The Education Forum

Bobby and Billy Hale

Some researchers might be interested in the following email:

My parents went to Arlington Heights High School in the late 50's.

Bobby and Billy Hale knew Lee Harvey Oswald as did most of the students at AHHS because he made sure everyone knew who he was and what he believed in. I asked dad if he ever remembered if the Hale brothers would've had a run in with him. Dad described an incident where Oswald wanted to join the football team and was turned down. He really made an ass out of himself on the field at practice in front of the team. The Hale boys were there.

Kathleen was friends with my mom. She was a shy girl and was very much in love with Bobby Hale. But...all the kids in mom and dads crowd knew that John Connelly would never accept their relationship as this didn't benefit him socially or politically.

So...they did what most teens did at that time...get pregnant and sneak to Oklahoma and get married. They did and then ran to Florida due to their parents finding out. John did not know that she was pregnant.

Now...this is what happened according to the kids back home who were "in the know".

I B Hale found them using his contacts then Connelly and Hale flew into Florida and Connelly confronted Kathleen alone and informed her that if she didn't come back with him and annul the marriage never to see or speak to Bobby again that she would be disowned...she would have no family...no money...no chance at a life and that Bobby's father was in agreement. They would be destitute.

Bobby was out looking for her as their neighbor told him that she ran out of their apartment after two men had stopped by. Bobby had suspected what had happened and was frantic. When he came home...the apt door was open...he heard her in the bedroom...walked in the door just as she pulled the trigger.

Bobby was never the same. He became angry and very antisocial.... He went off the deep end and never came up for air.

Everyone was devastated by the needless loss. The spin doctors went in to full time damage control so that only their close classmates knew the truth of what really happened.

Now...you know too.

Guest Tom Scully

...He knelt at her feet, he said, and pleaded with her to put it down. She wouldn't......

A question I have of much more concern is whether or not your news organization ever reported the fact that the mother-in-law of John B. Connally's deceased daughter told the FBI she sent Lee Harvey Oswald

on a successful job interview to Leslie Welding, and that the Warren Commission and the FBI omitted what they knew about the background of that woman, Virginia Kingsbery Hale?

http://news.google.c...y ib-hale&hl=en

Bride's Death Ruled Accidental .

The Dispatch - May 1, 1959

... Mr. and Mrs. IB Hale, also attended the hearing The Hales left with their son ... Connally said his daughter was despondent over moving to a place. .

Oswald was a few years ahead of the Hale twins in school. i doubt they took any retained notice of him if their attendance did overlap with his......

Edited by Tom Scully

Tom any idea where the Kingsbery came from?.

Ian Kingsbury

Guest Tom Scully

Tom any idea where the Kingsbery came from?.

Ian Kingsbury

It took me a long time to find that out, and even to find her maiden name. Her father was Joe Kingsbery, out of Atlanta.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram : OBITUARIES

Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Feb 2, 1997 Kathryn K. Martin HOUSTON - Kathryn (Kay) Kingsbery Martin, formerly Mrs. Walt Martin, 76, died Jan. 18, 1997

... Joe Kingsbery Jr. and Belle Birge Kingsbery, and by her sister, Virginia Kingsbery Hale and by her beloved grandmother, Virginia Ellison "Mother Jane" Birge.

