The Education Forum

Nixon Operative Roger Stone on JFK Assassination: "LBJ had it done. Mob, CIA, Hoover, all in on it. RFK knew. So did Nixon."

Guest Robert Morrow

Oh, come on -- y'all can't prove a CIA murder plot against JFK, so now you want to blunder through not proving a CIA murder plot against Nixon?

Stick to one case at a time, people. Try to solve the JFK murder first. It's only been a half-century -- c'mon -- you can do it.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, come on -- y'all can't prove a CIA murder plot against JFK, so now you want to blunder through not proving a CIA murder plot against Nixon?

Stick to one case at a time, people. Try to solve the JFK murder first. It's only been a half-century -- c'mon -- you can do it.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

If a criminal (CIA) does more than one crime (POTUS KILLING) one looks at a pattern. McCord and Hunt wouldnt act as ROGUES. If you understood the personality of McCord you would know that he would never do anything unless ordered to do so. Said orders of a NIXON killing to McCord would come from high up in the CIA chain of command. If a criminal (CIA) does more than one crime (POTUS KILLING) one looks at a pattern. Thus said pattern indicares that high level CIA people can order POTUS killing and therefore the JFK killing by the CIA by the upper CIA levels seems a very sound logical proposition.Part of the Nixon Houston plan indicated that the POTUS would take control of the CIA (and upgrading other intell actors with more POTUS (Nixon's) controll). From Nixon's planned action the CIA reacts with POTUS killing plan . JFK wants to break CIA into a thousand pieces and CIA reacts with POTUS killing.......pattern.

Edited by Steven Gaal

If a criminal (CIA) does more than one crime (POTUS KILLING) one looks at a pattern. McCord and Hunt wouldnt act as ROGUES.

First of all, with regard to Nixon, you only have an allegation based on a rumor -- not a crime. So, no pattern.

...JFK wants to break CIA into a thousand pieces and CIA reacts with POTUS killing.......pattern.

Secondly, it is merely a leap of prejudice to presume that since JFK wanted to dismantle the CIA for its unforgiveable blunder at the Bay of Pigs, that the CIA would react by killing JFK. There is no proof to your leap, and therefore, no pattern, either.

Your logic appears to jump to conclusions based on prejudice. I realize, Steven, that many if not most of the major writers of the JFK Research Community have blamed the CIA for the murder of JFK. This includes Mark Lane, Jim Garrison, John Newman, Fletcher Prouty, Oliver Stone, Joan Mellen, and more recently, Larry Hancock and Bill Simpich. That's only a few of them.

So, admittedly, you have the majority on your side. Yet many of us have read all of their works -- every word -- and find no smoking gun. No final proof. No clear and hard evidence.

We see allegations based on rumors and political bias.

Also, one of the anti-CIA theorists, Bill Simpich, contradicted the entire anti-CIA movement -- whether he intended to do so or not -- by demonstrating with scientific rigor that the CIA high-command had no idea who among its staff *impersonated* Lee Harvey Oswald over a wire-tapped telephone in Mexico City on 28 September 1963.

Bill Simpich carefully traced a mole-hunt within the CIA based on this question, thus demonstrating conclusively that the CIA high-command was not involved in the strenous effort to FRAME Lee Harvey Oswald as a Communist officer of the FPCC.

So -- the evidence against the CIA high-command in the murder of JFK is based on rumor, while the evidence absolving the CIA high-command of that plot is based on material evidence.

On the other hand, we have actual confessions of people involved. Here are the people who confessed:

1. David Sanchez Morales (CIA Officer) -- via his best friend, Ruben Carbajal

2. E. Howard Hunt (CIA Officer) -- in his famous deathbed confession

3. Johnny Roselli (Mafia thug)

4. Frank Sturgis (mercenary)

5. Gerry Patrick Hemming (mercenary) -- to A.J. Weberman

6. John Martino (mercenary)

7. Loran Hall (mercenary) -- in his exclamation about Santos Traficante

8. Thomas Edward Beckham (mercenary) -- to Joan Mellen

9. Harry Dean (JBS) -- to Joe Pyne in 1965

10. Lee Harvey Oswald (mercenary) -- when he screamed, "I'm Just a Patsy!"

While the first two on this list were CIA Officers, E. Howard Hunt confessed only to being "on the sidelines" and he named David Morales and Frank Sturgis as his only contacts.

Note that of all ten on this list, only two were CIA Officers. All the rest were mercenaries or JBS-related.

The JBS-related confessor, Harry Dean, is connected directly with Loran Hall, Larry Howard and Guy Gabaldon through the JBS. This is a direct link to Gerry Patrick Hemming as well as to resigned General Edwin Walker; another JBS bigwig.

You're right that the CIA Officers were conditioned to take orders. But people like Edwin Walker were conditioned to give orders.

In the early days of the Warren Commission, Edwin Walker was a suspect in the murder of JFK. Walker is mentioned more than 500 times in the Warren Commission volumes. He is almost forgotten today.

The two CIA Officers involved in the JFK murder were ROGUES. Bill Simpich practically proved this.

Thus, we must seek the JFK Kill Team leaders among US civilians. With Guy Banister and Edwin Walker we have political and paramilitary leaders who were completely capable of organizing the entire JFK murder in Dallas, step by step and inch by inch.

If we seek a pattern, we should look at the behavior of Edwin Walker from 1959 (when he joined the JBS) through 1961 (when he became the only US General to resign in the 20th century) to 1962 when he lost his campaign for Texas Governor, and decided instead to start a riot at Ole Miss University, where hundreds were wounded and two were killed, because a Black Student had sued for entrance there. Walker was acquitted in Mississippi in January 1963, only because the Civil Rights movement was considered an enemy in Mississippi. Walker vowed revenge on JFK at that time. On 24 October 1963, Edwin Walker led the Dallas right-wing in a humiliating attack on UN Ambassador Adlai Stevenson. There's the pattern.

Edwin Walker would not let JFK escape from Dallas alive, because for any JBS true-believer, JFK was a COMMUNIST.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

First of all, with regard to Nixon, you only have an allegation based on a rumor -- not a crime. So, no pattern. //Paul Trejo

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NO RUMOR

Such FBI tactics created the feud between the Eldridge Cleaver and
Huey Newton factions of the Black Panther Party, according to a high
bureau official. In Los Angeles, the FBI worked with the police department
to support Ron Karenga, the leader of a black nationalist organization
that was feuding with the Panthers. Two Panther activists were killed
in a shootout at UCLA in 1969, for which five Karenga supporters were
subsequently indicted, and three convicted. Louis Tackwood, an LAPD
agent-provocateur who went public in 1971, says that the LAPD gave
Karenga money, guns, narcotics, and encouragement.[8]

===
1963 assassination of President Kennedy. Jose Romero, soldier of fortune, approached by hired assassination team from the U.S. which planned to kill Kennedy during his 1961 visit to France. Romero definitely remembers Frank Sturgis as one of the representatives from the U.S. James McCord, according to Louis Tackwood, was in Dallas the day Kennedy was shot, and flown afterwards to the Carribean. The National Archives have FBI reports indicating Frank Sturgis a friend of Lee Harvey Oswald and David Ferrie. Sturgis had a Miami arsenal of weapons, and original plans were to kill JFK in Miami in 1963.
====
G. Gordon Liddy received campaign funds to determine what to do if the crazies made an attack on the President.
Louis Tackwood, agent provocateur 9 years with the Los Angeles Police, was hired to join this White House espionage squad for planned violence in San Diego. Those plans included "getting Nixon" after martial law was declared.
==
In The Glass House Tapes, Tackwood is quoted as saying: “I’m giving up only two names. There’s ‘Martin’, and there’s ‘White’. Aright, now, ‘Martin’ was the code name for my contact, and I’m gonna tell you he’s C.I.A., all the way. Are you ready for this? He was in Dallas when they got Kennedy; he left out of there for the Caribbean.” Martin and White were names allegedly used by James McCord and Howard Hunt.

