The Education Forum

Backyard pictures

This is true. Yet may he rest in peace and look at the message not the messenger. A lot of people have affection for Jack the man. I generally found him polite and friendly, after our initial spat I got a degree of respect for him personally. Yet, I dispute much if not most of his photo analysis.

I can separate the man and his work.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White's technical work appears eminently reasonable and logical; while White's conclusions seem hasty and biased to me.

Only the photographically ignorant. He simply had no clue what he was doing or how to do it. There is a plethora of material on the web that shows just how and why he got it wrong.

Craig, I admit I'm photographically ignorant, but I'm taking steps to correct that. NARA will soon deliver to me their best reproductions of the Backyard Photographs, and I have Photoshop ready-to-hand.

As for Jack White, I was also impressed by the fact that he made the backgrounds of CE-133A and CE-133B match by an analysis of the horizon lines and the vanishing points. Using a photographic technique known as "keystoning", Jack White said that by tilting his easel he was able to make the backgrounds of these two photos match.

That is truly a significant claim. White believed he had "reversed" the procedure which the forgers used to make the difference in background in the first place.

If this is something I can do with Photoshop, you can be sure I'll spend time trying to do this.

By the way -- the "evidence" that you cited to the effect that Thompson and Pickard reversed their opinions was weak, since that evidence was only a third person who made this claim on their behalf -- not the men themselves.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

White's technical work appears eminently reasonable and logical; while White's conclusions seem hasty and biased to me.

Only the photographically ignorant. He simply had no clue what he was doing or how to do it. There is a plethora of material on the web that shows just how and why he got it wrong.

Craig, I admit I'm photographically ignorant, but I'm taking steps to correct that. NARA will soon deliver to me their best reproductions of the Backyard Photographs, and I have Photoshop ready-to-hand.

As for Jack White, I was also impressed by the fact that he made the backgrounds of CE-133A and CE-133B match by an analysis of the horizon lines and the vanishing points. Using a photographic technique known as "keystoning", Jack White said that by tilting his easel he was able to make the backgrounds of these two photos match.

No, he only SAID he made he backgrounds match. Have you seen the actual work?

That is truly a significant claim. White believed he had "reversed" the procedure which the forgers used to make the difference in background in the first place.

If this is something I can do with Photoshop, you can be sure I'll spend time trying to do this.

You can do the exact same thing and you will fail. I have spent hours and hours trying to make it work, and it won't But I can't wait to see you try.

By the way -- the "evidence" that you cited to the effect that Thompson and Pickard reversed their opinions was weak, since that evidence was only a third person who made this claim on their behalf -- not the men themselves.

No it was not a third "person" but instead the Photographic Panel. But hey, if it was untrue don't you think Pickard or Thompson might have complained?

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Paul, If you're serious about this and it means so much to your hypotheses then you'll find many postings that explain the processes to use. Once you've figured it out then further disussions can go on. . You're never going to find exactly matching pics. You'll just have to make do. You'll also find it's enough in the end.

So, John, NARA finally replied to me and invited me to purchase high quality reproductions of CE-133B and CE-133C for $20 each. That's expensive but I do want to repeat Major John Pickard's experiment. I'll post them to my web site at www.pet880.com soon after they arrive.

Best regards,

--Paul

Hi Paul

I don't know if you are aware, but i received multiple number of "VIRUS ALERTS" from my AVG virus software, while trying to visit that website.

the image below shows one of the alerts.

Click on the image to see FULL SIZE

Edited by Robin Unger

Robin is it quick for you to do those gifs? If so , can you whip uo one with the verandah post rotated and resized so that the area where the three shadows from powerline line up and using this as a focus?

Robin is it quick for you to do those gifs? If so , can you whip uo one with the verandah post rotated and resized so that the area where the three shadows from powerline line up and using this as a focus?

John

Not sure what you mean when you say three shadows from powerline line up ?

Edited by Robin Unger

Ok, on the post holding up the stairs (sorry not verandah) there are three vertical shadows down the bottom.

the two upper close then another lower.

Ok, on the post holding up the stairs (sorry not verandah) there are three vertical shadows down the bottom.

the two upper close then another lower.

Here I have "leveled' the camera in both images by correcting the verticals and resized to mtch as cloe as possible. You can see the effects of the camera movement and the parallax and perspective changes that are 'baked in' to these images that will never be removed by keystoning.

sillyoldray.gif

one can also see the timelapse between the photos in the line shadows movement as the sun moves.

it can be known using relevant sun charts and the relative locations of the lines and that which causes the shadows.

Let's take a different approach...

Finding images of Oswald's hands is surprisingly difficult... What I've done is compile what I could find showing Oswald's right hand.

One of the obvious comments has been the fingers on that right hand look very short, fat and stubby on the BYP.... Yet the only image that replicates this is a very suspect image of "Oswald" in Japan....

which I venture to say is quite a stretch to conclude that is the same man as the one killed by Ruby.

In every image of Oswald being arrested... his hands/fingers are slender and large... the image at the right is of Oswald with Marina in Russia... again - slender large hands/fingers.

The 2nd image below the BYP blowup of his hand IS his right hand on the day of arrest and compares in no way to the BYP. Big knuckles... long fingers.... vs those stubby short fingers that do not taper but simply end. No pronounced knuckles... just little sausages....

Finally... the image of Oswald wearing his wedding ring on the right hand on the train.... makes sense, he was just married. If you look at the bottom right arrest photo his Marine Ring is LARGE... it sticks out away from his fingers quite a bit where the BYP and Japan image appear relatively flat... (albeit the image is too grainy to actually make out detail)...

Rings move from hand to hand with ease... ring finger to ring finger? I find that one hand is usually larger than the other and rings on certain fingers fit others when switched....

Is there something special about wearing a wedding ring on the RIGHT hand? A Russian thing?

In any case... I think the attached collage shows that the man arrested and fingerprinted has hands much larger and slender than what is shown in the BYP. (btw - I used the image Lamson linked to for my BYP) And gives more credibility to the notion the face don't match the body's features.

post-1587-0-20468000-1362764288_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Josephs

So, John, NARA finally replied to me and invited me to purchase high quality reproductions of CE-133B and CE-133C for $20 each. That's expensive but I do want to repeat Major John Pickard's experiment. I'll post them to my web site at www.pet880.com soon after they arrive.

Best regards,

--Paul

Hi Paul

I don't know if you are aware, but i received multiple number of "VIRUS ALERTS" from my AVG virus software, while trying to visit that website. the image below shows one of the alerts.

Click on the image to see FULL SIZE

Thanks for the heads-up, Robin. I contacted my web site host (AT&T) about this problem. Evidently somebody has been trying to hack into my web site to bring it down. (Maybe I'm getting warmer!)

Anyway, AT&T is looking into solutions for me. Here's their chance to show whether they have the right stuff.

In the meantime, I updated my web site at www.pet880.com to show two TV films from the Citizens' Council Forum, produced in March, 1962. The first film is 12 minutes long, and the second film is 14 minutes long. Now people can see and hear Walker in action.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo