The Education Forum

Oswald Leaving TSBD?

From where I am sitting, not always in the best position to judge, I don't think Oswald was in his room long enough to change anything, shirts or pants, and he just picked up pistol, sans holster, and jacket. I don't think he changed his pants or shirt, and the shirt he was arrested in is the same shirt he had on when he didn't kill JFK. Just my opinion that doesn't mean jack.

BK

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is Marina's testimony about the various pieces of clothing:

http://www.jfk-assassination.de/warren/wch/vol1/page121.php

(Testimony of Mrs. Lee Harvey Oswald Resumed)

The Chairman.

We will take a short recess.
(Brief recess.)

The Chairman.

We will be in order, please.

Mr. Rankin.

Mrs. Oswald, would you step over with the interpreter to this desk and point out the different pieces of clothing as we ask you about it, please?
Do you know the shirt that Lee Oswald wore the morning that he left?

Mrs. Oswald.

I don't remember. What else interests you? What do you want?

Mr. Rankin.

Can you tell us whether any of this clothing set out on this desk belonged to Lee Oswald?

Mrs. Oswald.

These are Lee's shoes.

Mr. Rankin.

When you say the shoes, you pointed to Exhibit 149?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

This is a pair of shoes of which Exhibit 149 is a photograph.

Mrs. Oswald.

These are his bath slippers.

Mr. Rankin.

Exhibit 148 are his bath slippers?

Mrs. Oswald.

Japanese bath slippers. These shoes I have never seen.

Mr. Rankin.

That is Exhibit 147, you say those are shoes you have never seen?
How about Exhibit 146?

Mrs. Oswald.

These are his, yes. These are all Lee's shirts.

Mr. Rankin.

Exhibits 150, 151----

Mrs. Oswald.

These are his pajamas.

Mr. Rankin.

Exhibits 150, and 151 are Lee Oswald's shirts, is that right?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

And Exhibit 152 is a pair of his pajamas?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

And Exhibit 153--you recognize that?

Mr. Oswald.

That is his shirt.

Mr. Rankin.

And Exhibit 154? Is that one of his shirts?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

Exhibit 155?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes, also. Why is it all torn?

Mr. Rankin.

We are advised it was when he was hurt, they cut into some of these.
Do you recall whether or not he was wearing Exhibit-the shirt that I point to now, the morning of the 22d of November-- Exhibit 150?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes, it was a dark shirt.

Mr. Rankin.

You think that was the one?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

I call your attention to Exhibit 156. Is that a pair of his pants?

Mrs. Oswald.

These are his work pants.

Mr. Rankin.

And 157?

Mrs. Oswald.

Also work pants. These are all work pants.

Mr. Rankin.

158?

Mrs. Oswald.

Why were both of those cut? I don't understand.

Mr. Rankin.

I have not been informed, but I will try to find out for you.

Mrs. Oswald.

It is not necessary.

Mr. Rankin.

Do you recall which of the pants he was wearing on the morning of November 22, 1963?

Mrs. Oswald.

I think the gray ones, but I am not sure, because it was dark in the room, and I paid no attention to what pants he put on.

Mr. Rankin.

By the gray ones, you are referring to what I point to as Exhibit 157, is that right?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

Can you tell us about Exhibit 159, a sweater?

Mrs. Oswald.

That was my gift to Lee, a sweater.

Mr. Rankin.

160?

Mrs. Oswald.

That is Lee's shirt.

Mr. Rankin.

161?

Mrs. Oswald.

This is a pullover sweater. This is his pullover sweater.

Mr. Rankin.

162?

Mrs. Oswald.

That is Lee's--an old shirt.

Mr. Rankin.

Sort of a jacket?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

163?

Mrs. Oswald.

Also.

Mr. Rankin.

Do you recall which one of the sweaters or jackets he was wearing on the morning of November 22, 1963?

Mrs. Oswald.

I don't remember.

Mr. Rankin.

When was the last time that you saw this jacket, Exhibit 163?

Mrs. Oswald.

I don't remember.

Mr. Rankin.

Do you remember seeing it on the morning of November 22, 1963?

Mrs. Oswald.