(Glass House Tapes)

===

According to Roger Stone's 2014 book Nixon's Secrets, Sturgis was involved in a failed CIA plot to assassinate President Richard Nixon.[23] Stone claimed that the CIA and Joint Chiefs of Staff were motivated to assassinate Nixon because they opposed his desire to withdraw troops from Vietnam.....Shortly before the book's release in August 2014, Stone told MailOnline that the source of the allegations was Howard Liebengood, the minority counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee in the 1970s.[23]

[23] Martosko, David (August 7, 2014). "The CIA hatched two plots to assassinate Nixon and sabotaged the Watergate break-in because they didn't want the Vietnam war to end, claims explosive new book". Mail Online (Associated Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved August 7, 2014.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

============================================
In taped conversations with Haldeman, Nixon is obviously worried about what would happen if Hunt's involvement in the Watergate conspiracy came to light. Nixon says, "Of course, this Hunt, that will uncover a lot of things. You open that scab, there's a hell of a lot of things, and we feel that it would be very detrimental to have this thing go any further ... the President's belief is that this is going to open the whole Bay of Pigs thing up again." Click to Listen: President Nixon instructs Haldeman on what to tell the CIA (text below)

NIXON: When you get in to see these people, say: "Look, the problem is that this will open the whole, the whole Bay of Pigs thing, and the President just feels that..." ah, I mean, without going into the details of, of lying to them to the extent to say that there is no involvement. But, you can say, "This is sort of a comedy of errors, bizarre," without getting into it, "The President's belief is that this is going to open the whole Bay of Pigs thing up again. And, ah because ah these people are playing for, for keeps and that they should call the FBI in and we feel that ... that we wish for the country, don't go any further into this case, period!"

Following instructions, Haldeman informed CIA Director Richard Helms of President Nixon's concern that the Watergate investigation would "open the whole Bay of Pigs thing up again." Haldeman gives this account of what transpired next:

"Turmoil in the room. Helms, gripping the arms of his chair, leaning forward and shouting, 'The Bay of Pigs had nothing to do with this. I have no concern about the Bay of Pigs.'

"Silence. I just sat there. I was absolutely shocked by Helms' violent reaction. Again I wondered, what was such dynamite in the Bay of Pigs story?"

Edited by Steven Gaal

Steven, you have shared above a blend of eye-witness claims and mere rumor.

I have no doubt that a mercenary like Jose Romero would be approached by people claiming to be a "hired JFK hit team", because clearly many mercenaries in the USA were similarly approached in 1961-1963. Loran Hall was so approached. Gerry Patrick Hemming was so approached. That list is long.

Harry Dean says that talk of killing JFK was daily conversation among the right-wing. Gerry Hemming said that he would never mention the names he knew, because there were so many FAKE teams taking money and promising rich people (like Mafia dons) that they would kill JFK, that when JFK was finally murdered, nobody knew exactly whose money actually paid for the murder.

Therefore, everybody who chipped in money to murder JFK (and that might be hundreds and hundreds of people) were paranoid that their name might become public. Therefore, said Hemming, some of these FAKE teams would then go back and try to blackmail the money donors that they would tell the Media their names, unless they came up with more money. So, said Hemming, the underground saw a rise in murder-for-hire in 1964, as these paranoid money donors then hired Mafia hit-men to rub out the blackmailers!

Things were so dangerous for that reason, even into the 1990's, that Gerry Patrick Hemming wouldn't dare suggest to anybody that he was ready to give out names -- even though he knew the names of the real JFK killers.

They were indeed mercenaries who were knee-deep inside the Cuban Exile Anti-Castro movement (just as the HSCA said), as well as their American, civilian leaders.

I also believe Romero when he said that he remembered Frank Sturgis in the context of these JFK hit team recruitment efforts. This is very believable because Frank Sturgis confessed, and he was admittedly associated with Gerry Patrick Hemming and with David Morales (and John Martino) during this period.

HOWEVER -- Romero did not name anybody else -- although your unreliable source, Louis Tackwood, then goes on to name CIA Officer James McCord in the next sentence, trying to forge a connection.

I have little doubt that Frank Sturgis was associated with David Ferrie and Lee Harvey Oswald during the summer of 1963 there in New Orlenans. There near the Cuban Exile paramilitary training camps in New Orleans, Frank Sturgis also would have encountered Guy Banister (the local boss), Clay Shaw (the money man), Gerry Patrick Hemming (mercenary), Loran Hall (mercenary), Larry Howard (mercenary) as well as many mercenaries and activists among Cuban Exiles, like Ed Butler (INCA) and Carlos Bringuier (DRE). That much is fairly certain.

It is also possible (and worth researching) that Frank Sturgis in New Orleans in 1963 also met Guy Gabaldon and the resigned General Edwin Walker. Walker traveled to Lousiana frequently. Guy Gabaldon had offices in Southern California as well as Mexico City, as well as his own, private airplane.

Now, E. Howard Hunt already confessed -- so we know he was part of the JFK murder (on the sidelines) and Mark Lane has already identified his "sideline" role -- namely, as Marita Lorenz testified, Howard Hunt brought the cash to Gerry Patrick Hemming and Frank Sturgis and others in this mercenary group to buy illegal weapons for allegedly Anti-Communist raids -- but also possibly for the ultimate Anti-Communist Raid (as defined by the JBS) to murder JFK, the number one Communist in the world.

But James McCord? We have only Tackwood's innuendo about that. Just his guess that "Martin" was his alias and that "Martin" was in Dallas on the day JFK was killed.

By the way, just because a CIA Officer was in Dallas on the day JFK was killed, that doesn't automatically prove that he was part of the JFK Kill Team. It is only political bias that asserts that.

I don't mind people researching it, and digging out the facts, but to jump to a conclusion based only on alleged presence in Dallas is unacceptable, IMHO. You just gotta come up with more solid evidence, that's all.

So, Tackwood jumps to conclusions. And what about Roger Stone? From him we get a massive batch of data comprised of political bias, rumor and innuendo.

And then you cite David Martoso (9/7/14) who published his opinion that "the CIA hatched two plots to assassinate Nixon and sabotaged the Watergate break-in because they didn't want the Vietnam war to end."

Whatever.

