The Education Forum

NYPD Detective James Rothstein

Given he comes from south america, I'm interested to see what his position on liberation theology will be.

Since he moved up the chain of command I doubt he supports it, the clergy men and women who did were excommunicated, defrocked or otherwise punished.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense. It'll be interesting to follow his papacy in the coming period.

Given he comes from south america, I'm interested to see what his position on liberation theology will be.

Since he moved up the chain of command I doubt he supports it, the clergy men and women who did were excommunicated, defrocked or otherwise punished.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/pope-francis-kidnapping_n_2870251.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D283692

• 2 weeks later...

Some background material to the posting below can be found in these prior topics:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19973

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20038

In the morning of October 31, 1977, Halloween day, Det. Rothstein received a call from Paul Meskil, a reporter for the New York Daily News. Meskil was beside himself. Monica Lorenz, the daughter of Marita Lorenz, had just been arrested in front of her apartment on York Avenue in possession of a loaded gun. She was to be the last line of defense for Marita. Monica was hiding in the bushes in front of the apartment building on Eighty Eighth Street and York Avenue; she was going to ambush Sturgis when he showed up to kill Marita. Meskil knows that the only two Detectives he can trust are Rosenthal and Rothstein; he knows they will not back down or be stopped. The Detectives notified members of the New York Senate Select Committee on Crime, their present assignment, of the call. They jump into action. They first call the arresting officer of Monica and verify that the arrest had been made for possession of a gun. They then set up a meeting with Marita Lorenz and Paul Meskil at a small restaurant on the East Side.

They all meet at the restaurant at approximately 1100 am. Marita verifies what Meskil had told the Detectives. She was very up-set, anxious, and scared. She feared for her and her children’s lives. Marita tells the Detectives that she is scheduled to testify at the House Assassination Hearings in Washington, DC, concerning the assassination of John F Kennedy. Meskil tells the Detectives that he is in possession of a tape recording made of a conversation between Marita Lorenz and Frank Sturgis; the tape is hidden at his residence in Nassau County, New York. In the tape Sturgis tells Marita, “You know what the rules are and what happens if you talk.” Meskil tells the Detectives to pick up the tape at his house and that his son would give the Detectives the tapes. Meskil tells the Detectives that he will be leaving for the Far East as soon as our meeting is over. At approximately 100 pm, the Detectives leave the restaurant with Marita and go to her apartment on Eighty Eighth Street and York Avenue.

When Detectives Rosenthal, Rothstein, and Marita enter the apartment, the detectives do a quick canvass of the apartment. They see 10 to 15 boxes sitting against the wall in the dining room. The rest of the day and early evening were spent interviewing Marita in preparation for the arrival of Sturgis. Marita tells the detectives that the boxes contain documentation concerning OP40, the Cuban invasion, Castro, planning for the Kennedy assassination, and other covert operations that she had knowledge of. These documents were going to be delivered to the House Assassination Hearings. The Detectives believe they have more than sufficient evidence to arrest Sturgis.

On October 31, 1977, at approximately 2130 hours Det. Mathew Rosenthal and Det. Jim Rothstein arrested Frank Sturgis when he came to assassinate Marita Lorenz, a witness to the planning of the Kennedy assassination. When Sturgis rang Marita to gain entry to the building, Rosenthal and Rothstein assumed their position. They crouched low next to the door with their guns drawn and their shields pinned to their suit jackets. When Sturgis entered the premises, Rothstein placed his gun in Sturgis’ mouth and shouted, “Police! You’re under arrest mother xxxxer; don’t move.” Sturgis mumbles, “I hope you’re Detectives.” Rosenthal had his gun put to Sturgis’ chest and identified himself as a Police Officer. The Detectives searched Sturgis. Once the Detectives knew that the scene was under control, Rothstein congratulates Sturgis for assassinating John F Kennedy. Rothstein tells Sturgis that he was present when Kennedy ordered the bombing and support to stop, just as the invasion of the Bay of Pigs began. Sturgis says, “The only way you can know that is if you were on the Essex.” Rothstein replies, “Yes, I was.” Rothstein and Sturgis shook hands; they were both professionals and were doing their job.

Detectives Rothstein and Rosenthal questioned Sturgis for approximately two hours at Marita’s apartment before taking him for booking at the local precinct. During this time, Sturgis was very frank with the Detectives. He admitted that he was on the Grassy Knoll at Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Texas, when Kennedy was assassinated and that he was one of the shooters from the Grassy Knoll. The Detectives received valuable information from Sturgis. Sturgis tells the Detectives that OP40’s mandate was “to protect our country at all costs.” When Sturgis was asked why Kennedy was assassinated, he told the Detectives that there were three reasons. Number one was that Kennedy had double-crossed OP40 in the Bay of Pigs Invasion by pulling back the support. Number two was that he (Kennedy) had been told to stay away from the women, especially the Russian woman, Ellen Rometsch, because he would be compromised and jeopardize national security. Number three was that Kennedy was destroying the black community through his liberal social programs.

The second part of the questioning was about his involvement in the Watergate Break-in that occurred on June 17, 1972. Sturgis was one of the five burglars arrested by Sgt. Paul Leeper, Det. Carl Shoffler, and Det. John Barrett, of the Washington D.C. Police Department. Sturgis said it was a set-up from the start, there had to have been a rat on the inside who sold them out. Sturgis said the break-in was to get the “book” that had the names of clients who used the prostitution and pedophile ring operating out of the Democratic National Headquarters. This information was to be used to compromise both Republican and Democratic clients who used the ring. The break-in led to the fall of President Richard Nixon on August 8, 1974. President Nixon had nothing to do with the planning of the break-in. In fact he had no prior knowledge that the break-in was going to occur.

Later Shoffler would tell Rothstein that he had somebody on the inside and had received information that the break-in was going to happen. Shoffler’s tour had ended one and a half hours before he made the arrest. In 2012, Robert Merritt called retired Det. Rothstein and stated that he was Shoffler’s informant. In a book written by Robert Merritt, Watergate Exposed, he tells the tale of the break-in.

When Sturgis was taken to the local precinct the Detectives identified themselves and told the desk lieutenant that they were booking Frank Forini (Sturgis’ real name). They took Sturgis to the Detectives room and began processing the arrest. That’s when things got strange. Rosenthal advises Sturgis of his rights. Sturgis asks to make a call, which Rothstein does. He tells Rothstein to call Gaeton Fonzi, the investigator in the House Assassination Hearings. Rothstein is surprised, that a suspect would call the investigator and he is the suspect. When Fonzi answers the phone, Rothstein identifies himself and tells Fonzi that Sturgis is under arrest and wants to talk to him. Fonzi was dumbfounded. (See The Last Investigation, by Gaeton Fonzi, page 103). Shortly after the call was made the desk officer calls the Detectives to inform them that a Frank Nelson (CIA and Organized Crime in Cuba) was at the desk and was looking for Frank Sturgis, and, if in, fact Forini was Sturgis. The answer was yes. Within minutes all hell broke loose. Every big boss in the Police Department was calling to find out what happened. The Detectives finished booking Sturgis and were requested to report to the offices of John Guido and Harold Hess, two of the top bosses involved in this type of case. When the Detectives arrive at Guido and Hess’s office they are asked if they had anything eat. The Detectives said no. Hess sends out one of his staff to get a six pack of beer and sandwiches. He asks the Detectives, “Is it good and clean arrest?” The Detectives say, “Yes, it is and it is solid.” Hess replies, “Good that is all I want to know.” The Detectives advise Guido and Hess of what happened. Rosenthal and Rothstein are asked to arraign Sturgis and go home and get some rest.

At the arraignment of Frank Sturgis in Manhattan Criminal ADA Broomer is assigned to the case. The Detectives inform Broomer of the tape corroborating the allegations made by Marita and Meskil. Broomer asks the Detectives where the tape is. They inform Broomer that they will pick up the tape at Meskils residence in Nassau County on their way back to the city from their residences. Early the next morning all hell breaks loose again. Unknown members of the New York City Police Department went to Meskil’s residence to get the tapes. When Meskil’s son answers the door, he sees that it is not Detectives Rosenthal and Rothstein. The son calls the Nassau County Police Department and tells them that somebody was at his door trying to take evidence of the Kennedy assassination. Nassau County Police responded in full force. The New York City Cops were sent packing.

Detectives Rosenthal and Rothstein are notified by Guido and Hess of what happened; somebody had sand-bagged them and they should immediately proceed to the Meskil residence and retrieve the tapes. Rosenthal and Rothstein meet with the son at Meskil’s residence and the son was so proud that he had protected the tapes for Rosenthal and Rothstein, as his father had told him to do. The son gives the tapes to the Detectives. The detectives knew what was coming; the cover-up was started.

Detectives Rosenthal and Rothstein take the tape to ADA Broomer’s office and the tape is played. Marita and Meskil were right. Sturgis is heard telling Marita, “You know what the rules are and what happens if you talk.” Broomer and the powers to-be decide that is not a threat. The Detectives argue vehemently that it is clearly a threat and you have to be totally stupid if you don’t understand that. The Detectives know the fix was in. The charges against Sturgis were dropped.

The boxes of files in Marita’s apartment were hand delivered to the House Assassination Hearings in Washington DC by Marita Lorenz and retired Det. Bobby Polachek, who had been a partner of Det. Rothstein at the 26 Precinct.

Subsequently, Rosenthal, Rothstein, and the City of New York were sued by Sturgis for $16 million for making a false arrest. The case was tried by Judge Leonard Sand in the Federal Court in the Southern District of New York. Sturgis was represented by Henry Rothblatt. Rothstein was called as the last witness late in the day. He was sworn in by the judge and the case was adjourned till the next day. As Det. Rothstein was getting ready to leave the court house, he was warned by unnamed sources that his life was in danger and that he should not go home. Det. Rothstein called one of his informants, who lived in the neighborhood near the court house, and asked her for assistance. She was connected to organized crime figures in the same area. Det. Rothstein left through the back door and was safely taken to an apartment by his informant and her friends.

The next morning, Det. Rothstein took the stand to testify. Before anything was said, Judge Sand was summoned to his chambers. After an hour or so, Det. Rothstein was called to the Judge’s Chambers. Det. Rothstein was asked what it would take for him not to testify. Everybody in the courtroom, especially the media, knew Det. Rothstein was going to let it all hang out. An agreement was reached that the City Of New York was going to pay $2,500.00 to Sturgis and Det. Rosenthal and Det. Rothstein were to be commended for acting above and beyond the call of duty. Judge Sand advised Det. Rothstein that he would be called in front of the bench and, if Det. Rothstein wanted to make a statement, he could say anything he wanted to say. Det. Rothstein realized it was in his best interest to keep his big mouth shut. As Rothstein turns to leave the courtroom, Sturgis and Rothblatt shake Rothstein’s hand and asked if he would be part of their organization. Rothstein replies, “It is an honor for you to ask, but I cannot do that.” He left the courthouse.

THE AFTERMATH:

Sometime during the summer of 1983, Retired Detective Rothstein was sitting at the bar in Georgia’s Bar and Restaurant at 722 South Wellwood Avenue, Lindenhurst, New York talking to customers. A well-dressed man, wearing typical “spook” attire, came in and sat next to Rothstein. He introduced himself as a former New York City, police officer who had moved to Florida. During an hour conversation he told Rothstein that when Detectives Rosenthal and Rothstein arrested Frank Sturgis he was sent with a “bag of money” from Florida to get Sturgis out of jail. He did not say where the money came from. He knew all the facts about Sturgis. Rothstein has never seen or heard from him again and never knew why he came in the first place.

I'm certain the communists had extracted all the info they could from the two spies before selling them. Have two buds who retired from CIA and one was sent to Africa in the 70's with $100,000 in US and went to a small village and ransomed a white guy. He had a phony passport for the guy. They flew into DC and a crew from CIA picked him up. During the time they were together not a single word was spoken. He though the guy was of Slavic descent but had nothing to prove it.

Note: Should a member of the forum desire to contact Mr. Viken, I can supply his email address upon request.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: January 23, 2010

To: Bob Guimond

Re: Detective James Rothstein , NYPD (retired)

Dear Mr. Guimond, I understand that a certain Deputy Sheriff Weiss told you that the Stearns County Sheriff’s Department which he represents has not found Detective Rothstein to be a very reliable source of information in the past and encouraged you to check into what he has told you about himself to see if he is trustworthy and you can believe him.

Mr. Guimond, I am going to help you out with some background on Mr. Rothstein, things that I know of first hand.

