The Education Forum

Was Oswald stopped by Sawyer near the TSBD front entrance?

In his WC testimony Inspector J. Herbert Sawyer recalled his actions some four minutes after the assassination:

Mr. SAWYER. And I went with a couple of officers and a man who I believed worked in the building. The elevator was just to the right of the main entrance ...

Mr. BELIN. Now you took an elevator up, is that correct?

Mr. SAWYER. That's right.

Mr. BELIN. The route that you took to the elevator, you went to the front door?

Mr. SAWYER. Right.

Mr. BELIN. Then what did you do?

Mr. SAWYER. We got into the elevator. We run into this man.

Who is the man they "run into"? The man "who I believed worked in the building" or a different man altogether? "We run into this man" is tantalisingly ambiguous.

Belin, of course, doesn't inquire any further.

Compare this from the WC testimony of postal inspector Harry D. Holmes on the score of what Oswald said in custody on the Sunday morning:

Mr. BELIN. By the way, where did this policeman stop him when he was coming down the stairs at the Book Depository on the day of the shooting?

Mr. HOLMES. He said it was in the vestibule.

Mr. BELIN. He said he was in the vestibule?

Mr. HOLMES. Or approaching the door to the vestibule. He was just coming, apparently, and I have never been in there myself. Apparently there is two sets of doors, and he had come out to this front part.

Mr. BELIN. Did he state it was on what floor?

Mr. HOLMES. First floor. The front entrance to the first floor.

Mr. HOLMES. There was a commotion outside, which he later rushed downstairs to go out to see what was going on. He didn't say whether he took the stairs down. He didn't say whether he took the elevator down.

But he went downstairs, and as he went out the front, it seems as though he did have a coke with him, or he stopped at the coke machine, or somebody else was trying to get a coke, but there was a coke involved.

He mentioned something about a coke. But a police officer asked him who he was, and just as he started to identify himself, his superintendent came up and said, "He is one of our men." And the policeman said, "Well, you step aside for a little bit."

Then another man rushed in past him as he started out the door, in this vestibule part of it, and flashed some kind of credential and he said, "Where is your telephone, where is your telephone, and said I am so and so, where is your telephone."

And he said, "I didn't look at the credential. I don't know who he said he was, and I just pointed to the phone and said, 'there it is,' and went on out the door."

Might not Oswald have been the man whom Sawyer recalled having "run into" as he went to get on the passenger elevator?

Might not Sawyer have been the officer Oswald recalled having stopped him in or approaching the "vestibule" (a word which, lest we forget, means front lobby of a building)?

And might not the man Sawyer "believed worked in the building" have been the man Holmes recalled Oswald's having called his "superintendent"?

Do we have the makings of a fuller Oswald timeline here?

1. Second-floor lunchroom coke.

2. Through second-floor office area (seen by Jeraldean Reid).

3. Down to first floor by stairs or passenger elevator.

4. Encounter with Sawyer by stairs or elevator just off first-floor front lobby.

5. Encounter with credential-showing, phone-seeking man in front lobby.

6. Exit from building.

Edited by Sean Murphy

In his WC testimony Inspector J. Herbert Sawyer recalled his actions some four minutes after the assassination:

Mr. SAWYER. And I went with a couple of officers and a man who I believed worked in the building. The elevator was just to the right of the main entrance ...

Mr. BELIN. Now you took an elevator up, is that correct?

Mr. SAWYER. That's right.

Mr. BELIN. The route that you took to the elevator, you went to the front door?

Mr. SAWYER. Right.

Mr. BELIN. Then what did you do?

Mr. SAWYER. We got into the elevator. We run into this man.

Who is the man they "run into"? The man "who I believed worked in the building" or a different man altogether? "We run into this man" is tantalisingly ambiguous.

Belin, of course, doesn't inquire any further.

Compare this from the WC testimony of postal inspector Harry D. Holmes on the score of what Oswald said in custody on the Sunday morning:

Mr. BELIN. By the way, where did this policeman stop him when he was coming down the stairs at the Book Depository on the day of the shooting?

Mr. HOLMES. He said it was in the vestibule.

Mr. BELIN. He said he was in the vestibule?

Mr. HOLMES. Or approaching the door to the vestibule. He was just coming, apparently, and I have never been in there myself. Apparently there is two sets of doors, and he had come out to this front part.

