The Education Forum

BOSTON BOMBING

Yet none of these men or their lawyers have been able to convince a judge or jury they were entrapped, nor AFAIK has the ACLU or similar group come to their defence. The author ignored cases like the Times Square bomber, the Ft. Hood shooter and the Detroit underwear bomber. // Colby

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How the FBI Helps Terrorists Succeed (FROM THE LOON/KOOK ATLANTIC)

[...]

Aaronson has a book to sell of course, none of this explains the failure of these men and their lawyers to convince a single judge or jury member they were entrapped, were there even cases were the juries deliberated for an unusually long period? Why haven’t the ACLU or similar groups come to their defense?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ACLU PART OF ISSUE

Monday, April 15, 2013

FBI 'entrapment' tactics questioned in web of phony terror plots and paid informants Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034325_FBI_entrapment_terror_plots.

(NaturalNews) Dave Williams might have made some bad choices in his life that ultimately led to some jail time. But his greatest "crime," seems to have been manufactured by an overzealous federal agency looking to make some sort of "progress" in the war on terror.

Williams, who grew up poor in the small, gritty New York town of Newburgh, had already served time on a drug rap when he and three other local men <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/16/fbi-entrapment-fake-terror-plots?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038">were arrested in May 2009 on charges they plotted to blow up Jewish synagogues and purchase anti-aircraft missiles to shoot down military planes.

Oddly enough, however, the weapons didn't come from some deep, dark terrorist organization. No, they were provided by none other than the F.B.I. who, through a paid informant, set up a so-called "terror" plot they themselves were then able to take down - and take credit for busting up.

Lawyers for Williams and his three "co-conspirators" agree that, were it not for the F.B.I. creating this so-called plot out of thin air, none of the men would be in jail and, in fact, there would have been no plot at all.

It seems, on the surface at least, to be a classic case of entrapment, and some of the legal experts who have examined the facts of the case are shaking their heads. "The target, the motive, the ideology and the plot were all led by the FBI," Karen Greenberg, a law professor at Fordham University in New York, who specializes in studying the new FBI tactics, told the London Guardian newspaper.

"We have as close to a legal entrapment case as I have ever seen," adds Susanne Brody, who is representing another Newburgh defendant, Onta Williams.

The sting of the "Newburgh Four" is not unique. Instead of responding to, or attempting to thwart, actual terrorist plots, the F.B.I. seems to be manufacturing cases. The agency is busy sending informants into Muslim communities to talk of radical Islam and to see who bites on the bait. Even the judge in this case, Colleen McMahon, said when the men were finally sentenced that "there would never have been any case of the government had not made one up."

A similar circumstance involves five men accused of plotting to attack U.S. soldiers outside Fort Dix, N.J. "That case too involved dubious use of paid informants, an apparent over-reach of evidence and a plot that seemed suggested by the government," said the Guardian.

But the F.B.I scheming hasn't ended with the Newburgh Four. Now, new charges have surfaced that the agency is using is outreach programs to "secretly collect and store information about activities protected by the First Amendment for intelligence purposes," the A.C.L.U. alleges.

Among the activities the A.C.L.U. found in documents released by the F.B.I. under the Freedom of Information Act. Agents who attended Ramadan Iftar dinners under the guise of the FBI's mosque outreach program in San Francisco in 2007 and 2008 documented "participant names, conversations and presentations."

In 2009, agents participating in a career day sponsored by an Assyrian community organization in San Jose, Calif., "detailed conversations with three community leaders and members about their opinions, backgrounds and charitable activities."

Also in San Jose in 2007, agents identified each person by name and organization and "demographics" at a mosque outreach meeting attended by 50 people representing 27 Muslim community and religious organizations. These cases beg the question: Doesn't the F.B.I. have enough to do chasing down and preventing legitimate terrorism cases without manufacturing them?

Sources:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/16/fbi-entrapment-fake-terro...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/jun/30/fbi-te...

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/foia-documents-show-fbi-illegal...

Tsarnaev Mother says FBI was in contact with Son for years

• James Φοίνιξ

Comment by James Φοίνιξ 4 hours ago

Mother Of Boston Bombing Suspects Says FBI Has Been Watching Her Son For ...
    Business Insider ‎- 43 minutes ago
    In an interview with Russia Today Friday, Tsarnaeva said that Tamerlan Tsarnaev got involved in "religious politics" five years ago, and that the ...

'They were set up, FBI followed them for years'- Tsarnaev brothers' mother to RT

• ##############################
    ##############################
    Was the FBI Monitoring Boston Bombing Suspects for Years?
    —By Hannah Levintova
    | Fri Apr. 19, 2013 4:39 PM PDT
    fbi.6302.jpgAn FBI agent in Boston, April 15, 2012. Jeremiah Robinson/ZUMA Press
    The mother of both Boston bombing suspects claimed today that the men drew the attention of law enforcement long before the bombings. Zubeidat Tsarnaeva told Russia Today
    that her sons told her the FBI was monitoring them for three to five years, ever since Tamerlan had grown more interested in Islam. She also said the bureau had warned her about her son's use of extremist websites:

FBI was scared of my eldest son. They always told me that he is a leader. He talks about Islam a lot. They were talking to my son. They called me officially and they told me that my son is an excellent boy and they have no problem with him. At the same time, they were telling that he is getting information in really extreme... sites, so they were very, very afraid of him.

