The Education Forum

HAS THE GUARDIAN GONE MAD?

Steven Gaal

HAS THE GUARDIAN GONE MAD?

August 19, 2012 at 08:12

http://desertpeace.w...rdian-gone-mad/

====================================

Perhaps in hope of appeasing the satanic CIF Watch, the Guardian has hired a new team member that openly incited Israel to murder Americans taking part in future humanitarian flotillas to Gaza.

The Guardian has traditionally been a more or less honest source of news, that obviously is no longer the case.

New Guardian team member openly incited Israel to murder Alice Walker and others

Submitted by Ali Abunimah

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In a sad sign of its deterioration, The Guardian has hired a new contributor who openly called on the Israeli army to kill Americans sailing to Gaza, including Pulitzer prize-winning author Alice Walker and Kindertransport refugee Hedy Epstein.

In a statement on its website the newspaper says:

Today the Guardian announced the addition of Josh Treviño to their editorial team. Formerly of the Texas Public Policy Foundation, Treviño will be the newest Correspondent for the Guardian’s growing US politics team through his column “On Politics & Persuasion” which launches on Monday, August 20.

“We are pleased to have Josh join the Guardian,” said Janine Gibson, editor-in-chief of the Guardian US. “He brings an important perspective our readers look for on issues concerning US politics,” added Gibson.

Calls for murder

Apparently, one of those “perspectives” is that those who disagree with Treviño should be brutally murdered.

In June 2011, as several dozen Americans, including Walker and Epstein attempted to set sail from Greece to Gaza, to break Israel’s blockade along with boats from other countries, Treviño tweeted, “Dear IDF: If you end upshooting any Americans on the new Gaza flotilla – well, most Americans are cool with that. Including me.”

############################

The Texas Public Policy Foundation is listed as hosting Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity "investigative journalists." [1] The Franklin Center funds reporters in over 40 states.[2] Despite their non-partisan description, many of the websites funded by the Franklin Center have received criticism for their conservative bias.[3][4] On it's website, the Franklin Center clams that it "provides 10 percent of all daily reporting from state capitals nationwide." [5]

[/url]

Funding

The Franklin Center was launched by the Chicago-based Sam Adams Alliance (SAM), a 501©(3) devoted to pushing free-market ideals. SAM gets funding from the , which is partially funded by The Claude R. Lambe Foundation. , one of the billionaire brothers who co-own Koch Industries, sits on the board of this foundation. SAM also receives funding from the . The Franklin Center also receives funding from the Wisconsin-based , a conservative grant-making organization.

Edited by Steven Gaal

So Colby (ex-patriot) supports the killing of American protesters of Israel.

###############

TRUTHDIG

------------------

Why Did The Guardian Hire Josh Trevino?

Posted on Aug 21, 2012

michael.bruntonspall (CC BY 2.0)

Readers of The Guardian are up in arms over the addition of former George W. Bush speechwriter Joshua Trevino to the historically progressive newspaper’s American staff.

“We are pleased to have Josh join The Guardian,” Janine Gibson, editor-in-chief of The Guardian U.S., said in a press release published on the paper’s website Aug. 15. “He brings an important perspective our readers look for on issues concerning U.S. politics.”

But not every member of The Guardian’s audience believes so. A letter to the editor written by a group that included international human rights activists, artists and lawmakers appeared on the site’s “Guardian” section. The authors expressed “shock and dismay” at the addition of a man “who has openly called for the killing of people on humanitarian missions to Palestine.”

That claim refers to a tweet Trevino sent out in June 2011, when he condoned the killing of U.S. citizens and anyone else aboard the second Gaza flotilla dispatched to provide relief to inhabitants of the Gaza Strip. The trip was made in defiance of Israeli sanctions forbidding the movement of goods in and out of the roughly 40 square miles of territory that sit at the southwest border of Israel. Nine activists were killed and many more were wounded in a similar attempt in 2010.

