The Education Forum

Out-of-print JFK Books Online

Mr. Myers can relax. My position on the out-of-print archive always has been, and always will be, that the wishes of the author and/or the author's estate would be controlling in determining whether or not their materials appeared in the archive. Consequently, now that I know how Mr. Myers feels, I would certainly not post his work to the archive, and for what it's worth, I had no intention of doing it anyway, because I've never read the work and I have no idea of how valuable it is in helping solve the murder of President Kennedy. There are several dozen books which in my view are eligible to be posted to the archive from an out-of-print perspective, but in my opinion they aren't really worth redistributing, and so I haven't taken the time to scan them in. The works in the archive are those which I believe are extremely valuable, and therefore always should be available to students of the Kennedy assassination.

Mr. Myers is incorrect to assert that what I'm doing is "illegal," and I would ask him to desist from making statements that could be reasonably construed as libelous. In my view, what I am doing is legal for two reasons. In the first place, the First Amendment to the Constitution prohibits Congress from passing any law that abridges the freedom of speech or press. To the extent that copyright law abridges the freedom of speech, it is unconstitutional.

More to the point for those who would reject the First Amendment argument, and there are many who would unfortunately, Congress has modified copyright law to include what is known as the "fair use" exception. This exception, which first appeared in court cases, was codified at 17 U.S.C. § 107, and reads as follows;

"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

2. the nature of the copyrighted work;

3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work."

So, to say that what I'm doing is "illegal" begs the question: it says that what I'm doing does not fall under the fair use exception. Myers has not, and cannot, make that case, in my view. In the instant case, and in my view, I believe that what I'm doing satisfies three of these four parameters, when also in my view satisfying even one of these parameters would suffice it to be covered under the fair use exception.

Take criteria 1, the purpose and character of the use: we are attempting to solve the murder of President Kennedy. Important evidence that could help solve that murder has been distributed among hundreds and hundreds of books, and many of them are out-of-print. To prevent the distribution of these books is to prevent the distribution of that evidence. In my view, the citizens of the United States have an overriding interest in finding out who murdered their president, which trumps all other considerations.

A Court has already recognized the logic of this view. Here is what the court had to say in the court case revolving around Josiah Thompson's use of re-created frames from the Zapruder film (TIME INCORPORATED, Plaintiff, v. BERNARD GEIS ASSOCIATES, Bernard Geis, Josiah Thompson, and Random House, Inc., Defendants, UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK, 293 F. Supp. 130; 1968 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12385; 159 U.S.P.Q. (BNA) 663):

“There is a public interest in having the fullest information available on the murder of President Kennedy. Thompson did serious work on the subject and has a theory entitled to public consideration. While doubtless the theory could be explained with sketches of the type used at page 87 of the Book and in The Saturday Evening Post, the explanation actually made in the Book with copies is easier to understand. The Book is not bought because it contained the Zapruder pictures; the Book is bought because of the theory of Thompson and its explanation, supported by Zapruder pictures.

There seems little, if any, injury to plaintiff, the copyright owner. There is no competition between plaintiff and defendants. Plaintiff does not sell the Zapruder pictures as such and no market for the copyrighted work appears to be affected. Defendants do not publish a magazine. There are projects for use by plaintiff of the film in the future as a motion picture or in books, but the effect of the use of certain frames in the Book on such projects is speculative. It seems more reasonable to speculate that the Book would, if anything, enhance the value of the copyrighted work; it is difficult to see any decrease in its value.”

The same logic applies to Criteria 2, the nature of the work. These works are designed to help American citizens find out who killed their president. As such, they qualify to be used as evidence in a murder case, in fact, as exhibits in a murder case, just as the Warren Commission used newspaper articles, copyrighted, as exhibits.

Finally, with Criteria 4, we can see that an out-of-print book, by definition, cannot possibly have its market damaged, because it is not even in the market. Now, if an author decides to reprint the book, or make it available in Kindle format, it obviously has returned to the market, and at that point it is perfectly obvious that the author has not abandoned his or her claim to copyright of the work. In fact, that is the single deciding point that I've used. None of the works that I have posted are available on the Kindle, and are not available from the original publisher, so the author is not being deprived of revenue.