https://www.google.c...iw=1173&bih=729

IN ATLANTA'S SOCIAL REALM NEWS OF INTEREST TO WOMEN

Pay-Per-View -

Atlanta Constitution - Mar 15, 1914

A wedding that will be of interest to the social elite of Fort Worth and north Texas alike is that of Miss Belle Birge, of Sherman, and Joe Kingsbery, Jr., of Fort Worth. The wedding will be solemnized at the First Presbyterian church of Sherman on April 30. The engagement announcement was made Thursday afternoon at a noon luncheon given by Miss Hattie Birge at her home in Sherman. M11ss Birge Is the daughter of, Mr. and Mrs. Willard Blrge and Is a mem- bao at one of the oldest and most prominent families of north Texas. She was the princess from Sherman at the recent horse show and has visited in Forth Worth many times as the guest of the Misses Stripling. Mrr. Kingsbery is prominent in busi- ness and social circles of Fort Worth. He is at the head of the 'Manufacturing company and is closely identified with many social organiza- tions. As all officer of the Steeple Chase club he has done much toward the success of the Fort Worth horse shows.-Fort Worth Record. Mr. Kingsbery is well known in At- lanta, where he passed his boyhood. He is a brother of 'Miss Lula Kingsbery, of this city, and a of 'Mr. Joseph Kingsbery, of Carrollton, formerly of Atlanta. On last Wednesday evening 3Misses Lula and Freddie Kate Jackson enter- ,tained informally at their home on Sunset avenue in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Don Carlos Martlin, whose wedding was a very pretty event of last Tuesday aft- at the bride s home.

IN THE SOCIAL WORLD

Pay-Per-View -

Atlanta Constitution - Mar 18, 1901

Mrs. George Barker returned this week to; Atlanta. after a- visit of a few ..... Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kingsberry, at Oaklawn, last week, during which she ...

HAVE A NEW PLAN

Pay-Per-View -

Atlanta Constitution - Jul 12, 1895

When the commissioners Trom New York roached Atlanta they looked about the ... Joe Kingsbery, president of the old exposition company, was seen yesterday. ...

Edited by Tom Scully

Thanks Tom been looking for a link lots of Kingsbury/Kingsbery in Texas.

...He knelt at her feet, he said, and pleaded with her to put it down. She wouldn't......

A question I have of much more concern is whether or not your news organization ever reported the fact that the mother-in-law of John B. Connally's deceased daughter told the FBI she sent Lee Harvey Oswald

on a successful job interview to Leslie Welding, and that the Warren Commission and the FBI omitted what they knew about the background of that woman, Virginia Kingsbery Hale?

... Mr. and Mrs. IB Hale, also attended the hearing The Hales left with their son ... Connally said his daughter was despondent over moving to a place. .

Oswald was a few years ahead of the Hale twins in school. i doubt they took any retained notice of him if their attendance did overlap with his......

I just checked it out. Oswald attended AHHS as a sophomore from September to October 1956. The Hale brothers were 18 year-old seniors in Spring 1958. Assuming they went to AHHS--which would not come as a surprise since they lived in Ft. Worth and the school had a very good reputation back then--they would have been juniors in October 1956--which puts them one year ahead of Oswald.

While the school is a large one, it is not a giant one. It has 74 classrooms, and had 1500 students in 1996, as a 4 year school. My high school, by comparison, had over 3,000 students in 1979, as a three year school.

If the school was a 4 year school in 1956, as I presume, with about 1500 students, there would be about 375 students per grade. If Oswald was as outgoing abut his interest in communism and plans to join the Marines as indicated elsewhere, well, then, it seems quite possible the Hales knew all about him in 1956, and would have followed his subsequent "defection" with great interest.

When one considers the Hales' strange appearance at Judy Campbell's house a few years later, one is forced to consider that they might be up to their necks in intrigues never fully explained.

Did they help set up Oswald? Good question.

Edited by Pat Speer

I just checked it out. Oswald attended AHHS as a sophomore from September to October 1956. The Hale brothers were 18 year-old seniors in Spring 1958. Assuming they went to AHHS--which would not come as a surprise since they lived in Ft. Worth and the school had a very good reputation back then--they would have been juniors in October 1956--which puts them one year ahead of Oswald.

While the school is a large one, it is not a giant one. It has 74 classrooms, and had 1500 students in 1996, as a 4 year school. My high school, by comparison, had over 3,000 students in 1979, as a three year school.

If the school was a 4 year school in 1956, as I presume, with about 1500 students, there would be about 375 students per grade. If Oswald was as outgoing abut his interest in communism and plans to join the Marines as indicated elsewhere, well, then, it seems quite possible the Hales knew all about him in 1956, and would have followed his subsequent "defection" with great interest.

