The Education Forum

Paul E. Landis -United States Secret Service

I will start this off with part of Landis' statement given on Nov 27, 1963, I believe the date to be.

"I did not notice anyone on the overpass, and I scanned the area to the right of and below the overpass where the terrain sloped towards the road on which we were traveling. The only person I recall seeing clearly was a Negro male in light green slacks and a beige colored shirt running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall. He was bent over while running and I started to point towards him, but I didn't notice anything in his hands and by this time we were going under the overpass at a very high rate of speed. I was looking back and saw a motorcycle policeman stopping along the curb approximately adjacent to where I saw the Negro running."

chris

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r25/123steamn/landis-in-bell.gif

I lightened this sequence of the Bell film to show you Landis on the right side of the SS car, turning and looking toward the grassy knoll just as he's heading under the underpass.

Which is what he describes in his testimony.

and by this time we were going under the overpass at a very high rate of speed. I was looking back

chris

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r25/123steamn/Moorman-2.gif

Once again, from Landis' statement:

The only person I recall seeing clearly was a Negro male in light green slacks and a beige colored shirt running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall.

chris

http://i140.photobuc...n/Moorman-2.gif

The only person I recall seeing clearly was a Negro male in light green slacks and a beige colored shirt running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall.

chris

Quote:

I did not notice anyone on the overpass, and I scanned the area to the right of and below the overpass where the terrain sloped towards the road on which we were traveling. The only person I recall seeing clearly was a Negro male in light green slacks and a beige colored shirt running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall. He was bent over while running and I started to point towards him

Chris.

Could Landis be refering to the SOUTH knoll area. ?

This Zapruder frame shows two men running (left to right) from Landis POV as he looks back.

z416.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger

Quote:

running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall.

South Knoll showing

Sloped grassy section, sidewalk, steps, low stone wall

southknoll.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger

SSA Landis Statement of November 22, 1963:

"... At this moment I heard what sounded like the report of a high-powered rifle from behind me, over my right shoulder. When I heard the sound there was no question in my mind what it was. My first glance was at the President, as I was practically looking in his direction anyway. I saw him moving in a manner which I thought was to look in the direction of the sound. I did not realize that President Kennedy had been shot at this point.I immediately returned my gaze, over my right shoulder, toward the modernistic building I had observed before. With a quick glance I saw nothing and immediately started scanning the crowd at the intersection from my right to my left. I observed nothing unusual and began to think that the sound had been that of a fire cracker but I hadn't seen any smoke. In fact, I recall Special Agent Jack Ready saying, "What was it? A Fire Cracker?" I remarked, "I don't know; I don't see any smoke." So far the lapsed period of time could not have been over two or three seconds.

All during this time I continued to scan the crowd, returning my gaze towards the President's car. It must have been another second or two before the next shot was fired because, as I recall having seen nothing out of the ordinary, I then thought that maybe one of the cars in the motorcade had had a blowout that had echoed off the buildings. I looked at the right front tire of the President's car and saw it was all right. I then glanced to see the right rear tire, but could not because the Follow-up car was too close.

I also thought of trying to run and jump on the President's car but did not think I could make it because of the speed at which we were traveling. I decided I had better stay where I was so that I would at least be near the First Lady, to whom I am assigned. I think that it was at this point that I thought, "Faster, Faster, Faster," thinking that we could not get out of the area soon enough. However, I don't have any idea as to how fast we were then moving.

I had drawn my gun, but I am not sure exactly when I did this. I did leave my suit coat unbuttoned all during the motorcade movement, thinking at the time that I could get to my gun faster this way, if I had to.

I glanced towards the President and he still appeared to be fairly upright in his seat, leaning slightly toward Mrs. Kennedy with his head tilted slightly back. I think Mrs. Kennedy had her right arm around the President's shoulders at this time. I also remember Special Agent Clinton Hill attempting to climb onto the back of the President's car.

It was at this moment that I heard a second report and it appeared that the President's head split open with a muffled exploding sound. I can best describe the sound as I heard it, as the sound you would get by shooting a high powered bullet into a five gallon can of water or shooting into a melon. I saw pieces of flesh and blood flying through the air and the President slumped out of sight towards Mrs. Kennedy.

The time lapse between the first and second report must have been about four or five seconds.

My immediate thought was that the President could not possibly be alive after being hit like he was. I still was not certain from which direction the second shot came, but my reaction at this time was that the shot came from somewhere towards the front, right-hand side of the road.

I did not notice anyone on the overpass, and I scanned the area to the right of and below the overpass where the terrain sloped towards the road on which we were traveling. The only person I recall seeing clearly was a Negro male in light green slacks and a beige colored shirt running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall. He was bent over while running and I started to point towards him, but I didn't notice anything in his hands and by this time we were going under the overpass at a very high rate of speed. I was looking back and saw a motorcycle policeman stopping along the curb approximately adjacent to where I saw the Negro running. ..."

/s/ Paul E. Landis, Jr.

Special Agent

U.S. Secret Service

Seems clear from this statement that Landis is referring to the Grassy Knoll on the Right (North) side of Elm Street. Landis thought the first shot came from the right rear and the second shot from the north Grassy knoll area, so it would make sense for him to be looking where the sounds of gunfire originated.

"... At this moment I heard what sounded like the report of a high-powered rifle from behind me, over my right shoulder. When I heard the sound there was no question in my mind what it was. My first glance was at the President, as I was practically looking in his direction anyway. I saw him moving in a manner which I thought was to look in the direction of the sound. I did not realize that President Kennedy had been shot at this point.I immediately returned my gaze, over my right shoulder, toward the modernistic building I had observed before. With a quick glance I saw nothing and immediately started scanning the crowd at the intersection from my right to my left. I observed nothing unusual and began to think that the sound had been that of a fire cracker but I hadn't seen any smoke. In fact, I recall Special Agent Jack Ready saying, "What was it? A Fire Cracker?" I remarked, "I don't know; I don't see any smoke." So far the lapsed period of time could not have been over two or three seconds.