Granted, my position is complicated because I accept part of Jim Garrison's work, and I reject part of it. I greatly admire Jim Garrison, who almost solved the JFK murder, single-handedly. Sadly, Garrison ultimately missed the mark, and for the rest of his life he blamed the CIA.

(The situation reminds me of the 19th century philosopher, GWF Hegel, who admired his predecessor, Immanuel Kant, for almost solving the problem of metaphysics single-handedly, but unfortunately Kant missed the mark and for the rest of his life claimed that human beings can never know for sure the truth about God. Hegel gladly accepted Kant's research and language, but fiercely rejected Kant's conclusions.)

I can accept Jim Garrison's research and especially his list of suspects -- some of whom confessed (and I forgot to mention mercenaries Jack S. Martin and David Ferrie in my list of confessors above). I praise Jim Garrison to high heaven for that breakthrough. However, I totally reject Garrison's frustrated decision to blame the CIA for the whole mess.

I've read probably every rumor out there that blames the CIA, Steven, and the rumors aren't believable. What we get are innuendo, circumstantial happenstance -- and naked political prejudice.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

HOWEVER -- Romero did not name anybody else -- although your unreliable source, Louis Tackwood, then goes on to name CIA Officer James McCord in the next sentence, trying to forge a connection // PT

==================

Tackwood 9 year LAPD informant (seem reliable enough for LAPD)

==================

And then you cite David Martoso (9/7/14) who published his opinion that "the CIA hatched two plots to assassinate Nixon and sabotaged the Watergate break-in because they didn't want the Vietnam war to end." //PT

==================

(REASON I ALREADY PUT IN RED COLOR + YET YOU MISSED IT + YE OLD FAMOUS TREJO PREJUDICE ?? + SEEMS NIXON PLOTS REAL + minority counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee in the 1970s = source

Stone claimed that the CIA and Joint Chiefs of Staff were motivated to assassinate Nixon because they opposed his desire to withdraw troops from Vietnam.....Shortly before the book's release in August 2014, Stone told MailOnline that the source of the allegations was Howard Liebengood, the minority counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee in the 1970s.[23]

===================

MOTIVE TO HURT NIXON

Richard Ober, a James Jesus Arrington protégé, had an office in the White House. He developed a very close relationship to Nixon and had unrestricted access to Nixon. Some have theorized that it was then that Ober learned that Nixon was determined to damage the C.I.A..

Whatever.(copyright Paul Trejo)

===================

James DiEugenio says::

Phillips is one of the most utterly fascinating suspects in the JFK case.

Simply take for example the fact that he and McCord ran the CIA’s counterintelligence program against the FPCC. I mean, does that not suggest that he (Phillips) may have been involved with what Oswald was doing in New Orleans in the summer of 1963? For the simple reason that too many people saw Oswald either at 544 Camp Street or with Banister and/or Ferrie. In Destiny Betrayed, I listed over ten witnesses who were credible on this issue. Including people like Bill Gaudet and Vernon Gerdes and Allen Campbell. (See pages 110-113) Therefore, if Oswald was an undercover agent against the FPCC, which he has all the earmarks of being, then Phillips likely knew what he was doing.

Then there is Phillips in Mexico City. And how he and Goodpasture controlled the daily take from the target embassies. And how the declassified ARRB files reveal that Phillips mailed the Oswald trasncripts to himself at Langley under a false name . Not to mention the fact that the Lopez Report catches Phillips in at least three lies. One of the things Hardway revealed in PIttsburgh was that the HSCA prepared two indictments for perjury about Mexico CIty, one for Phillips and one for Goodpasture. Did anyone see this on the MSM during the 50th?

One of the most ridiculous things about the WR and volumes is that Phillips’ name is not in the nearly 19,000 pages of materials. I mean, this may have been the guy managing Oswald at a mid level in the months leading up to the assassination.

Then there is the Veciana story about the SOuthland building and the story about Phillips’ last call to his brother. And the incredible confession at UCLA with Mark Lane, that when all was in, there was no evidence about Oswald being at the Soviet Embassy. I mean he should know since Lopez told me that Phillips and Goodpasture were as tight as Mutt and Jeff in Mexico City.

If there was ever a guy who you needed every bit of paper on declassified its this guy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

one dirty hand washes another (copyright Steven Gaal)

James McCord provides an alibi for E. Howard Hunt - JFK ...

educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13289
James McCord provides an alibi for E. Howard Hunt - posted in JFK
Assassination Debate: In an interview he gave to Dan Schultz on 17th ...
========================
========================
Ehrlichman later told Haldeman that Nixon’s references to the Bay of Pigs was code for the Kennedy assassination. Nixon knew immediately after the break-in that the Cubans who were with McCord at the Watergate were tied to the Bay of Pigs, and he told Haldeman this was a fact.
#########################
In 1969 he (McCord) ran the physical security and technical divisions of the Office of Security, which reported directly to the Director of Central Intelligence. McCord could open the safes at the CIA ..... A highly trusted CIA man,who ran around with ROGUES in POTUS hit ??? A better explanation of McCord is that he worked in a high level POTUS hit and ROGUES in the mix could be used to cover high level operational approval.
Edited by Steven Gaal

James DiEugenio says::

May 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Phillips is one of the most utterly fascinating suspects in the JFK case.

Simply take for example the fact that he and McCord ran the CIA’s counterintelligence program against the FPCC. I mean, does that not suggest that he (Phillips) may have been involved with what Oswald was doing in New Orleans in the summer of 1963? For the simple reason that too many people saw Oswald either at 544 Camp Street or with Banister and/or Ferrie. In Destiny Betrayed, I listed over ten witnesses who were credible on this issue. Including people like Bill Gaudet and Vernon Gerdes and Allen Campbell. (See pages 110-113) Therefore, if Oswald was an undercover agent against the FPCC, which he has all the earmarks of being, then Phillips likely knew what he was doing.

Then there is Phillips in Mexico City. And how he and Goodpasture controlled the daily take from the target embassies. And how the declassified ARRB files reveal that Phillips mailed the Oswald trasncripts to himself at Langley under a false name . Not to mention the fact that the Lopez Report catches Phillips in at least three lies. One of the things Hardway revealed in PIttsburgh was that the HSCA prepared two indictments for perjury about Mexico CIty, one for Phillips and one for Goodpasture. Did anyone see this on the MSM during the 50th?

One of the most ridiculous things about the WR and volumes is that Phillips’ name is not in the nearly 19,000 pages of materials. I mean, this may have been the guy managing Oswald at a mid level in the months leading up to the assassination.

Then there is the Veciana story about the SOuthland building and the story about Phillips’ last call to his brother. And the incredible confession at UCLA with Mark Lane, that when all was in, there was no evidence about Oswald being at the Soviet Embassy. I mean he should know since Lopez told me that Phillips and Goodpasture were as tight as Mutt and Jeff in Mexico City.

If there was ever a guy who you needed every bit of paper on declassified its this guy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, Steve, at least you post an interesting quotation from James DiEugenio.

I totally agree that David Atlee Phillips (alias Maurice Bishop) is an extremely interesting suspect in the JFK murder. However -- I've yet to find a smoking gun on him. Still, he is very close to many of the principals whom I've named and who've already confessed.

