The Education Forum

Ronald Reagan

On 9/15/2024 at 6:57 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Hanks only made this film ("Parkland" ) with an obvious agenda of promoting the Warren Commission "Lone Nut" finding over the conspiracy one imo.

It was released on the 50th anniversary of the JFKA. Something to "blunt the highly increased media attention" on the conspiracy talk and belief that the majority of Americans still held even after all that time.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Probably true.

By 2008, we were all trying to forget about Dubya.

IMO, the same thing was true in the case of some of the great Vietnam War films-- Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Hearts and Minds, Between Heaven and Earth, etc.

Many Americans didn't want to think about what we had done in Southeast Asia.

In the case of the Iraq War, the Best Picture winner, The Hurt Locker, also didn't do very well at the box office, as I recall.

Vice, the 2018 Adam McKay biopic of Dick Cheney, starring Christian Bale, would be a great double feature with W.

Reagan was originally due to be released in 2021 but was then delayed to an unspecified date.[35][37][38] In March 2024, it was announced ShowBiz Direct would theatrically distribute the film on August 30, 2024.[39] Facebook temporarily restricted the film from advertising on its platform, alleging that the ads were efforts to influence the 2024 United States elections.[40][41]

Audiences skewed older, white, and Southern. 78% of moviegoers were white, 63% were at least 55 years old, and the theater with the highest grosses for the film on opening weekend was located in Edmund, Oklahoma.dmond, Oklahoma.[43]

Critical response

[edit]

On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 17% of 63 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 4/10. The website's consensus reads: "While Reagan the movie undoubtedly admires Reagan the man, its cloying and glossy rendering of history flattens the 40th U.S. President into caricature." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 22 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable" reviews.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Reagan was my first public exposure to the Texas right.  1984, University of Texas at Arlington.  Geraldine Ferraro running for vice president to give a speech on the mall.  Thousands of people there.  The republicans shouted her down.  Four more years, four more years, four more years then Reagun, Reagun, Reagun over and over.  As a Texan and Democrat I was appalled and embarrassed.  

At some point between then and now I began to wonder, could some of those on the right have been involved in the JFK assassination.  Not just the Texas oil men but the east coast right wing elite?

When I was a kid, his name was pronounced "Ree-gun." Then some time

after he got into politics, the pronunciation shifted to the more "high-toned" (i.e.,

less Irish-sounding) "Ray-gun." When I worked with Reagan's old friend David Niven on a TV special,

Niven joked about how he used to know Reagan when he was still "Ree-gun."

Edited by Joseph McBride

Interesting, if you find such interesting, to check who produced a Reagan documentary in the 2020s, and who was able to get it a theatrical release.  (Keeping in mind, however, that theatrical release wasn't expected to produce box office gold, but to qualify the film for awards.)