Mr. BELIN. Did he state it was on what floor?

Mr. HOLMES. First floor. The front entrance to the first floor.

Mr. HOLMES. There was a commotion outside, which he later rushed downstairs to go out to see what was going on. He didn't say whether he took the stairs down. He didn't say whether he took the elevator down.

But he went downstairs, and as he went out the front, it seems as though he did have a coke with him, or he stopped at the coke machine, or somebody else was trying to get a coke, but there was a coke involved.

He mentioned something about a coke. But a police officer asked him who he was, and just as he started to identify himself, his superintendent came up and said, "He is one of our men." And the policeman said, "Well, you step aside for a little bit."

Then another man rushed in past him as he started out the door, in this vestibule part of it, and flashed some kind of credential and he said, "Where is your telephone, where is your telephone, and said I am so and so, where is your telephone."

And he said, "I didn't look at the credential. I don't know who he said he was, and I just pointed to the phone and said, 'there it is,' and went on out the door."

Might not Oswald have been the man whom Sawyer recalled having "run into" as he went to get on the passenger elevator?

Might not Sawyer have been the officer Oswald recalled having stopped him in or approaching the "vestibule" (a word which, lest we forget, means front lobby of a building)?

And might not the man Sawyer "believed worked in the building" have been the man Holmes recalled Oswald's having called his "superintendent"?

Do we have the makings of a fuller Oswald timeline here?

1. Second-floor lunchroom coke.

2. Through second-floor office area (seen by Jeraldean Reid).

3. Down to first floor by stairs or passenger elevator.

4. Encounter with Sawyer by stairs or elevator just off first-floor front lobby.

5. Encounter with credential-showing, phone-seeking man in front lobby.

6. Exit from building.

How about the possibility of including (between "5" and "6", the Dallas Morning News (or was it Times-Herald) report quoting Ochus Campbell stating that Oswald was observed (briefly) in the (or "a") storage room. That quote belongs here, if you're going to lay out the possibility that perhaps Oswald was deliberately "held" inside the building, until the station wagon appeared, out in front. Just a thought.

DSL

Edited by David Lifton

How about the possibility of including (between "5" and "6", the Dallas Morning News (or was it Times-Herald) report quoting Ochus Campbell stating that Oswald was observed (briefly) in the (or "a") storage room. That quote belongs here, if you're going to lay out the possibility that perhaps Oswald was deliberately "held" inside the building, until the station wagon appeared, out in front. Just a thought.

DSL

Here's what Kent Biffle picked up about an Oswald-cop encounter (column 4):

StorageRoomBiffle.jpg

It's generally assumed that Ochus Campbell must have misunderstood Truly's reference to the second-floor lunchroom. I'm not so sure.

Incidentally there was a small storage room right by the stairway just off the front lobby.

Storageroommarked.jpg

Hey there Sean... been pounding on the desk for a while about THAT MAN who Sawyer and his two buddies run into as they are going into the elevator.. we are not sure if this man is leaving the elevator or just in front of it, but it seems to suggest that this man is getting off the elevator...

or... "this man" could be referring back to the man who he believed worked at the building... if this was Truly then the entire Baker/Truly episode is a charade... never happened, at least not as told.

I mentioned in a different thread that Fritz, in his 3:15pm 11/22 interview notes wrote "claims 2nd floor Coke when off came in" and this can either be recorded at the time of the questioning or days later...

If at the time, then we can see the development of the 2nd floor story as Greg's thread eludes to.... if later, then this is added in to lend credibility to the revised story...

The most truthful of events appears to be Baker's affidavit yet how can Truly be talking with Sawyer unless it is AFTER he has gone up and come down with Baker...

Sawyer is not back at the front of the TSBD until after 12:37... Baker and Truly went up to the 7th and back down by then... one would assume..

That Oswald would be on the first floor at 12:32 is no big stretch... as he was not above the 2nd floor after 11:50...

Something I had not noticed before... yet I believe was mentioned in some of the parallel threads - the DPD and sheriff keep trying to claim that the building was closed off... no one leaving or entering

when I think we see repeatedly that MANY employees of the TSBD we TOLD to return to the building by DPD.

Mr. BALL - How did you happen to turn around and see Truly and the policeman go into the building?

Mr. LOVELADY - Somebody hollered and I looked.