David Atlee Phillips was close to David Sanchez Morales (CIA Officer), E. Howard Hunt (CIA Officer) and many paramilitary members of the Cuban Exile community in the USA. It was in the context of one such group, Alpha 66 and its leader, Antonio Veciana, that Phillips was seen with Lee Harvey Oswald. The context was for a plot to kill Fidel Castro, and while in Dallas, Phillips introduced Oswald to Veciana as a valuable resource.

Now, DiEugenio wants to speculate on a wider connection -- not with facts, but with speculations. Let's follow his thinking.

(1) DiEugenio notes that Phillips and CIA officer James McCord ran the CIA’s counter-intelligence program against the FPCC.

We know from the findings of Jim Garrison that Lee Harvey Oswald was the leader of a fake FPCC in New Orleans, with a totally fake membership, using the address of Guy Banister, an ex-FBI Agent and an openly racist political figure in Lousiana in the early 1960's. It was on the basis of this fake FPCC set-up that Jim Garrison nearly solved the JFK murder case.

So DiEugenio raises good questions -- could the CIA have been ignorant of Guy Banister's New Orleans operation against the FPCC? Better yet, could the CIA have been involved in it?

While DiEugenio in his book, Destiny Betrayed, (2012), listed many additional people who would vouch for the findings of Jim Garrison regarding the relationship of Oswald and Banister, the groundwork was laid in 1968 by Jim Garrison and remains the starting point for all of us today. The FPCC in New Orleans was totally fake.

Yet DiEugenio offers no further evidence to connect Phillips with Guy Banister and Lee Harvey Oswald in this regard -- he simply concludes, "Phillips likely knew what he was doing."

Well, not necessarily.

Guy Banister (as Jim Garrison showed) was deliberately grooming Lee Harvey Oswald to be the patsy in a JFK murder case. Phillips was hoping to use Lee Harvey Oswald to kill Fidel Castro. When we read the quasi-fiction book written by David Atlee Phillips, Night Watch (1977), Phillips suggests that he was training Lee Harvey Oswald in his project to kill Fidel Castro, but then Oswald got diverted into a project to kill JFK.

So, it is entirely plausible that Guy Banister was also keeping his JFK Kill Team secret from David Atlee Phillips and from the whole FBI and the whole CIA high-command.

Based on this, one can at most claim that Phillips was an "accessory after the fact." That is, Phillips probably knew about other people who were handling Lee Harvey Oswald in Louisiana -- so why didn't he report them to the Warren Commission as likely suspects? His silence at the very least makes Phillips guilty of the Cover-up in the JFK murder.

Yet the whole US Government took part in the Cover-up in the JFK murder, quite deliberately. It was a matter of National Security, they said -- and they had to push Hoover's mythology of the Lone Gunman, even though the members in the Warren Commission themselves knew that to be incorrect. So, Phillips is off the hook for the Cover-up.

(2) DiEugenio asks us to suspect David Atlee Phillips because of the high position Phillips and his administrative assistant, Anne Goodpasture, held in the heavily wire-tapped Mexico City consulates.

Here DiEugenio speaks about the very topic covered in greater detail in the book by Bill Simpich, State Secret (2014), which shows how the *impersonations* of Duran and Oswald in wire-tapped phone calls were immediately transcribed by the CIA, and declared to be *impersonations* by unknown subjects attempting to link the name of Lee Harvey Oswald with the name of KGB Agent Valery Kostikov.

Bill Simpich shows (using declassified CIA files) that the CIA high-command didn't know who impersonated Oswald, but immediately started a mole-hunt to try to find the *impersonators*. DiEugenio, on the other hand, simply relates the fact that declassified CIA files also show that David Atlee Phillips mailed these transcripts to himself at CIA Headquarters in Washington DC, using a false name.

DiEugenio asks us to suspect -- on that basis -- that David Atlee Phillips was therefore part of the *impersonation* Team in Mexico City, which was clearly trying to FRAME Lee Harvey Oswald as an FPCC Communist (presumably in cooperation with Guy Banister in New Orleans). But no further facts are given -- only the suspicion.

It is just as likely that Phillips sent the files to himself using a false name merely as part of the mole-hunt procedure.

(3) DiEugenio also notes that the Lopez Report caught David Atlee Phillips in at least three lies. Excuse me, but if a CIA officer isn't lying, then he probably isn't doing his job.

(4) Nor is it any surprise that Phillips wouldn't be named in the Warren Report -- because Hoover's Myth of the Lone Shooter was the mandatory outcome of that massive Cover-up. Again, however, the Cover-up was not intended merely to conceal the guilty -- it was intended to prevent a National Security disaster.

(5) As for Phillips’ last call to his brother -- when he basically admits he was in Dealey Plaza on 11/22/1963 -- I will admit that this is profoundly suspicious. I will, therefore, keep David Atlee Phillips on my list of suspects.

Neverthless, I now have a list of a dozen people who CONFESSED, and that is far more valuable, IMHO, as a starting point to solve the JFK murder case.

In summary, it seems to me that James DiEugenio can be criticized for failing to distinguish the JFK Kill Team from the JFK Cover-up Team. Further, DiEugenio's work in 2012 couldn't be expected to know about the breakthrough that Bill Simpich would release in 2014.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

[...]

(5) As for Phillips’ last call to his brother -- when he basically admits he was in Dealey Plaza on 11/22/1963 -- I will admit that this is profoundly suspicious. I will, therefore, keep David Atlee Phillips on my list of suspects.

[...]

I know that many "researchers" think the guy crossing the street near the left edge of this photo by Cancellare is E. Howard Hunt, but I'm beginning to suspect that the guy was David Atlee Phillips, instead.

DPafter.jpg

[...]

Neverthless, I now have a list of a dozen people who CONFESSED, and that is far more valuable, IMHO, as a starting point to solve the JFK murder case.

[...]

Lots of people have "confessed". James Files comes to mind.

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

It is also of interest that a McCord connection to the JFK case was alluded to by Nagell in one of his "cryptograms" to Art Greenstein. This was long before anything surfaced about McCord being connected to Philips on an FPCC operation. As we know, Nagell has a reference to the FPCC (as well as the Cuban Embassy in Mexico City's phone number) in the notebook the FBI seized from him on September 20, 1963. // Dick Russell

==

http://jfkfacts.org/assassination/jfk-most-wanted-dave-phillips-cia-files/

David Phillips was a failed actor turned expatriate newspaper publisher in Santiago, Chile when he was recruited into the CIA in the early 1950s. He made his mark fast. In 1955, he won a Distinguished Intelligence Medal, one of the agency’s highest honors, for mounting deceptive radio broadcasts in the CIA’s overthrow of the democratically elected government of Guatemala in 1954.

After that his CIA career took off. With Howard Hunt, Phillips served as propaganda chief in the CIA’s failed effort to invade Cuba at the Bay of Pigs In April 1961. When he was assigned to Mexico City in 1962, station chief Win Scott described him as “the finest covert action officer I have ever met.”

After JFK’s assassination, Scott was not so complimentary and I suspect the reason why was Oswald’s curious handling of Oswald. .(I tell the story in my biography of Scott, Our Man in Mexico. Buy it here.)