First, let me tell you who I am. I have been a resident of Minnesota all my life and live in the Twin Cities. I am a retired psychologist. I was a licensed Psychologist and licensed Marriage and Family Therapist for 28 years. I retired with a perfectly clean record from my profession. I do not drink alcohol or use drugs and have never been convicted of any crime.

During the many years I practiced I had several difficult cases in which my clients were victims of compromised and corrupt law enforcement. After contacting a certain congressman’s office for help with one difficult case, I was told by his investigator that I should contact retired Detective James Rothstein, because it was their belief that he knew more about these issues than anyone else. Before I contacted Detective Rothstein, I called the personnel office at the NYPD to check his references. After the usual runaround, I told them I was referred by the Congressman's office and then I was placed in contact with a higher up. He told me that yes, Detective Rothstein was with the NYPD for 15 years, that he was a Gold Shield plainclothes detective, that he worked on special investigation squads that handled many very sensitive cases, and that he retired honorably with a very esteemed career to his credit.

I then contacted Detective Rothstein who was very helpful. He also put me in contact with a County Sheriff that also uncovered the same corruption that had ties to Minnesota who was investigating that corruption. Over the years I have contacted Detective Rothstein many times for information that has proved to be very accurate and quite helpful. On one difficult case I was greatly assisted by Congressman Charlie Rose's chief investigator who also worked very closely with Detective Rothstein on some very difficult corruption cases. This man always spoke very highly of Detective Rothstein and told me that Detective Rothstein had helped many citizens over the years.

As you may know Detective Rothstein moved back home to Minnesota and became the Mayor of St. Martin. Over the years I had contact with a number of high level law enforcement that knew Detective Rothstein very well because of their knowledge of him coming to Minnesota to investigate pedophile networks and the "Minnesota Connection" affair. Detective Rothstein is considered by many in federal law enforcement to be the top expert in high level pedophile crimes in the country and fortunately for us he just happens to have retired back in Minnesota, his childhood home. Certainly there is no other retired law enforcement person in Minnesota at this time with his credentials and level of experience who is respected as much as he is.

Let me give you a little background on Detective Rothstein so that you have a better understanding of what he is all about. Detective Rothstein testified in Federal Court many, many times as a witness for the prosecution. He did special investigations for the New York State Select Committee on Crime. He was one of only two detectives who answered directly only the Committee at the request of Governor Hugh Carey. I know for a fact that Detective Rothstein worked on some of the most sensitive investigations you could ever imagine. He was part of a very special fifteen man squad in the NYPD, part of which was a special five man detail that worked on ultra sensitive cases. And in fact on the very most sensitive cases, Detective Rothstein was the sole detective assigned and reported only directly to a chief in the NYPD.

Let me give you a little background on the NYPD , most folks in law enforcement have no idea just how big it really is and how many cities it operates out of. This information is not generally known, but I think it would be helpful for you to know about it.

The NYPD is the largest, most powerful police department in the world. It has an intelligence and special operations units that work in almost every major city of the world, including every major city in the USA. New York considers itself the capital of world finance and is tasked with additional responsibilities because of that, responsibilities which I will not go into here for sake of brevity.

Detective Rothstein and members of his squad were often task to work in many major US cities. When they would come to a city, let's say Minneapolis, their support staff would arrange for local cooperation and support from law enforcement as it became needed. I know for a fact that Detective Rothstein worked on cases that intersected with Minneapolis Police Officers Al Palmquist and Gary McGaughy and other Minneapolis Police Officers who often worked the Lake Street vice issues. Detective Rothstein was a legend among many police involved in these sensitive investigations across the country, such as renowned DC Detective Karl Schoffler and others of his stature.

Detective Rothstein does have one issue, however, which I view as very valuable to the community. He is of the belief that once a law enforcement person retires, he still maintains an obligation to help the community out in any way possible using his experience and knowledge for the benefit of the community and its citizens. When folks are in trouble and can't get help from their local police, either due to incompetence or in some cases corruption or compromise of the local police, folks are often referred to Detective Rothstein for suggestions on what they can do and how to approach the problem in order to get needed help, that is, how to work around that corruption to obtain justice at a higher governmental level. And that is how I was referred to him. It was in the process of my trying to obtain help for one of my clients who could not get justice through normal channels. Detective Rothstein had a reputation for helping folks in the community when he was active in the NYPD. He developed a very large system of informants because of this and was always a "stand up guy" (street term you may be aware of and know what it means). This reputation of being willing to help folks in the community who were victims of crime stuck with him and followed him even after he retired, often with referrals being made by some of the informants he had while working for the NYPD.