The thing is that I saw Lee in the room, and I didn't see him getting dressed in the room. That is why it is difficult for me to say. But I told him to put on something warm on the way to work.

Mr. Rankin.

Do you recall whether the jacket, Exhibit 163, is something that he put on in your presence at any time that day?

Mrs. Oswald.

Not in my presence.

Mr. Rankin.

And you didn't observe it on him at any time, then?

Mrs. Oswald.

No.

Mr. Rankin.

Is it possible that Exhibit 163 was worn by him that morning without your knowing about it?

Mrs. Oswald.

Quite possible.

Mr. Rankin.

Now, at the time you saw him at the Dallas jail, can you tell us what clothing of any that are on this desk he was wearing at that time?

Mrs. Oswald.

None of these. He had on a white T-shirt. What trousers he was wearing, I could not tell, because I only saw him through a window.

Mr. Rankin.

Would you examine the collar on the shirt?

Mrs. Oswald.

This is Lee's shirt.

Mr. Rankin.

It has a mark "Brent long tail sanforized."

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes, I know this shirt. I gave it to him. The sweater is also his.

Mr. Rankin.

Do you recall any of these clothes that your husband was wearing when he came home Thursday night, November 21, 1963?

Mrs. Oswald.

On Thursday I think he wore this shirt.

Mr. Rankin.

Is that Exhibit 150?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

Do you remember anything else he was wearing at that time?

Mrs. Oswald.

It seems he had that jacket, also.

Mr. Rankin.

Exhibit 162?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes.

Mr. Rankin.

And the pants, Exhibit 157?

Mrs. Oswald.

Yes. But I am not sure. This is as much as I can remember.

Mr. Rankin.

Thank you.

Mr. Thorne.

I identify this photograph, which is marked Exhibit 164 as being a true photograph of the shirt displayed to Mrs. Oswald, and recognized by her as being a shirt that she gave to Lee Harvey Oswald.

Mr. Rankin.

I offer all of the Exhibits, Nos. 146 to 164, inclusive.

The Chairman.

They may be admitted.
(The articles referred to were marked Commission Exhibit Nos. 146 to 164, inclusive, and received in evidence.)

http://hdblenner.com/NumberedExhibits.htm

Bjørn Gjerde

Further confirmation (thanks to David Josephs and Robert Charles-Dunne) that this button-down shirt--

OGwsIwJ.jpg

was amongst the non-clean clothes found at Oswald's N. Beckley rooming house:

yhikT20.jpg

gEb43Ec.jpg

(Note re. the last document above: it relates, as the previous page in the document makes clear, to Oswald's Beckley residence rather than the Paine house.)

From Bookhout's 4th Interrogation Report:

He stated that after arriving at his apartment, he changed his shirt and trousers because they were dirty. He described his dirty clothes as being a reddish colored long sleeved, shirt with a button-down collar and gray colored trousers. He indicated that he had placed these articles of clothing in the lower drawer of his dresser.

From Thomas J. Kelley's 1st Interrogation Report:

He said he went home, changed his trousers and shirt, put his shirt in a drawer. this was a red shirt, and he put it with his dirty clothes. He described the shirt as having a button down collar and of reddish color. The trousers were grey colored.

CE151 is surely the "reddish" long-sleeved shirt with button-down collar that Oswald told Fritz he took off at his rooming house.

gwbDpv0.jpg

Again, I submit that...

ZACYFZQ.jpg

Edited by Sean Murphy

Very interesting, David, thanks.

Would you be able to post a link to that inventory page?

EDIT: Please disregard, David, I've sourced the page. Cheers.

S.

So far I've seen that shirt described as "light brown," "brown," and "tan." None of those colors are "reddish."

--Tommy :sun

Depends on the shade, Tommy.

Very interesting, David, thanks.

Would you be able to post a link to that inventory page?

EDIT: Please disregard, David, I've sourced the page. Cheers.

S.

So far I've seen that shirt described as "light brown," "brown," and "tan." None of those colors are "reddish."

Depends on the shade, Tommy.

We are drifting into the realm of hues, and color perception by different observers.

A shirt color can appear one shade in bright sunlight, and a different shade in artificial light.

I have a pair of sneakers that are bluish-gray. Another family member says they are plain blue

Just my .02.

From where I am sitting, not always in the best position to judge, I don't think Oswald was in his room long enough to change anything, shirts or pants, and he just picked up pistol, sans holster, and jacket. I don't think he changed his pants or shirt, and the shirt he was arrested in is the same shirt he had on when he didn't kill JFK. Just my opinion that doesn't mean jack.

BK

Bill,

I agree with you.

Oswald didn't have enough time to change his clothes, and it's hard to imagine them getting dirty in order-filling his job, anyway, unless he was moving boxes around. I think he told the investigators that he changed his britches and shirt because it sounded better than going home just to grab his revolver and some ammo (and maybe a jacket). Even if it is true that, as Oswald said, "I took my gun to the theater with me because boys just like to take their gun with them."

Supporting the idea that Oswald lied about changing his clothes is the fact that Marina said in her WC testimony that she thought that he had worn the same shirt to work that he was arrested in [Exhibit 150].

I've seen the long-sleeved, button-down collared, (supposedly) "dirty" shirt [Exhibit 151] that Sean believes Oswald wore to work that day described in the official documents on this thread as being "tan," "light brown," and "brown." Tan and light brown are light colors, but Marina described the shirt Lee wore to work that morning as being "dark."

Regardless of which shirt Oswald wore that day, I'm still bothered by the fact that we can't see any part of his white tee shirt in the Prayer Man footage, although it does appear that we can see Prayer Man's bare neck. Also, it doesn't make sense that Prayer Man would have his shirt buttoned all the way up if his sleeves were rolled up.

Maybe he was hot from working hard so had his sleeves rolled up, but had buttoned his shirt all the way up so as not to offend Jackie with his grubby-looking tee shirt? LOL

Edited by Thomas Graves

Tommy, regarding a couple comments in your post:

"... Oswald didn't have enough time to change his clothes, and it's hard to imagine them getting dirty in order-filling his job, anyway, unless he was moving boxes around."

The floor laying crew had been laying new plywood, pounding hammers for days on the floors of an old warehouse. That tells me that the floors they were working on and the floors below the pounding would have been covered with dust and debris knocked loose from the floors and ceiling below. It is not difficult to envision everything on the the 5th and 6th floors covered with a film of dust and dirt.

Regarding Marina's testimony she mentions more than once that she last saw LHO in a dark room before he went to work.

"Mr. Rankin.

Do you recall which of the pants he was wearing on the morning of November 22, 1963?

Mrs. Oswald.

I think the gray ones, but I am not sure, because it was dark in the room, and I paid no attention to what pants he put on."

"Mrs. Oswald.

The thing is that I saw Lee in the room, and I didn't see him getting dressed in the room. That is why it is difficult for me to say. But I told him to put on something warm on the way to work."

So, Marina sees Lee in a dark room and does not witness him getting dressed, and then he leaves. This relates back to a previous item I posted about judging hues and colors in various lighting conditions. Personally, I do not have a high degree of confidence in Marina's thoughts about what color shirt Lee had on in that dark room. Especially when one shirt is brown and another is dark with a "reddish" hue.
Back to Prayer Man. No one said the shirt was buttoned all the way to the top. PM could have the top 2 buttons undone and I doubt more than a sliver of the low hanging T-shirt would have been visible in that photo taken some 65-75 feet away.
Food for thought.

[...]

The floor laying crew had been laying new plywood, pounding hammers for days on the floors of an old warehouse. That tells me that the floors they were working on and the floors below the pounding would have been covered with dust and debris knocked loose from the floors and ceiling below. It is not difficult to envision everything on the the 5th and 6th floors covered with a film of dust and dirt.

[...]

Richard,

I've read in either Truly's or Shelley's WC testimony that the order fillers like Oswald rarely had occasion to go up to the sixth floor to fill an order.

Anyway, what does it really matter which shirt Prayer Man was wearing?

Would the "tan" "light brown" "brown" button-down collar one be better at covering Oswald's tee shirt? Is that why he has to be wearing that one?

Do you think it's impossible that Oswald lied about changing his clothes?

He was known to have prevaricated from time to time, wasn't he?

if you had gone home just to get your revolver and some ammunition, would you admit it to the interrogators?