When one considers the Hales' strange appearance at Judy Campbell's house a few years later, one is forced to consider that they might be up to their necks in intrigues never fully explained.

Did they help set up Oswald? Good question.

Pat: According to the FBI investigation, Oswald entered Arlington Heights H.S. on 9/5/56, and withdrew on 9/28/56 to join the Marines. In short, he attended for three weeks and 2 days, and only in September, 1956. During that brief period, he was in the 10th grade.

DSL

Exactly, David. He was a sophomore and the Hale brothers were juniors. If he tried out for football, as claimed by John's source, they would almost certainly have known him.

I mean, I went to a school of 3,000, and tried out for basketball. I knew by sight and name every kid trying out for basketball--from the Varsity team all the way down to the C team. And I suspect they coud do the same. So...in your research, did you come across anything to indicate Oswald had an interest in football?

Edited by Pat Speer

• 4 years later...

In response to the above posts, I have performed my own research into the matter of Robert and William Hale being class mates of Lee Oswald. I recently had the opportunity to look at a 1957 yearbook from Arlington Heights High School (Yellow Jackets).

Page 52 is the beginning of the Sophomore Class. Bobby and Billy Hale’s pictures and names are on page 55. I know there is an age discrepancy between Lee Oswald and the Hale boys, but this yearbook is a pretty good indication, that they were all sophomores.

I would post photo copies of the yearbook pages, but this would violate copyright laws.

"Citing unreleased FBI documents, Hersh writes that Bobby joined his twin brother, Billy, in breaking into the Los Angeles apartment of Judith Exner, a woman who later acknowledged having an affair with Kennedy. An FBI agent observed the break-in on Aug. 7, 1962, but made no attempt to arrest the Hale boys, according to Hersh."

Marylin Monroe would die, in Los Angeles, 2 days later.

Robert Hale died in an Anchorage, Alaska jail in May of 2008.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2003/09/28/a-bulldozer-runs-through-it/a93f7e3a-eb8f-424e-a6f5-75adc3dcb39d/?utm_term=.9499a1640e33

Edited by Michael Clark

Yes, welcome Barry. Are you saying that Oswald appeared in the same yearbook as a sophomore, along with the Hale brothers?

Edited by Paul Brancato

Michael - The article you posted suggests that IB Hale, the dad, who was chairman of General Dynamics, was behind the break-in of Exner's pad by his sons because he was trying (successfully according to Hersh) to blackmail RFK into helping GD get a defense contract. This would appear to have nothing to do with Monroe's death two days later. 

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Michael - The article you posted suggests that IB Hale, the dad, who was chairman of General Dynamics, was behind the break-in of Exner's pad by his sons because he was trying (successfully according to Hersh) to blackmail RFK into helping GD get a defense contract. This would appear to have nothing to do with Monroe's death two days later. 

"Citing unreleased FBI documents, Hersh writes that Bobby joined his twin brother, Billy, in breaking into the Los Angeles apartment of Judith Exner, a woman who later acknowledged having an affair with Kennedy. An FBI agent observed the break-in on Aug. 7, 1962, but made no attempt to arrest the Hale boys, according to Hersh.

In the book, Hersh speculates that the break-in was part of a successful attempt by the Hales' father, I.B., then chief of security at General Dynamics, to blackmail Kennedy into giving the company a major defense contract."

Paul,

The article says "Kennedy". I presume that to mean JFK. It's an attempt to dig dirt on JFK, not RFK, assuming it did happen. 

I'm not averse to drawing attention to unbelievably uncanny circumstances like this. If  I were presenting serious research, I would present it as such.

Another uncanny circumstance.... Fred Korth, Secretery of the Navy following John Connally, having been previously been CEO of Bell Aerospace, resigned....

"... as Secretary of the Navy. In 1969 he was elected to the board of OKC Corporation in Dallas. Later that year Fred Korth's daughter Verita Korth, supposedly killed herself with a 20 gauge shotgun."

http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKkorth.htm

Edited by Michael Clark