Trevino’s tweet read: “Dear IDF: If you end up shooting any Americans on the new Gaza flotilla—well, most Americans are cool with that. Including me.” The flotilla’s passengers included poet and author Alice Walker, elderly Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein and several journalists, including Joseph Dana of The Nation, reported Ali Abunimah of Al-Jazeera.

Trevino later claimed that he didn’t “urge” the Israel Defense Forces to kill Americans aboard the fleet, but would merely approve of the killings if they took place, saying that any goods allowed to enter into Gaza would amount to material support for Hamas, the region’s ruling party. The United States and Israel recognize Hamas as a terrorist organization.

“It is a sad day for responsible and impartial journalism when the opinions of such a man are sought as an ‘important perspective’ (the words of Janine Gibson, editor-in-chief of the Guardian U.S.) by a supposedly progressive publication,” the letter appearing on The Guardian’s site concluded.

A few days after the paper announced Trevino’s hire, Abunimah, writing at the Qatar-based Al-Jazeera, blew the horn on the paper’s pick, highlighting Trevino’s flotilla tweet and his subsequent likening of the relief action to that of a “Nazi convoy.”

“Trevino is a Republican party operative, paid political consultant and ideologue for hire,” Abunimah wrote. “But while some may not like those attributes, they would not make him unique among columnists. What does distinguish Trevino is his propensity to call for violence.”

In response to Abunimah’s piece, which deserves to be read in full, The Guardian demanded a correction of Abunimah’s assertion that Trevino would serve as a “correspondent.”

“Josh Trevino is not a correspondent for The Guardian,” the paper wrote in a letter to Abunimah. “He is a freelance writer on contract to write opinion pieces. His articles will appear on The Guardian’s Comment is Free section of the site along with articles from many other freelance writers.”

But as Helen Lewis at the New Stateman pointed out, The Guardian did announce the addition of Trevino as a correspondent—in the first version of its press release. A second, unannounced, revised version said nothing about Trevino’s recruitment to the “editorial team,” as the first version had done explicitly. The Guardian pointed to that version to make the odd claim that it merely kept Trevino—formerly an occasional contributor to the site—on its writing staff.

As Lewis wrote, “Now, there’s chutzpah: silently editing your own press release, then asking for a ‘correction’ to reflect the new information.”

Lewis contacted The Guardian to request an explanation of the revision. A representative meekly responded that the description of Trevino as a correspondent was “a simple mistake” and that there is, despite the paper’s earlier announcement of his hire, “no change to Josh’s position.” But that makes no sense.

—Posted by Alexander Reed Kelly. Follow him on Twitter: @areedkelly.

Ali Abunimah at Al-Jazeera:

A colleague suggested that, by hiring Treviño, The Guardian was returning to its Zionist roots - indeed it had long championed the cause of Israel and Zionist settlement in Palestine. That might be true incidentally, however the motive appears to be something more mundane, but just as worrying for public discourse.

The Guardian has been losing tens of millions of dollars annually as its print circulation - like that of other newspapers - collapses. While it has an enormous and growing online audience, it has yet to find a way to sustainably generate revenue from it.

… To stop the losses that threaten to bankrupt parent company Guardian News and Media within a few years, its business plan calls for income from online advertising to double to $140 million by 2016.

… The solution, it seems, is to move rightwards in search of new audiences. “If, for example, the website’s American traffic reached 40 million, it would make it on to the schedules of major advertising agencies,” [New Statesman writer Peter] Wilby explains.

Read more

—Posted by Alexander Reed Kelly.

Edited by Steven Gaal

• 3 weeks later...

I say I am not a RON PAUL SUPPORTER .+ YET YOU BRING IT UP AGAIN IN THE DOONYBOOK THREAD. I HAD ALREADY ANSWERED NO.YOU SAY SAY IM DODGING THE QUESTION > HOW ABOUT WE NOT BELIEVE YOU ????????????

#######################

###############

I say I am not a RON PAUL SUPPORTER .+ YET YOU BRING IT UP AGAIN IN THE DOONYBOOK THREAD. I HAD ALREADY ANSWERED NO.YOU SAY SAY IM DODGING THE QUESTION > HOW ABOUT WE NOT BELIEVE YOU ????????????

