of coincidences. Paul Stombaugh, the FBI SA, was born in 1926 in the small town (Pop. about 22,000, today) of Johnstown, PA, devastated by a famous flood in 1889, fatal to around 2,200 of the residents.

In passing tonight, I noticed that FBI SA "EB" Kern, mentioned in the WCR, also was born in Johnstown, ten years earlier than Stombaugh, in 1916. Both SA Kern and SA Stombaugh had sons nicknamed, "Skip".

Kern's obit describes his education and colleges he graduated from, but it omits his connection with Harvard Law....

http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/bulletin/2006/summer/memoriam.php

HLS: Bulletin: In Memoriam

J. Edward Kern '38-'39 of Hollsopple, Pa., died Sept. 13, 2005. ... he was self-employed and the owner of a registered Hereford cattle-breeding company. He also served as an FBI agent and was a board member of Goodwill Industries, ...

Bill Kelly will recognize SA Kern in connection with an FBI investigation of a Julio Fernandez .

Nice work TOm. You are really good at this stuff.

Are you a PI, or were you one?

No, Jim, but I'll take your question as a compliment. I was an early adopter of the search potential of the internet because I was trading stocks and options online almost 15 years ago now. I needed to find quick and current financial information to avoid getting burned on trading positions I was entering.

The internet search techniques I learned, combined with a curiousity quirk in my personality, carry over to results in this area of research, as well. You'd think I'd be able to make living solely on the trading activity, but too much information, I can tell you from experience, has influenced me, too often, to stay too briefly, or not long enough in my trading positions. I also picked up the study of my family genealogy about 7 years ago, and that search experience helps a lot with this research, too.

Anyway...there is more, a couple of coincidences. Paul Stombaugh, the FBI SA, was born in 1926 in the small town (Pop. about 22,000, today) of Johnstown, PA, devastated by a famous flood in 1889, fatal to around 2,200 of the residents.

In passing tonight, I noticed that FBI SA "EB" Kern, mentioned in the WCR, also was born in Johnstown, ten years earlier than Stombaugh, in 1916. Both SA Kern and SA Stombaugh had sons nicknamed, "Skip".

Kern's obit describes his education and colleges he graduated from, but it omits his connection with Harvard Law....

http://www.law.harva...er/memoriam.php

HLS: Bulletin: In Memoriam

J. Edward Kern '38-'39 of Hollsopple, Pa., died Sept. 13, 2005. ... he was self-employed and the owner of a registered Hereford cattle-breeding company. He also served as an FBI agent and was a board member of Goodwill Industries, ...

Bill Kelly will recognize SA Kern in connection with an FBI investigation of a Julio Fernandez .

Yes, and there's another Jonestown connection. There's a hospital there where one of the doctors affiliated with the MKULTRA program worked after he left Philadelphia, complaining about the MKULTRA operation.

BK

Hi Tom. When I wrote "Maybe someone else can provide more information than I did," I was thinking specifically of you. I just didn't want to call you out by name and put the "pressure" on. Thanks for your research.

Thank you , Michael, your info jump started my search. I am confident saying that CIA's Stombaugh, Jr. is the son of the late FBI agent and Greenville, SC county crime lab director, Paul Morgan Stombaugh. There is a block on copying and pasting the text at the middle link. It is persuasive 1979, testimony of the former FBI agent, Paul Stombaugh.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&tbs=ar:1&tbm=nws&source=hp&q=paul+stombaugh+%22His+father+is+director+of+the+Greenville+County+Crime*%22&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=paul+stombaugh+%22His+father+is+director+of+the+Greenville+County+Crime*%22&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=8a723e7e315168ef&biw=797&bih=476

Greenville Man Involved In Spy Case In Moscow .

Herald-Journal - Sep 22, 1985

Mrs. Paul Stombaugh said that after leaving the Soviet Union, ... of Maryland His father is director of the Greenville County Crime Lab . said the provided .

http://www.thejeffreymacdonaldcase.com/html/tt-1979aug07-stombaugh.html

August 7: Paul Stombaugh (FBI) - The Jeffrey MacDonald Information ...

A(nswer) Paul M. Stombaugh. I reside in Greenville, South Carolina. ... A As director, I have charge of the crime laboratory which I set up, ... The types of courts would range from city court to county courts to state courts, U. S. District ...

http://talkgreenville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=DATA04&pagename=obittext&searchdate=2002-06-18

Published in The Greenville News on Tuesday June 18, 2002

....Greenville

Paul Morgan Stombaugh, 75, died Saturday, June 15, 2002.

Born in Johnstown, Pa., he was the son of the late Ander Cornelius and Gladys Martin Stombaugh.

He was a 1949 graduate of Furman University, where he played football, was NCAA punting champion in 1947, and was inducted into Furman University Hall of Fame.

During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy aboard the destroyer, USS Metivier.

Mr. Stombaugh served with the Federal Bureau of Investigation for 26 years as a Special Agent, and retired in 1976. Following his retirement, he and his wife returned to Greenville, where he became Director of Greenville County Crime Laboratory.

He was a member of White Oak Baptist Church, and the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI-Piedmont Chapter.

Surviving are two sons, Paul Morgan Stombaugh Jr. of Pennsylvania, and Jeffrey Eugene Stombaugh of Greenville; two sisters, Gladys Jane Renaud of New Jersey and Nancy Nowicki of Florida; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

His wife of 54 years, Sarah Martin Pittman Stombaugh, died Nov. 25, 2001; and, he was also predeceased by a daughter, Belle Martin Stombaugh Hulburt. ...

I found it troubling, while reading his 1979 testimony, that FBI's Paul Stombaugh had less than three year's experience, after comleting one year of "intensive" training, before he was assigned to examine evidence in the JFK Assassination investigation. His other background was a four year degree from Furman Univ., Greenville, SC, majoring in biological studies, completed in 1949.