The Education Forum

Pearl Harbor Memos Uploaded

The book DAY OF DECEIT outlines how the United States provoked the attack on Pearl Harbor, and was fully aware that the attack was forthcoming. This has obvious relevance to the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, and other incidents in which the full truth of the matter was hidden from the American people.

What I have uploaded are documents now in the public domain, the memos related to this affair that shows the government foreknowledge, contained in the book.

You will find it at the following URL:

http://www.krusch.com/jfk

It is in the "key exhibits" folder.

Thanks, Barry. This is a perfect example of the fact that official duplicity didn't start on November 22, 1963. Most people prefer to ignore the transgressions of "liberals" like FDR, but the evidence is undeniable here. Well regarded historian John Toland's book "Infamy" addressed this subject in the 1980s. For his efforts, Toland-who had won a Pulitzer Prize- was slandered as a "nazi" by establishment historian Barbara Tuchman.

Huey Long alleged, in speeches delivered on the floor of the U.S. Senate, that the Roosevelt administration was plotting to assassinate him. Supposedly, these speeches are still available in the Congressional Record. Since he WAS subsequently assassinated, and represented such a threat to the powers that be, I would love for someone to finally tackle that verboten subject in a book.

Edited by Don Jeffries

The book DAY OF DECEIT outlines how the United States provoked the attack on Pearl Harbor, and was fully aware that the attack was forthcoming. This has obvious relevance to the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, and other incidents in which the full truth of the matter was hidden from the American people.

What I have uploaded are documents now in the public domain, the memos related to this affair that shows the government foreknowledge, contained in the book.

Here's my Pearl Harbor Story: Ed Hill - Cape May's Forgotten Hero

The Sortie of the Nevada at Pearl Harbor -

USS Nevada Sortie at Pearl Harbor

Fascinating, Barry. This led me to start doing more reading on the subject.

From the Army Pearl Harbor Board report in 1944: "Up to the morning of December 7, 1941, everything that the Japanese were planning to do was known to the United States except [Tokyo's final diplomatic message] the very hour and minute when bombs were falling on Pearl Harbor."

Best,

Chris

Barry

Interesting topic that I have looked into in years past. Some thoughts and information that have helped me deveolop areas of continued research.

Herbert Yardley was America's leading cryptologist until 1931 when his "Black Chamber" was disolved. The recurring question that continues to haunt several who study this man is did he remain in the business after 1931. The history is rather scant into this subject but we do know that John "Frenchy" Grombach dedicated a book to Yardley raising speculation that the two had some sort of relationship.

Grombach, along with Whitney Shepardson were the two leaders of SI an intelligence organization that has remained shrouded in mystery even until this day. Did SI have a code breaking component????? (It seems that Richard Helms was closely connected to SI as well).

Yardley's "Black Chamber" was succeeded by William Friedman's team of Cryptologists that included John Hurt (who would at a minimum share a name of a person that Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to contact while in custody after the assassination of JFK)and Frank Rowlett (who would investigate Oswald for potential intelligence connections, his radio, etc.

Hurt would be the man who would translate the final Japanese message that was to be presented to Sec. Hull on Dec. 7, 1941.

About 1947 Hurt wrote a document detailing his work, previous to and including WWII, that has been declassified. In it he states that all the information necessary to identify Pearl Harbor as a target was available but that there were not enough translators available to do the work to reveal this information prior to Dec. 7, 1941.

My question is, was there another parallel organization such as SI that was also working with the decoded interecept? Was Yardley a part of this organization? We can connect Yardley to Grombach if not to SI.

In addition, Hurt insists that there were very few Army personel that could read, write, speak and understand the nuances of the Japanese language available to do this sort of work. Yet prior to the war a young officier, Maxwell Taylor was assigned as an aide (one of seven I believe) to General George Marshall's staff. Taylor spoke Japanese fluetly and had spent time with the Japanese Army in China and Japan during the 1930's. It is also reported that Taylor burglarized a Japanese War Department official and obtained a Japanese code book. I have never found anything in the information that I have studied about Friedman's group that this code book was ever turned over to them or how it was used.

Hurt verifies that the information about Pearl Harbor was available but suggests that due to the large volumn of traffic that Friedman's team was dealing with and the limited amout of staff available that the information was never retrieved untill after the war had began.

My question is, did a parallel organization have access to this same information and did they have the manpower to decypher it prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor?

A historical coincidence that intrigues me but may have no signifigence at all is this.....

First:

While the defense department knew that the Japanese were going to do something on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941 and they knew the time, General Marshall choose to go for a horse back riding adventure and was unavailable to receive the information as it actually unfolded. Marshall also choose to send a message to Pearl Harbor via commercial carrier the morning of Dec. 7 rather than using military radio transmissions. The commercial message arrived after the bombing but that is a secondary issue.