Over the years Detective Rothstein’s reputation for helping the citizens who had trouble obtaining justice in their community continued to follow him largely because he usually was able to provide excellent help to those in such need. A number of Congressman referred folks to him for these reasons. Quite a few well known and highly esteemed attorneys such as Phyllis Cox (daughter of Archibald Cox) also consulted with Detective Rothstein in regard to sensitive cases in order to help their clients obtain justice otherwise denied. Well known and highly respected attorney Mike Johnston was one I know of that always spoke very highly of Detective Rothstein. There are many more names of esteemed public figures that consulted with Detective Rothstein and referred citizen victims to him that were denied justice in their communities.

One such individual was Dr. Harold D. Lasswell of the Policy Science Institute in NYC, one of the most esteemed professors of law and political science in the world (Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Chicago, became a Professor of Law at Yale University and a Distiguished Professor at Temple University—he received many, many awards and was one of the few sociologists that studied traditional psychoanalysis in Europe). Dr. Lasswell was often a consultant to the highest levels in the Federal Government and travelled in very high circles.

Dr. Lasswell met with Detective Rothstein many, many times and spoke of him very highly. He used to tell others that Detective Rothstein was the kind of honest and ethical law enforcement officer we needed in this country at every level. I know that Dr. Lasswell was very concerned with finding solutions to major social and community problems and often used to asked Detective Rothstein his opinion on how best to address these issues. I know that Dr. Lasswell paid very close attention to what Detective Rothstein told him, occasionally making references in his classes and speeches about him and his work. I know for a fact that Dr. Lasswell believed that Detective Rothstein could not be compromised and that he was well aware that Detective Rothstein believed that everyone, even the least powerful citizens, deserved justice in their communities. Even to this day Detective Rothstein has many informants across the United States that still keep in contact with him and provide useful information, and this includes some in Minnesota. It is a well known fact that for years numerous alphabet agents have come to Detective Rothstein for help and guidance with their careers and sensitive investigations.

I could go on and on about the many high level cases that Detective Rothstein worked on while at the NYPD . Some of this work is very well documented such as his arrest of Frank Sturgiss (aka the very dangerous Frank Fiorini , an Op40 "company wetboy ", also one of the Watergate "Plumbers"). Detective Rothstein saved the life of Marita Lorenz that day with that arrest and this story became legendary because once again Detective Rothstein proved he was a "stand up guy".

Detective Rothstein is of the highest moral character, honest to a fault, and has always been committed to honest law enforcement at every level. I would testify as a character witness for him anytime, anywhere because I know what a fine individual he is firsthand. And I also know others who are more esteemed than I am who also feel the same way about Detective Rothstein. You may not realize that Detective Rothstein has been consulted, with great success, on several sensitive cases in Minnesota. He usually prefers to stay in the background and never desires any glory or credit for himself. What he does want is for "justice to be done", especially for the little people that are often abused and ignored by the system. His work has been included in several investigative reports by Television stations in the Twin Cities.

I know for a fact that Detective Rothstein is highly respected by reporters and producers at one of these stations due to his work which proved to be 100% accurate, because I was told this by one of these individuals first hand when he worked at a particular station on a certain very sensitive investigation.

An honest law enforcement person is always concerned with cleaning up corruption in the local community he serves and seeing that the drug traffickers and pedophiles are brought to justice. I can tell you emphatically that NO ONE, not a single person has ever brought more pedophiles to justice in the USA than Detective James Rothstein. That is what he was legendary for when he worked at the NYPD.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the esteemed Detective Rothstein. He has been a treasure to the citizens of Minnesota ever since he moved back here. I would sincerely question the motives or level of knowledge of anyone in law enforcement that suggests Detective Rothstein is not what he says he is, or in any way tries to discredit him or treat his work with disrespect. Either they are compromised or are very inept, very ignorant, or did not do their homework.

What I have written here is all public information. Feel free to share it with anyone you chose including any politicians, Stearns County police officials or Deputy Sheriff Weiss. Anyone who tries to spread wrong information about Detective Rothstein for whatever motive, ignorance or other, or who attempts to discredit his reputation and outstanding service to the community of many years is barking up the wrong tree and certainly will get nowhere with such efforts. Of this I can assure you.