Phillips on Oswald

Philllips is a significant figure because there is no dispute that he was informed about about Oswald’s travels and politics before JFK was killed.

Working undercover in Mexico City in 1963, Phillips oversaw CIA photo and audio surveillance of the Cuban diplomatic offices in Mexico City. When Oswald contacted the Cuban consulate on September 27, 1963, Phillips was informed with a couple of days.

Phillips told several contradictory stories what he knew about Oswald and when he knew it.

In his 1977 memoir, Nightwatch, Phillips described Oswald’s visit as a “just another blip on the station’s radar screen. It did not seem important when we first noticed it.” (p. 239)

In November 1976, he added remarkable details not in the book that suggested Oswald was more than a “blip.” He told Ron Kessler of the Washington Post and Daniel Gillmore of the United Press International agency that Oswald had offered his services to the Cubans during his visit to the consulate.

According to Kessler’s story, Phillips said that Oswald said, “I have information you would be interested in I know you can pay my way.”

In Gillmore’s article, Phillips was quoted as saying, “I have the recollection hazy after fourteen years that Oswald intimated that he had information that might be useful to the Soviets and Cuba, and that he hoped to be provided with free transportation to Russia via Cuba.”

According to Kessler’s story, Phillips said that Oswald had said, “I have information you would be interested in. I know you can pay my way.”

The implication was not that Oswald had acted in concert with the Soviets or the Cubans.

The next day, Phillips was questioned, under oath, by Richard Sprague, the general counsel of the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA). Sprague asked to confirm the quotes and he backtracked.

fonzi.jpg

Gaeton Fonzi (Credit: Gordon Winslow)

“I think I may have said that or something near to it, but what I intended to convey was that Mr. Kessler was saying, well, is that the idea and I said yes, that was the idea,” he replied. (Here’s Phillips HSCA Nov. 27, 1976 deposition; see p. 40)

There is no transcript of a phone call that corroborates Phillips’ claim and, by the end of the deposition, he had all but retracted the story he told the two reporters. HSCA general counsel Richard Sprague observed to Phillips “to some degree you have slithered around what are quotes by people in the news media.” (See p. 92).

If Oswald was a lone psychopath, why would tell Phllips such different stories on consecutive days? You can speculate about the answers. What seems indisputable is that Phillips did not give a coherent account of his pre-assassination knowledge of Oswald.

Phillips’s inconsistent, inaccurate, and evasive answers to questions about Oswald, prompted HSCA investigator Gaeton Fonzi to allege in his book The Last Investigation that Phillips was guilty of perjury in the case of the murdered president.

Fonzi’s belief was fortified by the credible but uncorroborated story of Antonio Veciana who worked with the CIA in 1963. Veciana said he saw Phillips in the company of Oswald in Dallas in September 1963.

Phillips and assassination

After JFK’s assassination, Phillips went on to become the chief of CIA operations in Latin America. Upon his retirement in 1975, he established himself as one of the most prominent public defenders of the CIA. To defend the agency’s reputation, he founded an organization, the Association of Foreign Intelligence Officers, which still exists today.

Phillips consistently denied that he was involved in Kennedy’s assassination and sued JFK authors who suggested he did. Late in life, Phillips told former HSCA investigator Kevin Walsh that he thought JFK was killed by unnamed “rogue” CIA officers.

Phillips, who died in 1987, also knew how to arrange an assassination.

In 1998, the non-profit National Security Archive obtained and posted CIA documents showing that Phillips, at the direction of CIA director Richard Helms and President Nixon, had worked with ultra-right-wing Chilean military officers responsible for the assassination of General Rene Schneider in October 1970.

What is the CIA censoring?

A search of the online JFK database of the National Archives shows that the CIA retains four files containing 606 pages of material on Phillips,

This material is supposed to be made public in October 2017, though the CIA has the option to ask the President to delay release after that date.

I have a hunch that the withheld material likely includes documents about the conspiracy to kidnap and assassinate Gen. Schneider. It may also include revelatory material about Phillips and the events of 1963.