Second:

Maxwell Taylor was meeting with German (I believe) NATO generals on Nov. 22, 1963 when he stopped the meeting and ajourned to his private office where he asked not to be disturbed. While sequested in private, the assassination of JFK took place.

It is easy to speculate that both Marshall and his protege Taylor may have known the events about to unfold and choose to be alone as the most historical events of their times as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs occured.

Interesting subject! I wish you luck.

Jim Root

• 3 months later...

William Stephenson, the head of British Security Coordination (BSC) that was based in New York City managed to record the conversations of Japanese special envoy Suburu Kurusu with others in the Japanese consulate in November 1941. Marion de Chastelain was the cipher clerk who transcribed these conversations. On 27th November, 1941, William Stephenson sent a telegram to the British government: "Japanese negotiations off. Expect action within two weeks." According to Roald Dahl, who worked for BSC: "Stephenson had tapes of them discussing the actual date of Pearl Harbor... and he swears that he gave the transcription to FDR. He swears that they knew therefore of the oncoming attack on Pearl Harbor and hadn't done anything about it."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPYbsc.htm

Randolph Churchill remembering the morning of 18th May, 1940

I went up to my father's bedroom. He was standing in front of his basin and was shaving with his old fashioned Valet razor. He had a tough beard, and as usual he was hacking away.

"Sit down, dear boy, and read the papers while I finish shaving:" I did as told. After two or three minutes of hacking away, he half-turned and said: "I think I see my way through." He resumed shaving.

I was astounded, and said: "Do you mean we can avoid defeat? (which seemed credible), or beat the bastards?" (which seemed incredible).

He flung his razor into the basin, swung around, and said: "Of course I mean we can beat them."

Me: "Well I'm all for it, but I don't see how you can do it."

By this time he had dried and sponged his face and turning around to me, said with great intensity: "I shall drag the United States in."

Here's my Pearl Harbor Story: Ed Hill - Cape May's Forgotten Hero

The Sortie of the Nevada at Pearl Harbor -

USS Nevada Sortie at Pearl Harbor

Thanks Bill - it's good to make sure people know of the heroism shown by people on that day.

This has phuk all to do with the JFK assassination, the only reason it was posted here was for visibility.

I certainly don't claim to have a definitive answer but I sure have discovered something interesting regarding a possible overlooked item, and one in which, if there was a genealogical connection would raise some eyebrows and more than likely vindicate Dick Russell's research as well as a researcher who is not exactly a household name, the author of The Kennedy Assassination Cover-up, named Donald Gibson.

My interest in Pearl Harbor started long before I was a JFK researcher, when I read The Man Who Knew Too Much, it was obvious to me that there was much still to be learned about Pearl Harbor and any linkage to the Kennedy Assassination. And then came along the Raleigh Call and John B Hurt.

What I personally discovered, was that a very compelling individual was the lead investigator in the various Pearl Harbor investigations. He was Henry Christian Clausen. I read his book on his involvement in the Pearl Harbor Hearings, from cover to cover, there was nothing to indicate he was any different from any other person who heads a governmental investigation into a controversial subject, with two exceptions. The guilt of Admiral Short and General Husband Kimmel seemed a little unfair considering the intelligence briefings they had been given focused more on the possibility of sabotage by the Nisei in Hawaii, a very racist slant, I might add, the Nisei distinguished themselves not just on December 7, 1941, but all through the war and accepted their imprisonment in what were at best detention camps with a great deal of stoicism, and never acted as the potential saboteurs they had been painted as by the government at any time.

Worse, the rather public crucifixion of Admiral Kimmel and General Short, were not unlike the case of Sacco and Venzetti.

But what struck me as hard to swallow was a fact that is noted in Henry Clausen's obituary printed below.

Henry Christian Clausen

A funeral will be held Wednesday for Henry Christian Clausen, a lawyer who was a major figure in California and U.S. Scottish Rite Freemasonry. He died yesterday in San Francisco at age 87.

Mr. Clausen was born in San Francisco and earned a law degree at the University of San Francisco in 1927, with admission to the bar that year. He continued his studies at the University of California and the University of Michigan.

In 1935, he married Virginia Palmer.

During the building of the Golden Gate Bridge, he served as chief counsel for Joseph B. Strauss, the engineer responsible for the project.

He was assigned to the Army Judge Advocate General's Office during World War II, acting as special counsel in the military investigation of the disaster at Pearl Harbor.