Sincerely,

James P. Viken , Ph .D.

Psychologist Emeritus

Minneapolis, Minnesota

This is a case study of what happens when independent investigators try to ferret out public corruption.

The police raid in 1969 upon the gay bar named Stonewall in Greenwich Village, which caused a famous riot among gays outside the bar and ultimately led to the gay revolution, did not take occur because it was a gay bar. It took place because the Mafia ran the bar, which made payoffs to stay open as it was unlicensed and operated after hours.

The real purpose of the raid, which was devised by Detective Rothstein, was to identify and monitor the bar’s payoff to the bagman for a high NYPD police official, the First Deputy Commissioner, who had arranged that the bar could operate illegally. After Rothstein received the signal from his informant inside the bar that the payoff to the bagman had taken place and then watched the bagman depart, the raid was commenced although only Rothstein and one or two others knew what was behind the raid, which was an out-and-out attack by the honest cops againt the dishonest cops and the Mafia.

When the cops rushed into the bar they destroyed almost everything inside, confiscated the liquor, arrested the management (except for Rothstein’s informant) and subjected the gays inside to abuse and harassment. The gays were well aware that Stonewall was Mafia operated and that it stayed open because of payoffs to the police. They had come to believe that the only places safe for them to congregate in New York City were of this type. However, the gays were outraged and felt betrayed as they watched what was happening to their favorite bar. They had no knowledge that Rothstein’s intent to monitor the Mafia’s payoff to the bagman for the high police official was a prelude to launching a public investigation into police corruption.

The ensuing controversy over Stonewall and other illegal establishments run by the Mafia through payoffs to the police led to the creation of the Knapp Commission in 1970. The Knapp Commission’s stated purpose was to investigate corruption in NYPD. It was headed by Whitman Knapp. Maurice Nadjari was named the Special Prosecutor in 1972. From the beginning, the Commission and Special Prosecutor’s office were compromised. Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau had a spy in the commission as did Matty “The Horse” Ianniello, a mobster. A few days before Nadjari was fired or resigned from the special prosecutor’s office, Detective Rothstein and John Rubenstein of the New York State Select Committee on Crime met with Nadjari at a bar and restaurant next to his office. Rothstein informed him that Nadjari’s right hand assistant had met with Matty “The Horse” and had sold him out. Nadjari asked Rothstein if he would make those statements in the assistant’s presence. Rothstein replied, “Absolutely.” When Nadjari’s assistant showed up a few minutes later, Rothstein repeated what he knew. The assistant never denied the allegations. This was because Detective Rothstein had a high level informant who attended the meeting with Nadjari’s assistant and Matty “The

Horse.”

The end result was that the Knapp Commission never achieved its potential to successfully investigate and end corruption in the police department.

http://en.wikipedia....napp_Commission

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Detective Rothstein was interviewed for today on The Power Hour primarily about Ihsan Barbouti and his role in the first World Trade Center bombing, the Pan Am 103 crash and the Oklahoma City bombing. To listen to the interview, click on the first link below.

http://www.thepowerhour.com/schedule.htm

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,151282,00.html

I'm certain the communists had extracted all the info they could from the two spies before selling them. Have two buds who retired from CIA and one was sent to Africa in the 70's with $100,000 in US and went to a small village and ransomed a white guy. He had a phony passport for the guy. They flew into DC and a crew from CIA picked him up. During the time they were together not a single word was spoken. He though the guy was of Slavic descent but had nothing to prove it.

This actually undermines Rothstein's fable, obviously there was inflation in the 10 years or so that separated the incidents but $7500 for TWO CIA agents held in East Berlin compared to $100,000 for a foreign asset in a small African village? The quantities should have been reversed.

This is a case study of what happens when independent investigators try to ferret out public corruption.

The police raid in 1969 upon the gay bar named Stonewall in Greenwich Village, which caused a famous riot among gays outside the bar and ultimately led to the gay revolution, did not take occur because it was a gay bar. It took place because the Mafia ran the bar, which made payoffs to stay open as it was unlicensed and operated after hours.

