Jump to content
The Education Forum

NY Times Magazine: "Keeping Up With the Kennedys"

Douglas Caddy

Recommended Posts

Guest Tom Scully

Douglas, you presented this in a way where readers must click on the NY Times link to read what

you were impressed enough with, to share.

I'm posting a hint of what readers will find at the link you posted.:


Joseph P. Kennedy III is running for the Congressional seat in Massachusetts that Barney Frank has held since 1981.


Published: September 12, 2012

.....It’s safe to say that the recent past has not been a glorious one for the extended Kennedy clan. When Patrick J. Kennedy relinquished his Rhode Island House seat in early 2011, it marked the first time since 1947 that there was no Kennedy in national elected office. Then, in May, Mary Richardson Kennedy, the estranged wife of Robert F. Kennedy Jr., hanged herself in her Westchester County barn. Because of a public fight over funeral arrangements, some members of the Richardson family did not attend the service. Weeks later, Kerry Kennedy, the ex-wife of Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York, ran into a tractor-trailer on an Interstate highway in New York and continued driving to the next exit despite a flat passenger-side tire. Then Conor Kennedy, the 18-year-old son of Robert Kennedy Jr. and Mary Richardson Kennedy, began a romance with the pop star Taylor Swift, which was relentlessly covered by the tabloids. Swift reportedly bought a $4.9 million home near the Kennedys’ Hyannis Port compound.

By comparison, Joe Kennedy spent the summer traveling in Massachusetts’ newly redrawn Fourth District — the one that Barney Frank has represented since 1981, a year after Kennedy was born. Last winter, after Frank announced his retirement, Kennedy moved into the district and soon began his campaign. During the past few months, he has visited senior citizens at bingo night in Taunton, eaten gluten-free cupcakes at a bakery in Millis, cheered at a tractor pull in Rehoboth and greeted Green Line commuters. ...


Since Swift's name is mentioned, I'll add this. I stumbled onto it when I was researching Tenney's name last month.:

(Who were the Kennedy brothers, circa 1947 to 1968, just a couple of clueless, jovial ambitious fools surrounded by enemies they thought were their friends? There is no reliable answer, because not much research has been done regarding the strange coincidence of the Kennedys living literally in the laps of their political enemies, and constantly socializing with them. During JFK's presidency, when he was not under the watchful eye of his Tenney neighbor in Hyannis, he was at his leased home in Virginia, Glen Ora, owned by the Byfield/Macomber/Bush/Fitzgerald/Hoy-Crown, Byfield family.)


Taylor Swift and the Kennedys: A Weird, Yet Plausible Explanation

08/15/12 2:22pm

An 80 year real estate rivalry may be the back story for what’s really going on between 22 year old country singer Taylor Swift and the Kennedy family in Hyannisport, Massachusetts. There’s a weird yet plausible explanation for the recent real estate transaction that’s seen the alleged Swift purchaseof the $4.9 million home adjacent to the Kennedy compound.

According to my sources, the Kennedy’s and the original owner of the home, Rockwell C. Tenney, were not friends. Tenney built the house in 1922. “He hated the Kennedy’s,” a source says. He looked at them as interlopers, and had binoculars trained on them from every room. Tenney’s daughter inherited the house and married a man named Lloyd. Her second husband was Robert Spalding Coleman, who died in 1998. Mrs. Coleman, now 92, is said to have been friendly with Ted Kennedy despite her father’s misgivings. But the house is now held in a trust among Mrs. Coleman’s six children including Robert Spalding Coleman, Jr., whose name is on the deed.

At one point, around 2006, the Tenney-Coleman house was on the market for over $13 million. It’s hard to imagine that the Kennedys didn’t want to buy it then even if it was overpriced. But, says one source, the Coleman family would never sell to the Kennedy’s under any circumstances. So it was a stand off. Ironically, Rande Coleman, a member of the family, is a big time real estate broker in New York. But after the recession hit and real estate dropped, the Coleman house went into a deep price spiral downward.

Enter Swift. My sources say that she may be a front for the Kennedy’s, so to speak......