Mr. Clausen attained the 33rd degree in Freemasonry and wrote several notable books on Masonic themes, including ''Clausen's Commentaries on Morals and Dogma,'' which first appeared in 1974 and which has gone into seven printings.

In 1955, he was grand master of the California Masons at the ground breaking for the city's Masonic temple and auditorium.

From 1969 to 1985, he was sovereign grand commander of the Supreme Council, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, with responsibility for the activities of 4 million Masons in the United States, and was editor of their monthly magazine, The New Age.

He is survived by his wife; his sons, Donald and Henry Jr.; and his daughters, Florian Elliott and Karen Freemen.

Friends may call Tuesday at Halsted N. Gray-Carew & English, 1123 Sutter Street. The funeral will be at Masonic Auditorium, 1111 California Street, at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Contributions are recommended for the California Scottish Rite Foundation, 855 Elm Avenue, Long Beach 90813.

San Francisco Chronicle (CA)

Date: December 5, 1992

Edition: FINAL

Page: C10

Record Number: 14090

Copyright © 1992 The Chronicle Publishing Co.

Of course, nowadays it is politically incorrect to cast aspersions upon Freemasonry, but the idea that Clausen was also a 33rd degree Freemason didn't exactly make me feel warm and bubbly about his commitment to find the truth wherever it led. I will leave it at that.

There is one rather strange aspect of the Sorge Affair which makes me scratch my head regarding the name Clausen.

An excerpt from a lucid account of the Sorge Affair......

.....One remarkable feature of his career in espionage was that he never used false papers and never resorted to a cover-name. He was always known by his true name, Dr. Richard Sorge, Nazi journalist. It was a remarkable achievement that he survived undetected for over six years in Japan, a country with rigid censorship and under tight military and police control.

He worked throughout with the same team of five, four well connected Japanese and one top GRU Radio operator-technician named Max Klausen. It was his firm rule never to recruit new agents on the spot. Just how wise that decision was is proved by the fact that through a sub-agent who was recruited by one of his five, suspicion about him was finally aroused. One of his agents was arrested, and it became obvious that soon he too would be exposed.

He made plans to leave but delayed his departure— almost as though his was a fictional spy story-because of his infatuation for a Japanese dancing-girl.

What he did not know was that she was working for Colonel Osaki, head of Japanese counter-intelligence. She reported to the colonel that on their way to his house Sorge had thrown away a torn piece of paper. This last message before Sorge’s arrest read: ‘Japanese carrier air forces attacking United States Navy at Pearl Harbor probably November six. . . ‘

There is no evidence whether or not the message got through to the Kremlin. Certainly there was no sign that President Roosevelt ever received it from that source.

Source - pages 160-161

Who’s Who In Espionage Ronald Payne and Christopher Dobson - 1984

First Published in Great Britain under the title of The Dictionary of Espionage in Great Britain by Harrap Ltd.

What I discovered as in the above segment is that several sources, including maryferrell.org - Chronologies, spell

the GRU operator Max Klausen with a "K."

But in one of the first seminal works on the Sorge Affair,

entitled Target Tokyo: The Story of the Sorge Spy Ring - Gordon W. Prange, with Donald Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon, his name is not spelled with a K, but with a C, as in Max Gottfried Friedrich Clausen and wife Anna Wallenius.

The English translation of the German wikipedia regarding Max Clausen, seems to indicate his headstone shows the spelling with a C, as opposed to a K.

Now, I believe it would be worth knowing whether the two Clausen's Max and Henry were related, and even if they weren't, Donald Gibson's book is a perfect companion book to The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Gibson makes a persuasive argument that Owen Lattimore and the Institute For Pacific Relations as well as International House seem to pose some of the same odd relationships to names associated with, not only the Kennedy Assassinaton, but with members of the hierarchy of the Warren Commission, J Edgar Hoover and Allen Dulles, just as the Noel Field/Oswald/J.F. and Allen Dulles linkages to Albert Schweitzer College....

There is definitely a lot of updating to do on this topic.....

Edited by Robert Howard

Roald Dahl claims that William Stephenson told him that British Security Coordination (BSC) managed to record the conversations of Japanese special envoy Suburu Kurusu with others in the Japanese consulate in November 1941. Marion de Chastelain was the cipher clerk who transcribed these conversations. On 27th November, 1941, William Stephenson sent a telegram to the British government: "Japanese negotiations off. Expect action within two weeks." According to Dahl, who worked for BSC: "Stephenson had tapes of them discussing the actual date of Pearl Harbor... and he swears that he gave the transcription to FDR. He swears that they knew therefore of the oncoming attack on Pearl Harbor and hadn't done anything about it.... I have no way to judge if he was telling the truth, except Bill didn't usually tell stories like that."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPYdahl.htm