The Education Forum

1979 Betamax copy of an 8MM film clip of the JFK assassination

Anyone interested in following this up?:

We have in our possession a 1979 Betamax copy of an 8MM film clip of the JFK assassination apparently compiled by the U.S. Government sometime between 1964 and 1979. The compilation appears to have combined portions of the Zapruder, Nix, and Muchmore films with the addition of two segments. One focuses on the instant that a fatal shot hits the President's head. The other and more intriguing one appears to be an effort to identify something or someone located in a foliaged area along the motorcade route. This segment is of particular interest because of the insertion of an arrow to highlight an object or area and what appears to be a sophisticated technical effort of some sort to make the visibility of the object possible.

We had a company called Concept Video Productions, in Burbank California in 1979. At sometime during the summer of that year, we received a phone call from someone wanting to transfer a film to tape. He wanted to make sure that it could be done in private and no one would be allowed in the room once we began the transfer process. We assured him that it was possible. Shortly after this phone call, three men dressed in suits came to our shop. Although they did not show any identification, they said that they had something very private and important to transfer one of them stood at the front door and another at the back of the shop. The third man went inside the transfer/editing room and watched the transfer. After the transfer was complete, we gave them their Beta copy and the original film. They paid in cash.

In those days when copying film to tape, you usually watched the film in order to confirm everything was proceeding satisfactorily. I recognized at once that the film had to do with the assassination. At that time was the fact that I had activated two taping machines. When the film was complete, I walked over to one tape machine, ejected the tape, and handed it to the man. The other copy has remained in our sole possession for over 32 years.

We have never seen this version any where on line or listed with the National Archives. This is not a photo shop YouTube edit, we can assure you. Our curiosity is what U.S. Government entity produced the film with its specialized enlargements and technical enhancements to "see through" foliage, and where why and how from 1963 to 1979 was this film.

Guest James H. Fetzer

Yes. Can you provide contact information, John, and I will see what we can do to investigate this further? I think you want to send that to me via a PM or an email rather than post it here on the forum. Thanks for letting us know.

We have in our possession a 1979 Betamax copy of an 8MM film clip of the JFK assassination apparently compiled by the U.S. Government sometime between 1964 and 1979. The compilation appears to have combined portions of the Zapruder, Nix, and Muchmore films with the addition of two segments. One focuses on the instant that a fatal shot hits the President's head. The other and more intriguing one appears to be an effort to identify something or someone located in a foliaged area along the motorcade route. This segment is of particular interest because of the insertion of an arrow to highlight an object or area and what appears to be a sophisticated technical effort of some sort to make the visibility of the object possible.

We had a company called Concept Video Productions, in Burbank California in 1979. At sometime during the summer of that year, we received a phone call from someone wanting to transfer a film to tape. He wanted to make sure that it could be done in private and no one would be allowed in the room once we began the transfer process. We assured him that it was possible. Shortly after this phone call, three men dressed in suits came to our shop. Although they did not show any identification, they said that they had something very private and important to transfer one of them stood at the front door and another at the back of the shop. The third man went inside the transfer/editing room and watched the transfer. After the transfer was complete, we gave them their Beta copy and the original film. They paid in cash.

In those days when copying film to tape, you usually watched the film in order to confirm everything was proceeding satisfactorily. I recognized at once that the film had to do with the assassination. At that time was the fact that I had activated two taping machines. When the film was complete, I walked over to one tape machine, ejected the tape, and handed it to the man. The other copy has remained in our sole possession for over 32 years.

We have never seen this version any where on line or listed with the National Archives. This is not a photo shop YouTube edit, we can assure you. Our curiosity is what U.S. Government entity produced the film with its specialized enlargements and technical enhancements to "see through" foliage, and where why and how from 1963 to 1979 was this film.

Interesting sales pitch.

I would be interested in helping and viewing it. It actually sounds like it may even address a line of inquiry I have been making while screening footage having to do with the location on the ground near across from the Texas Book Depository Building.

How do you want to send it the material; online or snail mail?

Jean

The "trained" operative would have checked for copies,maybe it was just an IBM guy!.

Guest Tom Scully

....and where why and how from 1963 to 1979 was this film.

Hmmm... even the Nigerians use better English in their email pitches....

Hello, I am Major General Joseph R. Scammer of the Nigerian Air Force. I have amassed a large fortune through my position as manager of weapons systems procurement. You were recommended as someone to contact to facilitate the transfer of these sums to a financial account in the United States in exchange for a forty percent share of the assets......

Can he sell me a Betamax player?.maybe Nigeria still using laser disc!.

Can he sell me a Betamax player?.maybe Nigeria still using laser disc!.

If there is an EBAY in England you can try there or an old Elecranics Shop you may find one there.

Yes. Can you provide contact information, John, and I will see what we can do to investigate this further? I think you want to send that to me via a PM or an email rather than post it here on the forum. Thanks for letting us know.

I have sent you his contact details by email.

John How about posting the material? If you won't post it, will you send me a copy?

I would like to see it. What do you need Email or postal address/ YThak

Jeanie