Tsarnaeva's defense of her son aside, the possibility of FBI surveillance in this case is not outlandish: As Mother Jones' 2011 investigation, Terrorists for the FBI, showed, the bureau—which has made counterterrorism its top priority since 9/11—has assembled a roster of some 15,000 domestic informants, many tasked with keeping tabs on Muslim communities.

On Friday afternoon, the FBI admitted they had in fact interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev two years ago and found nothing incriminating, CBS news reports. The agency conducted the interview at the request of a so-far unnamed foreign government, CBS says, to see if the elder Tsarnaev had any extremist ties—but their search turned up none.

Edited by Steven Gaal

RELATED TO BOSTON ???????

Berezovsky, the Russian oligarch who, like Zakaev, was granted political asylum in this country, although the Russian authorities want him on numerous charges. Moscow has often accused Berezovsky of funding Chechen rebels in the past.

March 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Boris Berezovsky: A death in exile

By Neil Buckley

Russian tycoon was mired in debt and depression but contradictory messages raise questions about his death

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e472f0d4-985c-11e2-867f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2R0i5sOmS

Guardian: FBI faces questions over previous contact with Boston bombing suspect. Agency admits it interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 'at request of foreign government' but did not find 'terrorism activity'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/21/boston-marathon-bombings-fbi-tsarnaev

ACLU PART OF ISSUE

Monday, April 15, 2013

[...]

So the ACLU accused the FBI of 'Illegally Collecting Intelligence Under Guise of "Community Outreach"' essentially complaining of invasions of privacy but they seem not to have raised concerns about these cases. Neither your source, you or I have found any indicated they did and there no links to such stories in the cited ACLU page and a site search for “Newburgh four” nets “no results”.

No borders to our sympathy

The grief and empathy expressed after the Boston Marathon bombings should extend around the globe to the victims of the U.S. "war on terror," writes Leela Yellesetty.

April 18, 2013

[photo]

Ordinary people, like antiwar activist Carlos Arredondo (in hat), leapt into action after the bombings

MONDAY'S BOMBINGS at the Boston Marathon were another gut-wrenching reminder of how precious and fragile human life can be, how suddenly and cruelly it can be taken away.

In the aftermath of this tragedy, we are offered a glimpse of some of the worst aspects of humanity--the actions of the as-yet-unknown perpetrators of the attacks, as well as the call for racist, genocidal attacks against Muslims in response.

But we also can see some of the best aspects of humanity.

In the wake of the bombings, a quote from Fred Rogers--the now deceased host of a public television children's show--made the rounds on social media. His gentle words are a reminder of the decency of ordinary people can display in a time of crisis:

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers--so many caring people in this world.

Beyond those many heroic first responders in Boston, millions more people across the country and the world reacted with a deep sense of empathy, a visceral understanding that those injured and killed in Boston could just as easily have been a member of our own family or a loved one, and a justifiable outrage that such a thing could happen. This, I think, is a profoundly human response--one that has a way of cutting through divisions as people come together to mourn.

Following the Boston bombings, I remembered a conversation I had with a friend in the wake of the September 11 attacks in 2001. I couldn't get a statistic out of my head that I'd read earlier that week--that thousands of people in Laos died every year from land mines left over from the Vietnam War.

This was a 9/11-scale tragedy happening every year, yet there was no public outcry. It's so "normal" at this point that it doesn't even make the news. I asked: Why is this loss of human life was any less tragic?

My point was not to dismiss the very natural response to tragedy when it hits close to home, but to suggest that moments like this afford us an opportunity to expand the scope of our empathy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"ANY TIME bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it's an act of terrorism," said Barack Obama in response to the attacks in Boston. Yet Obama made no mention of the 11 children and nine adults killed in an air strike in eastern Afghanistan a month before the Boston Marathon explosions. No mention either of the 42 killed and 257 injured in a series of bombings in Iraq on the same day as the Marathon.

On Wednesday, a reporter at a White House press briefing directed a question at White House spokesperson Jay Carney: "President Obama said that what happened in Boston was an act of terrorism. I would like to ask: Do you consider the U.S. bombing on civilians in Afghanistan earlier this month that left 11 children and a woman killed a form of terrorism? Why or why not?"

Carney could not provide a real answer to the question of whether civilians killed by U.S. bombs and drones in Afghanistan qualify as "terrorism." Instead, he referred to the 9/11 attacks: "We have more than 60,000 U.S. troops involved in a war in Afghanistan, a war that began when the United States was attacked, in an attack that was organized on the soil of Afghanistan by al-Qaeda, by Osama bin Laden and others."