Do you think Oswald really went home just to change his dirty clothes and grabbed his gun as an afterthought?

Or do you think that gun was planted on him at the Texas Theater?

Edited by Thomas Graves

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/21/2110-030.gif

And in the notebook used to record all the evidence and where it is listed on the inventory sheets - even the "reddish shirt with metallic thread" becomes a BROWN SHIRT...

Speculation as to whether he changed his clothes or not is just that, speculation. Either we believe that Fritz and Bookout got what he said correctly or they made it up...

the clothes they describe, WHERE they describe it as Oswald supposedly tells them... is exactly where they were found.

The Oswald Mrs Reid sees in a Tshirt is not the same person Ruby killed.... or in my opinion the man she stammers about NOT seeing/leaving in the lunchroom

Mr. BELIN. All right. Do you know about what time it was that you left the lunchroom, was it 12, 12:15?
Mrs. REID. I think around 12:30 somewhere along in there.
Mr. BELIN. All right. When you left the lunchroom, did you leave with the other girls?
Mrs. REID. No; I didn't. The younger girls had gone and I left alone.
Mr. BELIN. Were you the last person in the lunchroom?
Mrs. REID. No; I could not say that because I don't remember that part of it because I was going out of the building by myself, I wasn't even, you know, connected with anyone at all.
Mr. BELIN. Were there any men in the lunchroom when you left there?
Mrs. REID. I can't, I don't, remember that
Mr. BELIN. All right.
Mrs. REID. I can't remember the time they left.

Mr. BELIN. Do you remember what clothes he had on when you saw him?
Mrs. REID. What he was wearing, he had on a white T-shirt and some kind of wash trousers. What color I couldn't tell you.
Mr. BELIN. I am going to hand you what has been marked Commission Exhibit, first 157 and then 158, and I will ask you if either or both look like they might have been the trousers that you saw him wear or can you tell?
Mrs. REID. I just couldn't be positive about that. I would rather not say, because I just cannot.
Mr. BELIN. Do you remember whether he had any shirt or jacket on over his T-shirt?
Mrs. REID. He did not
. He did not have any jacket on

2110-030.gif

[...]

[...]

Richard,

I've read in either Truly's or Shelley's WC testimony that the order fillers like Oswald rarely had occasion to go up to the sixth floor to fill an order.

Would the "tan" "light brown" "brown" button-down collar one be better at covering Oswald's tee shirt? Is that why he has to be wearing that one?

if you had gone home just to get your revolver and some ammunition, would you admit it to the interrogators?

Do you think Oswald really went home just to change his dirty clothes and grabbed his gun as an afterthought?

Thomas, hope you don't mind my addressing your question...

Look at all the images of either Oswald... but focus on Harvey. Appears to me that he is ALWAYS dressed fairly well... from USMC days thru FPCC leafletting - and was dressed just fine at the theater until they roughed him up a bit.

My point is that HARVEY it seems, liked to make a decent impression. He did so to Truly when he was interviewed.... and I have yet to see a photo of HARVEY where he is not dressed well.

The big IF Oswald knew he had to get tot he theater to meet a contact... and knowing he was doing the work for the FBI/CIA he would have to protect himself... Although there is testimony from those in the theater at the time that the revolver was being held by a dark, short sleeved arm... and we KNOW the Seaport Chain of evidence is bogus.... so his being set up with a planted gun... especially given what Hill says about the shells... is very possible/probable.

Ask yourself whether WESTBROOK's finding of the jacket makes any sense... Oswald grabs a jacket only to take it off and leave it on the ground ???

How reliable is the half blind Earlene Roberts?

The problem I have is Fritz page 2...

"Says 11-22-63 rode bus

got trans same out of pocket

........ got off bus after seeing

jam got cab etc .85 fare told you wrong before

at apt. Changed shirts + tr. Put in ditry clothes - long sleeve red sh

+ gray tr."

The "TOLD YOU WRONG BEFORE" sounds like a quote from Oswald... was he telling them that was NOT how it happened yet they did not include that part?? IDK... but the bus ride and Baker/Truly did not happen as these notes suggest... and Oswald I believe says so repeatedly....

