The Education Forum

Sgt. Gerald Hill & the rifle "made in Argentina"

Gil Jesus

The double triggers, or "match" triggers, were only installed on 91/41's intended for competition shooting. M91/41's intended for frontline troops had only the single trigger.

Do you recall if your Mosin Nagant 91/30 had a bolt handle that stuck straight out to the side, or a handle that curved downwards?

Paul, perhaps I can point you in the right direction and somebody else can give you the actual names. The investigator who went to Dallas with voice stress equipment wrote a book afterwards and spent a great deal of

time on Hill because he thought that Hill was offered up to deflect researches and that his voice stress raised some real credibility issues. That book probably as as much insight on Hill as anything I have seen and it

might produce some leads...just can't recall the author or title.

The Assassination Tapes by George O'Toole?...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-assassination-tapes-electronic-Kennedy/dp/0891100008

The double triggers, or "match" triggers, were only installed on 91/41's intended for competition shooting. M91/41's intended for frontline troops had only the single trigger.

Do you recall if your Mosin Nagant 91/30 had a bolt handle that stuck straight out to the side, or a handle that curved downwards?

Robert,

I believe mine stuck straight out to the side.

--Tommy :sun

You would have had the garden variety of 91/30 then. If the bolt handle had curved downward, it would have been a sniper's rifle. While the scope mount was offset to the left side of the receiver, as it was on C2766, the Mosin Nagant did not have the en bloc clip that had to be loaded straight from the top on the Carcano. On the MN, it was possible to bring the left mounted scope mount back over the top of the receiver. The only thing in the way then was the straight bolt handle that stood vertically on extraction, which they bent downward.

600px-Russian_M91_30_PU_Sniper_003.jpg

Two better views of the unusual but ingenious scope mount.

62522-mosin-nagant9130sniperriflewithsco

a1.jpg

You would have had the garden variety of 91/30 then. If the bolt handle had curved downward, it would have been a sniper's rifle. While the scope mount was offset to the left side of the receiver, as it was on C2766, the Mosin Nagant did not have the en bloc clip that had to be loaded straight from the top on the Carcano. On the MN, it was possible to bring the left mounted scope mount back over the top of the receiver. The only thing in the way then was the straight bolt handle that stood vertically on extraction, which they bent downward.

600px-Russian_M91_30_PU_Sniper_003.jpg

Two better views of the unusual but ingenious scope mount.

62522-mosin-nagant9130sniperriflewithsco

a1.jpg

Yes, I know.

Even though mine was a "garden variety" Mosin-Nagant 91/30 which cost me only $89 (on sale) at Big 5 Sporting Goods about ten years ago, it was, IMHO, pretty darn accurate.

Hi Tom

Yes, indeed, I do not doubt for a second it was an accurate rifle. It actually is a little difficult to ascertain whether snipers' rifles were 91/30's selected for their superior qualities, or if the snipers' weapons were just 91/30's drilled out for scope mounts and their bolt handles turned down.

Hi Tom

Yes, indeed, I do not doubt for a second it was an accurate rifle. It actually is a little difficult to ascertain whether snipers' rifles were 91/30's selected for their superior qualities, or if the snipers' weapons were just 91/30's drilled out for scope mounts and their bolt handles turned down.

Robert,

BTW, thanks for the photos. Bringin' back memories. Another thing we have in common is that I'm a gold prospector.

LOL Thomas, that is my one weakness. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, but one whisper of colour in a pan up some remote creek, and I'm a goner.

LOL Thomas, that is my one weakness. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, but one whisper of colour in a pan up some remote creek, and I'm a goner.

Yeah, I quit drinking, rolling my own "Bugler gold" cigarettes, and playing Texas Hold 'Em three years ago myself. I've got Medi Cal and Medi Care which I don't want to jeopardize, otherwise I'd seriously consider relocating my camper van to BC. Hitchhiked through there from La Jolla to Homer, Alaska in 1973. I remember the town of Hope, BC, where my ride dropped me off after we'd crossed the US - Canada border. It's too hot for me here in San Diego, and the gold in our local mountains (The Cuyamacas and the Lagunas) is too fine for me. I'd like to find some nuggets if you know what I mean. Got me a drywasher, a cheap Bounty Hunter metal detector (with a special 4" coil), a pan, a mobile "ham" radio, etc.

I'd have to get a connection to a satellite or something so I could still cause trouble on the JFK Assassination Debate forum. LOL

PS I think one reason the Mosin-Nagant 91/30's were so accurate was because they had such long barrels.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Very good Ian, that's it....perhaps anyone who has a copy might take a quick scan and make sure Hill is discussed as I recalled just as another check....

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately, I don't have my copy any more, I gave away most of my books on the assassination a few years ago to budding researchers. I do recall that O'Toole did have some odd encounters with the people he tracked down (R.D. Lewis sticks out in my memory), but I can't recall much about Hill. The book is certainly an interesting read whether you believe the voice analysis stuff or not!!

Very good Ian, that's it....perhaps anyone who has a copy might take a quick scan and make sure Hill is discussed as I recalled just as another check....

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately, I don't have my copy any more, I gave away most of my books on the assassination a few years ago to budding researchers. I do recall that O'Toole did have some odd encounters with the people he tracked down (R.D. Lewis sticks out in my memory), but I can't recall much about Hill. The book is certainly an interesting read whether you believe the voice analysis stuff

The index shows Hills name repeatedly. It's a bit late for me to read all the pages. If you want me to do so, just let me know

Nick

Yeah, I quit drinking, rolling my own "Bugler gold" cigarettes, and playing Texas Hold 'Em three years ago myself. I've got Medi Cal and Medi Care which I don't want to jeopardize, otherwise I'd seriously consider relocating my camper van to BC. Hitchhiked through there from La Jolla to Homer, Alaska in 1973. I remember the town of Hope, BC, where my ride dropped me off after we'd crossed the US - Canada border. It's too hot for me here in San Diego, and the gold in our local mountains (The Cuyamacas and the Lagunas) is too fine for me. I'd like to find some nuggets if you know what I mean. Got me a drywasher, a cheap Bounty Hunter metal detector (with a special 4" coil), a pan, a mobile "ham" radio, etc.

I'd have to get a connection to a satellite or something so I could still cause trouble on the JFK Assassination Debate forum. LOL

PS I think one reason the Mosin-Nagant 91/30's were so accurate was because they had such long barrels.

1973 was the year I finished high school, left Saskatchewan and came to BC. Those were good days, before internet, satellite TV and cell phones. I was a brakeman on the Canadian Pacific Railroad in the early 70's, riding the locomotives up the Fraser Canyon across the river from the town of Hope.

There is still lots of gold to be found each summer on the rivers in this province, when the waters drop and the gravel bars are exposed. Where I'm living now, though, there is not much in the creeks, but we have an ocean beach some 30 miles long where winter storms build massive waves that deposit lenses of pure black sand on the beaches. These lenses are very rich in gold (one assay worked out to 1.5 ounces per cubic yard) but the gold and black sand will all go through a 100 mesh screen, and much of the gold is smaller than that. Miners have just about gone mad trying to recover these tiny flakes. I'm working on a process right now that uses chlorine bleach, reduced to a pH of about 8.5 and with salt added as a chloride. Not as much fun as panning nuggets, though, but could be very profitable.

Edited by Robert Prudhomme