The Education Forum

Downloading an entire web site for use offline

I want to download my entire site and have a version offline on the school network in the event of internet connection problems. I have in the past used a programme called "Superbot" to do this. It seems however that my site has become too large for this programme to cope with....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives?

:)

I want to download my entire site and have a version offline on the school network in the event of internet connection problems. I have in the past used a programme called "Superbot" to do this. It seems however that my site has become too large for this programme to cope with....Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives?

:)

I have been told WebWhacker 5.0 is good.

With WebWhacker, you decide what Internet information you make available for access. Download favorite web pages or whole web sites directly to your own laptop, hard drive, desktop, zip disk, CD, or storage device, and then view them offline at highly accelerated speeds. It is not just any site retrieval tool!

Some Features :

Download web pages or entire Web sites to your local or external storage

Automatic Scheduler

Pause and Resume

Monitor websites

Filtering

Preserve Site Structure

Link Checker

You can download it here:

http://www.agentland.com/cgi-bin/relocatio...t_Agent/38.html

WebWhacker IS good.

Now I promised not to do this - but it's only a quick one. If you download someone else's site to an intranet, check on the terms first. I manage the ICT4LT website and we only allow downloads of the site to a local intranet on payment of an annual franchise fee of 250 pounds.

Alternatively, you can buy a CD-ROM containing the complete English language version of the site for 100 pounds for an unlimited site licence.

This, by the way, is the only income that the site derives. CD-ROMs are by far the most popular choice.

See: http://www.ict4lt.org

The BECTA site contains several documents dealing with this issue.

WebWhacker IS good.

Now I promised not to do this - but it's only a quick one. If you download someone else's site to an intranet, check on the terms first. I manage the ICT4LT website and we only allow downloads of the site to a local intranet on payment of an annual franchise fee of 250 pounds.

Alternatively, you can buy a CD-ROM containing the complete English language version of the site for 100 pounds for an unlimited site licence.

This, by the way, is the only income that the site derives. CD-ROMs are by far the most popular choice.

See: http://www.ict4lt.org

The BECTA site contains several documents dealing with this issue.

Thank you gentlemen. I will download webwhacker.

You are right to highlight the ethical issues concerning downloading other peoples sites Graeme. Moreover such practices can also have a disastrous effect on the bandwidth usage of the site concerned.

My interest however is only having an offline version of my own stuff avaialble on my College network :)

Andy writes:

My interest however is only having an offline version of my own stuff avaialble on my College network.

Makes perfectly good sense!