The Education Forum

Looking for info on the military communication shut down on Nov 22, 1963

Mark Gorton

Somewhere in my reading, I remember coming across the story of a man who was working in a senior position in the pentagon on Nov 22, 1963. He worked at the main military communications hub of the pentagon. He came home from work that day, and his family told him that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman who killed JFK. He told his family that he knew that there had been a coup d'etat because shortly after the assassination, the communication system for the senior command and control of the US military had been taken off line. I believe that it might have been his son who later relayed this story.

However, I cannot remember where I read this. Can someone let me know the source of this info? Does anyone know if this story has been verified and how solid it is? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mark

I don't think the mcadams link even answers the question. Of course telephone outages occurred. But was the US military taken 'off lne'?

Chris,

Thanks! The quote you linked to on JFK Lancer is exactly what I was thinking about. But do you (or does anyone) know the source and if it has been vetted? I am pasting the quote below:

"I was 12 years old when JfK was assassinated. We were living in Springfield, VA and my father was a staff officer at the Pentagon. Unknown to us, the family at the time, his duty assignment was to Dep. Dir of War Plans/Operations, which in Air Force talk is counter-intelligence.

He came home late the evening of the assassination and as we sat around the kitchen table talking about 'Oswald' killing Kennedy, he interrupted us and said Oswald did not kill Kennedy, and said that Kennedy was killed by a "Military Coup".

We naturally thought he had not see the news on the TV, and said so. He went on to explain to us some of the basic details on the 'deactivation' of the Military and the Pentagon, secure communications being taken off line, etc.

Years later, after his death in 1993, we discovered from another retired staff officer at the ceremony that my father indeed worked counter intelligence for the Air Force. His positions after the Pentagon were Deputy Chief of Staff to Admiral Wilkinson, USFJ-3/J-5, and later he was Director of Plans and Analysis, and later Director of Plans and Operations. His military file confirms the above.

What he said about 'who' was responsible for the deactivation of the Pentagon, disabling secure communications for the entire facility and Chiefs of Staff and 'intelligence'/counter-intelligence... "the second Kennedy was assassinated", is perfectly in line with what Barr McClennan writes in his book... my dad said there was only one person who could have shut down the (whole) Pentagon.. "the (new) President", Johnson."

Thanks,

Mark