The Education Forum

Re-flooring of the SBDB

Jim Feemster

I didn't think they used temp employee for the 6th floor... don't we get a list of the workers from Williams?

He doesn't mention TEMP workers...

Mr. BALL. And how many were working on the sixth floor with you?

Mr. WILLIAMS. I believe there were five.

Mr. BALL. What are their names?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Well, Bill Shelley, Charles Givens, and there was a fellow by the name of Danny Arce.

Mr. BALL. He is a Mexican boy?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Yes. And a fellow by the name of Billy Lovelady, and myself. And there was a fellow that came up--his name was Harold Norman. He really wasn't working at the time, but there wasn't anything to do, he would come around to help a little bit, and then back down.

Mr. DULLES. Was he in the employ of the company?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Yes; he had been working there at the time about 2 years, I think.

Mr. DULLES. But he wasn't on this particular detail on the sixth floor that you are speaking of?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Well, he had been helping us on the fifth floor. When the orders would come in, he would go down and help with the orders, and when he didn't have anything else to do he would come back and help us move stock around. I think that was him.

Mr. BALL. What part of the sixth floor were you working that morning?

Mr. WILLIAMS. On the west side.

Mr. BALL. Were you moving stock or laying floor that morning?

Mr. WILLIAMS. We were doing both.

Mr. BALL. You were doing both?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Yes, sir.

Yet this black man, at the rear door is there 5 minutes after the shooting and what appears to be 20-25 minutes after as well... I believe that dark Cubans and/or some of the black men MAY have been put into a position to cooperate

Goes behind TSBD: Mr. HAYGOOD. At that time I talked to the colored male (negro) who was standing at the door and asked him how long he had been there, and he said he had been there some 5 minutes or so. And I asked him if anyone had came out that door, and he said that they had not.

Mr. SORRELS - I don't believe it could have been more than 20 or 25 minutes at the very most.

Mr. STERN - Then you arrived at the Book Depository Building, and did you see any police officers outside the building?

Mr. SORRELS - Yes; there were officers. I recall seeing officers. I could not say any specific one.

Now, as I came into the back of the building, there was a colored man standing on the rear platform, a loading platform. And he was just standing there looking off into the distance. I don't think he knew what happened.

And I said to him, ""Did you see anyone run out the back?""

He said, ""No, sir.""

""Did you see anyone leave the back way?""

""No, sir.""

Mr. STERN - Did you get his name?

Mr. SORRELS - No, sir; I did not. I did not stop to do that, because I figured he was an employee of the building.

Don't you find it hard to believe that NOTHING is seen for 20-30 minutes at the back of the TSBD? When we KNOW there was quite a lot of activity back there...

just a thought... who would even guess that black men would be involved that day?

I'm still having some trouble with the entire story of the TSBD and the hiring of Oswald. Maybe it's different in Texas, but here in Indiana, the school year starts in August...although it was closer to the day after Labor Day when school opening was "official" and students began to be penalized for late enrollment. Here in Indiana, in the early 1960's, the school corporations RENTED the books to students, and books were used 4-6 years before they were replaced. So that meant that schools had supplies of books on hand BEFORE the start of the school year in September. The only books being shipped in to schools in MY area in October thru December would've been "sample" texts for school boards, superintendents, principals, and teachers to review in consideration of replacing existing texts...OR...emergency supplies meant to replace texts that students had lost or damaged.

SO...based upon MY knowledge of the world of schools and textbooks in the early 1960's...it would've been suspicious in MY view for the TSBD to have been hiring, instead of laying off, workers in October of 1963. The article on Wikipedia mentions Oswald being hired to help handle an expected "holiday rush"...one that I simply don't see occurring in school textbooks. Who do YOU know that goes out buying school textbooks for Christmas gifts? Just doesn't make sense. Seems more logical to me that the business of the TSBD, as a warehouse, would've been a bit more seasonal...with their "busy season" occuring in July and August, or possibly even as early as April and May if school boards approved textbooks for the coming year in that early a window.

In fact, then, it makes PERFECT sense to put REGULAR employees to work laying plywood on the warehouse floor, rather than laying them off just prior to Thanksgiving and Christmas, which would've come across as Scrooge-like in the early 1960's. Still, it makes the hiring of Oswald look questionable, based upon the timing of his hiring. But I'm pretty sure, based upon what I've read in the past, that there were NO "tempts," "temps," or "temporary workers" hired simply to lay plywood over the existing floors.

Got a PM from the forum's "serial lurker." I can understand why the other employees, such as Jarman and Arce and the others on the floor-laying crew weren't laid off. Obviously, there was plywood to be laid on the floors. BUT since this wasn't the "busy season," I still don't see why Ozzie was hired...considering that, should an order need pulled, the floor-laying crew could obviously spare a hand or two if need be, since their primary jobs prior to the laying of the plywood had to do with filling orders.

IOW, when your "regular" employees are put on a "make-work" task [yeah, it may have been necessary to prevent oil from seeping into cartons, but the problem hadn't previously been considered critical to the business], it simply doesn't make sense to me to be hiring yet another employee to do what the folks on the "make-work" task HAD been doing. I've been a mid-level manager in business, and I know that if I had hired extra help to take up the slack while my main employees were doing a "make-work" task, I'd have been looking for a new job myself.

Edited by Mark Knight

There my be further information within this older thread...b

http://educationforu...?showtopic=6017

FLOOR LAYING CREW:

On the day of the assassination ,six employees of the TSBD were laying a

new tile floor. According to witness Bonnie Ray Williams , the crew

consisted of himself: Billy Lovelady, Harold Norman, Charles Givens,

William Shelley, and Danny Arce.

"The Assassination"..Benson..p 85..b<div><br></div><div><br> 

<div>One more of William Weston's.......mentioned are the weapons that LHO had perhaps purposely ordered..

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=48712&relPageId=4

Edited by Bernice Moore