19th Hole: The Readers Take Over

April 24, 1961




After reading your article on distance runner Fred Norris (The Oldest Freshman, Jan. 23) I contacted seven friends of mine—J. Bogert Tailer, Donald B. Tansill Jr., Garrick C. Stephenson, Richard T. Frick Jr., O. J. Anderson, Robert S. Coleman and S. Willets Meyer—who I felt might be willing to share in providing the necessary funds to enable Mr. Norris to compete in the Boston Marathon. Although none of them is a runner, every one of them became enthusiastic about the project.

I know you'll be glad to hear that because of their support Mr. Norris will be running in Boston this Wednesday.


Mill Neck, N.Y.


I had been researching the background of Robert S. Coleman, a member of Charles Bartlett's wedding party. Bartlett's brother, David's wedding was where Jack and Jackie supposedly were officially matched with each other by Charles.

Coleman married Rockwell C. Tenney's daughter, Nancy. Priscilla Johnson was from Mill Neck. Edward Gordon Hooker, DeMohrenschildt's step-nephew, chose S. Willetts Meyer, first cousin of Cord Meyer, as the best man in his wedding. GHW Bush was an usher.

(Wedding of Charles L. Bartlett)



$3.95 - New York Times - Dec 17, 1950

David FrostBartlett of Towson, Md., was bestman for his brother. Ushers A. Buck, brother of thebride; E. Taylor Chewning Jr., Robert S. Coleman, Casper WB Townsend...


New York Times - Apr 23, 1974

Rockwell C. Tenney, a member of the New York Stock Exchange since 1932 and ... He was 79 years old and lived also in Hyannis Port, Mass and on Grand ... the former Pen ney Middleton; a daughter, Mrs. Robert S. Coleman of Green wich,


$3.95 -

New York Times - Apr 23, 1950

... Tyson Gilpin, Kenneth B. Schley ,Tr., John 111. Dillon, Edward Ex'. Clucas, Robert S. Coleman, .1, Gilbert Tenney, Charles Scribner Jr. and Frazier Cheston, .


Edward Welch "Teddy" Clucas, Jr 1920-1997

Edward Welch Clucas, Jr was born on February 28, 1920 in New York City, New York, the second child and first son of his parents, Edward Welch Clucas and Frederica Bull Clucas.

We must piece together a few clues about "Teddy" as we have been unable to find much information on him.


New York Times - Jan 25, 1942

The bride is a granddaughter of the late Mr. and M_rs. Charles Clucas and of ... The ushers were Frederick H. yon Stade, another brother; Edward W. Clucas Jr.,

Social Activities in New York and Elsewhere

New York Times - Jan 19, 1942

The marriage of Miss Sara W. Clucas, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward W. Clucas, to Charles S. von Stade, son of Mr. and Mrs. F. Skiddy von Stade, will take ...


Published: April 09, 1997

CLUCAS-Edward W. Jr., of Oldwick, N.J. on Monday, April 7, 1997. Husband of the late Denyse Brady Clucas. Father of Diana Vought of New York City and Edward W. Clucas, III of Oxford, MD. Brother of Frederick Bull Clucas of Oldwick. Also survived by several nieces and nephews. Mass of the resurrection at St. Brigid's Church, Peapack, N.J. on Thursday, April 10th at 10AM. Interment Holy Cross Cemetery, Basking Ridge, New Jersey. Memorial gifts may be made to the Tewksbury First Aid and Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 381, Oldwick, New Jersey 08858.

Originally posted in a thread in the Political Conspiracies forum:

George Patton assassinated by the OSS?

From my last post, in the George DeMohrensshildt thread,


A weirder turn is discovered. F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr.'s sister-in-law remarried less than two years after the death of Skiddy's brother, Charles. First, let's recap :

Len, what I've found is that a man named F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. has a startling number of coincidental connections.


In his biography, GHW Bush describes F. von Stade, uncle of opera singer Frederica von Stade as an old friend, writing to Bush during F. von Stade's 14 day holiday at Aiken, SC.

F. von Stade aka F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr., is as Cass Canfield and George McMillan, a man from Aiken, SC.