Mr. BALL - You turned around and looked?

Mr. LOVELADY - Yes.

Mr. BALL - After you ran to the railroad tracks you came back and went in the back door of the building?

Mr. LOVELADY - Right.

Mr. BALL - Did you go in through the docks, the wide open door or did you go in the ordinary Small door?

Mr. LOVELADY - You know where we park our trucks--that door; we have a little door.

Mr. BALL - That is where you went in, that little door?

Mr. LOVELADY - That's right.

Mr. BALL - That would be the north end of the building?

Mr. LOVELADY - That would be the west end, wouldn't it?

Mr. BALL - Is it the one right off Houston Street?

Mr. LOVELADY - No; you are thinking about another dock.

Mr. BALL - I am?

Mr. LOVELADY - Yes; we have two.

Mr. BALL - Do you have a dock on the west side and one on the north side of the building?

Mr. LOVELADY - East, and well, it would be east and west but you enter it from the south side.

Mr. BALL - Now, the south side---

Mr. LOVELADY - Elm Street is that little dead-end street.

Mr. BALL - That's south.

Mr. LOVELADY - I drive my truck here (indicating) but we came in from this direction; that would have to be west.

Mr. BALL - You came into the building from the west side?

Mr. LOVELADY - Right.

Mr. BALL - Where did you go into the building?

Mr. LOVELADY - Through that, those raised-up doors.

Mr. BALL - Through the raised-up doors?

Mr. LOVELADY - Through that double door that we in the morning when we get there we raised. There's a fire door and they have two wooden doors between it.

Mr. BALL - You came in through the first floor?

Mr. LOVELADY - Right.

more proof that going into and out of the TSBD before 1pm that day was not difficult...

Mr. BELIN. And then you went through your actions, what you saw, your conversations that you had, and your actions in going back into the building and up to the point that you saw Lee Harvey Oswald?

Mrs. REID. That is right.

Mr. BELIN. Do you remember how long by the stopwatch it took you?

Mrs. REID. Approximately 2 minutes.

Mr. DULLES. I didn't hear you.

Mrs. REID. Two minutes.

Mr. BELIN. From the time of the last shot the time you and Oswald crossed?

Mrs. REID. Yes; I believe that is the way we timed it.

Sawyer is not into the TSBD until 12:34 at the earliest and goes directly to the front elevator when he sees THIS MAN

If Reid sees Oswald heading EAST and then goes down to the first floor...

and Sawyer is entering the TSBD a minute or two later... it's hard to imagine them not crossing paths... especially with others seeing Oswald by/in that storage closet...

If the entire Coke episode is real - according to Reid, Truly, Baker and Fritz's notes of what Oswald said - why doesn't Baker's affidavit tell the correct story?

As Greg says, once it was discovered Oswald was on the 2nd floor and has bought a coke and was NOT seen by Baker/Truly... the story had to change...

Confirmation about Gloria:

Mr. BALL - Now, when Gloria came up you were standing near Mr. Shelley?

Mr. LOVELADY - Yeah.

Mr. BALL - When Gloria came up and said the President had been shot, Gloria Calvary, what did you do? (again amazing how many times this man says the name Calvary and yet she is STILL not called)

Mr. LOVELADY - Well, I asked who told her. She said he had been shot so we asked her was she for certain or just had she seen the shot hit him or--she said yes, she had been right close to it to see and she had saw the blood and knew he had been hit but didn't know how serious it was and so the crowd had started towards the railroad tracks back, you know, behind our building there and we run towards that little, old island and kind of down there in that little street. We went as far as the first tracks and everybody was hollering and crying and policemen started running out that way and we said we better get back into the building, so we went back into the west entrance on the back dock had that low ramp and went into the back dock back inside the building.

Ms. Calvary was NOT called to testify

and the DPD was actually telling people to go BACK TO THE BUILDING -

at approximately the same time the building is supposed to be secured...

SHELLEY was Oswald's "supervisor" and if SHELLEY goes up with the police - would that be him going with SAWYER and the two other cops?

(I know it says "his superintendent" as told by Holmes... but that COULD have been Shelley, no?

Mr. BALL - Did you know Lee Oswald?

Mr. SHELLEY - He worked for me.

Mr. BELIN. Then how do you explain that when you got to the fifth floor, one of the elevators was not there?

