The Education Forum

Question for the board

I am having difficulty posting images on here. Content restricted and maximum reached seem to be the issues.

I do want to point something out concerning Frank Sturgis. This point may have been made before, but I found it striking and invite comment.

In the famous photo of Mr. Sturgis apparently covering his face surrounded by the Operation 40 crowd, he seems to be wearing his wrist watch on his right wrist.

However, when I googled his image, I found 7 to 8 photos illustrating him wearing his wrist watch on his left wrist.

As a creature of habit or preference, men do not usually change which wrist they wear their watch on. Maybe, it's not Mr. Sturgis after all.

I am having difficulty posting images on here. Content restricted and maximum reached seem to be the issues.

I do want to point something out concerning Frank Sturgis. This point may have been made before, but I found it striking and invite comment.

In the famous photo of Mr. Sturgis apparently covering his face surrounded by the Operation 40 crowd, he seems to be wearing his wrist watch on his right wrist.

However, when I googled his image, I found 7 to 8 photos illustrating him wearing his wrist watch on his left wrist.

As a creature of habit or preference, men do not usually change which wrist they wear their watch on. Maybe, it's not Mr. Sturgis after all.

Anthony,

Good observation.

Maybe it's William "Tosh" Plumlee?

--Tommy :sun

Anthony,

Good observation.

Maybe it's William "Tosh" Plumlee?

--Tommy :sun

Thx. In all fairness, I can only say that I don't believe that it is Frank Sturgis. TD

Anthony ; re photos, fyi, at the top of the Forums page, you will see on the left hand side...posted see below information by Evan, you may have not cleaned out your uploads and used up your alloted space, whatever have a read, it should clarify any related problems with such for you...b

Important - Attachments & Disk Space

Posted by Evan Burton

You mean 'flipped'. No, flip it and you can still see it's right. All if not most other people there holding things are right handed. Statistics make it so, that's just to confirm. What you are talking about is the way painters used lenses to project images onto a canvas and paint behind. Paintings can be dated by percieving the flipping of handedness to where they used corrective mirrors or lenses to get that one right.

edit add: unless you mean flopped is a term to describe a reverse engineering of that, but either way the right handedness of others in the pic is obvious so by inference so is whoever.

Edited by John Dolva

"Flopped" is a standard photographic term in photofinishing where the negative is turned over in the enlarger, in other words negs are usually printed emulsion side down (to the paper) but FLOP is to place the neg in the carrier with the emulsion side UP, hence the image printed flipped. My freeware Irfanview image viewer/manipulator I noticed uses the term flip (vertical flip) - same thing.

If the neg was printed flopped (flipped) then you would see the watch on the other side of the person.

Edited by Jerry Ellis

Yes,

"edit add: unless you mean flopped is a term to describe a reverse engineering of that, but either way the right handedness of others in the pic is obvious so by inference so is whoever."

Do people alll hold their glasses in their left hand? Do waiters hold their stuff in particular hands. That is the give away. That's how the method was 'discovered' by noticing that a period of paintings were not logical. So even if it was flopped it's deducible which hand is which.

edit typos

Edited by John Dolva

1143065774.jpg

Are you sure that's Sturgis?

Below is the same image flipped.... and all of a sudden the table is filled with left handed drinkers.... I think the image is correct and that is not Sturgis

my .02

post-1587-0-42698200-1363977917_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Josephs

I'm a bit confused, but I think it is neither flipped nor flopped and you're right in that the image is correct.

A better photo with more pixels might clear up the matter. Are we seeing buttons or buttonholes on the portion of jacket covering “Sturges’” face? Buttonholes on men’s suit jackets are on the wearer’s left, and I think I’m seeing buttonholes.

Men that part their hair usually do so on the left. What are we seeing here?

I don’t know if this is a sartorial custom, but all the striped ties in my closet have the stripe descending from the wearer’s right to left, just as the ties are doing on the first two men on the right.

However, the last man on the left also appears to be wearing his watch on his right wrist (possibly the fist man on the left as well).

Too bad no one seems to be wearing a handkerchief in his suit pocket.

A better photo with more pixels might clear up the matter. Are we seeing buttons or buttonholes on the portion of jacket covering “Sturges’” face? Buttonholes on men’s suit jackets are on the wearer’s left, and I think I’m seeing buttonholes.

Men that part their hair usually do so on the left. What are we seeing here?

I don’t know if this is a sartorial custom, but all the striped ties in my closet have the stripe descending from the wearer’s right to left, just as the ties are doing on the first two men on the right.

However, the last man on the left also appears to be wearing his watch on his right wrist (possibly the fist man on the left as well).

Too bad no one seems to be wearing a handkerchief in his suit pocket.

Good spot about the striped ties, Tom. In the U.K. stripes on ties slope from the left shoulder to the right hip. In the U.S. they slope the opposite way to distinguish from the "regimental" slope of the Brits. I also agree that what we can see are button holes which again are on the left side of the jacket. So i would say that the photo hasn't been flipped.

Edited by Ray Mitcham