He graduated from Harvard in 1938 and was assistant dean, and later dean of freshman, during a 38 years long Harvard career.

von Stade knew George L. Keenan and his wife, Joan, from the 1950's to the 1970's.

von Stade served on a Locust Valley, LI equestrian committee in 1958 with James A. Thomas, Jr.

We can assume von Stade was acquainted with Stuart H. Johnson.

von Stade's late brother Charles's wife was a secretary at CIA and the mother of opera singer, Frederica von Stade.

She was also the first cousin of Charles Clucas, married in 1954 to Phyliss DeMohrenschildt, daughter of a CIA executive and a CIA employee, herself. Charles Clucas was divorced from Phyllis in 1959 and then married Celia de Gersdorff, daughter of Washington Post's Ben Bradlee's mother's uncle.

I think I've discovered how Sara Clucas von Stade got her job as a secretary at the CIA:


New York Times - Dec 7, 1946

Mrs. Sara Worthington Clucas von Stade, widow of Lieut, Charles Steel von Stade, AUS, and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Welch Clucas of Whiteoakes, ..



Chapter X

"First Jed to Kill a Boche . . ."

, a plan to infiltrate 50 two-man teams into France was plagued with problems from the outset. Not only were the British resentful of OSS's new role, but U.S. Army G-2 did its level best to ensure that recruitment of S
personnel would be hamstrung. Donovan himself eventually became directly involved in the intra-American squabble.

"At a confrontation in the office of General Jake Devers, the American Theater commander in London, the Army intelligence man left no doubt that he trusted neither Donovan or his ideas. Donovan replied in a low voice without any inflection or emotion, "Unless the general apologizes at once, I shall tear him to pieces physically and throw his remains through these windows into Grosvenor Square."
The apologies were both immediate and prolix.

was an intelligence collection operation conducted jointly by OSS SI branch and British SIS. The paramilitary and sabotage aspects of clandestine warfare were assigned to OSS SO Branch and British SOE. The counterpart of S
in this respect was Operation J
. To coordinate this rising tempo of planning, a joint Anglo-American enterprise designated Special Force Headquarters was established. SFHQ would organize all underground resistance in France to support the coming invasion. Fifty J
teams were initially envisioned. Each to be composed of one American, one French, and one British officer. These would be dropped, in uniform, to rally and advise the
In Belgium and Holland, respective officers of those nations would take the place of the French officer in each team.

Milton Hall, an Elizabethan manor house about 100 miles north of London, was chosen as the J
training and assessment center.


"It was one of those enormous private houses which dot the English countryside and put American millionaires to shame. Almost without effort, Milton Hall swallowed the 240 men of the J
Operation, together with what the British called the "permanent party," the instructors, batmen, cooks, and drivers, who had been collected together to run the operation and to serve it."
There amid Cromwellian armor and oak-beamed hallways, the J
s learned the fine points of the sabotage trade.

Paratrooper boots thudded from a training harness into neat lawns and men practiced silent killing in the sunken gardens. From the croquet pitch came the crackle of small arms. . . . and the acrid smell of burnt powder blended with the traditional odor of boxwood and roses.

JEDBURGH field training was conducted at several other locations and it was from one of these, the royal burgh on Scotland's Jed River, that the operational name was derived. "Each man was to be hand-picked both for his high intelligence, his skills as a partisan, his personal courage, his ability to command respect, and his fairness--for a "Jed," as they were known for short, was expected to be captain, judge, confessor, and quartermaster--to say nothing of demolitions expert, gunsmith, linguist, marksman, poacher, and doctor."5

SUSSEX and JEDBURGH were part of a vast Allied plan to deceive Hitler as to the location and timing of the main assault against France. Codenamed BODYGUARD, this operation extended to virtually every theater of the war, and was the greatest deception ever attempted.

JEDBURGH's major goal was to tie down potential enemy reinforcements by employing guerilla warfare and sabotage. Since Brittany


contained sizeable numbers of German troops which could strike at the flank of the actual O
landing area, it was given special attention by the Special Forces Headquarters.

Troop concentrations in the south of France were also considered. O
's small brother--Operation A
--was an integral part of the strategic offensive. But shipping, air support, and other logistical considerations precluded launching A
until at least 8 weeks after the Normandy attack. Consequently, it was determined that resistance forces of the FFI would bear the burden of creating havoc there until the Mediterranean landings took place, and thereafter supporting the drive northward.

