The Education Forum

Photo of Day inspecting rifle

The rifle in the back yard pictures had a rope sling. mmmm.....

Are you sure Ray? I found this - a vintage cloth Carcano sling which Klein's gunsmith claims would have been sent with the rifle if anything was sent at all... Does look like what was on there a bit...

Did the rifles come equipped with straps?

A- No, because they were very cumbersome to pack. if some_

one would specifically order a sling with the rifle, a military

strap would be sent. This would not necessarily mean a strap

that was made especially for the 6.5 mannlicher-carcano.

Vintage%20carcano%20sling%20cloth_zpsgxb

Are you sure Ray? I found this - a vintage cloth Carcano sling which Klein's gunsmith claims would have been sent with the rifle if anything was sent at all... Does look like what was on there a bit...

Magnifying the photos, David, it still appears to me that the strap is a piece of thick cord rather than the strap you illustrate. (No appearance of any flat area in the strap) However, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

well the thing is, even if it were proven to be a different sling, couldn't it simply be said that he changed the sling? i'm not sure that this discrepancy means very much in an evidentiary way.

are the sling mounts visible in any good back yard pics? they're on the side on C2766, and i seem to remember them being blurry but possibly visible underneath the stock in this pic...

Magnifying the photos, David, it still appears to me that the strap is a piece of thick cord rather than the strap you illustrate. (No appearance of any flat area in the strap) However, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Definitely not saying it is this sling.. but it may be a real cloth sling instead of just a piece of rope... as it appears to have some dimension to it...

Found these as well which is even closer to it... who knows what they would have sent with the rifle.

IMG_0191.jpg

Oswald%20Backyard%20CE-133-all%203%20pos

The strap has been discussed on this forum many times in the past. If I remember correctly, Tom Purvis claimed it was actually an Air Force revolver holster, or some such thing.

well, i will say this - regardless of what kind of sling that is in the back yard photos, after seeing these again with the sling in mind, what it is most certainly NOT is the same sling as is on the rifle found on the 6th floor.

obviously anyone can replace a sling - but i'd be amazed that "they" would be stupid enough to use such an obviously different sling - if the idea was to falsely portray LHO holding the MC in question. Ray, you are right, there is no question that this is a different sling.

i'm still curious as to why it matters if it's not the same one - or if that's what the discussion is about at all. If it's NOT the same one, to me that seems to go against the idea of collusion, at least as far as different rifles go.

Robert pointed out that they'd be stupid to use two different rifles - and i agree - but since there are a whole bunch of missing MC's from that shipment, and since there's a mysterious incident of a similar rifle being taken out of hock by Hemming, or Hall, which seems to connect somehow, it's possible that a different rifle could have been used for some uncontrollable reason at the time. It seems even stupider not to ensure that at least the slings matched. IF this is a ruse, of course.

[oops]

Edited by Glenn Nall

As I understand the story, Hemming's rifle that was hocked was a Johnson .30-06 breakdown sniper rifle....according to several sources.

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_issues/11th_Issue/guns_dp.html