This begs the question: What did the 11 children killed in the bombing referred to by the reporter have to do with planning the 9/11 attacks, which happened before they were born? In truth, the vast majority people killed and injured in Afghanistan since the 2001 invasion have had nothing whatsoever to do with al-Qaeda, nor even the former Taliban regime that the U.S. accused, on flimsy evidence, of protecting bin Laden.

The silence of the mainstream media makes it very easy to ignore the deaths of people halfway around the world. But when a bombing like Boston happens close by, we are forced to imagine what it would be like to live in Afghanistan or Iraq--to live in constant fear of attack and to see the people you care most about taken away from you.

It also forces us to face the unsettling fact that these acts of terror halfway around the world are all too often committed in our names. Guardian columnist Glenn Greenwald noted the irony of a comment about the Boston bombings from Washington Examiner columnist David Freddoso: "Idea of secondary bombs designed to kill the first responders is just sick. How does anyone become that evil?" As Greenwald wrote:

I don't disagree with that sentiment. But I'd bet a good amount of money that the person saying it--and the vast majority of other Americans--have no clue that targeting rescuers with "double-tap" attacks is precisely what the U.S. now does with its drone program and other forms of militarism.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TO DATE, U.S. drone attacks have killed at least 175 children in Pakistan and Yemen alone. Ironically, these senseless deaths have their origins in the drive to war that followed after the 9/11 attacks.

Exacting revenge in another part of the world was the U.S. government's response to tragedy a decade ago. But it isn't the only possible response. We could instead use the opportunity to try to ensure that no one, no matter where they live, ever goes through the pain of these nightmares ever again.

A different response is possible, and it was evident in the many moving displays of humanity we've seen in the past few days since the Boston bombings. In particular, I was struck by three pictures I came across. Two are of children--in Afghanistan and in Iraq--expressing their solidarity with the people of Boston.

The third is a picture of Martin Richard, an 8-year-old boy who was killed in Boston on Monday. The picture shows him holding a sign he made for Trayvon Martin, another young man taken from us far too soon. The sign says: "No more hurting people. Peace."

If we truly wish to honor the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, we should take these words to heart. Putting an end to violence and suffering in the world is no small task, but it seems to me that a good place to start would be to demand an end to the acts of terror that are carried out by the U.S. government around the globe, in our name.

As Guardian columnist Gary Younge put it, "I'm up for us 'All Being Bostonians Today.' But then can we all be Yemenis tomorrow and Pakistanis the day after? That's how empathy works."

Edited by John Dolva

Hopsmoker is his typical sleezy self. The quote he included in his article, which supposedly proved the uncle worked for USAID was:

“From 1994 to 1996, Mr. Tsarni served as a consultant contracted by USAID for projects aimed to develop securities markets in Central Asia, where he trained corporate governance and corporate finance principals in state and private companies.”

But the quote from his source was (emphasis mine):

“From 1994 to 1996, Mr. Tsarni served as a consultant for Financial Markets International LLC and Arthur Andersen LLP contracted by USAID for projects aimed to develop securities markets in Central Asia, where he trained corporate governance and corporate finance principals to state and private companies.”

Note that Tsarni was NOT contracted directly by USAID but rather was a consultant for two private firms contracted by the agency. There was no way this was inadvertent, editing out those words took more effort than including the whole quote and he did not even include the three dots indicating elipses. Even if he had his editing still would have been dishonest because the exercised portion greatly weakens his 'money quote'.

On a separate note. Some Brazilian TV journalists went to Boston and the Caucuses to interview people who knew the Tsarnaev brothers. One was a Brazilian auto-mechanic who had a garage (repair shop) in Cambridge; he said he had been friends with Jahar for two years. He said the teenager came in on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after the bombing to pick up his car: "’I need the key now, I have to go now, I have to go now.’ I gave him the key and in five minutes he left…He was very nervous. I had never seen him that way. He was biting his nails and shaking legs and looking from side to side”

Here's a link text and video in Portuguese:

http://g1.globo.com/...r-o-brasil.html

Here’s a Google translation of the text:

http://translate.goo...r-o-brasil.html

EDIT - Added translation link

Edited by Len Colby

From your link

An elite American college in Cambridge admitted younger brother Dzhokhar and granted him a $2,500 scholarship, without subjecting him to the exceptionally stiff standard conditions of admission. This may be explained by his older brother Tamerlan demanding this privilege for his kid brother in part payment for recruitment

LOL Dzhokhar had worked as a lifeguard a pool a Harvard, he studied at UMass-Dorchester. His "elite" scholarship was from the state. How much difference would $2500 make for someone at Harvard which costs 36 - 37,000/year? (just tuition). The CIA got Tamerlan into the uber-elite Bunker Hill Community College.