The Education Forum

The train windows in Nix compared to Murray

Jack White

The Nix camera was about 4 times as far from the train windows

as the Murray camera, yet both show the windows at the same

scale. Possible? I believe not.

Jack :o

I believe this effect relates to focal length. A telephoto lense brings objects proportionately closer than a shorter focal length lense.

Tim

Edited by Tim Carroll

Jack

The Murray photo shows the rail car windows foreshortened and much taller than the Nix frame.

But thanks for another clear picture of Kilroy (the Classic Gunman)

Shanet

"challenging and debating"

Edited by Shanet Clark

I believe this effect relates to focal length.  A telephoto lense brings objects proportionately closer than a shorter focal length lense.

Tim

Tim is right in part - there is a varying foreshortening effect going on with one camera over the other. The more zoom on the lens - the greater the foreshortening effect.

But there is more to it than this. The scaling of the two photos against one another is also a factor. One photo taken far away - the other taken close up. All Jack has done was scale the two train windows to about the same size and has ignored the vast differrences in size of everything else within the photo. Had he of done it the other way by scaling something else to match the size of something in the RR yard - then the train windows would no longer match in size. Here is an example ...

Below is Moorman's photo of the limo and a Muchmore film frame of the limo. Muchmore was basically looking over Moorman's shoulder when JFK was fatally shot. Two different cameras seeing the same thing from different distances. I have placed Moorman's photo over the Muchmore frame and made the rear wheel on the limo the same size in both. Notice how much different in size the wall, the pedestal, Hudson on the steps and other things are between the two images even though the limo is to scale in both images. (see attachment 1)

Edited by Bill Miller