To coordinate Special Force operations in the south, a Special Operations Center (SPOC) was established in Algiers, and both J
and OG teams were staged there. One of these was J
Team B
, commanded by Major Horace W. Fuller, USMCR, codename F
. With him were French Army Captain Guy de la Roche, British Major Hiram Crosby and French Lieutenant Marcel Guillemont. B
's target was Tarbes, the "adopted ancestral home" of the de la Roche family.


SOE had been active in the Tarbes area since January 1943, when Maurice Southgate (codename H
) had been parachuted into the area along with a courier, Jacqueline Nearne. H
's mission had been to determine the status of resistance forces in the Pyrenees foothills and along the Spanish border. These proved to be sound; "they numbered nearly a hundred and all had passed the same stiff initial test: escape from a prisoner-of-war camp in Germany. Some serious immediate sabotage was attempted in Tarbes arsenal at midsummer but only a day's delay was caused . . "

As D-Day approached, SOE stepped up its own activities in the Haute Pyrenees and at was to be resistance forces of the British W
circuit that B
was specifically directed.

A year later his love for adventure led him to secure a commercial pilot's license and a job with East Coast Aircraft Corporation, a small company based at Boston Airport. By that time America was in the depths of the Great Depression. In 1932, East Coast Air folded and Fuller was out of a job.

Rather than returning to Harvard, Fuller instead wangled a position as engineer on the 85' diesel auxiliary yacht
Within weeks, he was off on a round-the-world cruise during which he worked not only on the main engine, but also taught himself to handle


all of the electrical and refrigeration work.
voyage lasted 23 months.

IN 1934, his wanderlust partially slaked, Fuller went to work as an engineer at the Bethlehem Steel plant in Quincy. Eventually he became head of the department which tested diesel and gasoline engine designs. Fuller was at the Fore River factory when Germany attacked Poland . . . but not for long.

As soon as the Nazis attacked, I joined a group of Americans and went to France to volunteer my services. I was attached to the 19th Transport Regiment, 10th Division, 10th French Army Corps and served at the Front all through the battles for Flanders and on the Somme. When the Armistice came I was demobilized, a hearbreaking experience since I had just received an appointment for the next officer's course and a posting to the Foreign Legion.

Soon after returning to the United States, Fuller wrote to Marine Corps headquarters, requesting an application for training and commissioning as a Motor Transport Officer. His interests and motivation toward service as a Marine had by then already been well demonstrated, since he had served as a volunteer reserve enlisted man during his Harvard days and was carried on the inactive roles as a Corporal until 1935.10

After several months of teaching, Fuller wrote the Major General Commandant seeking a place at the formal Reserve Officer's Refresher Course. In it he pointed out that:


Having served from January until July 1940, in the line of the French Army with the 19th Regiment, 10th Division, commanded by General Georges, as a driver and small unit leader of tanks, armored cars, and ambulances, and have been engaged with the enemy covering the withdrawal of French units from Dunkirk through Flanders (where I received the Croix de Guerre on 8 June 1940), it is my desire to better fit myself with current Marine Corps methods. I hope to serve in Marine Corps armored units in the line.

Fuller got his school and a set of orders to one of the Marine Corp's newest units: the First Amphibian Tractor Battalion at Dunedin, Florida. There, Fuller was given command of Company "C" and directed to inspect the new LCTs as they came off the Food Machinery Company's Lakeland assembly lines. Following several months of training, Company "C" entrained with its vehicles and moved to the 1st Marine Division's base camp at New River, North Caroline.

By Mary 1942, Fuller had been promoted to Captain and was holding down the post of Battalion Executive Officer. He still had the job when the 1st Division sailed for New Zealand on 10 June. In Wellington, new officers and equipment reached the battalion and Fuller was given another COmpany to command. When the Marines landed at Guadalcanal on 7 August 1942, Hod Fuller's LVTs were among the first to hit the beach.

During the following weeks, the Division engaged in a series of operations which relegated the LVTs to a largely logistical role. But that did not spare Captain Fuller. On 3 October, he was inside a bunker which suffered a direct hit during a Japanese air attack. A collapsing timber smashed his leg and proved to be a ticket home.

At first, the leg seemed to heal well, but by FEbruary 1943, Fuller had developed a noticeable limp and was in constant pain.


Detached from his temporary job as Assistant G-2 of Amphibious Force Pacific, he was promoted to Major and shipped Est to the Naval Hospital at Chelsea, Massachusetts.

Five weeks later, an operation having repaired his battle damage, Fuller left Chelsea for Quantico. There he was assigned to the tactics section of the Reserve Officer Training School. But despite being elevated to Battalion Commander, Fuller was not content with watching the war go by from the shores of the Potomac. He had, in fact, already laid the ground work for a transfer to Europe. In a letter to Major Andrew Wylie, Fuller pointed out:

While sailing on various small yachts and making voyages on French and Italian sailing vessels in the Mediterranean, I have spent considerable time on the southern coast of France as well as in Sardinia, Corsica, Crete, Sicily, and Elba.

Wylie was in a position to help. Scion of a wealthy Washington family, he was head of ONI's East European desk and had direct contacts with OSS. On 1 September 1943, Hod Fuller received orders to report to Donovan.

New Year's Day 1944 found Fuller in England and awaiting assignment to the OSS Parachute Training Unit, then commanded by another Marine, Major Bruce B. Cheever, USMC.13 Shortly thereafter, he was tapped for duty as a "Jed."

Team BUGATTI left Blida, near Algiers, early in the evening of 28 June 1944. A single black B-24 flew the mission., After an unremarkable five hour flight, the drop zone was spotted, and Fuller, Crosby, de la Roche, and Guillemont "hit the silk."


On the ground, things worked equally smoothly. A resistance reception committee was on hand to great the Jedburghs and gather their equipment. By 0200 on the 29th, B
was safely stashed in a farmhouse some 6 kilometers from the small town of Montrejeau. The next day, Fuller left early for a rendezvous with George R. Starr (codename: H
), one of SOE's most daring organizers in the south of France and architect of W
Accompanying him was Anne Marie Waters (codename: C
), Starr's courier.

Since the area was swarming with Germans, Fuller travelled in civilian clothes. This was not accepted practice for "Jeds" because capture would automatically result in execution as a spy. But C
convinced the members of B
that there was little chance of avoiding Germans and that uniforms would result in instant combat The wisdom of her rationale became immediately apparent. Soon after Fuller departed, a company of SS troops was spotted moving toward the farmhouse. Only a quick exit from the second story saved detection.

We were then taken at night to the maquis camp near Arbon. Here all attempts to reach Algiers were most unsatisfactory as our B-2 (radio) set had been damaged in the drop. Although I brought another B-2 back from H
's headquarters, our first messages were always reported as indecipherable. The maquis consisted of about 100 men, all of whom were poorly armed, but with their remaining store of plastique, we immediately blew up four pylons on the 15,000 kilowatt power line through the Armon Valley. This supplied power to the aircraft factory in Toulouse,


After a fortnight of frustration caused by faulty radios, B
finally managed to raise Algiers. Then began a series of pleas for arms and ammunition:

Guns and ammo needed urgently. . . . send petrol and generator as soon as possible. . . . Area unsafe for free movement. Bren guns needed quickly.

No arms and Boche everywhere. Am sabotaging power and rail lines continually. Need supplies.

Daylight dropping impossible. Boche patrols make movement dangerous. All vehicles forbidden to move and shot at on sight. Immediate strength at least 3,000
but no arms.

By 10 July, still without supplies, Fuller decided on a risky move. A new radio and some previously delivered weapons were cached in the village of Lannemezan. Unfortunately, the two was garrisoned by 1,200 German soldiers. Captain de la Roche and a four man team volunteered to try to retrieve these desperately needed items.Moving at night in a purloined truck, they succeeded not only in getting the equipment, but also returning with it to the Arbon hideout. With the new radio, BUGATTI was finally able to regain contact with the SPOC and on the night of 16 July, a lone plane dropped containers to the maquis. Though many of these broke open before reaching the ground, the resupply proved a godsend for the next day, 600 Germans began to systematically invest the farm area.

Fuller pulled his men back to an open hillside with a wooded area protecting the flanks. De la Roche and a special contingent armed themselves with British Gammon grenades in case the enemy brought up tanks.


At about 1730, the Germans began slowly advancing toward the
positions. Taken under fire, they brought mortars and heavy machine guns into play. Eventually, the
withdrew into the forest leaving 16 dead Germans on the field and having suffered no casualties themselves.

Fuller immediately shifted his headquarters deeper into the Pyrenees, this time to the vicinity of St. Bertrand des Comminges about 16 miles to the west. While on the move, he learned that the Arbon farm had been compromised by an Italian who lived in Montrejeau. Fuller ordered the resistance to deal with him.

Several days later one of our patrols shot him in Montrejeau and he was taken to hospital wounded. We then sent a visitor to the hospital who slit his throat during the night.

BUGATTI's main camp now contained about 35 men,all of whom were well armed, but had little ammunition and few explosives. Another maquis unit at Arbas was better equipped and they began a systematic campaign of sabotage directed at railway lines and power stations. Fuller radioed a report of the fighting which ended with the sanguine phrase, "Hope I'm first Jed to kill a Boche."17

On 20 July, Fuller determined that the situation could best be handled by splitting his team into two separate parts. Captain de la Roche was directed to take charge on the Tarbes area while Fuller directed the maquis in the valleys of Nistos, Luchron, and as far east as Saint Gaudens.

Both of these groups were busy. On one occasion, de la Roche was ambushed while riding a motorcycle. He lay in a ditch while the Germans unsuccessfully searched all around him and had the traumatic


experience of watching his companion captured,tortured, and executed on the spot.

In addition to the enemy, Fuller and de la Roche were also forced to address the ticklish problem of internal rivalries in the resistance. Their position in this regard was decidedly hampered by a continuing inability to produce either weapons or money. During the entire course of B
's operation, only a single supply drop was received. The air of suspicion and mutual antagonism which surrounded the Communist FTP,
the MUR,
and the
Franc Pommies
was never fully overcome, but de la Roche, in particular, succeeded in bringing about an uneasy accommodation. The open internecine warfare which characterized all of the East European guerilla movements was thereby avoided.

By 20 July, B
had hit all its designated targets and was busy blowing railroads faster than the Germans could repair them. One of the biggest successes was complete interdiction of the line which ran south into Spain. This blocked 50,000 tons of iron ore at the frontier.

had also been ordered to destroy the oil refinery at Peyrouzet. Fuller was loath to undertake this mission because of the potential impact on the area's power economy. Happily, M. la Chaux, the manager, was a confirmed patriot of the resistance and had participated in several stiff firefights as a
commander. La Chaux proposed a simple but effective plan for eliminating production without sabotaging the equipment.
Francs Tireurs et Partisans

Mouvement Unis de Resistance



BUGATTI's headquarters now became the Hôtel Moderne, but Fuller and de la Roche did not spend much time there. For the next three weeks, both were involved in a series of actions which culminated in an organized maquis force of nearly 5,000 men. While the bulk of these forces drove northward toward Bordeaux, a series of ambushes was strung out along the Franco-Spanish frontier. Patrols in this sector captured more than 400 Germans, bringing BUGATTI's haul to approximately 1,000.

Operations were now going so successfully that Fuller was no longer content to wait in vain for request air support from Algiers. Having overrun several airfields and being a pilot, he simply organized his own airforce. Although hampered by lack of fuses for the German bombs, the planes did pay dividends in reconnaissance and liaison roles. The SPOC, while praising this innovation, firmly refused Fuller's request to send a flight back to North Africa.



(Photo courtesy Captain François de la Roche, USMCR)

As the enemy was driven from French soil, the enmity of the various factions within the

We saw the whole situation was becoming one of politics with the different groups within the FFI starting to fight among themselves for power and, as the mission which had been given us was a military one, we carefully avoided anything to do with politics. . . . We therefore began demobilizing our men. All weapons were taken and stored in a caserne at Tarbes and all military affairs in our region handed over to the FFI.
<a href="

For their work in France, Fuller and de la Roche were awarded the Silver Star and Crois de Guerre. Fuller was also mentioned in despatches by SOE and mae a Knight of the Legion of Honor by France. He finished the war with a Chinese commando battalion having been promoted to lieutenant Colonel while in the Pyrenees. Demobilized in December 1945, he worked for a succession of airlines both in the United States and abroad. Fuller was later promoted to Colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve and retired as a Brigadier General in 1957. He died in 1971.20


OSS Society Newsletter - Fall 2004

www.osssociety.org/pdfs/oss_fall_04.pdf (page 15)

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

I AM WRITING A PAPER on the Danish Jedburgh Mis-

sion in 1945, and would appreciate any information on

Major Riis OSS and Major Verschoor OSS who

were mentioned in the SOE files on the mission.

Original Milton Hall-trained Jeds who were involved

were LTC Hod Fuller USMC, Capt Doug Bazata,

and Capt Bill Pietsch. The files also mention OSS

W/T operators, but cannot identify them by name;

possibly Poitras, Larosse, and Litallan. Only one

team was deployed under the British Lt. Col. An-

drew Croft and this was to observe the German

surrender. Training of the Danish Jeds was carried out

at Hatherop Castle STS 45 near Fairford in

Gloucestershire. Steven Kippax -


Chapter 8


File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

November 1944, “Accomplishments of OSS, 15654, copy in CIA Records ...... invaded along the Riviera, Fuller's team led an uprising of 5000 maquis, ambushing ...... Captain Douglas (“Doug”) DeWitt Bazata, head of Team Cedric in eastern


Douglas DeWitt Bazata, Artist And O.S.S. Officer, Dies at 88


Published: August 22, 1999

Douglas DeWitt Bazata, who served with the United States Office of Strategic Services behind enemy lines in France in World War II and later became an artist, died on July 14 in his home in Chevy Chase, Md. He was 88.

The death of Mr. Bazata was belatedly reported to The New York Times.

He was described as ''a red-haired soldier of fortune who called all colonels 'Sugar' '' in a 1978 book, ''Honorable Men,'' by William E. Colby, a former Director of Central Intelligence, and Peter Forbath.

Mr. Bazata had already served in the Marines and was a skilled boxer and marksman when he became an Army officer in 1942 and also joined the O.S.S., the forerunner of the Central Intelligence Agency.

He went on to be one of a daring group of about 50 American parachute officers who volunteered for what Mr. Colby described as ''a highly hazardous mission'' in Nazi-occupied France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Other members of the group included Stewart Alsop, later a noted journalist, and Mr. Colby....


(Page 2 of 2)

The Maquis, along with Captain Bazata and Emile, harried the German troops and, it is said, drew attention away from a sector of France's strategically important Mediterranean coast.

Mr. Bazata, a major by the time he left the Army in 1947, was recalled admiringly by Emile in a volume of memoirs, ''Maquis,'' which came out in 1947. Emile, whose real name was George Millar, wrote that ''walking with the tempestuous Bazata toward the German lines was like riding a horse with a mouth of iron.'' Once Emile and Captain Bazata escaped the attention of nearby Germans by pretending to be innocent Frenchmen gathering mushrooms....

I see that the discussion has moved on and maybe my original post would have been better placed elsewhere, but here is a little more info on Mr Douglas Bazata who claimed to have made a failed assassination attempt on Gen Patton.

His description of the device that he maintains to have used in the attempt was that it worked on a spring and compressed air mechanism and could fire almost anything, even a tea cup. They found that the best projectile was a small cube shaped missile. I mention it to show that 18 years before Dallas a weapon of this type may have been available.

"Bazata's confident claims that a special weapon made in Czechoslovakia was used to strike Patton in the head. The weapon was designed to propel seemingly innocuous objects like metal or rocks at terrific force. This weapon, fired at about 10 yards away, allegedly caused the severe head wound and broke Patton's neck."