Screen-shot-2013-02-02-at-1.48.16-PM.png

National Archives list of David Phillips files that remain secret

################################
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
################################
With headquarters at 1799 Broadway in New York City, by November 20, 1960, the FPCC claimed 5,000 members. 18 The CIA’s Security Office then launched - under the orders of James McCord - a counterintelligence operation in the United States against the FPCC without the FBI’s permission. That is a subject to which we will return later.
Chapter Fourteen, Oswald Returns
p. 236:
McCord, Phillips, and CIA-FBI Operations Against the FPCC, 1961
The Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC) emerged at the same time that the Agency began serious operations against Castro. A July 15, 1960, Hoover memo to the State Department Office of Security tied - with the help of a fertile imagination - the pamphleting activities of the FPCC at the Los Angeles Sports Arena to a Cuban government radio broadcast that ‘announced that Mexico should join Cuba in a revolution and reclaim Texas and New Mexico, which rightfully belonged to Mexico.’ 1.
[Note 1: ]
CIA interest in the FPCC and the chief of its New York chapter, Richard Gibson, was underscored by Gibson’s active involvement with Patrice Lumumba, the premier of newly independent Congo, Lumumba was ‘viewed with alarm by United States policymakers because of what they perceived as his magnetic public appeal and his leanings toward the Soviet Union.’ 2.
[Note 2: ]
Gibson’s support of Castro and Lumumba put him in a special category at the CIA: Both of these leaders had been targeted for assassination. 3.
[Note 3: ]
Gibson spoke to June Cobb about the work ‘his group’ was doing for Lumumba, according to the notes she wrote the morning after their conversation. The previous evening, Gibson had paid a visit to Cobb’s hotel room for a chat. Before long, he had consumed half a bottle of scotch, and their dialogue reflected it. Cobb’s notes contain this entry:
At every possible opportunity he sought to turn the conversation to sex, particularly involving sex between negroes and whites, for example: that Swedish girls are not kept satisfied by Swedish men since Swedish men are so often homosexual and that therefore there is a colony of Negroes and Italian in Sweden to satisfy the erotic crving of the Swedish girls. 4.
[Note 4: ]
But Gibson talked about more than Swedish cravings. He spoke about FPCC leaders, such as Bob Taber, and about the FPCC’s relationship with American communists. Presumably, Gibson did not know that June Cobb’s hotel room was part of a carefully prepared CIA surveillance operation, with CIA technicians in the next room, eavesdropping. Cobb’s notes of this encounter, preserved in her CIA 201 file, undoubtedly were not the only material produced, and must have been supplemented tapes, transcripts, and surveillance logs filled out by the surveillance team.
The CIA’s analysis of these materials is often entertaining reading, but for the individuals involved - Gibson, Cobb, and the surveillance technician on the other side of the wall - these were serious moments. Cuba had become part of the Cold War. A great deal was at stake. It was in the wake of Castro’s and Lumumba’s sudden emergence that Vice President Nixon had declared a crisis. It is not surprising that the CIA was interested in the FPCC and Richard Gibson. Ironically, their connection was destined to change: a few years after the Kennedy assassination, Gibson became an informant for the CIA. In 1960 and 1961, however, the CIA had its eyes on Gibson. Take, for example, this passage from a CIA report:
On the 27th [October 1960], Richard Gibson of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC), spent the evening with Cobb (drank half bottle scotch), and talked rather freely about the [FPCC] Committee. Said they ‘want to destroy the world.’ In the beginning they received $15,000 from the Cuban government. Their expenses amounted to about $1500 per month - always feast or famine - trying to get money from Cuba. Once had to sit down with Dorticos and Fidel Castro to get $5,000 the Committee needed. Gibson works closely with Raul Roa and little Raul - wanted Gibson to be Public Relations Officer for the Cuban Mission to the UN. 5
[Note 5 ]
Cobb was a valuable asset to the CIA because of her extensive knowledge about Latin American affairs and her personal relationships with many of the players and leaders. In this case, Gibson, already an intelligence target, seemed personally interested in Cobb, a weakness that had been turned to the advantage of the Agency ‘As far as I’m concerned,’ Gibson said to Cobb on the telephone the day after his visit, ‘I’m always awkward around pretty girls.’ Cobb filed this remark on October 26, 1960.
Through Gibson, the CIA learned important details of the policy, personnel, and Cuban financial backing of the FPCC. The CIA had carefully evaluated his background and his activities, as this extract from an Agency report demonstrates:
Gibson apparently received a Columbia fellowship from Columbia Broadcasting Company before he was ousted. Now they will not take it away from him because it would cause a scandal - he uses it as a cover for his work. FPCC is working in Africa and particularly with the Lamumba faction. Roa wants send Gibson to Africa since money from Cuba promotes ‘the thing’ in Africa. FPCC is also involved in the Algerian situation. Gibson and his French wife were in Paris after the war and also in Algeria. He has been to Russia and to Ghana. Robert F. Williams is also apparently instrumental in stirring up trouble (in the US over racial issues?). Gibson has no love in his heart for US. The FPCC is stirring up the Negroes in the South - says their plans have lots of loopholes and they expect to be arrested but they intend to carry the war against the US. 6
[Note 6: ]
Remarkably, the CIA saw the FPCC and Gibson as the instruments for a Castro-financed effort to foment insurrection in America. This was as menacing a thought as Hoover’s July 15, 1960, allusion to a Cuban-inspired Mexican attack on Texas. While these threats were obviously exaggerated, knowledge about the FPCC and its activities was a matter of some urgency in the CIA in view of ongoing assassination planning for Lamumba and Castro. A counterintelligence officer in Phillips’ WH/4 Branch wrote this in a memo to Jane Roman (liaison for Angleton’s counterintelligence staff); “As you know, the FBI has expressed an interest in such information that Subject [Cobb] can provide concerning the Fair Play Committee [sic].” 7
[Note 7 ]
Not everybody at the CIA was happy about Jane Cobb’s association with the Agency. In particular, Birch O’Neil of Angleton’s mole-hunting unit, CI/SIG, did some sniping with his pen. On November 22, 1960, O’Neil wrote a memorandum critical of the “liberal press” in general and of June Cobb in particular for promoting an English-language edition of an old Castro speech “to show that Castro is not a Communist.” O’Neal’s memo said:
The first edition was paid for by Miss Cobb and the second edition was paid for by the Cuban Consulate in New York. As far as we know, Miss Cobb is a rather flighty character. She comes in an out and we have not been able to find out where she lives or where she is now. Perhaps she is tied up with the so-called Fair Play for Cuba Committee. 8
[Note 8: ]
The innuendo radiating from this last sentence illuminates O’Neal’s hostility towards Cobb, a view that may have had other adherents within the Agency’s counterintelligence staff. From their perspective, Cobb’s connections seemed to carry with them as many potential risks as awards.
In any event, the combination of Agency elements most closely associated with the “take” from Cobb at that time was O’Neal’s CI/SIG, CI/OPS/WH (Counterintelligence/Operations/Western Hemisphere), and WH/4/CI. As CI/Liaison, Jane Roman also had access to the results of the Cobb debriefs and surveillance operations. 9
[Note 9: ]
In early 1961, eleven weeks before the Bay of Pigs invasion, the CIA seized an opportunity to become more actively involved in running operations against the FPCC. CIA Security Office and Western Hemisphere elements identified an Agency employee who knew Court Wood, an American student just returned from Cuba under the sponsorship of the FPCC. This opportunity to surveil Curt Wood, which developed at the end of January, was irresistible in the judgment of the person in the CIA’s Security Research Service (SRS) of the Security Office who conceived and authorized the operation. That person was James McCord, the same James McCord who would later become embroiled in the scandal during the Nixon Presidency.
On February 1, 1961, McCord met with people from Western Hemisphere Division to discuss the “case” of an Agency employee who happened to be Court Wood’s neighbor and former high school classmate. At issue was whether to use this employee operationally to extract information from Wood. The employee, conveniently, worked in WH/4, the very branch that McCord wanted to run the illegal domestic operation he had in mind. The memo of record for this meeting states the following:
  1. On this date Subject’s case was coordinated with Mr. McCord of SRS in connection with Subject’s operational use within the US byWH/4/Propaganda. The implications of a CI operation with[in] the US by this Agency and the possibility of Subject might come to the attention of the FBI through association with Court Wood were discussed.
    • Mr. McCord expressed the opinion that it was not necessary to advise the FBI of the operation at this time. However, he wishes to review the case in a month. The file of the Subject, along with that of the WH man who is supervising the operation (David Atlee Phillips #40695) will be pended [suspended] for the attention of Mr. McCord on 1 March 1961. 10
[Note 10: ]
It is fitting that one of the Agency’s legendary disinformation artists, David Atlee Phillips, should have been in charge of the CIA’s CI and propaganda effort against the FPCC. Phillips would reappear in Mexico City at the time Oswald visited there, taking over the anti-Castro operations of the CIA station in Mexico City during the very days that CIA headquarters and the CIA Mexico City station exchanged cables on Oswald’s visit to the Mexican capital.
“At the request of Mr. David Phillips, C/WH/4/Propaganda,” wrote the fortunate CIA employee picked to spy on his neighbor, “I spent the evening of January 6 with Court Wood, a student who has recently returned from a three-week stay in Cuba under the sponsorship of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee.” The employee said that Court and his father both were pro-Castro and “extremely critical” of American foreign policy. “I’ve been advised by Mr. Phillips,” the employee wrote, “to continue my relationship with Mr. Wood and I will keep your office informed of each subsequent visit.” 11.
[Note 11: ]
Indeed, the employee did keep Jack Kennedy, Chief of Security for Western Hemisphere Branch 4 (C/WH/4/Security), appraised. The next occasion occurred on March 3, 1961, after which the employee had new information, as reported March 8:
Several months ago I wrote you a letter concerning the pro-Castro sentiments of Court Wood, son of Foster Wood, a local attorney. Since that time I’ve seen Court only once, on March 3, 1961, and he appears to be actively engaged in the organization of a local chapter of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee.
Little did Court Wood know that he was organizing his new chapter under the watchful eye of the CIA.