These notes were not made public or even offered to the SS/FBI until ?? (any help?) so that Bledsoe's story could be made to support the notes....

I am also not 100% convinced that HARVEY was the man who went to his room in "shirt sleeves".... unless he had already removed his shirt as he was moving along.

(As a side note, I know I have favorite clothes, no reason to believe that Oswald here did not like much of the same things... grey slacks, t-shirt and brown/reddish sport/dress shirt as a "jacket" or covering. He also had some blue stuff but for the most part his clothing was all very similar)

Awareness of this info about his changing clothes (or Baker's affidavit saying nothing about a lunchroom, door or little window) leads me back to the conclusion that the evidence compiled to convict Oswald was created on the spot as needed... Soemthing the DPD and FBI were notoriously known for.

DJ

good find on the brown shirt David.

Tommy, as to why the shirt might be important, below is a sample of Mary Bledsoe's WC testimony:

Mrs. BLEDSOE - And, after we got past Akard, at Murphy---I figured it out. Let's see. I don't know for sure. Oswald got on. He looks like a maniac. His sleeve was out here [indicating]. His shirt was undone.

Mr. BALL - It was unraveled?

Mrs. BLEDSOE - Was a hole in it, hole, and he was dirty ...

Mr. BALL - Now, what color shirt did he have on?

Mrs. BLEDSOE - He had a brown shirt.

Mrs. BLEDSOE - Hole in his sleeve right here [indicating].

Mr. BALL - Which is the elbow of the sleeve? That is, you pointed to the elbow?

Mrs. BLEDSOE - Well, it is.

Mr. BALL - And that would be which elbow, right or left elbow?

Mrs. BLEDSOE - Right.

Mrs. BLEDSOE - Yes; all the buttons torn off.

For a wealth of details about Bledsoe and Bus 1213, do a search on Bus 1213 in this forum.

Thanks Richard...

Mr. BELIN - Could you describe the man that you saw running down toward the station wagon?
Mr. CRAIG - Oh, he was a white male in his twenties, five nine, five eight, something like that; about 140 to 150; had kind of medium brown sandy hair--you know, it was like it'd been blown--you know, he'd been in the wind or something--it was all wild-looking; had on--uh--blue trousers--
Mr. BELIN - What shade of blue? Dark blue, medium or light?
Mr. CRAIG - No; medium, probably; I'd say medium. And, a--uh--light tan shirt, as I remember it.

Mr. BELIN - I hand you Exhibit No. 150. Have you ever seen a shirt like this before? Does this look familiar to the shirt that the suspect might have been wearing when you saw him, or this man running toward the station wagon?
Mr. CRAIG - It's the same type of shirt.
Mr. BELIN - I believe you used the phrase, "light shirt". Would Exhibit 150 be darker than the shirt he was wearing?
Mr. CRAIG - Uh--it looks darker in here--yes, uh-huh.

Roger is not shown CE151... Wonder why? :ph34r:

[...]

[...]

Richard,

Thomas, hope you don't mind my addressing your question...

Look at all the images of either Oswald... but focus on Harvey. Appears to me that he is ALWAYS dressed fairly well... from USMC days thru FPCC leafletting - and was dressed just fine at the theater until they roughed him up a bit.

My point is that HARVEY it seems, liked to make a decent impression. He did so to Truly when he was interviewed.... and I have yet to see a photo of HARVEY where he is not dressed well.

The big IF Oswald knew he had to get tot he theater to meet a contact... and knowing he was doing the work for the FBI/CIA he would have to protect himself... Although there is testimony from those in the theater at the time that the revolver was being held by a dark, short sleeved arm... and we KNOW the Seaport Chain of evidence is bogus.... so his being set up with a planted gun... especially given what Hill says about the shells... is very possible/probable.

Ask yourself whether WESTBROOK's finding of the jacket makes any sense... Oswald grabs a jacket only to take it off and leave it on the ground ???

How reliable is the half blind Earlene Roberts?

The problem I have is Fritz page 2...

"Says 11-22-63 rode bus

got trans same out of pocket

........ got off bus after seeing

jam got cab etc .85 fare told you wrong before

at apt. Changed shirts + tr. Put in ditry clothes - long sleeve red sh

+ gray tr."