Mr. TRULY. I don't know, sir. I think one of my boys was getting stock off the fifth floor on the back side, and probably moved the elevator at the time somewheres between the time we were running upstairs. And I would not have remembered that. I mean I wouldn't have really heard that, with the commotion we were making running up the enclosed stairwell.

Mr. BELIN. Did you see anyone on the fifth floor?

Mr. TRULY. Yes. When coming down I am sure I saw Jack Dougherty getting some books off the fifth floor.

Now, this is so dim in my mind that I could be making a mistake.

But I believe that he was getting some stock, that he had already gone back to work, and that he was getting some stock off the fifth floor.

Mr. BELIN. You really don't know who was operating the elevator, then, is that correct?

Mr. TRULY. That is correct.

Mr. BELIN. What is your best guess?

Mr. TRULY. My best guess is that Jack Dougherty was.

Mr. BELIN. Now, after you got down from the seventh floor, you then went down to the sixth floor with Officer Baker?

Mr. TRULY. Yes.

Mr. BELIN. Did he look around on the sixth floor at all or not?

Mr. TRULY. Just before we got on the elevator on the seventh floor, Officer Baker ran over and looked in a little room on the seventh floor, and glanced around on that floor, which is open, and it didn't take much of a search. And then we reached the sixth floor. I stopped. He glanced over the sixth floor quickly.

Mr. BELIN. Could you see the southeast corner of the sixth floor from there?

Mr. TRULY. I don't think so; no, sir. You could not.

Mr. BELIN. Then what?

Mr. TRULY. Then we continued on down, and we saw officers on the fourth floor.

I don't recall that we stopped any more until we reached the first floor. But I do recall there was an officer on the fourth floor, by the time we got down that far.

OK, so we have Dougherty going back to work within 2 minutes of the final shots

This is either Sawyer or an uniformed person left on the 4th floor... with B&T coming back down we are looking at approx 12:36/7

This man with credentials in the building, on the 5th floor immediately after the shots, telling Mr. D here to go find Truly... (yet another unaccounted for person, in the building, moving between the 4th, 5th and 6th floors)...

Mr. BALL - Did you hear Mr. Truly yell anything up the elevator shaft?

Mr. DOUGHERTY - I didn't hear anybody yell.

Mr. BALL - Or, did you see Mr. Truly?

Mr. DOUGHERTY - Well, when the FBI men---I imagine it was who it was---he showed me his credentials, but he asked me who the manager was, and I told him, "Mr. Truly." He told me to go find him. Well, I didn't know where he was so I started from the first floor and Just started looking for him, and by the time I got to the sixth floor, they had found a gum and shells.

Mr. BALL - Are you sure you were on the fifth floor when you heard the shots?

Mr. DOUGHERTY - Yes, I'm positive.

Mr. BALL - Did you see any other employee on the fifth floor?

Mr. DOUGHERTY - No, sir; I didn't see nobody---there wasn't nobody on the fifth floor at all---it was just myself.

So either we're going to start the "Men added to the windows in Powell and Dillard" thread (kidding) or Mr. D here just did not see them on the other side of the floor...

he was only by the west elevator on the opposite side of the 5th floor.

So not only do we have this "FBI" man talking to Dougherty, but our three black men say nothing of Dougherty or a "FBI" man.

As JD leaves the 5th floor our three men encounter this FBI man?

Mr. BALL. And Junior--that is Junior Jarman-were standing where they would have seen anyone coming down from the sixth floor by way of the stairs. Did you tell them that?

Mr. WILLIAMS. I could not possibly have told him that, because you cannot see anything coming down from that position.

Mr. BALL. And that you did not see anyone coming down.

Mr. WILLIAMS. No, sir. An elephant could walk by there, and you could not see him.

Mr. WILLIAMS. After we stood at the west window for a while, we decided to go down. Then we left.

Mr. BALL. How did you go down?

Mr. WILLIAMS. By stairs.

Mr. BALL. Where did you go?

Mr. WILLIAMS. We went to the fourth floor first. Then we paused for a minute there, where we saw these women looking out of the window. Then we decided to go down to the first floor, and we ran on down.

Mr. BALL. When you got to the first floor, what did you see there?

Mr. McCLOY. How did you get to the first floor?

Mr. WILLIAMS. By stairs.

Mr. DULLES. There were some people on the fourth floor?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Yes, sir. I remember seeing maybe two or three women standing in the window, looking out the window.

