The Education Forum

RFK Jr. on Oswald & Ruby Phone Records

RFK Jr. on Oswald and Ruby Phone Records - He got it right

JFKcountercoup: Oswald and Ruby Phone Records – RFK, Jr. Got It Right

Oswald and Ruby Phone Records – RFK, Jr. Got It Right

By William E. Kelly, Jr.

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. set off a firestorm of media and critical reaction after being interviewed in a public program at the Winspear Opera House in Dallas by saying that neither he nor his father believed that a “lone-gunman” killed President Kennedy.

Interviewed by Charlie Rose, Kennedy was also quoted as saying, “…When they examined Jack Ruby and Lee Harvey Oswald’s phone records,…they saw…an inventory of the Mafia leaders that they had been investigating…”

A former aide to Robert F. Kennedy, Paul Schrade, who was wounded in the same barrage of bullets that killed RFK, asked if the tape will be aired or a transcript of it released and they said they are waiting for permission from Kennedy and Charlie Rose. In the meantime, we are left with the quotes attributed to those who were there in the audience. Rodger Jones, an editorial writer for the Dallas News, in an apparent attempt to put the complete interview in context, wrote:

“RFK Jr.’s assassination narrative began with an anecdote about his dad seeing New Orleans DA Jim Garrison’s photo on a newsstand and asking an aide if there was anything to Garrison’s theories about the CIA, Cuba and Mafia in his brother’s killing. RFK Jr. said his dad was told that Garrison was on to something, but ‘the specifics of Garrison’s investigation went on the wrong track, but he thought there was a link …’ Kennedy said his dad put investigators on it. When they examined Jack Ruby and Lee Harvey Oswald’s phone records,… they saw what was essentially ‘an inventory of the Mafia leaders that they had been investigating for the past two years at the Justice Department.”

In response Jean Davison, and others, including Gary Mack and John McAdams, have questioned Kennedy’s facts, evidence and reasoning. While Mack said he believes that Betsy Lewis’ condescending version of the Opera House event is better (See: Dallas Observer, Jan. 12; “Not Even Charlie Rose Could Rein in RFK, Jr. in Dallas Last Night.”) and McAdams calls Kennedy a “crackpot” for his silly beliefs on other subjects, Davison gives a more reasoned response. As the author of the book “Oswald’s Game,” which attempts to portray Oswald as the lone assassin, she is known as a meticulous researcher and accurate writer, but one who comes to an unpopular and wrong conclusion concerning Oswald’s singular guilt.

Davison correctly notes: “This stood out to me: ‘...phone records of Oswald ... 'were like an inventory' of mafia leaders...’ Of course,…Oswald had no phone records since he never had a phone. Anyone can believe in a conspiracy, but where is the evidence? If Robert Kennedy ‘had investigators do research into the assassination,’ are Ruby's phone records (or Oswald's nonexistent ones) really the best they could come up with?...belief isn't evidence, is it?”

Belief isn’t evidence, but telephone records are evidence, hard evidence that can be introduced in a court of law, and the fact that there are no telephone records of the alleged assassin of the President certainly supports the contention that the Warren Commission investigation was, in Kennedy’s words, “a shoddy piece of craftsmanship.”

While the phone records aren’t the best evidence of conspiracy and Oswald may not have had his own telephone, he certainly did make telephone calls, including suspicious calls worthy of further examination, and there is substantial documentation to support this......

Continued at: JFKcountercoup: Oswald and Ruby Phone Records – RFK, Jr. Got It Right

The only thing I can think of regarding Oswald phone records of mafia contacts would be Dutz Murret possibly around the time he was involved in giving his speech at the Jesuit College. But Dutz was pretty much just a bookie for Marcello, and being a family member would be just as pertinent as being part of organized crime. I agree that hitting the organized crime angle is pretty disappointing, as if that is the biggest facet of Oswald and Ruby.

Here is one:

May 8 1963 ( Wednesday) Oswald calls Marina at Irving BL 3-1628 from the Murretts's phone HU 8-4326 in New Orleans (26:773)

Edited by Robert Howard

Thanks Jim, That would be great if you could put a link to it at CTKA.

Debra said she liked it too and may mention it at LANCER.

Jeff and I posted an shorter version here:

JFKfacts - Memory / Truth / Meaning

And Robert, many thanks for that lead, as I am also doing a follow up and will us that and any other references to Oswald using the phone anybody can come up with.

I am also putting together some footnotes, and I need one for the person to person phone call Oswald got at the TSBD shortly after he began working there. Since it has been years since I read the WC hearings and exhibits, I recall it was mentioned by a TSBD secretary but don't recall if it was in testimony or a statement or in a book reference.

BK

I'd look at his phone numbers book too.

The pre-paid long distance phone call to the TSBD took place just days before the JFK Assassination. I personally believe that not unlike the Oxnard call it is a great example of "a lead not thoroughly investigated." According to the operator it was a female caller.

Also Bill the area being covered as to where the call originated included......Slidell, Louisiana. I'm sure that will be thought provoking it was for me.

See CD 75

https://www.maryferr...7&relPageId=182

As far as why I believe it was not thoroughly investigated has to do with the National Security Agency's ability to trace leads of this sort.

One thing that I have discovered about phone records after all these years, at least from appearances

is that these FBI "assassination phone records" are worded in such a way as to make it appear that "we

followed this lead as far as we can," which is a red-herring, the truth is they had access to phone records

pretty much carte blanche as illustrated by the addendum on many of these documents that records

can be provided as long as a subpoena duces tecum is provided.

On a similar note the video of "Oswald or his doppleganger around 12:40 PM CDT on 11/22/63" is on film at least as far as was stated in Warren Commission interviews, and that video, at least at one time "was sitting in a vault at CBS headquarters."

There is an old adage, "where there is a will, there is a way," but when it comes to deviating from the "Oswald did it" script, when it gets down to the point, more often than not it is "where there is a will, there is a won't."

Edited by Robert Howard

The pre-paid long distance phone call to the TSBD took place just days before the JFK Assassination. I personally believe that not unlike the Oxnard call it is a great example of "a lead not thoroughly investigated." According to the operator it was a female caller.

Also Bill the area being covered as to where the call originated included......Slidell, Louisiana. I'm sure that will be thought provoking it was for me.

See CD 75

https://www.maryferr...7&relPageId=182

As far as why I believe it was not thoroughly investigated has to do with the National Security Agency's ability to trace leads of this sort.

One thing that I have discovered about phone records after all these years, at least from appearances

is that these FBI "assassination phone records" are worded in such a way as to make it appear that "we

followed this lead as far as we can," which is a red-herring, the truth is they had access to phone records

pretty much carte blanche as illustrated by the addendum on many of these documents that records

can be provided as long as a subpoena duces tecum is provided.

On a similar note the video of "Oswald or his doppleganger around 12:40 PM CDT on 11/22/63" is on film at least as far as was stated in Warren Commission interviews, and that video, at least at one time "was sitting in a vault at CBS headquarters."

There is an old adage, "where there is a will, there is a way," but when it comes to deviating from the "Oswald did it" script, when it gets down to the point, more often than not it is "where there is a will, there is a won't."

Thanks Robert,

You're the Best!

I never would have been able to find that again.

And Martin, if you can find the phone records for the "other" Oswald, you earn a feather in your cap.

BK