The "TOLD YOU WRONG BEFORE" sounds like a quote from Oswald... was he telling them that was NOT how it happened yet they did not include that part?? IDK... but the bus ride and Baker/Truly did not happen as these notes suggest... and Oswald I believe says so repeatedly....

These notes were not made public or even offered to the SS/FBI until ?? (any help?) so that Bledsoe's story could be made to support the notes....

I am also not 100% convinced that HARVEY was the man who went to his room in "shirt sleeves".... unless he had already removed his shirt as he was moving along.

(As a side note, I know I have favorite clothes, no reason to believe that Oswald here did not like much of the same things... grey slacks, t-shirt and brown/reddish sport/dress shirt as a "jacket" or covering. He also had some blue stuff but for the most part his clothing was all very similar)

Awareness of this info about his changing clothes (or Baker's affidavit saying nothing about a lunchroom, door or little window) leads me back to the conclusion that the evidence compiled to convict Oswald was created on the spot as needed... Soemthing the DPD and FBI were notoriously known for.

DJ

David,

If, as you think, the revolver was planted on Oswald at the theater, who, then, do you think came up with the classic Oswald line as to why he had taken the dang thing with him to the picture show -- "You know how boys do when they have a gun, they just carry it."

- and -

If you were Oswald and had a pistol, given the situation you were in or thought you might be in, wouldn't you have it taken it to your dark, prearranged meeting place, too?

Edited by Thomas Graves

Hi Tom...

Should have's, why not's, wouldn't you's can be fun thought exercises yet what does that get us?

The question to ask is whether the revolver turned in is the same as the revolver that was supposedly in his possession. Since Seaport is bogus and he also says he got the gun elsewhere... had you considered the DUPLICITY of this situation as it fits with the DUPLICITY is most every other one....

2 guns... the one Oswald MAY have gotten from his room and the one used in the shooting... I think if you read thru each of the statements from the "arresting officers" at the scene in the theater you'd have a better feel for the "gun in Oswald's hand going 'snap'" and who had what... if "whoever" was able to place an unfired mail order rifle under some boxes - is it so hard to see the same set-up with the revolver?

-----

I'm also curious about that statement....

If, as you think, the revolver was planted on Oswald at the theater, who, then, do you think came up with the classic Oswald line as to why he had taken the dang thing with him to the picture show -- "You know how boys do when they have a gun, they just carry it."

Fritz, on page 600 of WCR Appendix 11, types this line... it does not appear in his notes...

This is the opening of A11... and yet days/weeks later (after his death) you want us to believe he and the others were get these "quotes" correctly ??

As discussed in chapters IV and V, Ike Harvey Oswald was interrogated

for a total of approximately 12 hours between 2:30 p.m. on

Friday, November 22,1963, and 11:15 a.m. on Sunday, November 24,

1963. There were no stenographic or tape recordings of these ihterviews.

Several of the investigators present at one or more of the

interrogation sessions, prior to testifying before the Commission, had

prepared memoranda setting forth their recollections of the questioning

of Oswald and his responses. The following are the most

important of these reports.

[...]

This is the opening of A11... and yet days/weeks later (after his death) you want us to believe he and the others were get [sic] these "quotes" correctly [sic]??

[...]

David,

I see your point. They needed a proofreader.

Hmmm, actually, that wouldn't explain it, would it.

You seem to be arguing that the the bad guys made that sentence up and put it in Oswald's mouth. i'm saying they probably didn't make it up because I don't think they were clever enough to not answer the question in such a creative, Oswald-like way.

But you're right. Oswald probably didn't say exactly that sentence. He probably said, "You know how young guys are when they have a gun, they just carry it," and they misquoted him, seein' as how so much time had elapsed and all.

Question: Since the bad guys claimed that Oswald denied owning a rifle, why didn't they have him deny owning a revolver, too? Then, they could "produce" the one he may-or-may-not have owned and substituted it for the one that may-or-may-not have been planted on him in the theater, yelled xxxx xxxx pants on fire, publicized it, and gotten their own gun back!

Edited by Thomas Graves