Douglas Bazata from http://www.associate...g4.html?cat=37:

One of the most intriguing theories that Patton was the target of a plot comes from an ex-U.S. intelligence agent who claimed he was paid to kill Patton. Douglas Bazata started his espionage career in 1926 and continued it for over 50 years in the Marine Corps and OSS. Bazata told 450 guests at the Hilton Hotel in Washington D.C. on September 25, 1979, that he was solicited by OSS head Bill Donovan to kill Patton for money.

Bazata told the Hilton Hotel audience, "For diverse political reasons, many extremely high-ranking persons hated Patton. I know who killed him. Because I am the one who was hired to do it. Ten thousand dollars. General William Donovan himself, director of the O.S.S, entrusted me with the mission. I set up the accident. Since he didn't die in the accident, he was kept in isolation in the hospital, where he was killed with an injection."[ii]

The story was reported in the Washington Star and The Spotlight magazine.[iii] Bazata claimed he was commissioned to kill Patton in a series of eight meetings with Donovan. The Washington Star reported that Bazata's interview was analyzed by a Psychological Stress Evaluator (PSE), a polygraph machine that measures stress in the voice, and reported that Bazata is telling the truth. Bazata said he was paid a total of $10,800 on two occasions by Donovan. He accepted the money and told Donovan that he would kill Patton, but in reality had no intention of trying. He said he worked with Donovan on the surface only because he feared for his life if he didn't. Soon after he was paid, Bazata was confronted by a confident and told that he too had been contracted to kill Patton. Who had hired the other man, Bazata never knew. Why Donovan wanted Patton dead was unclear to Bazata. Donovan could have been the only instigator, or been the mouthpiece for another individual or group"






WEAPONS LAW LINK...Bill Number: SB 578




H. W. Fuller, 81, Dies; Decorated Ex-Marine

Published: August 18, 1989

Horace W. Fuller, a retired United States Marine Reserve brigadier general who served at Guadalcanal and with the French Resistance in World War II, died of cancer Wednesday in a clinic on the Greek island of Spetsai. He was 81 years old and lived on Spetsai.

He spent five years on active duty with the Marines during and after World War II, rising to lieutenant colonel and earning French and American decorations. He retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a brigadier general in 1954.

Horace Williams Fuller was born in Brookline, Mass., and earned an B.S. degree from Harvard College in 1930.

Over the years, General Fuller had homes in New England and in Greece, where he was active in shipping and other businesses, retiring in 1970.

His 1947 marriage to Sarah Clucas von Stade ended in divorce in 1951. He married Dosia Karaiskakis of Spetsai in 1952. She died in 1981.


  • Deceased's name: Robert Gorham Fuller
  • Age: 99
  • Date: November 10, 2010
  • Hometown: Westwood, formerly of Dover
  • Survived by: Sons, Robert G., Jr. of Winthrop, Maine and his wife Moira and her four children and seven grandchildren, son, Randolph J. Fuller of Boston and a number of nieces and nephews.

Mr. Fuller was predeceased by his wife, Constance, three brothers, Horace Williams Fuller, Brigadier General (Retired), U.S. Marine Corps Reserve of Spetsai, Greece, Henry Morrill Fuller, of York, Main, Benjamin Apthorp Gould Fuller, II of Waltham and a sister, Anne Hutchinson Fuller, also of Greece.

Mr. Fuller was born on May 31, 1911 in Brookline to Robert G. Fuller and Genevieve (Morrill) Fuller. While he was still of tender years, the family removed to Dover, where he spent the great part of his life. He attended Charles River School in Dover and a few years after completing his secondary education and marrying Constance W. Bader of Dover, volunteered for and served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. He was stationed in British Guiana and ferried multi-engine aircraft between there and Dakar, Africa.......(/quote)

In 1954, Sara Clucas von Stade Fuller's first cousin, Charles Clucas, married Phyliss Washington DeMohrenschildt. :


Tommy and Len, the day either of you posts anything that actually informs and furthers this research (Kennedy Assassination) is the day I will begin to take any of your harrassment as constructive criticism. Do some actual work instead of disrupting and demeaning, please.

Edited by Tom Scully
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The link that I posted is from the magazine's article that is being prominently displayed on the NY Times website today.

The NY Times is one of the most influential publications in the world. One cannot ignore what it is publishing even if one disagrees with its content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Create New...