The Education Forum

Some questions about the TSBD Basement

I have a few questions about the layout of the TSBD and I am hoping someone here may be able to help.

Specifically, how many access points are there from the 1st floor to the TSBD basement?

The diagrams I have leave some room for interpretation.

I am also interested in finding out if there is a direct line-of-sight to the rear elevators from basement access point(s).

Thanks in Advance!

Very good questions. You are asking for the layout map of floor a as the WC docs were marked. I've never seen it (the map, but one can deduce it exists) but Bernice has posted some photos of it from which one can get a partial idea. (it's the angles that are not taken or available that are of interest to me) I think there were three elevators, a staircase(2), a book slide. . . I theorise windows, some leading into under the loading dock from where one can imagine the exits could be many. I also think it reasonable to suggest that there was at some time an entry to the underground tunnel system (which would lead to various other buildings and points of exit.)

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

Very good questions. You are asking for the layout map of floor a as the WC docs were marked. I've never seen it (the map, but one can deduce it exists) but Bernice has posted some photos of it from which one can get a partial idea. (it's the angles that are not taken or available that are of interest to me) I think there were three elevators, a staircase(2), a book slide. . . I theorise windows, some leading into under the loading dock from where one can imagine the exits could be many. I also think it reasonable to suggest that there was at some time an entry to the underground tunnel system (which would lead to various other buildings and points of exit.)

edit typo

John, your post hits some of the top items I am interested in locating: Access locations to the basement from inside the building; access to the basement from the exterior; lines of sight from these points; and also the possibility of tunnel access from the basement.

I found an old tunnel map that appears to show the Dallas Tunnel system Plan extending across Elm St, between Market & Houston Streets, probably a couple hundred feet from the basement of the TSBD.

http://www.dallastun...l-Plan-1980.jpg

I have also been through a number of photgraphs at the Mary Ferrell site, among others, but have not found anything that really helps.

Thanks for your reply.

You are welcome, Richard.

A number of people are pursuing this. I think it is an issue that could be very important and I hope this topic can go further to answer these questions.

edit typo

John, your post hits some of the top items I am interested in locating: Access locations to the basement from inside the building; access to the basement from the exterior; lines of sight from these points; and also the possibility of tunnel access from the basement.

I found an old tunnel map that appears to show the Dallas Tunnel system Plan extending across Elm St, between Market & Houston Streets, probably a couple hundred feet from the basement of the TSBD.

http://www.dallastun...l-Plan-1980.jpg

I have also been through a number of photgraphs at the Mary Ferrell site, among others, but have not found anything that really helps.

Thanks for your reply.

Wow, this is amazing map! I had no idea that such extensive tunnels were under Dallas. Any idea if these were traverse-able? Or just storm sewers?

-Chris