Mr. DULLES. Looking out the window?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Yes, sir.

Mr. McCLOY. Which stairway did they take, west or east?

Mr. BALL. There was only one stairway, and that is the one in the corner. Did you run down stairs?

Mr. WILLIAMS. Yes, sir; we ran.

So if we are to believe this man... Vickie et al were still at the window MUCH LATER than they say... might not / COULD not have heard anyone moving on the stairs across the entire floor from them

and would naturally have not run into Oswald, Baker or Truly as their activity happens earlier.

Sorry if my post tries to take a number of different points and combine them into a picture to describe the scene in those first few minutes... This is why I;ve been working on a spreadsheet timeline that allows us to track time along one axis and people along the other... if/when I can get it done it will be my gift to the Forum - a searchable, minute by minute account that SHOULD expose inconsistencies in stories, timelines and activities.

DJ

Hi Sean

Miles posted this on Duncan's forum.

Re; Elevator

click on image to read full size:

0492001.gif

Thanks, David.

Let's list the 'TSBD-suspect-cop-encounter' stories that circulated:

1. Oswald seen in a "storage room" (or "small storage room") on the first floor just after assassination (source: Ochus Campbell, 11/22/63);

2. Oswald stopped at front entrance or in/near front lobby on way out of building to see the 'excitement'/'commotion' (sources: Oswald in custody, as reported by Harry Holmes; earliest DPD statements to press, e.g. Detective Ed Hicks; Billy Lovelady to Harold Norman, as recalled by the latter in his HSCA interview);

3. Man wearing light-brown jacket seen walking away from the rear stairway by Officer Baker (source: Baker's 11/22 affidavit);

4. Oswald challenged by Baker in second-floor lunchroom (source: Truly's late 11/22 FBI interview; Truly & Baker's WC testimony).

Now the tempting thing to do with to these competing narratives, and the thing that most researchers understandably have done, is to assume that #1, #2 and #3 are merely misreportings of #4.

There may however be another way of looking at this: that #4 is a fictionalisation of elements contained in #1, #2 and #3.

Thus for instance one might single out #3 for special consideration and construct an alternative hypothesis around it:

a. Baker and Truly charge into building

b. They encounter no-one--neither Oswald nor some other suspect--en route to the roof

c. Oswald, meanwhile, has been in the second floor office area getting change for a coke from Geneva Hine (as per Robert Groden's recent indications)

d. Oswald buys coke in second-floor lunchroom, goes back through office area where he is seen by Jeraldean Reid, goes downstairs and is stopped by Sawyer (or one of the officers with him) before exiting the building

e. Back at DPD HQ the story of Baker's dash plus the story of Oswald's having been stopped on his way out of the building is causing anxiety. In order to secure Oswald's guilt, Baker is pressurised into inserting a false 3rd/4th-floor "man walking away from the stairway" story into his affidavit. Never having actually met Oswald, Baker dutifully relays an approximation of the generic police broadcast description (5-foot-10, 165 pounds) and for extra verisimilitude is told to add a key detail that has already reached police ears from Tippit witnesses: the suspect was wearing a tan jacket

f. This bogus 3rd-4th floor story unravels that afternoon however as word gets around that a female employee is claiming loudly to have gone straight to the rear stairway immediately after the shooting

g. The Baker-suspect encounter must be transplanted to a less visible place. Fifth floor is out, as Jack Dougherty is telling people he was there. It is however known that Oswald bought a coke in the second-floor lunchroom just after the assassination. Cue damage-limatation exercise: a hastily improvised revision of the 3rd-4th-floor rear stairway story in the form of a second-floor lunchroom story. This apocryphal story will become the canonical story from this point forward.

h. But first a wrinkle in that story needs to be ironed out. At first the story is given extra solidity by having Oswald being seen drinking a coke when he is spotted by Baker. Due to timing issues, the problem of Baker's non-line-of-sight from the second-floor landing to the lunchroom as well as the need to incorporate some sort of 'walking away' element into the phoney story, the coke is soon disclaimed and Oswald is hereafter said to have been glimpsed moving behind the glass door leading to the connecting corridor.

Hi Sean

Miles posted this on Duncan's forum.

