The Education Forum

JFK Researchers

H.L. Mencken could have been talking about JFK researchers: “The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.”

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Jmencken.htm

H.L. Mencken could have been talking about JFK researchers: “The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.”

http://www.spartacus...uk/Jmencken.htm

Hi John, That reminds me of the libertarian quote often wrongfully attributed to Barry Goldwater that "Radicalism in the defense of liberty is no vice."

Most radicals, at least in my case and most of the radicals I know, a particular and personal incident is what knocks on out of the mainstream box. For me, that was 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, where I went as a nieve 17 year old volunteer clean for Gene McCarthy, the anti-Vietnam war candidate who knocked LBJ out of the box in the New Hampshire primary, which ushered in RFK and his assassination and the dawn of Nixon. I don't think I ever recovered, at least enough to vote.

I could also look at the radicalization of others - American Revolutionary war patriots, etc., to see incidents that propel one beyond just normal participation in civil politics.

BK

I agree with Mencken. Completely.

About five months the Warren Report was released (in September 1964), when I learned that the Zapruder film showed the President's head snappin violently backwards in response to the fatal shot, I was not just concerned, but angry and ticked off at the blatant coverup of a most basic fact: that President Kennedy appeared to have been struck in the head from the front.

Although my reasons for believing so have changed, nothing has changed that basic fact.

DSL

DSL

I agree with Mencken. Completely.

About five months [before] the Warren Report was released (in September 1964), when I learned that the Zapruder film showed the President's head snapped violently backwards in response to the fatal shot, I was not just concerned, but angry and ticked off at the blatant coverup of a most basic fact: that President Kennedy appeared to have been struck in the head from the front.

Although my reasons for believing so have changed, nothing has changed that basic fact.

DSL

DSL

Proofread your posts before posting, please. Thank you.

I posted the quote on my Spartacus Educational Facebook page. Jerry Okafor commented: "Bullxxxx. A radical is one that turns to violence or other underhanded tactics in other to promote or denigrate an ideology."

Well I guess that would include Washington, Madison and Jefferson, but exclude Gandhai and Martin Luther King, as they refused to turn to violence or underhanded tactics.

BK

JFKcountercoup