Incidentally, no author or their representative has ever requested that I remove any book from the archive, not even one time, and therefore my presumption is that they are more interested in having the information that they worked so hard in producing available to a wider audience, and that their more overriding interest, solving the murder of President Kennedy, would be satisfied.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also fixed the Evica book.

By the way, if anyone out there knows any representatives of the authors of the book in the archive, please contact them for me and ask them if they would like me to remove their materials. Upon receipt of information from them that convinces me that they have the right to represent the copyright owner, I will honor their request.

Guest Robert Morrow

I would like to encourage folks to NOT to upload or distribute Dale Meyer's book "With Malice: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Murder of Officer J.D. Tippit."

http://www.amazon.com/With-Malice-Harvey-Oswald-Officer/dp/0966270975/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332691071&sr=8-1

I apologize for my earlier suggestion of considering doing that.

Dale Meyers is a hilarious lone nutter who makes cartoons relating to the JFK assassination. His "work" is prominently featured in the ABC News Special "Beyond Conspiracy" from 2004.

That show was a much purified CIA garbage on the JFK assassination as you will find in one place - ever. I don't think we will ever see an effort like that on national TV again. That was that last blow off of the lone nutters in a high profile effort.

http://www.amazon.com/ABC-News-Presents-Kennedy-Assassination/dp/B0001BFDKU/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1332690588&sr=1-2

And it features the silly Dale Meyers prominently. It is kind of like having Daffy Duck explain quantum physics to you. Meyers is presented in that fantastically bad propaganda effort as calling the the ridiculous magic bullet theory a "single bullet fact." No credible JFK researcher or historian thinks that.

Almost no one would ever want to buy Meyers's book on Tippit, except for the maps, diagrams and xeroxed documents contained in it.

In my opinion, Oswald shot NO ONE on 11/22/63, not JFK and not Tippit. It was a frame up of Oswald all the way through.

Guest Robert Morrow

I have also fixed the Evica book.

By the way, if anyone out there knows any representatives of the authors of the book in the archive, please contact them for me and ask them if they would like me to remove their materials. Upon receipt of information from them that convinces me that they have the right to represent the copyright owner, I will honor their request.

I agree completely. Having said that if an author is dead and gone away and no family or estate is around to enforce the copyright, I think completely ok for valuable books to be copied and distributed on the internet.

There is one book that I really wish were on Kindle and it is "Barry & 'the Boys': The CIA, the Mob and America's Secret History" by Daniel Hopsicker. Hopsicker is in poor health and he is selling his book off of his website, so I think folks should buy directly from him.

I think that "Barry and the Boys" is one of the most important books written relating to politics in the past 75 years. The "used copy" price on Amazon is $74.

http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Boys-Americas-Secret-History/dp/0970659172/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332691390&sr=1-1

Guest Robert Morrow

"Dark Side of LBJ" now posted. Tks to Robert Morrow for furnishing the xerox.

Barry, that is fantastic! The "Dark Side of Lyndon Johnson" is an extremely important book; it came out in 1968. It is almost impossible to find at *any* price on Amazon or Abe Books. I encourage folks to download it and distribute it.

Very few people even know about this book. Joachim Joesten pretty much nailed the JFK assassination.

Here is the web link where you can download very important and extremely rare books relating to the JFK assassination:

https://www.box.com/shared/r40cn72yho05nz1i1jc4/1/193066498

We need more folks to mirror this web site so this information can be available for everyone.

"Dark Side of LBJ" now posted. Tks to Robert Morrow for furnishing the xerox.

Barry, that is fantastic! The "Dark Side of Lyndon Johnson" is an extremely important book; it came out in 1968. It is almost impossible to find at *any* price on Amazon or Abe Books. I encourage folks to download it and distribute it.

Very few people even know about this book. Joachim Joesten pretty much nailed the JFK assassination.

Here is the web link where you can download very important and extremely rare books relating to the JFK assassination:

https://www.box.com/shared/r40cn72yho05nz1i1jc4/1/193066498

We need more folks to mirror this web site so this information can be available for everyone.

Great book! Thanks for including. I have had better results viewing the text clearly by opening the file directly in Adobe Reader than on the standard Safari browser on my iPad.

