The Education Forum

WILL 100,000 Die at the London Olympics 2012 ?

http://policestatebr...n.blogspot.com/

Friday, July 03, 2009

The Electronic Police State Report - UK is joint 4th with Russia

==========================================

A report by internet security consultancy Cryptohippe has ranked the UK as being equally as repressive as Russia, in terms of having become an Electronic Police State.

This result emerges from Cryptohippie’s recently published Electronic Police State 2008 Report.

This is the first in what are intended to be a series of annual reports that will audit the "State use of electronic technologies to record, organize, search and distribute forensic evidence against its citizens".

The audit focusses on 17 factors, ranging from requirement to produce documents on demand, through to the extent to which states force ISP’s and phone companies to retain data, the blurring of boundaries between police and intelligence work and ultimately the breakdown of the principles of habeas corpus.

The UK has been ranked as having a score of 3.18 on the scale used, the same as the score obtained by Russia.

Only China, North Korea, and Belarus obtained higher scores, indicating that the UK is the most repressive electronic police state in Western society.

Well if “Cryptohippe” (sic) says so it must be true! The anonymously run company, which produced the anonymously written report (no citations), it should be noted sells privacy software thus has a vested interest in stoking concern over such issues.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://rt.com/news/uk-privacy-internet-freedom-186/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/may/01/internet-freedom-threat-hasty-legislation

#################################

UK PMs Internet Censorship Insinuation Receives Praise from China

You know your internet censorship plans are too strict when China praises you for it.

I’ll say this right off the bat, if someone told me one month ago that I would end up writing a headline like that, I would have told them they were insane. I am simply stunned that it has come to this.

Last Thursday, British Prime Minister said that he wanted to “stop people from communicating on social media” whenever that person is using it to instigate violence. A growing majority of observers are interpret this as meaning that he wants to block social media websites altogether whenever civil unrest is suspected.

Blocking social media has certainly caused some debate in many places – especially in the UK. The discussions around possibly censoring the internet has received international attention. This includes China. Chinese state media website Global Times weighed in on the debate suggesting that “Western” countries are coming to realize that free speech cannot go unhindered on the internet. From the report:

The British Government’s wariness of the Internet and Blackberry Messenger – symbols of freedom of speech – is a forced reaction, which might upset the Western world. Meanwhile, the open discussion of containment of the Internet in Britain has given rise to a new opportunity for the whole world. Media in the US and Britain used to criticize developing countries for curbing freedom of speech. Britain’s new attitude will help appease the quarrels between East and West over the future management of the Internet.

As for China, advocates of an unlimited development of the Internet should think twice about their original ideas.

On the Internet, there is no lack of posts and articles that incite public violence. They will cause tremendous damage once they are tweeted without control. At that time, all governments will have no other choice but to close down these websites and arrest those agitators.

Turbulence must lead to self-examination, otherwise it’ll lead to great peril in one’s destiny.

If you think that David Cameron is trying to censor the internet and that there is no difference between his policy and China’s policy, then this will no doubt pretty much cement that opinion. If you think that David Cameron should be censoring the internet, I think, for some, this revelation will make your position a little more uncomfortable.

I think that David Cameron should think very carefully how he plans on going forward on his plans to prevent rioting. On the one hand, the move to crack down on rioters will receive little resistance. On the other hand, trying to control the internet in any way is an extremely slippery slope with respect to free speech.

From Zero Paid:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/95119/uk-pms-internet-censorship-insinuation-receives-praise-from-china/

http://rt.com/news/u...et-freedom-186/

http://www.guardian....sty-legislation

#################################

UK PMs Internet Censorship Insinuation Receives Praise from China

You know your internet censorship plans are too strict when China praises you for it.

Two logical fallacies one from the author the other by Gaal.

Since the Chinese authorities are frequently criticized by the west for censorship it is natural that they would write approvingly of any censorship by the west even if it is milder than what they practice themselves

Right or wrong seeking to control social media does not make the UK a police state.

PLEASE BE AWAKE AND NOT ASLEEP AS CIVIL LIBERTIES SLOWLY SLIP AWAY AS SOME ESTABLISHMENT GENUFLECTORS HAVE A WANT TO DO........

UK Civil Liberties

Latest: Compulsory National Identification Cards - The Case Against

UK Civil liberties can't be taken for granted, they are constantly under threat. Every generation has to fight to keep the ones it has or lose them. Our freedoms take decades to win yet can disappear in a few months. It is the nature of governments of all colours to want to extend their power at the expense of the individual.

We're in a war - and we're losing.

The biggest current threat to UK civil liberties comes from the government's plans to introduce compulsory National Identity Cards for innocent British citizens. ID Cards turn citizens into suspects and deprive people of privacy. They must be resisted.

This page contains links to some of my writings on the subjects and links to some other sites of interest.

My Civil Liberties Articles

Compulsory National Identity Cards

The Case Against

UK Civil Liberties

New Labour's Record

Other Sites Concerning UK Civil Liberties, Privacy etc

Renew For Freedom

Renew your passport in May 2006

no2id

Site campaigning against the introduction of compulsory National Identity Cards

Liberty

Liberty - formally the National Council For Civil Liberties (NCCL)

notags.co.uk

UK consumers against the pervasive use of RFID

http://www.trevor-mendham.com/civil-liberties/index.html