All during this time I continued to scan the crowd, returning my gaze towards the President's car. It must have been another second or two before the next shot was fired because, as I recall having seen nothing out of the ordinary, I then thought that maybe one of the cars in the motorcade had had a blowout that had echoed off the buildings. I looked at the right front tire of the President's car and saw it was all right. I then glanced to see the right rear tire, but could not because the Follow-up car was too close.

I also thought of trying to run and jump on the President's car but did not think I could make it because of the speed at which we were traveling. I decided I had better stay where I was so that I would at least be near the First Lady, to whom I am assigned. I think that it was at this point that I thought, "Faster, Faster, Faster," thinking that we could not get out of the area soon enough. However, I don't have any idea as to how fast we were then moving.

I had drawn my gun, but I am not sure exactly when I did this. I did leave my suit coat unbuttoned all during the motorcade movement, thinking at the time that I could get to my gun faster this way, if I had to.

I glanced towards the President and he still appeared to be fairly upright in his seat, leaning slightly toward Mrs. Kennedy with his head tilted slightly back. I think Mrs. Kennedy had her right arm around the President's shoulders at this time. I also remember Special Agent Clinton Hill attempting to climb onto the back of the President's car.

It was at this moment that I heard a second report and it appeared that the President's head split open with a muffled exploding sound. I can best describe the sound as I heard it, as the sound you would get by shooting a high powered bullet into a five gallon can of water or shooting into a melon. I saw pieces of flesh and blood flying through the air and the President slumped out of sight towards Mrs. Kennedy.

The time lapse between the first and second report must have been about four or five seconds.

My immediate thought was that the President could not possibly be alive after being hit like he was. I still was not certain from which direction the second shot came, but my reaction at this time was that the shot came from somewhere towards the front, right-hand side of the road.

I did not notice anyone on the overpass, and I scanned the area to the right of and below the overpass where the terrain sloped towards the road on which we were traveling. The only person I recall seeing clearly was a Negro male in light green slacks and a beige colored shirt running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall. He was bent over while running and I started to point towards him, but I didn't notice anything in his hands and by this time we were going under the overpass at a very high rate of speed. I was looking back and saw a motorcycle policeman stopping along the curb approximately adjacent to where I saw the Negro running. ..."

/s/ Paul E. Landis, Jr.

Special Agent

U.S. Secret Service

Seems clear from this statement that Landis is referring to the Grassy Knoll on the Right (North) side of Elm Street. Landis thought the first shot came from the right rear and the second shot from the north Grassy knoll area, so it would make sense for him to be looking where the sounds of gunfire originated.

Guys,

I don't know why you're spending anytime trying to figure out what Landis said he saw. I would argue that Landis couldn't see anything clearly. He stayed out drinking until 5:00 a.m. in Ft. Worth. He stayed up all night drinking Everclear, which is 190 proof alcohol. He got no sleep at all the night before. He showed up for work still drunk. He wasn't the only one either.

Go to my blog - http://justiceforkennedy.blogspot.com/ and put in Paul Landis in the "Search this blog," section on the right and you'll see what I wrote on this.

Landis cannot be believed. I would not put any stock in what he says.

Joe Backes

/s/ Paul E. Landis, Jr.

Special Agent

U.S. Secret Service

Richard,

Thank you for supplying the rest of the statement.

I agree with you that from Landis' position on the SS car, he is describing the north side of Elm.

The only african american on that side is the man in Muchmore.

The only cycle cop that ends up adjacent to that man on the north side of Elm is this guy:

I see a big timing problem with this.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r25/123steamn/curb-1.png

chris

chris

Quote:

I did not notice anyone on the overpass, and I scanned the area to the right of and below the overpass where the terrain sloped towards the road on which we were traveling. The only person I recall seeing clearly was a Negro male in light green slacks and a beige colored shirt running from my left to right, up the slope, across a grassy section, along a sidewalk, towards some steps and what appeared to be a low stone wall. He was bent over while running and I started to point towards him

Chris.

This Zapruder frame shows two men running (left to right) from Landis POV as he looks back.

z416.jpg

Robin,

I'm sorry I didn't supply the whole statement originally.

I'm pretty sure Landis is talking about the steps on the north side of Elm, after the shots occur.

In that instance, the guy in Muchmore would have been traveling left to right, up the stairs, toward the wall in relation to Landis' orientation and his description would be correct.

chris

chris

Quote:

Chris.

z416.jpg

Robin,

I'm sorry I didn't supply the whole statement originally.

I'm pretty sure Landis is talking about the steps on the north side of Elm, after the shots occur.

In that instance, the guy in Muchmore would have been traveling left to right, up the stairs, toward the wall in relation to Landis' orientation and his description would be correct.

chris

Yes Chris

Reading the whole statement makes it clear that Landis is refering to the NORTH knoll.

I agree.

Robin.

/s/ Paul E. Landis, Jr.

Special Agent

U.S. Secret Service

Richard,

Thank you for supplying the rest of the statement.

I agree with you that from Landis' position on the SS car, he is describing the north side of Elm.

The only african american on that side is the man in Muchmore.

The only cycle cop that ends up adjacent to that man on the north side of Elm is this guy:

I see a big timing problem with this.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r25/123steamn/curb-1.png

chris

Landis was almost certainly talking about Hargis, not Haygood.