Our budding spy was beginning to blossom in his new assignment for David Phillips. Wood’s neighbor also had this to say in is March 8 report:
Complete with beard, Court has been meeting with “interested groups” and lecturing to students in several eastern cities. He specifically mentioned Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York. Apparently there are a number of students envolved [sic] in this activity. I met David Letterman from George Mason high school in Falls Church, Va. And Walt MacDonwald, a fellow student of Court’s and both are obviously active. What action, if any, should I take in regard to my relationship with Court ad his father? 12.
[Note 12: ]
It seems comical, that a group of high school students, led by a college student who had grown a beard to emulate Castro’s appearance were the subjects of such CIA reporting. But it is actually sad.
Our spy now wanted more time to get additional intelligence. “Court Wood seems to be extremely naïve about my position with the Agency,” said the neighbor’s next bulletin. Dated March 18, 1961, and, again addressed to Mr. Jack Kennedy, the memo boasted that Wood “is very open and frank with me in all areas.” Phillip’s spy had spent “hours” with Court Wood and was sure h is naivete could be further exploited. “I am certain that if given enough time,” the spy wrote, “I can obtain a great deal of information on the backgrounds and activities of many of his associates.” The report also included the passage:
While visiting his apartment I observed that both Court and his father are interested in a large number of Communist publications. These include “USSR,” “The Worker,” and many prop pamphlets that were obviously published in England. Court is an extreme Leftist in is political views and believes fanatically in Castro’s Cuba.
Mr. Wood mentioned to me that he and several of his friends are making plans to enter Cuba in June; illegally if necessarily. He apparently wants to become a teacher for the Castro government and to make his permanent home there. Members of the “26th of July Movement” are in close contact with Court and they are involved in this proposed move to Cuba. Court does have some money and he seems to be very serious about this thing. Within the next few days I have to be able to get some names and specific facts concerning their plans. 13
[Note 13: ]
Not a bad bit of work for three weeks, especially considering that this kind of assignment was not in the fellow’s job description.
Ironically, just when our fledging spy was about to acquire more intelligence, the matter came to the attention of the FBI, and his mission came to an abrupt end. In an October 7, 1961, memo to FBI Liaison Sam J. Papich, CIA Acting Director of Security, R. F. Bannerman wrote this the case of Court Wood:
Reference is made to a 25 March 1961and a 6 July 1961 investigative report on captioned Subject which have previously been furnished to Agency.
[redacted] who is a current Agency employee, has recently been interviewed concerning his knowledge of Court Foster Wood whom [redacted] had known since mutual attendance in high school. Attached is a detailed report of the information furnished by [redacted] concerning his knowledge of Wood.
Since [redacted] personally has sufficient reason to question the activities of Wood and the activities of the associates of Wood, [redacted] has been advised to discontinue any further contact with Wood.
It would be appreciated if your Bureau would furnish this Agency any additional information brought to your attention concerning Court Foster Wood and of particular interest would be any information received by your Bureau concerning past association of Court Foster Wood with N - [redacted].
[Note 14: ]
Thus it would appear that the FBI had learned of Court Wood’s activities in March and again in July 1961, and had reported them to the Agency. The CIA then pulled its employee out of David Phillip’s CI operation against the FPCC.
What the operation tells us is that the Agency was sufficiently interested in countering the FPCC to engage in an illegal domestic operation. The fact that controversy would follow the two men in charge, McCord in connection with Watergate and Phillps in connection with the Kennedy assassination, cause this page in the Agency’s anti-Castro operations to stand out in hindsight.
While the Court Wood operation was grinding to a halt at the CIA, the FBI was gearing up for its own operations against the FPCC. Fragments of an FBI document released by the Church Committee suggests that Cartha DeLoach, assistant director of the FBI, was in charge of a Bureau operation to compile “adverse” data on FPCC leaders. A handwritten note at the bottom of the FBI headquarters coy of the document includes this detail: “During May 1961, a field survey was completed wherein available public source data of adverse nature regarding officers and leaders of FPCC was compiled and furnished Mr. DeLoach for use in contacting his sources.” 15
[Note 15 ]
The fact that an assistant director of the FBI was collecting dirt on FPCC leaders underlines the extent of the Bureau’s interest. This “adverse” data in the FPCC files kept by DeLoach probably grew considerably as a result of another CIA operation in October 1961. As we have seen, this operation netted significant intelligence on the FPCC from the Gibson material collected in June Cobb’s room. This material included certain derogatory statements by Gibson which appear to be the sort of “data” DeLoach was looking for.
In December 1961, the FBI launched another operation, using the incendiary tactic of planting disinformation. The handwritten note discussed above contains this accont:
We have in the past utilized techniques with respect to countering activities of mentioned [FPCC] organization in the U.S. During December 1961, New York prepared an anonymous leaflet which was mailed to select FPCC members throughout the country for the purpose of disrupting FPCC and causing split between FPCC and Socialist Workers Party (SWP) supporters, which technically was very effective. 16
[Note 16: ]
These tactics dramatize the lengths to which the FBI was willing to go to discredit the FPCC, whose chapters in Chicago, Newark, and Miami were infiltrated early on by the Bureau. As we will see in Chapter Sixteen, during Oswald’s tenure with the FPCC, FBI breakins to their offices were a regular occurrence.
Oddly, the day Patrice Lamumba’s death was announced, February 13, 1961, was the same day Snyder received Oswald’s letter about returning to America. As the FBI and CIA became engaged in a campaign to discredit the FPCC, Oswald was nearing his goal of having obtained all the necessary authorizations to return with his family.
Chapter Fifteen
The Unworthy Oswald
p. 262:
…As we shall see, the first intercepted FPCC letter to land in Oswald’s file was discounted by the FBI agent in charge of the file. Dallas Special Agent James Hosty claims he did not believe Oswald’s remark that he handed out FPCC literature in Dallas. Perhaps, but the inconsistency is the FBI’s claim that Oswald’s file was reopened in March because of a letter to the Worker The file had been closed in October 1962, just after learning - on 28 September - of a similar letter to the Worker. 7
[Note 7 : ]
p. 274:
…Meanwhile, Oswald had one more important composition to mail, one that was destined to become a catalyst in Oswald’s CIA files. On April 18, 1963, Oswald wrote to the Fair Play for Cuba Committee New York office. At the end of the summer, the contents of this letter would finally land in Oswald’s CIA files. In the April 18 letter, Oswald said he had passed out FPCC literature on the street the day before, and he asked for more copies. The fact that Oswald used his Dallas address raises the possibility he may not have made final plans to move to New Orleans until the end: he left on April 24. 89 On April 19, 1963, the Fair Play for Cuba Committee New York office sent Oswald more literature. 90
[Notes 89; 90]
Lie the CIA, the FBI had a mail-reading capability of its own, and Oswald’s correspondence would shortly generate a flurry of reporting on his activities by the New York office of the FBI. On April 6, 1963, Oswald lost his job at Jaggers-Chiles-Stoval because he could not do the work or get along with his coworkers. It is difficult to judge when Oswald began planning to move to New Orleans. 91
[Note 91: ]
Three days before his departure, the FBI intercepted Oswald’s letter to the FPCC describing his public FPCC activities. 92.
[Note 92: ]
The letter, which Oswald sent via air mail, was postmarked April 18. 93
[Note 93: ]
According to FBI records, on April 21, 1963, Dallas confidential informant “T-2” reported this letter to the FPCC, in which Oswald said he had passed out FPCC pamphlets in Dallas with a placard around his neck reading HANDS OFF CUBA, VIVA FIDEL. 94
[Note 94: ]
Actually, this Dallas T-2 source on Oswald was really a New York FBI source - NY-3245-S - as can be seen from newly released JFK files. 95.
[Note 95: ]
Similarly, an earlier Dallas T-1 source who had spied on Oswald’s letters to the Worker also turned out to be a New York source, NY-2354-S. 96
[Note 96: ]
The Warren Commission questioned the FBI about the April letter and its contents, asking, “Is this information correct as the date indicated and does it describe activities before Oswald’s move to New Orleans?” The FBI’s answer was vague, slippery, and paltry: “Our informant did not know Oswald personally and could furnish no further information. Our investigation had not disclosed such activity on Oswald’s part prior to this type of activity in New Orleans.” 97
[Note 97: ]
Special Agent Hosty, who barely expanded on this in his testimony to the commission on the Oswald placard-around-his-neck letter, added his disbelief of the story. Hosty explained: “We had received no information to the effect that anyone had been in the downtown streets of Dallas or anywhere in Dallas with a sign around their neck saying ‘hands off Cuba, viva Fidel’” Thus Hosty links his belief to negative intelligence, i.e., no reports had come to their attention on Oswald, and Hosty was confident that the Dallas FBI had adequate surveillance and reporting mechanisms tight enough to catch any such activity as flagrant and provocative as this. “It appeared highly unlikely to me,” Hosty testified, “that such an occurrence could have happened in Dallas without having been brought to our attention.” 98
[Note 98 ]
Hosty’s argument suggests that Oswald made a false claim - apparently to impress the FPCC - that failed to fool the Dallas office of the FBI. If Hosty is correct, we should be impressed, not only with the Dallas FBI office’s knowledge of what Oswald was doing, but also with their ability to figure out what he was not doing. As we have already seen, however, the performance of the Dallas FBI office was lackluster at best, where keeping track of Oswald was concerned.
Whether Oswald had stood on a street corner or not, important undercover FBI assets in New York were in motion against the FPCC during the time or shortly after Oswald wrote the letter. As we already know, the Fair Play for Cuba Committee was the subject for intense FBI and CIA interest and counterintelligence operations. A major FBI Chicago office investigation of the FPCC appeared on March 8, four days before Oswald ordered the rifle from Chicago. This study was transmitted to the CIA. 90
[Note 90: ]
By picking such an organization to correspond with and carrying out actions on its behalf Oswald - by default or by design - had insinuated himself into the gray world of the watchers and the watched.

