The Education Forum

Oswald's Interrogation

William Kelly

Martin, I contacted John Armstrong and asked him about the interrogation and he referred me to his files at Baylor library, but I couldn't find anything there about the interrogations. Maybe somebody else can, or relate what John says in his book (I don't have my copy of his book on hand).

As for my approach Ken, I do not look for proof of conspiracy but instead look for new evidence, documents and witnesses, and am surprised at how much is still out there.

Some of the assessments of Oswald from those who were there:

"He conducted himself, I believe, better than anyone I have ever seen during interrogation. he was calm and wasn't nervous." - Dallas Homicide detective Richard M. Sims

"He didn't hesitate about his answers. I mean as soon as you would pop him a question, he would shoot you an answer right back and like I said I never saw a man that could answer questions like he did...When someone asked him why he shut the President, that seemed like that's what upset him." - Dallas Detective Elmer L. Boyd

"He spoke very loudly...he gave an emphatic denial....I suppose the word 'fanatically' would describe it." FBI Agent James W. Bookout

"Oswald frantically denied shooting Dallas police officer Tippit or shooting President John F. Kennedy....Oswald at no time appeared confused or in doubt as to whether or not he should answer a question. On the contrary, he was quite alert and showed no hesitancy in answering those questions which he wanted to answer, and quite skillful in parrying those questions which he did not want to answer. I got the impression that he had disciplined his mind and reflexes to a state where I personally doubted if he would ever had confessed. He denied emphatically having taken part in or having any knowledge of the shooting of the Policeman Tippit, or the President, stating that so far as he is concerned the reason he was in custody was because he 'popped' a policeman on the nose in the theater on Jefferson Avenue." - Postal Inspector Harry Holmes