The real purpose of the raid, which was devised by Detective Rothstein, was to identify and monitor the bar’s payoff to the bagman for a high NYPD police official, the First Deputy Commissioner, who had arranged that the bar could operate illegally. After Rothstein received the signal from his informant inside the bar that the payoff to the bagman had taken place and then watched the bagman depart, the raid was commenced although only Rothstein and one or two others knew what was behind the raid, which was an out-and-out attack by the honest cops againt the dishonest cops and the Mafia.

When the cops rushed into the bar they destroyed almost everything inside, confiscated the liquor, arrested the management (except for Rothstein’s informant) and subjected the gays inside to abuse and harassment. The gays were well aware that Stonewall was Mafia operated and that it stayed open because of payoffs to the police. They had come to believe that the only places safe for them to congregate in New York City were of this type. However, the gays were outraged and felt betrayed as they watched what was happening to their favorite bar. They had no knowledge that Rothstein’s intent to monitor the Mafia’s payoff to the bagman for the high police official was a prelude to launching a public investigation into police corruption.

The ensuing controversy over Stonewall and other illegal establishments run by the Mafia through payoffs to the police led to the creation of the Knapp Commission in 1970. The Knapp Commission’s stated purpose was to investigate corruption in NYPD. It was headed by Whitman Knapp. Maurice Nadjari was named the Special Prosecutor in 1972. From the beginning, the Commission and Special Prosecutor’s office were compromised. Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau had a spy in the commission as did Matty “The Horse” Ianniello, a mobster. A few days before Nadjari was fired or resigned from the special prosecutor’s office, Detective Rothstein and John Rubenstein of the New York State Select Committee on Crime met with Nadjari at a bar and restaurant next to his office. Rothstein informed him that Nadjari’s right hand assistant had met with Matty “The Horse” and had sold him out. Nadjari asked Rothstein if he would make those statements in the assistant’s presence. Rothstein replied, “Absolutely.” When Nadjari’s assistant showed up a few minutes later, Rothstein repeated what he knew. The assistant never denied the allegations. This was because Detective Rothstein had a high level informant who attended the meeting with Nadjari’s assistant and Matty “The

Horse.”

The end result was that the Knapp Commission never achieved its potential to successfully investigate and end corruption in the police department.

http://en.wikipedia....napp_Commission

This doesn't fit the known facts of the raid or the commission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots#Police_raid

Neither your link nor video made any mention of Rothstein or the Stonewall. Rather they confirm the conventional narrative that it was the testimones of detectives Serpico, Durk and Phillips etc that led to its formation

• 4 weeks later...

Detective Rothstein and I were interviewed on the national radio show, The Power Hour, today, April 29, 2013.

If you care to listen to the program, I would suggest skipping the first hour and instead listen to the second hour interview of Det. Rothstein and the third hour interview of Det. Rothstein and me.

http://www.thepowerhour.com/schedule.htm

• 3 months later...

Len,

I think it's dangerous to label a person a BS artist because of a "feeling" or because their story doesn't match your expectations. What is the criteria that someone must meet to be credible? Everyone who has ever had any first hand knowledge of this case has been vilified in some way, at some time, by some "researcher". My take on Rothstein is that he doesn't care a bit what other people think and that his story hasn't changed.

I only posted this because it was made available to me by Scott Kaiser and there are some tidbits of information in this ostensibly "private" conversation that are quite interesting.

Scott Kaiser thinks his father was murdered by the CIA/Sturgis and that could be true and maybe it's not. He doesn't believe his father, Edwin Kaiser, had any involvement in the Assassination of JFK but believes that he may have stolen some papers and photographs related to the Assassination which led to his demise. Because of his father's legacy, Scott has extraordinary access to the Cuban community in Miami and it'll be interesting to see what that reveals.

My own opinion of the whole "Bay of Pigs Thing" is that the Anti-Catro Cubans were set up from the get go, that the C.I.A. knew that the invasion couldn't succeed as planned and that the hopes at the C.I.A.'s top echelon was that the failed C.I.A. incursion would be a pre-cursor to a full fledged invasion by the US Military. That having failed, plan B was to have the President Assassinated and pin the deed on Cuba/Fidel hoping that would propel the conflict. It's popular, even today, in the Cuban community, to insist that "Fidel did it", and why not? If it was revealed that anti-Castro Cubans participated in the killing of an American President that fact wouldn't help extend their current agenda at all.