Re; Elevator

click on image to read full size:

0492001.gif

Thanks, Robin. My understanding though is that Shelley is referring here to the freight elevator at the rear of the building rather than the front-of-house passenger elevator.

These are great points to ponder, Sean. I wonder, though, how we can reconcile Oswald's seeming purchase of a Coke with the fact so many unconnected witnesses saw someone fitting his description running and entering the Rambler. Did he chug the Coke down? Can't imagine him carrying a soft drink with him in that scenario.

I've always suspected it was Oswald seen entering the Rambler, not merely because of the corroborating testimony of those witnesses, but because it best explains he absence in any post-assassination photos. I certainly don't buy the tortured official timeline, which has him leaving at 12:33 and embarking on the bus/cab sojourn. Thus, I'm assuming he left quickly in some other way, or else he should have shown up in an outside photo or two.

As always, I like your thinking and value your contributions.

Thanks, Don.

Re. the Rambler issue: not sure the coke plays much either way, given that Craig timestamps that incident to 12:40.

Doesn't the Coke come back into the picture with Baker recanting on the Coke story....?

He tries to claim that Oswald did NOT have a Coke in order to cut down on the timing, right?

Yet this flies in the face of Reid's testimony...

Does he leave with the bottle in his hands? There's no Coke in the Bus story or the Cab story...

I know others don't like the 2 Oswalds idea... but both being there, or in and around the area, at the same time would create some interesting post-assassination sighting stories... to help confuse things...

It makes sense to have a few look alikes leaving in different directions... reduces the credibility of each individual story...

One of those after thoughts... would have been interesting to have that Coke bottle and see if the prints matched the man they arrested at the theater....

DJ

EXHIBIT A:

Joint report by FBI agents Bookhout & Hosty of 11/22 Oswald interrogation, dictated 11/23:

Oswald stated that he went to lunch at approximately noon and he claimed he ate his lunch on the first floor in the lunchroom; however he went to the second floor where the Coca-Cola machine was located and obtained a bottle of Coca-Cola for his lunch. Oswald claimed to be on the first floor when President John F. Kennedy passed this building.

EXHIBIT B:

Solo report by FBI agent Bookhout of 11/22 Oswald interrogation, dicated 11/24:

Oswald stated that on November 22, 1963, at the time of the search of the Texas School Book Depository building by Dallas police officers, he was on the second floor of said building, having just purchased a Coca-cola form the soft-drink machine, at which time a police officer came into the room with pistol drawn and asked him if he worked there. Mr. Truly was present and verified that he was an employee and the police officer thereafter left the room and continued through the building. Oswald stated that he took this Coke down to the first floor and stood around and had lunch in the employees lunch room.

I believe the earlier report, co-written while Oswald is still alive, may be more trustworthy than Bookhout's solo supplement.

The former makes reference to a visit by Oswald to the second-floor lunchroom but not to any incident there involving an officer and Mr. Truly.

The latter has the now deceased Oswald confirming the story which Roy Truly has been putting on the record since the evening of the assassination: Oswald was challenged in the second-floor lunchroom by an officer.

Now the earlier report has Oswald make an extremely significant claim:

He was "on the first floor when President John F. Kennedy passed this building".

Put the case that Oswald really did say this and that he was telling the truth on this score.

A simple question is raised:

What made an innocent Oswald think he knew when exactly the President had passed the building?

In an attempt to answer this question, I would like to add to the hypothetical alternative timeline sketched in an earlier post:

• Oswald is having lunch in the domino room.
  • He notices Jarman & Norman re-enter the building via the Houston St. back entrance and, not knowing that they are en route up to the fifth floor to watch the parade, assumes that the President must have just passed the building.
  • At some point after this Oswald goes up to the second-floor lunchroom to buy a coke.
  • He gets change for the machine from Geneva Hine (as per Robert Groden's recent indications).
  • Buys second-floor lunchroom coke.
  • Through second-floor office area (seen by Jeraldean Reid).
  • Down to first floor by stairs or passenger elevator.
  • Encounter with Sawyer by stairs or elevator just off first-floor front lobby.
  • Encounter with credential-showing, phone-seeking man in front lobby.
  • Exit from building.

​On this scenario, Oswald's line of self-defence in custody will have been severely hampered by the fact that his own timestamp of the actual assassination was off by several minutes.

He had an alibi but didn't realise it.

Edited by Sean Murphy

• 4 years later...