#######################

###############

My you're dense! Just as you repeatedly citing of GlobalResearch and (to a lesser extent) CounterPunch doesn't mean that you subscribe to all the views of those who write for those sites my occasionally citing the Guardian does mean I subscribe to views that douche bag expressed elsewhere. No to mention I've spent far less time on this thread than you have on the Ron Paul one

My you're dense! Just as you repeatedly citing of GlobalResearch and (to a lesser extent) CounterPunch doesn't mean that you subscribe to all the views of those who write for those sites my occasionally citing the Guardian does mean I subscribe to views that douche bag expressed elsewhere. No to mention I've spent far less time on this thread than you have on the Ron Paul one

So? Your favorite site GlobalResearch publishes articles by Gilad Atzmon who is anti-Semitic and CounterPunch which you also cite frequently publishes a column by Israel Shamir who is a Holocaust denier. // end Colby

+++++++++++++++++

Golly, Im dense enough to be called a Holocaust denier by implication.

That would only be the case if I were to accept your “logic” and apply it to you, but I think it's absurd as I've said on every post on this thread. I don't know how to make this any simpler for you, you seem to have trouble understanding plain Angol. But you buy into all sorts of kooky CTs and obviously have a 'Jewish problem' so it wouldn't surprise me if you were a Holocaust denier or became one; Fetzer has stated going down that path, so why not you?

Edited by Len Colby

Maybe Colby's favorite new band ,Pussy Riot, has a " Jew problem".

The highly publicized Pussy Riot trial that resulted in a two-year prison sentence for three members has put Russia’s strict leadership in the spotlight. In an

, Putin brought up some of their lesser-publicized stunts.

For example, not many people know that one member of Pussy Riot erected effigies saying: “Jews, gays and migrant workers should be driven out of Moscow.”

#########################################

Josh Treviño should wright for Arutz Sheva ,not the Guardian. The Guardian implies writing and protecting the truth. Treviño is a KOCH brother hack. You say I have an agenda...how about the KOCH brothers ????

Edited by Steven Gaal

Wow within 41 minutes of my 1st message on the PC forum yesterday you post your 1st reply and over the following 48 minutes you made 4 more replies totaling nearly 3000 words not to mention 600 word post made on the JFK forum a few minutes later. It seems as if you spend every waking hour moinitoring this forum or churning out posts.

Maybe Colby's favorite new band ,Pussy Riot, has a " Jew problem".

The highly publicized Pussy Riot trial that resulted in a two-year prison sentence for three members has put Russia’s strict leadership in the spotlight. In an

, Putin brought up some of their lesser-publicized stunts.

For example, not many people know that one member of Pussy Riot erected effigies saying: “Jews, gays and migrant workers should be driven out of Moscow.”

So says Putin, get back to us with independent confirmation. IF true do you think she should be jailed for that? IF true should the other members of the band be jailed for what she did before she joined?

#########################################

Josh Treviño should wright for Arutz Sheva ,not the Guardian. The Guardian implies writing and protecting the truth. Treviño is a KOCH brother hack. You say I have an agenda...how about the KOCH brothers ????

Do you have any evidence he is not honest? The editors of the Guardian seem to be enlightened enough to allow a range of view points to be presented to there readers. What evidence is there that he "is a KOCH brother hack"?

Edited by Len Colby

What evidence is there that he "is a KOCH brother hack"? // END Colby POST #1

Do you have any evidence he is not honest? // end COLBY Treviño tweeted, “Dear IDF: If you end upshooting any Americans on the new Gaza flotilla – well, most Americans are cool with that. Including me.”

What evidence is there that he "is a KOCH brother hack"? // END Colby POST #1

Do you have any evidence he is not honest? // end COLBY Treviño tweeted, “Dear IDF: If you end upshooting any Americans on the new Gaza flotilla – well, most Americans are cool with that. Including me.”

One could reasonably argue this proves he is a right-wing nut and/or an a$$hole etc. but it in no way indicates “he is not honest...[or] a KOCH brother hack". In any case the Guardian dropped him.