The Education Forum

Turbo Stoves

I recently saw a home-made mini turbo stove in action (they're also called rocket stoves for anyone interesting in checking out what they are). It's probably one of the most remarkable things I've seen for a while. Immediately I could see third world applications, and they are being implemented. However, the beauty of the concept is that it is totally within everyone's (just about) capacity to build one and people have produced an amazing range and in some cases marketing products that kind of mystifies them. However, the concept is open source and as such one can conceptualise wide ranging applications including ones like instant hot water, cooking and room heating, in one.

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be nice if one could create sub-forums with topics. These turbo stoves are pretty neat. The best thing about them is that they are as free as one wants them to be.which ties in to another topic I started once and abandoned some time ago when I could see what's coming. Then I started the topic on FIAT and a couple of other related ones.

Apparently a number of important indicators are now in a converging pattern that to some is sufficient to predict a coming global meltdown and all we are seeing now is a jostling for position.

What can a poor boy do? indeed.

It's time to prepare. It's that simple.

Obviously the preparations must be rational. They must be positive, securing nutrition, no matter how basic, all around cut down on consumerist behavior and most importantly get rid of and take on no more debt.

Build collectives, seek to unite on a local and global level.

So, while this topic started as something about turbo stoves of which I'm slowly nutting out a (I think) new concept/variant, it's really about discussing ways that may help to maintain a basic positive life style and to be ready, before...

back to the stove.

an initial scribble representing some loose thinking on a multiuse turbo stove.

The factors afaiks are heat movement, air movement, tube fluid flow resistance, fuel feed, height and format of chimney and various other parts that can probably be refined both by known behaviours and practical experiments and in a fairly short time trim off, refine, add components.

I also think it should be scalable and possibly see what affect a solar el storage driven fan arrangement can have and whether that could be a significant addition.

<edit (typos) add. sorry, the attachment didn't work. I'll try to repost it later. my photobucket account is a bit funny re uploads at the moment>

Edited by John Dolva

• 2 weeks later...

1_fbc_ucw31.jpg

the spiraling tubes for water and air for secondary burn (wonder what a third burn would do?) form the inner skin of a double walled chimney. Then an outer insulating wall. So far it's just an idea that builds on some observations . I'm trying to do without any fan forced air. Another idea here is to create a (not only circulating air and water in the hot zone) spiraling exhaust but also a diffused injection of unburnt air into the secondary chamber the idea being to make the hot exhaust and the air and water spend more time in the chimney and somehow incorporate a heat exchange chamber to warm clean cold air for warming a dwelling though possibly the air between the inner chamber (of tubes) can have nothing to do with combustion hence no monoxide (which I understand is a main concern. Obviously safety must be taken seriously and any final prototype must consider all safety aspects. For now it's the stove mechanism to deal with.

Another idea is that (these stoves can be made to burn extremely hot from a low weight fuel load, they are not called turbo or rocket stoves for nothing,) after the fire's gone out a heat sink can be made so that heat trapped will radiate for some time . All around it's about generating max heat through a very rapid and near total combustion, wood, carbon and smoke leaving very little waste and trapping that heat most effectively for various uses.

edit typos

Edited by John Dolva

• 2 weeks later...

The Strling Engine !

• 2 weeks later...

There are many versions of the sterling angine. The above one I think is one of the best in simplicity. It shouldn't be hard to derive a schematic from various screencaps.

An idea:

How about the above turned upside down with the sun heating the base?

To me a main issue is having a steady output.

Some kind of governor, mechanical or electronic?

Why not a large one (I think simple upscaling should work) in the back yard to further enable a disconnect from the grid?

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva