The Education Forum

So, who did they bring to Washington ?

Gil Jesus

In 1963 it was not a federal crime in killing President Kennedy. It was only a state crime.

I'm aware of that, but I'm not sure federal authorities have to invoke a crime to take precedence over state/local authorities. In any case I doubt there would have been a restriction on witnesses leaving the state.

In light of the difficulty that New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison had in compelling out-of-state witnesses to come to Louisiana to testify, I beg to differ, Mr. Colby. Or do you believe that Texas law is stronger than Louisiana law in this area?

The assassination of JFK was a state crime, not a federal crime. In fact, NO federal laws were broken when JFK was assassinated.

It occurred on a Texas city street, not on a federal facility in Texas.

SO...knowing this...other that the simple acquiescence of the Dallas police...upon what authority did the FBI take over the investigation of the assassination? I would suggest that the Dallas police asked for--and possibly expected--the assistance and cooperation of the FBI...but they didn't anticipate that the entire investigation would be taken away from them, as there was no legal authority for the FBI to do so, since NO federal statutes had been broken.

It was a federal crime to conspire to kill a federal official in 1963, so it was a federal crime then and it is a federal crime now.

In fact we have a petition to request such,

JFK Grand Jury Petition

Edited by William Kelly

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1963 it was not a federal crime in killing President Kennedy. It was only a state crime.

I’m aware of that, but I’m not sure federal authorities have to invoke a crime to take precedence over state/local authorities. In any case I doubt there would have been a restriction on witnesses leaving the state.

In light of the difficulty that New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison had in compelling out-of-state witnesses to come to Louisiana to testify, I beg to differ, Mr. Colby. Or do you believe that Texas law is stronger than Louisiana law in this area?

The assassination of JFK was a state crime, not a federal crime. In fact, NO federal laws were broken when JFK was assassinated.

It occurred on a Texas city street, not on a federal facility in Texas.

SO...knowing this...other that the simple acquiescence of the Dallas police...upon what authority did the FBI take over the investigation of the assassination? I would suggest that the Dallas police asked for--and possibly expected--the assistance and cooperation of the FBI...but they didn't anticipate that the entire investigation would be taken away from them, as there was no legal authority for the FBI to do so, since NO federal statutes had been broken.

????? You contradicted yourself and inadvertently buttressed my supposition. In any case if Bill is right a federal statute was broken.