Edited by Shepard G. Montgomery

Guest Robert Morrow

One of my absolute favorite books is "Barry and the Boys" by Daniel Hopsicker. You can get it off of his web page: http://www.madcowprod.com/paypal.htm'>http://www.madcowprod.com/paypal.htm

There is a chapter in "Barry and the Boys" titled "Did Barry Seal Fly a Getaway Plane out of Dallas."

Knowing Barry Seal he could have done that.

From now on "Barry & the boys" and my other books and documentaries will be available through donations only, in the following packages:

THE BIG BONUS PACKAGE: Signed copies of “Barry & the boys,’ “Welcome to TerrorLand;”

And 6 DVD’s: “The New American Drug Lords” and my five other documentaries, for a $200 donation.

THE BONUS PACKAGE: “Barry & the boys,’ and “Welcome to TerrorLand” for a $100 donation.

THE PACKAGE: 6 DVD’s. “The New American Drug Lords” AND ALL FIVE of my other documentaries for a $100 donation.

Daniel Hopsicker has put out some fantastic work on how drug smuggling in modern America works and his stuff is historically important. Hopsicker is just scraping by financially.

I want to honor the man and his work, and I encourage you to buy directly from Hopsicker. Just the cover alone with all those CIA operatives is worth the book. Hopsicker has made a tremendous contribution to political research.

Also, here is his latest article about Allen Stanford: http://www.madcowprod.com/

Edited by Robert Morrow

I have been monitoring the number of files downloaded from the out of print archive, and it appears that pretty much everyone who wanted to get a copy of one of the out of print books has done so. Downloads are down to a trickle.

As we all know, the fiftieth anniversary of the Kennedy assassination will be on November 22, 2013, and while none of the books in the archive has currently been reissued, I believe there is a significant possibility that one or more of them may. Consequently, I am going to temporarily disable the archive starting on May 01.

Those who disagree with me that one or more of the authors in the archive will be re-issuing their books are free to download the books that are currently in the archive, and start their own archive, mirroring it and making it available. In the meanwhile, enough people out there have copies to be able to supply them upon request to any researchers that need them.

After November 22, 2013, I am going to take stock of any reissues, and if there are, I will not re-post them to the archive. If a book has not been reissued, I will re-post it to the archive.

So, the bottom line is, if you want access to one of these out of print books now, you should download now, and not wait until May 1. You'll be out of luck then, unless someone else decides to mirror the archive.

Barry

Guest Robert Morrow

I have been monitoring the number of files downloaded from the out of print archive, and it appears that pretty much everyone who wanted to get a copy of one of the out of print books has done so. Downloads are down to a trickle.

As we all know, the fiftieth anniversary of the Kennedy assassination will be on November 22, 2013, and while none of the books in the archive has currently been reissued, I believe there is a significant possibility that one or more of them may. Consequently, I am going to temporarily disable the archive starting on May 01.

Those who disagree with me that one or more of the authors in the archive will be re-issuing their books are free to download the books that are currently in the archive, and start their own archive, mirroring it and making it available. In the meanwhile, enough people out there have copies to be able to supply them upon request to any researchers that need them.

After November 22, 2013, I am going to take stock of any reissues, and if there are, I will not re-post them to the archive. If a book has not been reissued, I will re-post it to the archive.

So, the bottom line is, if you want access to one of these out of print books now, you should download now, and not wait until May 1. You'll be out of luck then, unless someone else decides to mirror the archive.

Barry

How about just take down the books that you think might be re-published? I am in the process of opening up a Box account; but my confirmation email has not come yet.

I do think we need to get multiple people mirroring Barry's site of rare books. Actually, it should not involve that many books. Most books can be acquired for under $20; by definition these are the rarest and most valuable and least accessible ones.

Guest Robert Morrow

I have set up a Box account for people to download rare, out-of-print JFK and deep politics related books:

http://www.box.com/s/8b408e6999f8799dfd0a

The link above should work now.

Could someone download a file and see if it is working? I have also included my "LBJ, CIA & GHW Bush murdered JFK" file, too. I highly recommend it. It is a 600 page word doc with some of the best JFK reseach on the internet (and books) crammed into it.

Edited by Robert Morrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...