The Education Forum

A Few Questions regarding:

From Crossfire: The Plot that Killed Kennedy...

(Deputy Sheriff Roger) Craig said just after the motorcade turned on Elm Street, he heard a shot and began running towards Dealey Plaza. He ran down the grassy incline between Main and Elm Street and saw a Dallas police officer run up the Grassy Knoll and go behind the picket fence near the railroad yards. Craig followed, noting "complete confusion and hysteria" behind the fence. He began to question people when he noticed a woman in her early thirties attempting to drive out of the parking lot. Craig recalled:

"I stopped her, identified herself, and placed her under arrest.... This parking lot was leased by Dallas deputy sheriff B. D. Gossett. He, in turn, rented parking spaces by the month to the deputies who worked in the courthouse, except for official vehicles. I rented one of these spaces..., I paid Gossett three dollars a month and was given a key to the lot. An interesting point is that... the only people having access to it were deputies with keys... How did this woman gain access, and what is more important, who was she and why did she have to leave? I turned her over to deputy sheriff C. L. "Lummie" Lewis and.... [he] told me he would take her to Sheriff Decker and take care of her car.... I had no way of knowing that an officer with whom I had worked for four years was capable of losing a thirty-year-old woman and a three-thousand-pound automobile. To this day Officer Lewis does not know who she was, where she came from, or what happened to her. Strange!" (emphasis added)

Does anyone know if Craig ever said what kind of car the woman was driving? Or exactly where it was in the lot? Was there a lockable gate at the parking lot end end of the Elm Street extention? Were there any other entrance/exit points? Does anyone know of a good map or plan or photograph of the COMPLETE parking lot and it immediate environs?

Thanks,

--Tommy

Edited by Thomas Graves

Thomas, there is i believe a well researched thread at the Lancer forum on the subject of the parking lot, for now all i have is this old post by jerry dealey, fwiw..below photo was taken in 67, i have never seen the photos mentioned by jerry, i will have a look through the parking lot file, for anything pertaining to.....b

Jerry Dealey Fri Jul-08-05 07:12 PM=20

Member since Jul 18th 2002=20

110 posts =20

=20

#32510, "RE: Locked gate at parking lot?"

In response to Reply # 23

=20

=20

Gary Mack did respond to me, and said that =

a Times Herald photographer took a picture of policemen talking with a =

lady that was trying to leave the parking lot. He said it was right in =

front of the TSBD looking west, and there appeared to be a "sliding =

gate" there. He said it was on the Internet somewhere, but I could not =

find it.

I cannot see one on the Elm St Extension, from either =

above, or any other photos. However it could be alongside the TSBD =

extension.

The photos I posted, with the sign, appear to be =

further back, to the north of the parking that is accessible from the =

Elm Extension. It appears that you went over a railroad track, with a =

number of buildings (sheds) along it, and the chain link fence I see in =

the photos, along with the sign, is there.

Maybe the Railroad workers parked in one area, and the =

Deputies in another, and the TSBD in another. I would think the Railroad =

workers parked in the area accessible from the Elm St Extension, because =

it was later determined that the TSBD Annex was actually on Railroad =

property (why it was torn down). But all of the land back to Pacific =

avenue, where the tracks go over Stemmons (see....I almost said the =

RIVER....my Dallas History got in the way again) was Railroad property, =

so that is no help either.

Maybe one of the Railroad people is still alive, and =

can help?

Respectfully,

Jerry Dealey

Edited by Bernice Moore

• 5 weeks later...

Thomas all I could find for now..fwtw..b

Thanks Bernice!

Now, a question for all forum members: Does anyone know if the Elm Street Extention was the only way to enter and exit the parking lot by car?

Thanks

--Tommy

PROBABLY, SURPRISED THE ANSWER IS NOT WITHIN THE LANCER THREADS ON SUCH, THE RR TRACKS WOULD BE IN THE WAY, TO SIMPLY RUN OVER THEM I WOULD THINK, AND AS WE KNOW THERE WAS A EMBANKMENT ON THE OTHER SIDE,recall the coat found down the embankment and some info somewhere about a car parked down there, also no road leading out ever mentioned...as far as i know, PERHAPS SOMEONE WILL HAVE THE POSTED INFO HANDY..B..sorry darn caps thought i unlocked them...:o

• 4 months later...

Thomas all I could find for now..fwtw..b

Thanks Bernice!

Now, a question for all forum members: Does anyone know if the Elm Street Extention was the only way to enter and exit the parking lot by car?

Thanks

--Tommy

PROBABLY, SURPRISED THE ANSWER IS NOT WITHIN THE LANCER THREADS ON SUCH, THE RR TRACKS WOULD BE IN THE WAY, TO SIMPLY RUN OVER THEM I WOULD THINK, AND AS WE KNOW THERE WAS A EMBANKMENT ON THE OTHER SIDE,recall the coat found down the embankment and some info somewhere about a car parked down there, also no road leading out ever mentioned...as far as i know, PERHAPS SOMEONE WILL HAVE THE POSTED INFO HANDY..B..sorry darn caps thought i unlocked them...:o

(Sorry. I don't check out here as often as I should.)

No. There was also a dirt road that ran next to the tracks, on the north side of the TSBD. It ran over to Houston St., which in Nov 1963, was being made into a curved paved street to Ross. They opened the curved Houston St. to Ross in Dec '63.