Lots of people have "confessed". James Files comes to mind.

Yes, Tommy, and notice that I don't include James Files in my line-up. I personally doubt major parts of his story.

Notice, too, that the people that I name in my list of "Confessors" are either mentioned by the Warren Commission, or by Jim Garrison. That ensures that the trail was still warm when their names surfaced.

The trouble with James Files, as I see it, is that his story appears too many years later, and after too many JFK Conspiracy books were already published.

I do, however, accept James Files' association to the Mafia figure, Charles Nicoletti, who was associated with Johnny Roselli.

Yet the theory that the Mafia killed JFK on their own was already debunked by Jim Garrison in 1968.

The fact that some Mafia figures worked for CIA officers (including David Morales) to try to kill Fidel Castro, clearly makes Johnny Roselli a prime suspect, and in fact Johnny Roselli is a CONFESSOR.

IMHO, the story by James Files, chauffeur of Charles Nicoletti, is too late and too predictable.

Roselli was involved. Nicoletti knew Roselli. Files knew Nicoletti. The seeds for the fantasy are there. But it's a fantasy, fueled by JFK literature. That's my opinion on James Files today.

Who was behind the Grassy Knoll picket fence? My guess today is that Roscoe White and J.D. Tippit were among the many DPD officers behind the picket fence at noon on the day JFK was murdered. (As part of my evidence I'll cite the book, A Deeper, Darker Truth (2009) by Phillips & Wilson.)

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

...If Oswald was a lone psychopath, why would tell Phllips such different stories on consecutive days? You can speculate about the answers. What seems indisputable is that Phillips did not give a coherent account of his pre-assassination knowledge of Oswald. Phillips’s inconsistent, inaccurate, and evasive answers to questions about Oswald, prompted

First, Steven, nobody worth listening to promotes the idea that Lee Harvey Oswald was the Lone Nut shooter, anymore. That fiction was Hoover's 1963 strategy to avoid a National Security disaster. The HSCA officially retired the Lone Nut strategy in 1979.

Secondly, just because Phillips bought into Hoover's strategy (as did the entire US Government) that is no reason to suspect Phillips of being on the JFK Kill Team. As I'm trying to demonstrate -- the JFK Kill Team was utterly separate from the JFK Cover-up Team.

We can easily prove that David Atlee Phillips was on the JFK Cover-up Team -- but so what? So was the entire US Government in 1963-1964. The Lone Nut theory was literally a dogma in the USA in 1963-1964.

To accuse David Atlee Phillips of the JFK murder you'll need far more evidence than the Lone Nut theory.

...HSCA investigator Gaeton Fonzi...alleged in his book The Last Investigation that Phillips was guilty of perjury in the case of the murdered president. Fonzi’s belief was fortified by the credible but uncorroborated story of Antonio Veciana who worked with the CIA in 1963. Veciana said he saw Phillips in the company of Oswald in Dallas in September 1963.

Well, Steven, I also find Phillips to be very suspicious, and I'd like to find more evidence about him. He MIGHT be involved with the JFK murder deeper than our evidence shows today.

However, this evidence by Antonio Veciana of Alpha 66, while credible, is still too weak.

What Antonio Veciana proves is that David Atlee Phillips knew about (and to some extent befriended) Lee Harvey Oswald in 1963. But the context of Phillips' meeting with Oswald and Veciana in Dallas in the summer of 1963 was the murder of Fidel Castro, not JFK.

This corresponds to much of what we know about David Atlee Phillips and Antonio Veciana. History tells us that they were definitely involved for years in efforts to murder Fidel Castro.

This also corresponds to my theory, that the method used by Guy Banister to motivate Lee Harvey Oswald to behave like a Patsy by portraying himself as a fake Officer of a fake FPCC in New Orleans, was the method of fooling Oswald to believe that he was involved in a plot to murder Fidel Castro.

Now -- we can interpret the Veciana meeting in two ways. First, we can say that David Atlee Phillips was working with Guy Banister to keep Lee Harvey Oswald good and fooled about his role. Secondly, however, we can say that Phillips himself was fooled by Guy Banister, and that Phillips truly believed that Lee Harvey Oswald was being groomed as an asset in a CIA plot to murder Fidel Castro.

The second interpretation has more weight, moreover, because it is so close to what Phillips himself said in his quasi-autobiography, The Night Watch (1987).

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo